July PCAT study group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallace12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is taking the PCAT in July and would maybe want to join together in this thread and ask for help and keep each other motivated for the test??
I'll be studying starting ~may 13th it's the Monday after my spring finals. I'll be using Dr Collins and MAYBE cracking pcat by PR. But it doesn't matter what materials we use we can still help each other out. Lets kill this test and get accepted into pharmacy school!
LETS GOOOOO!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay thanks. I am worried, Everyone is saying that the Practice test 4 was super hard and its just a way to kill your confidence.

Yeahh, I took that one this morning. I stopped after biology because I knew I wasn't doing that well and I didn't want it to kill my confidence after doing so well on test 2 and 3. I think you'll be just fine!

You kind of answered my question but still, which one would help me the most? I'm assuming harder is better but I don't wanna take it if it was nothing like the actual exam (question-wise).

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick chem question:

In Dr. Collins' practice chem exam 6, #9 asks which of the following structures is a weak acid.

The choices are

A) Alcohol
B) Ester
C) Aldehyde
D) Carboxylic acid

Answer: D

It gives the structures of these and I thought carboxylic acids were really strong. So I chose aldehyde. Can anyone explain?

Quick chem question:

In Dr. Collins' practice chem exam 6, #9 asks which of the following structures is a weak acid.

The choices are

A) Alcohol
B) Ester
C) Aldehyde
D) Carboxylic acid

Answer: D

It gives the structures of these and I thought carboxylic acids were really strong. So I chose aldehyde. Can anyone explain?

I think it meant only carboxylic acid is an acid and others are not acidic. Carboxylic acid is a weak acid.

I'm currently taking test 4.. Seeing the large number of questions I missed is making me really scared.

Like everyone else says, it's by far the hardest of all tests. :scared: If tomorrow's exam is anything like this, I am going to die. :(

I'm currently taking test 4.. Seeing the large number of questions I missed is making me really scared.

Like everyone else says, it's by far the hardest of all tests. :scared: If tomorrow's exam is anything like this, I am going to die. :(

I agree, same here. I am ashamed at myself. The first 3 tests I have been doing so well but on test 4, I feel like i have learned nothing at all. Horrible.

I started it but stopped because I was getting discouraged. I don't know if I should finish it if it's going to make me feel dumb.

I started it but stopped because I was getting discouraged. I don't know if I should finish it if it's going to make me feel dumb.

Stop it. I finished it, and well I feel really discouraged about tomorrow. If the pcat is anything like test 4 then my score will be bad. Feeling so down right now.

Hey guys. I just joined this site. I am taking my PCAT tomorrow and I am seriously terrified. I've been studying since March, but was only very lightly studying until the beginning of may. This is my first time taking it. I have kaplan prep books and I'm currently going through test 4 from kaplan but I'm not liking how it is making me feel for tomorrow. I haven't taken Mircobiology yet so it's really discouraging me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished. I have to admit, I should have taken the Pearson practice exams, as there was a lot of orgo and biochem that the Kaplan course failed to cover.

Preliminaries:
VA: 392/33%
Bio: 440/95%
RC: 409/68%
QA: 399/45%
Chem: 405/56%
Composite: 409/66%

Looks like I'm going to need to have another go at this in October. Luckily, I know what I need improvement on, and now I know that the practice exams really are necessary.

Should I retake?

VA: 52%
Bio: 69%
Chem: 93%
RC: 43%
QA: 82%
Composite: 76%

I started losing focus during RC because I thought I screwed up the chem section. Definitely could've been higher

Stop it. I finished it, and well I feel really discouraged about tomorrow. If the pcat is anything like test 4 then my score will be bad. Feeling so down right now.

The test I took today wasn't as difficult as practice test 4. The reading comprehension section on the practice test was brutal and the math was really hard as well. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Just finished. I have to admit, I should have taken the Pearson practice exams, as there was a lot of orgo and biochem that the Kaplan course failed to cover.

Preliminaries:
VA: 392/33%
Bio: 440/95%
RC: 409/68%
QA: 399/45%
Chem: 405/56%
Composite: 409/66%

Looks like I'm going to need to have another go at this in October. Luckily, I know what I need improvement on, and now I know that the practice exams really are necessary.

did they list how many questions you got right to get those scoreS?

Should I retake?

VA: 52%
Bio: 69%
Chem: 93%
RC: 43%
QA: 82%
Composite: 76%

I started losing focus during RC because I thought I screwed up the chem section. Definitely could've been higher

A 70%+ is competitive. You killed the chem section. I would not retake. You have a shot at getting some acceptances with that score. Good job :thumbup:

Btw did you guys see any repetition of the pearsons prac tests questions on the real pcat?

Not the exact same question, but the same type of question, yes.

I actually got some Collins questions on my test though...

How many recipients were you allowed to designate when you registered for the test???

I thought they said 3 but they allowed me to designate 12 schools

Not the exact same question, but the same type of question, yes.

I actually got some Collins questions on my test though...
Ok thats good because I did all their prac tests except math(just not enough time -_-). Hopefully there is some of the Bio and chem on mine since those are the ones I have mastered best. I just memorized the verbal and didnt even bother with RC. Had to spend more time on math. thanks.

Guys,

Finished the PCAT. Got a good composite score than I expected.

Verbal 74
Bio 99
RC 41
Quant 72
Chem 98
Composite 92

My study materials were:
Petersons PCAT guide
Kaplan MCAT bio
Kaplan MCAT general chem
verbal advantage
NOVA high freq GRE words
PCAT audio CDs
REA flash cards (only quant and chem)
Collins material
Pearson practice tests 1 to 3. Took pearson practice 1 without timing (88-99%), pearson practice 2 timed (45-65%), pearson 3 timed (78-98%).

Dang man, You killed the Bio and Chem section. I am assuming the MCAT Bio and Chem help alot?
Where do you get all the other materials? Did you just buy them online or something?

just got my prelim scores and did MUCH better than I expected

Verbal: 432::91
Biology: 440::95
RC: 417::81
QA: 447::97
Chem: 455::98

Composite: 438::98

hopefully the official report does not deviate too much from my prelims!
study hard and good luck to the rest of you guys!

Man, congrats to you guys getting in the 90s.

Do all pharmacy schools only look at the most recent score or does it depend on the school?

I'd imagine they would consider your highest score if it happens to be the latest. As long as you show improvement from the last you should be fine in that regard

Prelim scores for July 17th exam:

VA: 427/87
BIO: 447/97
RC: 395/41
QA: 442/96
CHEM: 434/91

Composite: 429/94

Overall, I am very happy with my composite score. I scored higher on the real test than the Pearson practice tests. I am surprised at my reading score though because I scored lower on that than my practice exams, but it was probably my fault for letting myself get distracted by a extremely squeaky chair and a person trying to cough out his lungs -.- I just hope my writing score won't change my composite score ><

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TAKING IT TOMORROW! :)

Just finished and this is what I got
Verb 371/7 :(:(
Bio 411/63
Read 379/17 :(
QA 423/85
Chem 418/76
Over 400/45

I bomb at both VA and Read since English is my second language.

The school I'm willing to go have a minimum PCAT score requirement of 45th percentile which I have reached. But I have 3.79 ovarall GPA and 3.89 science GPA from CC.

I have scheduled a meeting with admission personal on next monday and will find out if I'm competitive for the school.

I just wanna say.. I HATE PCAT

lol

Guys i got a 94! Ahhhh. I totally i thought i bombed it.

VA 78
Biology 97
Reading comprehension 82
Quantitative 95
Chemistry 85
Composite 94

can someone explain something to me please. I am doing the test 4 and it is question 16 in the chem section. It gives a table of quantum numbers, which I hate, and I have always hated. It asks which set of quantum numbers could be for a 2s electron?
set n l ml s
1 1 0 0 -1/2
2 2 0 0 1/2
3 2 1 -1 -1/2
4 3 1 1 1/2

right away I know I can eliminate sets 3 and 4 because I know there has to be an orbital angular quantum number of 0 for the orbital to be s. but I do not know how to decide between set 1 or 2 if someone could help. please and thank youu.

can someone explain something to me please. I am doing the test 4 and it is question 16 in the chem section. It gives a table of quantum numbers, which I hate, and I have always hated. It asks which set of quantum numbers could be for a 2s electron?
set n l ml s
1 1 0 0 -1/2
2 2 0 0 1/2
3 2 1 -1 -1/2
4 3 1 1 1/2

right away I know I can eliminate sets 3 and 4 because I know there has to be an orbital angular quantum number of 0 for the orbital to be s. but I do not know how to decide between set 1 or 2 if someone could help. please and thank youu.

well. 2s means its on second shell (n=2) and should be l=0. so only option u have left is #2.

Dang man, You killed the Bio and Chem section. I am assuming the MCAT Bio and Chem help alot?
Where do you get all the other materials? Did you just buy them online or something?

Thanks's friend! MCAT bio is pretty good, I supplemented bio with PCAT audio CD bio section. For chem, MCAT gen chem along with collins helped me. The verbal advantage book, I got from my local library. The NOVA GRE words were from the NOVA GRE guide. I used it when I was preparing for the GRE.

hey guys, I'm new to this forum. and I just took my exam today. This is my Pre score

VA 390/30 :(
Bio 408/57
RC 392/36
QA 442/96
C 426/85
Composite 412/72 :(

I think I need to retake it again in October cause I did not spend enough time to study. I only spent 3wks to study for it and the only Prep book I used was Princeton PCAT that I borrowed from public library. So I would like some advices from you guys about what books should I use and how I should study so I can boost my score up to 90+. I saw that many of you using Dr. Collin. Where can I buy it? Or if you are using it, would you like to sell it to me?

btw, What is my chance to get accepted with the score above? I have a BS in biochem with GPA 3.65 overall and 3.75 science. I don't have any experience with Pharm cuz I thought I would apply for Med. school instead. But I worked at hospital for 2 yrs. I'm planing apply all Pharm schools in Texas and some other. What schools you think I will have better chance with my score and back ground?

set n l ml s
1 1 0 0 -1/2
2 2 0 0 1/2
3 2 1 -1 -1/2
4 3 1 1 1/2

look at n

Last edited:
set n l ml s
1 1 0 0 -1/2
2 2 0 0 1/2
3 2 1 -1 -1/2
4 3 1 1 1/2

you can eliminate 1 & 4 because we know "n" must equal 2. since its a "2s" orbital "l" cannot be 1. so the right answer is 2 because n=2 and l=0 representing a 2s orbital.

hey guys, I'm new to this forum. and I just took my exam today. This is my Pre score

VA 390/30 :(
Bio 408/57
RC 392/36
QA 442/96
C 426/85
Composite 412/72 :(

I think I need to retake it again in October cause I did not spend enough time to study. I only spent 3wks to study for it and the only Prep book I used was Princeton PCAT that I borrowed from public library. So I would like some advices from you guys about what books should I use and how I should study so I can boost my score up to 90+. I saw that many of you using Dr. Collin. Where can I buy it? Or if you are using it, would you like to sell it to me?

btw, What is my chance to get accepted with the score above? I have a BS in biochem with GPA 3.65 overall and 3.75 science. I don't have any experience with Pharm cuz I thought I would apply for Med. school instead. But I worked at hospital for 2 yrs. I'm planing apply all Pharm schools in Texas and some other. What schools you think I will have better chance with my score and back ground?

Don't be sad if I get a 70 I will be pleased I dominate on the verbal but I will score badly on the QA schools really care about the chem and bio

Debating if I should keep studying. I've been at it since 9 this morning. Anyone else still doing last minute studying? I haven't reviewed math today so maybe I'll do that. I just don't want to over study and drain myself.

Thanks, I hope so. The QA section is the one that scares me. There is just too much material from the past that I did not have enough time to cover

I totally thought I bombed the QA. Skipped so many questions

But just remember the tips for QA mentioned before and you'll get a high score

Man I really want to retake it and get in the 80s. I just hate how the next test days all land on school days

Verbal: 432/91
Biology: 421/79
RC: 426/91
QA: 442/96
Chem: 426/85
Comp: 429/94

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited: