Journey from Nursing to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*Update*

Hey guys checking in again. Just completed my summer semester. Unfortunately for this summer, I was not able to squeeze in a Chem 1B course at my local cc or state college, I'm highly considering taking it at UNE to accommodate my work/family schedule. I did manage to ace my other courses this summer. So here are my official summer grades:

Summer '16:
Community Health (3 unit course) - A
Medical Terminology (3 unit course) - A

For next semester, I've only enrolled in one course so far which is a food nutrition class. But do plan on squeezing in either Chem. 1B and O-chem I or Physics I. We'll see how that goes.

Fall '16
Food Nutrition & Health (3 units course) - *In progress*
O-chem I (TBD)
Physics I (TBD)
Chemistry 1B (4 unit course) - *In progress*
My friend you're welcome! Glad to see a fellow RN. I currently work in the cardiac ICU. We are in this together do not give up. I started this journey in Fall of 2015. I have my BSN too. So far have chem 1&2, genetics, with physics1&2 out of the way. I am taking Ochem 1 with upper levels chemistry and biology class with a sociology this fall. I am taking 16 car to pull up my gpa because I'm at 3.1 cGp and sCGp 3.4 right now. Would you like to get to know each other.?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My friend you're welcome! Glad to see a fellow RN. I currently work in the cardiac ICU. We are in this together do not give up. I started this journey in Fall of 2015. I have my BSN too. So far have chem 1&2, genetics, with physics1&2 out of the way. I am taking Ochem 1 with upper levels chemistry and biology class with a sociology this fall. I am taking 16 car to pull up my gpa because I'm at 3.1 cGp and sCGp 3.4 right now. Would you like to get to know each other.?

Nice!!! It looks like we have similar stats. Feel free to PM me whenever.

*Update*

Hey guys checking in again. Just completed my fall semester. Same situation as last time, I wasn't able to squeeze in all of the courses I needed, but managed to knock out some of them. I have also recently went down to part time to focus more on boosting my gpa and taking out some of these prereqs. So here's my official fall grades:

Fall '16

Food Nutrition & Health (3 units course) - A
Chemistry 1B - A

For next semester, I have officially enrolled in 3 courses (Physics 2a, Child Development, and Calculus). I was unable to squeeze in O-chem this semester as most if not all of them are offered only in Fall in my area.

Spring '17

Physics 2a (4 unit course) - *In progress*
Child Development (3 unit course) - *In progress*
Calculus (3 unit course) - *In progress*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, need some advice here. So far I've completed both my bio and chem courses, currently taking Physics 2a this spring semester. On paper, I would need 3 more courses (Physics 2B, and both O-chem courses). I am eyeballing for Fall of 2019 which means I'll be applying in 2018. I was thinking about studying Biochemistry during the summer, take Physics 2B for Fall semester of this year, and practice studying for the MCAT next spring while taking Organic Chemistry 1. What are your thoughts?

Most schools have organic as a pre-req for biochem. That alone might bar you from taking unless you have special permission from your advisor. I wouldn't do it personally and depends on your school and teacher, biochem can be either more bio or more chem. Mine was taught by a biochem phd, so minute chem details (mechanisms) were fair play. No way could I have done it without an organic chem exposure.

Most schools have organic as a pre-req for biochem. That alone might bar you from taking unless you have special permission from your advisor. I wouldn't do it personally and depends on your school and teacher, biochem can be either more bio or more chem. Mine was taught by a biochem phd, so minute chem details (mechanisms) were fair play. No way could I have done it without an organic chem exposure.

I see. I was just thinking about studying biochem alone with just a book and khan Academy without taking the course. But if since ochem is a prerequisite, I might consider taking it in fall with physics 2b.

I see. I was just thinking about studying biochem alone with just a book and khan Academy without taking the course. But if since ochem is a prerequisite, I might consider taking it in fall with physics 2b.
Call your school and ask though. I know my friend had to have special permission to take biochem without ochem2 at my university.

Call your school and ask though. I know my friend had to have special permission to take biochem without ochem2 at my university.

Just spoke to one of my close buds also a counselor at one of the colleges. It seems that that the only way to take biochem if I can convince the instructor to provide me with a permission number to enroll. Seems unlikely though as they are very hard-nosed. I don't want to stall and wait another year because of that. I might consider just sticking with self teaching myself biochem with some study materials passed down to me by some buddies to prep for the MCAT or perhaps look into UNE biochem course.

Last edited:
Just spoke to one of my close buds also a counselor at one of the colleges. It seems that that the only way to take biochem if I can convince the instructor to provide me with a permission number to enroll. Seems unlikely though as they are very hard-nosed. I don't want to stall and wait another year because of that. I might consider just sticking with self teaching myself biochem with some study materials passed down to me by some buddies to prep for the MCAT or perhaps look into UNE biochem course.

Those aren't actually terrible options. The UNE courses seem to be adequate. And as for teaching yourself... what you need to know for the MCAT is not too difficult to access through the many resources that are available. The only thing is if you are going someplace that considers the course a pre-req, in which case, yeah, you should take it somewhere. But you could even do that while you are interviewing.

I took my prereqs at ASU as a non-degree seeking graduate student. This way I was able to take gen chem, ochem, and physics at the same time.

I took my prereqs at ASU as a non-degree seeking graduate student. This way I was able to take gen chem, ochem, and physics at the same time.

Thanks bud for the insight, any advice is much appreciated.

I was lucky to find an O-chem 1 class that was a hybrid where you meet once a week for lab but complete the lecture part online. I found it at a community college. I'm a teacher thinking of making the transition to pharmacy! So, I work during the day and go at night.

*Update*

Hey guys checking in again. Just completed my fall semester. Same situation as last time, I wasn't able to squeeze in all of the courses I needed, but managed to knock out some of them. I have also recently went down to part time to focus more on boosting my gpa and taking out some of these prereqs. So here's my official fall grades:

Fall '16

Food Nutrition & Health (3 units course) - A
Chemistry 1B - A

For next semester, I have officially enrolled in 3 courses (Physics 2a, Child Development, and Calculus). I was unable to squeeze in O-chem this semester as most if not all of them are offered only in Fall in my area.

Spring '17

Physics 2a (4 unit course) - *In progress*
Child Development (3 unit course) - *In progress*
Calculus (3 unit course) - *In progress*

Hi OP. I came across this thread and I honestly just wanted to tell you how impressed I am. You are literally a personification of my goals, and I think it's awesome how you're staying accountable by posting your school progress. I also had a rough semester (maybe one and a half semesters lol) a couple of years back, and I didn't realize I wanted to study medicine until after it, so I've been so anxious overall worrying if I already blew my shot or if I still had a chance.
I'm currently in nursing school, and so far all I've heard from non-family members about the RN-->Med transition has been animosity or doubt, so it's nice to see another person's actual plan of action actively working. Yeah, there are other similar threads, but I think seeing your semesterly progress notes makes it more tangible. It definitely gives me hope!
Going through nursing school, I've only fallen more in love with the dynamics of healthcare and learning about how deeply intertwined everything is. I for sure want to learn as much about it as I can, so medical school just feels right as the "next step". I'm just glad someone else is in a similar situation cause for a while there it felt like a one-woman fight:laugh:

Hi OP. I came across this thread and I honestly just wanted to tell you how impressed I am. You are literally a personification of my goals, and I think it's awesome how you're staying accountable by posting your school progress. I also had a rough semester (maybe one and a half semesters lol) a couple of years back, and I didn't realize I wanted to study medicine until after it, so I've been so anxious overall worrying if I already blew my shot or if I still had a chance.
I'm currently in nursing school, and so far all I've heard from non-family members about the RN-->Med transition has been animosity or doubt, so it's nice to see another person's actual plan of action actively working. Yeah, there are other similar threads, but I think seeing your semesterly progress notes makes it more tangible. It definitely gives me hope!
Going through nursing school, I've only fallen more in love with the dynamics of healthcare and learning about how deeply intertwined everything is. I for sure want to learn as much about it as I can, so medical school just feels right as the "next step". I'm just glad someone else is in a similar situation cause for a while there it felt like a one-woman fight:laugh:

Hey thanks for the kind words. I wanted to create somewhat one a diary of my journey from start to finish. Just as you mention, it's hard to find consistent diaries of those journeying towards medicine. I wanted to keep this up, in hopes to achieving my goals and give hope to others who are in the same situation. If I do get in, I am thinking about discussing the struggles I've went through and how I overcame it. Definitely stay tuned.

How are fellow nurses' personal statements going? Man, we have our work cut out for us in ours!!! I suppose everyone does for different reasons though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Here's a video on how I went from nursing school to CRNA school to medical school. I talk about what courses I took, how I set my premed schedule around working as an ICU nurse, and I what I did to prepare for the MCAT. Hopefully, it helps you guys out there. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
How are fellow nurses' personal statements going? Man, we have our work cut out for us in ours!!! I suppose everyone does for different reasons though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Fellow ICU RN/ PreMed here.
Yes!!! the personal statement game is so real. Just get various people (proffesors, residents, family members, advisors) to review it.
I found that everyone had such a different opinion about what struck out to them most, and what I could improve on..ect.
Still working on mine, so I completely understand the struggle!!!
@NoTownPreMed awesome reading your thread! Wish you all the best on your journey!! BTW you can definitely take the MCAT with self study
of BioChem. You'll learn more, ACE the MCAT and then you can always take the class during the fall of app season like others have said.
Goodluck!!!

@ICUBlue I haven't actually gotten started on any of that yet. I do plan on including certain obstacles my family went through growing up and events that led me into pursuing medicine (Raised by a single mother with medical and psychiatric issues that occurred during/after the Cambodian Genocide, witnessing firsthand of the health disparity in my community growing up, and the struggles of going to school and working full-time while raising children, etc.) At this point I have a lot of things that come to mind but don't quite yet know how to put it all into one context. I'll definitely look for help with that sometime end of this year.

@sun_devil33 , thanks bud for the insight about your experience. I find it interesting that I can relate with you on many things about the experiences that have caused you to transitioning to medicine.

@LXJ34 thanks for your kind words and advice. It seems that I am leaning towards the route with self study on Biochem while studying for MCAT. We'll see how it goes.

@ICUBlue I haven't actually gotten started on any of that yet. I do plan on including certain obstacles my family went through growing up and events that led me into pursuing medicine (Raised by a single mother with medical and psychiatric issues that occurred during/after the Cambodian Genocide, witnessing firsthand of the health disparity in my community growing up, and the struggles of going to school and working full-time while raising children, etc.) At this point I have a lot of things that come to mind but don't quite yet know how to put it all into one context. I'll definitely look for help with that sometime end of this year.

@sun_devil33 , thanks bud for the insight about your experience. I find it interesting that I can relate with you on many things about the experiences that have caused you to transitioning to medicine.

@LXJ34 thanks for your kind words and advice. It seems that I am leaning towards the route with self study on Biochem while studying for MCAT. We'll see how it goes.

Word.

Hey guys, grades are in:

Spring '17
Physics 2a (4 unit course) - A
Child Development (3 unit course) - A
Calculus (3 unit course) - A

I want to also inform you guys that I will go on an indefinite hiatus from all of this. I won't go in great detail, but many things has happened these past months. I forgot how great and important it was to spend time with my kids and the wife. I am taking a good amount of time to spend more vacation time with my family. Also, I just started a new job that is offering great benefits, excellent pay, and a schedule that allows me to be more at home with my family. For those of you who have followed me from the beginning, thanks for all the love and support. Also, for those of you with families and good paying careers, know what's really important to you before you go on this journey. Not going to say that this was all a waste of time, because a part of me still wants to become a doc. But for the time being, I'm going to put all my efforts onto my family and new job. Again, thanks guys for reading all of this and hope to keep you guys updated in the near future.

Reactions: 1 users
I came across this thread today and wanted to provide a word of encouragement to you guys as well as share a little in my decision making process! I was RN for 11 years before applying to medical school; working in a variety of areas most recently PACU for the later 6 years. I'm currently 35, married, mom to 9 month old and drum roll please....3 months pregnant! After applying to medical school and not getting accepted or invited for an interview, I decided to do a 1 year intensive MSBS program to prove that I could be academically successful in a rigorous program with higher level academic courses. I had my son 2 days after fall finals and went back to school in the spring when he was 3 1/2 weeks old. This was extremely challenging but I was able to do it, and graduated with 3.7 GPA with my Masters in May 2017. All this to say, my success there, earned me a spot in medical school and I'm currently a MS1. Medical school is hard!! Much more challenging that any academic program Ive ever been a part of, including my intense Masters. If you really want it tho, it can be achieved! I have an incredibly supportive husband who is working to pay for my medical school but the cost is a certainly a big factor. With future value calculating and cost of education and childcare along the way, we figured unless I make at least 200K this path is not a financially wise decision for us; so make sure you compute where you stand in that regard. Even having the ability to pay our way and not take out loans that immediately accrue interest, that is the case so run the figures! Ultimately I decided, I just couldn't not see myself doing anything else, and this has always been my passion so I went for it. I feel like having been an nurse, we have a unique perspective to offer and i agree with several posts before, there is no way to gain this level of education, training, detailed understanding and knowledge in any advanced degree nursing program...Period! I extensively researched all the NP programs in my state, and in others and while this may be a good option for some people, if you really want the bare bones, detailed basis of the human body and disease processes, you're not gonna get it there, NP is more less a more comprehensive surface knowledge that gives you professionally more autonomy. Its no where near the complexity or detail as medical school; hence why it's only 2 more years past undergrad instead of 8-10. So you guys are right and there truly is no other place to gain this level of knowledge and understanding other than medical school. Its really cool to get so smart and to be learning what Ive always wanted to know too! If its what you really want, Don't give up! If I can do it with a baby and one on the way, oh and commuting an hour each direction to school, you can too! Im doing well academically too, A's & B's so far! While the golden age of medicine has passed, its still a great career! My husband is a doctor so I know ;)