July PCAT study group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallace12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is taking the PCAT in July and would maybe want to join together in this thread and ask for help and keep each other motivated for the test??
I'll be studying starting ~may 13th it's the Monday after my spring finals. I'll be using Dr Collins and MAYBE cracking pcat by PR. But it doesn't matter what materials we use we can still help each other out. Lets kill this test and get accepted into pharmacy school!
LETS GOOOOO!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the July PCAT Just started studying- got Dr. Collins in the mail today !

I shall start next week after finals. I have Kaplans Pcat 2012 (free from the library). I am tryjng to get a copy of Dr. Collins study guide off the net but every source I contact has already sold it. After next week I might get the original, just don't waht to spend $$$$.

Is anyone going to use the practice test?

Davincimed

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the pcat in July! Ill be going to a kaplan course and using dr Collins self study. I will start studying in about a week, I hope two months is enough time

I'm registered for July 17th PCAT, ill be starting in couple weeks after semester finals, i already have kaplan 2012 and Dr Collins notes with pcat destroyer. I hope to have enough time to study all these materials. Good luck everyone!

I'd be interested in forming a study/motivation group. Does everyone here have Skype? I'm using Dr. Collins right now since my library does not have the updated Kaplan book. Inbox me your Skype name if you're interested in working together!

Just curious, is anyone else taking any summer courses while studying for the pcat? I'll be in microbiology for the majority of the time up to the test (class is only like 6 weeks).

Just curious, is anyone else taking any summer courses while studying for the pcat? I'll be in microbiology for the majority of the time up to the test (class is only like 6 weeks).

Taking a public speaking course, so hopefully it won't be a handful like microbio :p.

Tootin my own horn: got a 96% on my ochem 2 final yesterday!!!! In lesser news, I'm dreading my bio final tomorrow. Evolution, ecology, and diversity. Class blows

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm taking physics full term(12 weeks). I was gonna add in organic 2 but that might be overdoing it. I need to nail the PCAT so hopefully working full time and physics wont be too much.

I think this is a great idea. I will need the motivational support. I will be using Cracking the PCAT and taking the kaplan PCAT course. I plan to take the PCAT Sept. 3, 2013

so my summer classes started yesterday. Fundamentals of Microbiology and Micro Lab (separate classes) they are gonna be intense! haha But I am going to be doing content review mostly math and gen chem for a week or two and hopefully i can get a good study routine down with my classes and the PCAT. So i will probably be in need of lots of motivation. I start working part time here in a few weeks too. But that will have a VERY small time commitment (pool boy, ~45 min a day).

What is everyone elses plans for studying this summer? How are you going about it if you are taking classes or working as well.

Yeah, so I feel you I am taking physics 1 and 2. I work full time at an outpatient oncology clinic, so I have decided to designate Friday evening and Sunday to PCAT studying until test day gets here... I hope this plan works.... The rest of the days is are dedicated to physics... this summer sucks!!!!!

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds Physics boring as hell and rather be taking Organic II or Biochemistry?

Hey guys... Can I join in on the study fun? I just decided to change my date from Sept. to July... YIIIKES.
I'm also taking TWENTY credits this summer... 8 of A&P (only 4 at a time, thankfully) Orgo 2, Physics 2, and Stats.... while working 2 jobs to pay for it. It's going to be HARD, but that acceptance letter will be worth it!

Woooo Motivation! (let's see how long this lasts!)

Right now I'm reading the free studyguide zone pdf that was recommended here while waiting for my Dr. Collins to arrive in the mail.

Anyone else NEED that 90th percentile like I do?

Is anyone up here taking the Kaplan prep course like me? Who knows that the Kaplan PCAT course is scientifically known to get you a higher score? I'm asking because my advisor would rather pay 1400 for the kaplan course than pay 360 for Dr. Collins.

I'm just doing a self study with dr Collins guide. I think either way it comes down to what you put into your studying. Study smart and it will show on the PCAT.

DAAANG! You're gonna be really busy. How are you gonna stay motivated? I also NEED a high pcat score, would love to get 90+.

How is everyone's studying going with summer classes or work? How are you all feeling about the test?

I need to get the practice tests once I get paid next week and practice those with dr Collins

Is there much difference between the 2010 and 2013 version of Collins?

From what I've heard: there's not much of a difference. You should be fine. Probably use the official Pearson practice tests too so you can see if there's by anything the old version (dr Collins) didn't cover ?

Anyone have any tips for Verbal? I used dr Collins today test #1 and got 31/50! I know my vocabulary isn't very large with 'fancy words' haha I'm from a small town

Hey guys! Taking the Pcat July 17th. I'm taking anatomy over the summer, working 32 hours a week as a tech, and being a single mom.

I have an older version of Dr. Collins that I am using..I'll be buying the practice tests from Pearson at the end of June. Gunning for a 90+ also :)

Hey everyone I am taking the PCAT in July also. Going to study the Dr. Collins many times throughout June. Hoping to get at least in the 80th percentile, prefer 90th percentile. I am down for study sessions. Good Luck to everyone on the PCAT in July.

I'm taking the July test too... I have no motivation to study... hopefully I turn around soon cause May is ending soon... YIKES!

I'll be taking Calculus and Statistics this Summer; I'll start studying for the PCAT in June

I ordered the following books from Amazon to use to study for the test
1. Kaplan PCAT 2012-2013
2. Get Into Pharmacy School: Rx for Success
3. CliffsQuickReview Anatomy and Physiology
4. CliffsQuickReview Biology
5. CliffsQuickReview Organic Chemistry
4. CliffsQuickReview Biochemistry I
(I read somewhere online that there will be biochemistry on the test)

I'm still looking for some more but this is all I got right now.

I also went to an open house at Uni. MD and some of the current students said that Dr. Collins and Kaplan were good PCAT study materials.

*raises hand* me me me me..lol
Sooner bred right here. I'm also African-American..not sure if that makes things more or less surprising.

Definitely OU, maybe SWOSU, and U of Colorado... but my top choice is VCU in Richmond, VA. I'm not done looking but my choices will definitely show a preference for schools with good residency options and dual degree programs, mostly on the east coast.

how about you?

Definitely OU, maybe SWOSU, and U of Colorado... but my top choice is VCU in Richmond, VA. I'm not done looking but my choices will definitely show a preference for schools with good residency options and dual degree programs, mostly on the east coast.

how about you?

Oh wow VCU that's a move. Are you looking for dual degrees with MBA ? I want to stay a lil closer to Oklahoma so OU, SWOSU (idk how many they accept outside of their undergrad program?), university of Colorado, UMKC, and a few others.

I am taking PCAT on July 18th @ 1200.
My location will be at Raleigh, NC.

It is very stressful to study.. However, I have learned a lot of great techniques and tips from SDN. Hopefully I'll do my best to satisfy myself and also the schools i'm applying.

Oh wow VCU that's a move. Are you looking for dual degrees with MBA ? I want to stay a lil closer to Oklahoma so OU, SWOSU (idk how many they accept outside of their undergrad program?), university of Colorado, UMKC, and a few others.

Actually, Masters or Ph.d in some area of pharmacy.

Hey everyone! I'm new here and taking the PCAT July 18th. I still haven't started studying yet because of classes and work. I have the Dr. Collins PCAT guide and I look at it from time to time. I am going to start studying ASAP. I'm looking to apply to U of H, TAMU, Howard and TSU. I'll probably take off some schools and add others but U of H is my top choice for now.

finally started studying.. working full time and trying to study for the PCAT has been a struggle.. I am using the kaplan book. hope i have enough time to coveer everything. any study tips will be much appreciated. Taking the july test. I live in texas so will be applying only to texas schools.
good luck everyone =-)

Hey guys... Can I join in on the study fun? I just decided to change my date from Sept. to July... YIIIKES.
I'm also taking TWENTY credits this summer... 8 of A&P (only 4 at a time, thankfully) Orgo 2, Physics 2, and Stats.... while working 2 jobs to pay for it. It's going to be HARD, but that acceptance letter will be worth it!

Woooo Motivation! (let's see how long this lasts!)

Right now I'm reading the free studyguide zone pdf that was recommended here while waiting for my Dr. Collins to arrive in the mail.

Anyone else NEED that 90th percentile like I do?
My hat is off to you... God Bless because that is a hell of a lot....:scared:

Hey all,

I was a pre-dental student before but since I wasn't academically competitive enough, I switched to pharmacy which I really enjoy as well.

I was wondering if I could use the same study material I used when I took the DAT (except the math and verbal) for PCAT as well?

I used the following:
-Exam crackers 1001 for Ochem, DAT destroyer for Gchem, Biology, and most of Math
-Barron's AP Bio and Cliff's 5 practice test

I have absolutely no idea what source to refer to for Verbal and I also don't know which practice exams I should get (Kaplan, Princeton,...) to prepare for the exam on the 18th of July.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Hm, I'm using a Kaplan book to prepare for my PCAT and I'm wondering if the actual PCAT MC has four or five options? I've asked a friend and she told me some went from A-F in terms of choices. Can anyone clarify for me?