Nursing student to MD/DO. Not sure what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evagria

Reaction score
Hi all!

Glad I found this website/forum because I was having no luck getting any constructive feedback anywhere else so I’m hoping the feedback is better here.

I am a 29 year old senior nursing student in an ADN program. I’ve always wanted to do medicine, even in high school but a string of bad decisions (aka abusive partners) led me down the path of least resistance and I chose nursing as a “happy medium” between nothing and medicine. I’ve been completing prereqs since 2017 and finally got into a nursing program. Now that I’ve left my former partner, I realize that I’m not happy where I am. Being a nurse is a tough job but I want to do more with my future career in the healthcare field and I want to become a doctor. However, my science grades are bad (currently a 2.8 with all of them together and is a 3.0 with just the very few med school prereqs of CHEM, BIO 1, and STAT) and my overall GPA is a 3.4.

I will graduate with my associates in May 2023 and I’ve read many mixed things about whether to do my BSN or do a bachelors in another field to better prep myself for the process of applying and being in medical school. I’ve also heard the route of post-bacc is a good option for those individuals who don’t have many science courses (I’ve only take bio 1, Chem 1, a&p 1+2, micro). I just feel lost and like time is running out because I’ll be 30 next year and don’t want to take any detours or longer routes to get where I need to go.

Many people have told me “why not NP school?” I know NPs are intelligent and very important but I’ve heard far too many horror stories from schooling(lack of resources, clinicals, coherent lessons and education) to actual practice to ever feel confident enough to be an NP and provide patient care.

So, anyone been in my situation?

Should I finish my BSN or go for a different bachelors degree?

Postbacc or SMP?

I’m open to both MD & DO but from my little research I’ve seen that DO often reviews more on the holistic approach and I would seemingly have a better shot at that school given my academic history but I’d love to hear all opinions.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who is also hoping to go from nursing to medicine, here is what I would recommend... You only get the financial aid associated with your Bachelor's degree once. It is better financially to not need a post-bacc/SMP. Once you graduate, you are no longer eligible for undergraduate financial assistance. That said, I would not go on to your BSN. There really is no point if you have already realized that you want to study medicine. If I were you, I would shoot for a degree in Biology, Chemistry, or even communications. However, try and knock out the rest of your pre-requisites, even taking extras if you know that you can use them to boost your GPA. Obviously, that's a double-sided coin. If you take an upper-level science class beyond the pre-reqs to try and bring your science GPA up, you run the risk of it bringing your GPA down if you don't do well in it. Overall, your GPA should be fine for MD/DO as long as you can bring it up with your remaining courses for your Bachelors degree.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above. I would recommend moving forward with a bachelors degree that is also conducive to you finishing off pre-reqs/classes to prep you for MCAT. Once you are done with your BA or BS and have taken the MCAT, reassess where you stand before moving on to a postbacc or smp. In general, if you can get your GPA above 3.0 (Ideally closer to the 3.5 range probably) and get at least a 505 or so on the MCAT, you should be in decent shape for DO schools. If you take enough courses and get your GPA above a 3.5 and get over a 510 to 515 on the MCAT, you'll be in striking range for some MD schools.

You have plenty of time, but you brought up one of the most frequent questions you personally will be asked on the med school interview trail. Be sure you have a very convincing answer to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t worry too much about the “horror stories” and seriously consider the NP option. NPs are perfectly capable of managing basic, bread-and-butter patient cases. Don’t waste all of your 30s on expensive schooling and life-sucking training.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not one of the experts here, but I can hopefully pass some info along.

You mentioned that you are turning 30 and don't want to make any major mistakes that will put you behind. That's natural, but you should keep in mind that things do take time, and if medicine is what you really want then it will be worth it in the end. The common phrasing is "You are in a marathon, not a sprint." So,

First, you are essentially starting your Sophomore year now, yes? Take a deep breath :) Your career is just starting! I don't know how many credits you've taken along the way since 2017, but you are talking about post-baccs and SMP now, yet you are still working on an AS. You have all of the time in the world left now to prove yourself academically. Upward trends from now and through university will put you in a GOOD position.

Second, I would switch majors as you said you didn't really want to be a nurse, but it was "better than nothing". The data generally shows BSN/etc degrees have (by far) the lowest MCAT scores (for what reason I can't say) of all pre-med majors. There is also still some stigma around these types of degrees, and I would challenge you to ask yourself if you really think that you wouldn't be more personally enriched and better prepared by taking up another major. At the end of the day you have to make the decisions that are best for you, not what you think will please someone sitting at a desk 2-3 years from now.

Third, I wouldn't worry about MD vs DO at this point. As I said earlier, you are basically just starting out. Right now you need to focus on figuring out your major, and then doing well in your coursework and planning for the MCAT.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the above. Settle in, work hard. I applied to both MD and DO schools. They have their pros and cons and I work alongside both. Unless you want to work internationally in certain countries, you can be whatever kind of doctor you want to be either way. NP is a reasonable route, but I also didn't feel like it was a good fit for my own personality and goals. Some NPs are really excellent, and some programs are excellent as well. Figure out your own identity as a student and applicant, and what ties it all together for you. I also started out later, and was concerned about it, but found people in their late 30s and older in my med school class. It worked out fine in the end. Though again, depending on life goals/family goals, there are some definite downsides to MD/DO vs NP.

Also an RN (BSN) and taking Postbacc classes hoping to apply next cycle. Thank you for posting this!

I wouldn’t worry too much about the “horror stories” and seriously consider the NP option. NPs are perfectly capable of managing basic, bread-and-butter patient cases. Don’t waste all of your 30s on expensive schooling and life-sucking training.
I don't know why only one person mentioned this option, but I think going this route is very reasonable.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
You never know when a bread and butter case becomes one that's not.

Hi all!

Glad I found this website/forum because I was having no luck getting any constructive feedback anywhere else so I’m hoping the feedback is better here.

I am a 29 year old senior nursing student in an ADN program. I’ve always wanted to do medicine, even in high school but a string of bad decisions (aka abusive partners) led me down the path of least resistance and I chose nursing as a “happy medium” between nothing and medicine. I’ve been completing prereqs since 2017 and finally got into a nursing program. Now that I’ve left my former partner, I realize that I’m not happy where I am. Being a nurse is a tough job but I want to do more with my future career in the healthcare field and I want to become a doctor. However, my science grades are bad (currently a 2.8 with all of them together and is a 3.0 with just the very few med school prereqs of CHEM, BIO 1, and STAT) and my overall GPA is a 3.4.

I will graduate with my associates in May 2023 and I’ve read many mixed things about whether to do my BSN or do a bachelors in another field to better prep myself for the process of applying and being in medical school. I’ve also heard the route of post-bacc is a good option for those individuals who don’t have many science courses (I’ve only take bio 1, Chem 1, a&p 1+2, micro). I just feel lost and like time is running out because I’ll be 30 next year and don’t want to take any detours or longer routes to get where I need to go.

Many people have told me “why not NP school?” I know NPs are intelligent and very important but I’ve heard far too many horror stories from schooling(lack of resources, clinicals, coherent lessons and education) to actual practice to ever feel confident enough to be an NP and provide patient care.
This is a really serious decision for me because nursing is a big part of my life, but I don't feel that it's totally mine. I know that there is a nursing shortage in our country, and I'd be happy to change the situation. Last month I even wrote a paper on it and can say that situation is pretty serious. Actually, this page https://supremestudy.com/essay-examples/nursing-shortage/ where I found few different nursing shortage essay examples inspired me to write on it because I planned something different. But after reading those examples and other online information, I managed to write my own paper and can say that in the USA, the situation is serious. But even this can't make me work in that space because I don't feel it's mine, and there will be nothing good for people and for me because it should be a desire to work in that space.

Postbacc or SMP?

I’m open to both MD & DO but from my little research I’ve seen that DO often reviews more on the holistic approach and I would seemingly have a better shot at that school given my academic history but I’d love to hear all opinions.

Thank you!
Well, first of all, in case you still have some doubts, I'm sure it's better to change major because what's the point of working somewhere you don't want? And even if you're in your thirties, it doesn't matter, and you still will have time to study what you like.
Move forward with a bachelor's degree, and prepare for the MCAT. Dedicate efforts to preparation, be sure that you have enough courses, and you'll have a good chance to get in MD schools.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Postbacc or SMP?

Thank you!
Get the easiest bachelors you can while finishing all the prerequisites with high grades. Given your 2.8, you should plan toward the DO route unless you're sure you want a surgical specialty

I would. In my experience, NP education is subpar and their management poor (due to said subpar education). Training matters. We are dealing with humans here. If all you want is a paycheck, by all means do NP. If you want to be competent at your job, go the MD/DO route