July PCAT study group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallace12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is taking the PCAT in July and would maybe want to join together in this thread and ask for help and keep each other motivated for the test??
I'll be studying starting ~may 13th it's the Monday after my spring finals. I'll be using Dr Collins and MAYBE cracking pcat by PR. But it doesn't matter what materials we use we can still help each other out. Lets kill this test and get accepted into pharmacy school!
LETS GOOOOO!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First post. Nervous right now. I'm at the test center already waiting in the break room. Test is at 12:30. READY TO GET THIS OVER WITH!!!

VA 406 56 :(
Bio 423 84
RC 399 49 :(((((
QA 447 97 ?!
Ch 444 95

composite 90

Here are my scores. SO GLAD IT'S OVER!!!!!! Kind of disappointed in VA because I feel like I prepared that the most...and horrible time management with RC...had to guess last 10 ...but I was shocked with my QA because I am NOT a math person. Took calc 4 years ago.

Used:
-2009 Dr. Collins with 2010 update for math, chem, verbal, bio
- kaplan for bio only
- old class notes for orgo
- AP calc book from barrons- just for practice problems
- and most importantly, GOOGLE for everything

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! MOST IMPORTANTLY RELAX, manage time well, and have confidence by practice

Kinda sucks that all of the next test days fall on school days. You'd have to skip class right?

Yeah, with my summer class my teacher ess understanding to allowing me to do a make up test because I had a biochem test the same day, but I'm going it tomorrow...

Yeah, with my summer class my teacher ess understanding to allowing me to do a make up test because I had a biochem test the same day, but I'm going it tomorrow...

I'm not sure if I should retake it in the fall or wait until January.

Now that you've taken the test do you know what to improve on to get a higher score? For me I completely neglected VA and RC while studying

I'm not sure if I should retake it in the fall or wait until January.

Now that you've taken the test do you know what to improve on to get a higher score? For me I completely neglected VA and RC while studying

Quant and rc, I think for rc I won't try to rush through like I thought would help, focus on getting more correct without worrying about time. And quant I didn't focus on at all and did horrible. That will help me a ton I BOMBED both of those...

I just finished and couldn't be happier =D

VA:74
Bio:92
RC:62:oops:
QA:82
Chem:99

Comp: 95:D

In my opinion, Dr. Collins really helped

I'm so glad it's over! I thought I completely bombed math and reading and I for sure thought I was going to get a horrible score. I couldn't look at my score until I got home because I thought I would get so upset. But I guess I'm content with my scores.

Verbal - 58 :)( I thought I did so well on it!)
Biology - 84
Reading - 69 (better than I thought!)
Quantitative - 67 (WAYY better than I thought)
Chemistry - 93

Composite - 82

I knew I could've done better if I started studying earlier. I only started hardcore studying maybe a week and a half ago. I used Kaplan for bio which didn't really help and Collins for everything else. I also took the 3 Pearson practice tests which were easier than the actual thing. The math is comparable to the real PCAT. I saw about 5 exact questions from Collins on the verbal.

Overall.. I'm okay with my scores. Not completely happy but it's enough to get me into my first choice. So that's good! Good luck to everyone else taking it later today! And thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished but how do I interpret my score? lol BTW congrats to everyone who took the pcat! :thumbup::thumbup:

I just finished but how do I interpret my score? lol BTW congrats to everyone who took the pcat! :thumbup::thumbup:

I mostly looked at the PR (percentile rank). It shows you what percent of the questions that you got right. The last score is the composite score and that's the percent that you got overall.

Took it today for my 2nd time!

VA: 423/82
Bio: 435/92
RC: 403/56
QA: 434/93
Chem:438/93
Composite:427/92

I did not use Collins, I used Kaplan 2013-2014, Peterson's, MCgraw-Hill, and AP Chemistry and MCAT Organic Chemistry. I found the Kaplan only helpful with Anatomy and Physiology and Organic Chemistry. Peterson's book was amazing.

I also bought the 3 Pearson Practice tests which I definately recommend.
I feel like today's test the biology was reaaaally specific and there was more orgo and biochem than last time

But happy with my scores because its a huge increase from last time :) Just study hard and trust in yourself

Ugh I have to take it in sept. I can't believe how bad I did. It's frustrating because I know I studied I guess I just underestimated how well I knew the material. Anyways these are my scores. I ran out of time for math so I just had to guess on like 10 questions.

Verbal 398/43
Biology 382/13
Reading 379/17
Quant 396/39
Chem 408/61
Comp 393/29

I just feel hopeless. My application stats are already struggling I have a ton of extracurricular and pharmacy related work experience. Will I even get looked at by pharmacy schools?
:-(

What is good about this being the July PCAT is that you are very early in the cycle. You have September, October, and maybe January (for some schools) to retake. What materials did you use? Personally I felt the Reading was a killer this time. I heard great things about Kaplan and PCAT Destroyer for both Biology and Reading.

Verbal (58)
Biology (92)
RC (20) :(
QA (85)
CHM (85)
Comp: 76

Kinda having mixed feelings right now. Dont know whether to retake or not. I was aiming for 80+ and came up a bit short. Fatigue kicked in the RC and my brain just started to give out. It really killed my composite. It could of easily been 80+ if I could of just stayed more focused. I have to think about it, but to retake or not? What do you guys think?

Oh and congratulations on all who got such amazing scores!!! :)

I just got a 54 I don't care I'm probably using this one too apply a lot of people get below this I got a 38 on verbal wtf that's normally my best section and bio 77 normally not that high and chem was my 2nd highest In surprised the QA was hard and verbal I guess was also

I'm sorry I was so mad I gave the wrong results my chem was 74 and biology was 80 I think these matter the most

It's not a 99, but I am still very happy with my score!

Verbal (412, 68)
Biology (435, 92)
Reading (443, 98)
QA (416, 77)
Chemistry (438, 93)
Composite (429, 94)

Thanks for all of the tips!

What I used to study:
Collins
Pearson practice tests 1-3
Kaplan bio and practice test (scored a 431 last night which is really spot on!)

VA= 82
Bio=79
RA = 21 WTF :mad:
QA = 77
Chem = 91
Comp= 78

ARGHH only 2 points away from a composite of 80, which was what I was aiming for. I am honestly so mad at my RA score. I personally felt like I failed on everything else and did really well on RA while taking hte exam...wtf happened? Not sure if retake or not...

Anyone in the Tx area know if I can get into UH with those scores and a 3.373 gpa? :(

I felt that QA, bio an chem was much much harder than Pearson's and Collins exam, especially QA.

Verbal (58)
Biology (92)
RC (20) :(
QA (85)
CHM (85)
Comp: 76

Kinda having mixed feelings right now. Dont know whether to retake or not. I was aiming for 80+ and came up a bit short. Fatigue kicked in the RC and my brain just started to give out. It really killed my composite. It could of easily been 80+ if I could of just stayed more focused. I have to think about it, but to retake or not? What do you guys think?

Oh and congratulations on all who got such amazing scores!!! :)

I feel that is a decent score, but you have solid scores all over the board and I think you are definitely +90 level if you take it again good luck:)

I took mine today. Definitely not happy with my scores. Pumped about chem, got 91% but royally messed up VA, RC and bio. Math wasn't bad, I did not mind that score. I haven't taken micro yet so that's why bio completely killed me. I was really upset earlier but I feel better now because I know what I need to focus on and I already signed up to retake it and I know that I'm not the only one that messed up so I don't feel so awful about myself anymore.

I took mine today. Definitely not happy with my scores. Pumped about chem, got 91% but royally messed up VA, RC and bio. Math wasn't bad, I did not mind that score. I haven't taken micro yet so that's why bio completely killed me. I was really upset earlier but I feel better now because I know what I need to focus on and I already signed up to retake it and I know that I'm not the only one that messed up so I don't feel so awful about myself anymore.

Don't feel so bad. A lot of people mess up on their first PCAT. At least you know the format now and can kill the next one. :)

I thought I was we'll prepare for the bio but it took me by surprise... There were more anatomy and micro stuff than I expected... Did dr Colin's bio section covered those stuff?

I thought I was we'll prepare for the bio but it took me by surprise... There were more anatomy and micro stuff than I expected... Did dr Colin's bio section covered those stuff?

Collins wasn't enough for anatomy and micro. I relied on my pathogenic micro and immunology classes for that. I heard MCAT books are good for micro. You could try that. The bio section was really specific. I had to guess on a few.

Took my PCAT today at 12:30!

VA- 423/82
Biology- 455/99
Chemistry- 472/99
RC- 431/94
QA- 430/91
Composite- 442/99

I'm seriously in a state of shock and am worried that I got someone else's scores lol :p I hope everything went well for y'all too!!!

Took my PCAT today at 12:30!

VA- 423/82
Biology- 455/99
Chemistry- 472/99
RC- 431/94
QA- 430/91
Composite- 442/99

I'm seriously in a state of shock and am worried that I got someone else's scores lol :p I hope everything went well for y'all too!!!

Wow! Amazing score! Congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:

wow i felt same, i thought bio was not going to be that bad but so specific.... so many name microbio... ahhh

Verbal: 437 94%
Biology: 435 92%
Reading: 426 91%
Quantitative 426 88%
Chem 430 88%
Comp 431 95%

First time, was not expecting this, only used the Kaplan book lol
Anyone know how the writing section will impact the prelim score?

Verbal: 437 94%
Biology: 435 92%
Reading: 426 91%
Quantitative 426 88%
Chem 430 88%
Comp 431 95%

First time, was not expecting this, only used the Kaplan book lol
Anyone know how the writing section will impact the prelim score?

It won't change your comp.

Everything i struggled on for the past month, i scored high in. Everything i thought i knew i scored low in. 57 composite smmfh im taking in september bout to register now. Im going even harder this time around.

I don't know how, but I took the PCAT today and scored a composite of 84! I'm super pumped. I scored in the 50s-60s range for VA, RC, and Bio and a 77 in QA. A miracle happened in chemistry though, and I scored 99 for that section. It's actually pretty funny to see all of my other scores compared to my chemistry score. (I don't know how as a biology major I scored a 51 in bio and a 99 in chem. My biology questions were SO SPECIFIC about things I have never even heard of before.)

I don't know how, but I took the PCAT today and scored a composite of 84! I'm super pumped. I scored in the 50s-60s range for VA, RC, and Bio and a 77 in QA. A miracle happened in chemistry though, and I scored 99 for that section. It's actually pretty funny to see all of my other scores compared to my chemistry score. (I don't know how as a biology major I scored a 51 in bio and a 99 in chem. My biology questions were SO SPECIFIC about things I have never even heard of before.)

Great job!

I feel that is a decent score, but you have solid scores all over the board and I think you are definitely +90 level if you take it again good luck:)
Thank you it may not be a 90+ but Im just glad its over. Im going to try and apply with this score. If I dont get accepted this year then I will retake it, get better score, and apply again. Rest is up to faith.

Well earned. Congratulations!

Last edited:
congratulations everyone on your scores!

I'm a little conflicted about mine..

VA: 412 68%
BIO: 396 35%
RC: 431 94%
QA: 434 93%
CHEM: 434 91%
COMP: 421 87%

Biology was always my highest scoring section on the pearson tests, but now it is my lowest! Also.. I have no clue how I pulled off that RC score. Since pharmacy schools look at bio and chem the most, should I retake?

congratulations everyone on your scores!

I'm a little conflicted about mine..

VA: 412 68%
BIO: 396 35%
RC: 431 94%
QA: 434 93%
CHEM: 434 91%
COMP: 421 87%

Biology was always my highest scoring section on the pearson tests, but now it is my lowest! Also.. I have no clue how I pulled off that RC score. Since pharmacy schools look at bio and chem the most, should I retake?

I wouldn't retake if I was you. That is an AWESOME composite score. If you have good grades in your biology classes, I think it will be fine. I'm a biology major and have all my prepharm reqs done, and I scored a 51% in bio. (I have a composite 84 though, and no way am I going through that again.) On all of the Pearson tests I scored 80-99%, so I was shocked. My test had so many stupid nutrition questions that I've never even heard of it. Take it easy and relax - you have a great score.

So I had my test this afternoon and I just completely bombed reading comp and verbal.

I hadn't really looked at verbal or reading until briefly the night before and that's what really killed me. I just totally miscalculated my timing. I think I'll try retesting in one of the Sept. dates if I can get a spot. I know my composite is competitive but I am just disappointed I'm scoring so low in verbal and reading comp especially.

Should I just go ahead and submit my app in a couple weeks once I finish my personal statement? As of today too, I finished all my prereqs (I had my stats final also).

Scores were:
Verbal 409/63
Bio 484/99
Reading 392/36
Quant 420/82
Chem 422/81
Composite 425/91

Congrats everyone on getting the test done! The next step is submitting and waiting.

I'm satisfied with my scores. Got an 85comp with 60rc my lowest score. I did the same as I did 4yrs ago, so I'm good with that. :)

For those of you trying to decide whether you'll retake.. I guess you need ask the colleges you want to apply to. I talked to my advisor two months ago and she said to aim for 50-60 on the pcat since that is good enough for them. She also said to not worry about the essay because they do their own assessment during the interview. So it depends on the school.

Hey guys took my yesterday.. After a couple of hours of wallowing in self pity . I'm finally ready to share my scores .
VA 419/ 78
BIO 440/95
RC431/94
QA 381/13 ( which is why I'm sad) I av no idea wtf happened
CHM 430/88
Composite 420/85

I can't believe I scored so low on the QA section. I could make up excuses like I was drained and such but I'm sure admissions dnt care abt that. I guess my question is can one really REALLY REALLY bad section hurt my chances?! ��

Dang, I'm sorry! Was it that you got confused on that section, or didn't study it enough? My summer class was stats, so that helped me a little bit. I definitely made a bad choice of not looking at verbal or reading comp. though.