Journey from Nursing to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoTownPreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a long time lurker here. I've contemplated many times as to when I should pull the trigger and start taking prerequisite classes for medical school. Well after getting married, having two kids, and working as an RN for a good amount of years, and breaking the news to my wife, it seems like the best time is to start now. My first year in state college did not fare me so well (Withdrew all of my courses in Fall '06, and accumulated a whopping 0.067 GPA in Spring '07 for 15 unit attempts. THAT'S RIGHT GUYS, 0.067 gpa!!!!) Yes, I was one of those young and dumb immature guys who did not take college seriously and did not take the initiative to take school seriously until later. Since then, I've gotten my act together and managed to do well by getting by racking up a 3.67 GPA in my BSN program and getting mostly A's and B's on my science courses.

Factoring all of my grades, my current stats and are:

27 years old
cGPA: 3.065 (with about 154 college credit units accumulated)
sGPA: 3.733
4 years of nursing experience (Med-surg, Cardiovascular Unit, Critical Care)

My current flow chart as follows:

Fall '15 Completed
General Chemistry 1A - B
Biology 1 - A

Spring '16 Completed
Biology 2 - A-
Cultural Geography - A

Summer '16 Completed
Community Health (3 unit course) - A
Medical Terminology (3 unit course) - A

Fall '16 Completed
Food Nutrition & Health (3 units course) - A
Chemistry 1B - A

Spring '17 *In Progress*
Physics 2a (4 unit course) - *In progress*
Child Development (3 unit course) - *In progress*
Calculus (3 unit course) - *In progress*

Summer '17
TBD

Fall '17
TBD

Spring '18
TBD

Summer '18
TBD

Fall '18
TBD
By the time I finish my prerequisites, I will be 30, maybe even 31. The plan is to take two science courses a semester, but it will difficult for my case. I have two kids and am working full-time as a registered nurse. Squeezing in two science courses a semester is going to be tough in my situation, but I will definitely try. I am blessed to have a wife who understand my dreams and goals of becoming a physician, and is willing to be the breadwinner of the family should I get accepted into an MD/DO program. I'll do my best to update this thread with my progress in school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Welcome!

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm currently an ICU nurse working night shift too. I can understand the difficulty of balancing everything while taking classes. I just started Chem 1 and it's a little strange getting back into school mode. It's awesome that your wife is so supportive! Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome!

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm currently an ICU nurse working night shift too. I can understand the difficulty of balancing everything while taking classes. I just started Chem 1 and it's a little strange getting back into school mode. It's awesome that your wife is so supportive! Good luck to you!

It'll be quite a challenge, good to hear another member who are also following the same track towards medicine. Glad to have you bud!

Members don't see this ad :)
My class has an RN in it right now. Looks like you have a solid plan. My wife was supportive as well and it really helped. I did most of my undergrad with working nights and weekend 48's on the ambulance with double and triple stacked science and MCAT prep. It's a challenge, but definitely doable. Best of Luck!!!!

So you're not taking any advanced science? Not even Biochemistry (which is on the new MCAT?) I really really wish you could go down to part-time, even if it means taking out loans for living expenses, so that you can take more courses. I'd be worried that taking one lower level science course a semester does not show you can handle a med school curriculum. Maybe the BSN covers this? I really don't know. I wouldn't chance it though.

Whatever the case, good luck. I am starting med school at the same time as an ICU nurse I work with. It is totally doable and I'm sure all the knowledge you have accumulated thus far puts you ahead of the game.

So you're not taking any advanced science? Not even Biochemistry (which is on the new MCAT?) I really really wish you could go down to part-time, even if it means taking out loans for living expenses, so that you can take more courses. I'd be worried that taking one lower level science course a semester does not show you can handle a med school curriculum. Maybe the BSN covers this? I really don't know. I wouldn't chance it though.

Whatever the case, good luck. I am starting med school at the same time as an ICU nurse I work with. It is totally doable and I'm sure all the knowledge you have accumulated thus far puts you ahead of the game.

So far the only science courses I have take were science classes geared towards nursing (Intro. to Chem, Intro. to Bio, Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology <-- (if that's considered science), and Microbiology. I am flirting with the idea of taking Biochemistry for Spring '18 along with Physics I as it will help me study for the MCAT. I understand your concerns that taking one science course a semester may be frowned upon, but unfortunately for my case, I'm trying to salvage my grades along with taking a science course without jeopardizing my work/family schedule. Unfortunately for me, I have a mortgage, car/school loan, and children's expenses to pay for. The thought of getting into more debt at my age way earlier on the game may not be a wise decision for my family. We'll see down the line if anything changes, but I'll keep this board posted should anything happen. Thanks bud for the words of encouragement. :horns: On a side note, I'm starting to see a trend in a lot of ICU nurses converting to medicine on this board. Working in the ICU requires you to be a great critical thinker, a great attribute to have in med school I believe.

Last edited:
My class has an RN in it right now. Looks like you have a solid plan. My wife was supportive as well and it really helped. I did most of my undergrad with working nights and weekend 48's on the ambulance with double and triple stacked science and MCAT prep. It's a challenge, but definitely doable. Best of Luck!!!!

Thanks a lot bud for your words of encouragement. I'll definitely keep this board posted.

Only fault with your plan is taking physics 2 after the MCAT. You better be lock down on that stuff, because it will eat you on the test. I understand as a premed the tendency to want to save time, but speaking from painful experience I took the test before I finished the prerequisites and I didn't not receive an optimal outcome. Taking it once versus waiting a year because you couldn't wait is infinitely more preferable.

Reactions: 1 users
Only fault with your plan is taking physics 2 after the MCAT. You better be lock down on that stuff, because it will eat you on the test. I understand as a premed the tendency to want to save time, but speaking from painful experience I took the test before I finished the prerequisites and I didn't not receive an optimal outcome. Taking it once versus waiting a year because you couldn't wait is infinitely more preferable.

Thanks for your insight. Every comments/suggestions made in here will truly be noted.

You are trying to avoid debt but want to attend med school? Hmm. Have you thought about the NP degree?

You are trying to avoid debt but want to attend med school? Hmm. Have you thought about the NP degree?

Not necessarily "avoiding" debt, but trying to minimize it as much as possible. Should I take the route I've set forth myself, all of our school/car loans will be paid and have a good amount of equity on our house. If I happen to get into medical school, I will definitely quit my job, take out student loans and have my wife help take on the role as the financial supporter. I have considered an NP/CRNA route. But the fact of the matter is, you cannot REPLICATE an advanced practice nursing degree with education and knowledge you would receive from medical school and residency, you just can't.

NoTownPreMed- FYI pharmacology is considered science :) and from what I've heard the new MCAT does not have a lot of advanced physics, so if you're studying prep books or taking a course, you should do ok without physics 2. I've actually never taken it and managed an 8 then 9 on old MCAT based off studying prep books, but that's ME. Do what YOU feel you need to do. I am taking new MCAT as well soon so we shall see.

That being said, you NEED biochem for new MCAT. It is heavily incorporated. Don't take it without it.

a good mcat and few strategic retakes to boost the cgpa and you could be set for DO....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OP, I'm glad to hear that you're making the choice to pursue med school after working as an RN. I, myself used to be a CC RN and I worked for 2 years prior to starting med school. I like your plan, in terms of getting ready for med school and It's even better with the support of your wife. My advice would be to really make sure its something you want to do, before you go on the journey. I was one of the insane few that got lucky, because I graduated in 2012 and worked full time nights, while going to school FT and it sucks. But in retrospect, it was worth it. As long as you reasons for pursuing medicine are genuine, I think you'll be fine. But please keep in mind that you have to ace most, if not all of your science classes from now on. And you have to score well on the MCATs. It's sad but most schools use those two things to weed out many applicants. Best of luck OP!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys for your input. I'm blessed to have that many of you guys who have been there and done that are giving me tips to achieving my goals. As for the reasoning why I chose medicine, well many reasons but I'll list the main one. I've contemplated many times whether I should pursue an advanced nursing degree or start over and take classes for medical school. I work at a teaching hospital, where many graduate medical students do their residency. Many times, the attending physician and their residents would make rounds on our patients in the ICU and would discuss the patients past medical history, current diagnosis and contributing factors that can lead to their illness. They were always able to break things down to a more complex level, in order to find the underlying cause of the disease. Things like this has always piqued my interest, in nursing school we are solely taught to treat the patient. I've seen residents start out new like young live worms and come out to be outstanding physicians. My goal is to be able to reach that level of understanding, rather than scratching my head every time and having to read the doctors notes on the computer. I believe pursing in an advanced nursing degree will not help me reach that level, but medicine will.

That is true, and you have time to consider this; but what do you want to do or think you will do with that knowledge? Asking this in a positive light from a fellow critical care RN. :)

Try to shadow some physicians, and include DOs in that.

That is true, and you have time to consider this; but what do you want to do or think you will do with that knowledge? Asking this in a positive light from a fellow critical care RN. :)

Try to shadow some physicians, and include DOs in that.

With that, that is why I want to become an orthopedic surgeon :p just kidding. I've worked in the healthcare system for over 10 years, and many of those times I've used my expertise as a translator. I live an area heavily populated with those of the same ethnic background and in an area where I live, there are no physicians of the same background that can truly represent us. I want to be able to translate and apply what I've learned and help those who are underrepresented.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey need some input guys. I just realized that there are online courses offered by some institutions that can help fulfill some prerequisites. If that's the case, I'm considering taking Medical Biology 1 and 2 from UNE concurrently with my on-campus Chemistry 1 and 2. Perhaps balancing half and half with on-campus and online pre-requisites? Ultimately I would love to attend a DO program, but will apply to both MD and DO programs.

Last edited:
*Quick Update*

So I've taken some advices from you guys and have tweaked my courses a little bit.

Fall '15
Chemistry 1A @ local community college
Biology 1 @ UNE - online

Will keep you guys updated w/ my grades.

*Quick Update*

So I've taken some advices from you guys and have tweaked my courses a little bit.

Fall '15
Chemistry 1A @ local community college
Biology 1 @ UNE - online

Will keep you guys updated w/ my grades.
Didn't you already take biology 1and 2 with labs for your BSN? Or are you retaking for better grades?

We have a lot in common. Like really a lot. My first semester was almost as bad as yours, and I'm a few years older, but yeah, very similar story.

I pulled it off. I start at LECOM on Friday. Just keep your head down and keep moving forward. You can do this.

Didn't you already take biology 1and 2 with labs for your BSN? Or are you retaking for better grades?

Bio 1 and 2 aren't required for BSN.

I'd taken multiple higher science courses, in biology and chemistry, but never actually sat through Bio 1&2, or Chem 1&2. If you score high enough on the entrance exam my nursing school used, then it was understood that you had enough basic science and didn't need to actually take the intro courses.

It wasnt a requirement for my program. Only science courses were required are as follows: Intro to BIO, anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and intro to Chem.

We have a lot in common. Like really a lot. My first semester was almost as bad as yours, and I'm a few years older, but yeah, very similar story.

I pulled it off. I start at LECOM on Friday. Just keep your head down and keep moving forward. You can do this.

Thanks a bunch!!! I bet you're excited to start so soon.

I'd taken multiple higher science courses, in biology and chemistry, but never actually sat through Bio 1&2, or Chem 1&2. If you score high enough on the entrance exam my nursing school used, then it was understood that you had enough basic science and didn't need to actually take the intro courses.

It wasnt a requirement for my program. Only science courses were required are as follows: Intro to BIO, anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and intro to Chem.

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification

Depends upon the program, even back in the day, mine required these, b/c they were pre-requisites for the A&Ps and the Micro, and at my university it was a pre-req for pathophys.

Biochem was the most conceptual and material intensive course I've ever taken, including everything in nursing school. I wouldn't recommend testing the waters with biochem and physic at all.

I started on a med-surg. floor, but eventually went to the ICU. My talking patients always encouraged me to go to med school, so it's not always the case with ICU -> med school : ).

Last edited:
Not necessarily "avoiding" debt, but trying to minimize it as much as possible. Should I take the route I've set forth myself, all of our school/car loans will be paid and have a good amount of equity on our house. If I happen to get into medical school, I will definitely quit my job, take out student loans and have my wife help take on the role as the financial supporter. I have considered an NP/CRNA route. But the fact of the matter is, you cannot REPLICATE an advanced practice nursing degree with education and knowledge you would receive from medical school and residency, you just can't.
NP have equal or better outcomes!:rolleyes:. By the way, I was (am) a RN who is in med school and it's been fun so far.

Last edited:
NP have equal or better outcomes!:rolleyes:. By the way, I was (am) a RN who is in med school and it's been fun so far.
I was tired of having to get an order from a physician to give a patient tylenol:(. NP/PA are limited in FL, so that was not an option...

Yeah it can be a nuisance at times to get orders from something as simple as that. I'm not discrediting the results an NP may produce in terms of patient care, most I come across are awesome providers. My rationale in choosing nursing to medicine is that I want to sway away from the aspect of nursing model and understand the whole philosophy of medicine.

Well, I just want to say that we just can't negate the innate ability of the particular practitioner.

Eg. There is a psychiatrists that I want to strangle right about now. He took a rapid cycler BPD off a recipe that the PNP has worked, titrated, and monitored closely for over a year. She had the patient in best state he had been in for years. PNP was moved elsewhere, "experienced" psychiatrist takes over the case, and now the BPD patient is in big trouble. What a freaking mess. Psychiatrist's rationale is use of primarily what he feels EBP says, while ignoring the fact that every patient and their brain chemistry is very individual. If something is working and the benefits outweigh the risks, why screw with a good thing?

You can be disgusted with anyone's practice, regardless of credentials--depending on the insight and innate ability to reason from all relevant perspectives by the particular practitioner.

I started on a med-surg. floor, but eventually went to the ICU. My talking patients always encouraged me to go to med school, so it's not always the case with ICU -> med school : ).

But you too are transitioning from ICU :p. I too started on the med-surg floor, then moved to cardiovascular floor and eventually ICU.

Yeah it can be a nuisance at times to get orders from something as simple as that. I'm not discrediting the results an NP may produce in terms of patient care, most I come across are awesome providers. My rationale in choosing nursing to medicine is that I want to sway away from the aspect of nursing model and understand the whole philosophy of medicine.

I completely agree! I feel that NP's have great outcomes and in a lot of cases are more empathetic than most physicians, but the educational models of nursing versus medical school is completely different! Nursing school was tough, don't get me wrong, but there was a lack of depth in nursing school. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong, but I felt that nursing school just taught me the bare essentials of managing patients. In medical school, we're forced to delve deep into the nitty gritty of each disease and focus on everything from the microscopic level all the way to the overt presentation of the patient. I'm not saying that NP's lack the knowledge, because a lot of NP's are great, but it's hard to sit here and say that an NP curriculum trumps that of a medical school curriculum. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.

I completely agree! I feel that NP's have great outcomes and in a lot of cases are more empathetic than most physicians, but the educational models of nursing versus medical school is completely different! Nursing school was tough, don't get me wrong, but there was a lack of depth in nursing school. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong, but I felt that nursing school just taught me the bare essentials of managing patients. In medical school, we're forced to delve deep into the nitty gritty of each disease and focus on everything from the microscopic level all the way to the overt presentation of the patient. I'm not saying that NP's lack the knowledge, because a lot of NP's are great, but it's hard to sit here and say that an NP curriculum trumps that of a medical school curriculum. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.

Yes, but there comes a time when it all comes down to how you further develop and especially HOW YOU WILL USE that knowledge. Regardless of titles, truth be told, some folks are better at it than others. I again refer to the above example and could sight a few others.
My interest in MS over NP school is for me to ideally best serve my patients in that role. But I have no doubt that I have experiences from years of clinical exposure and my own study and abilities that will benefit me over someone that may not. Yes, that would definitely depend on the individual, and that is my point. But we can't neglect the significance and power of years of certain kinds of clinical experience. That's just idiotic.

Long time reader/lurker. First time posting.

I too am an ICU Nurse currently in the application process. I have applied to 5 total medical programs. I've worked in CVICU and now Medical/Surgical ICU. I have the CCRN certification from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. For the last year and a half, I have worked nights full time while completing the prerequisites for medical school. It is a long road that requires a tremendous amount of diligence and hard work. I am excited that I am finally in the application process now. I have submitted all of secondary applications and am awaiting interview invites at this time. My reason for wanting to pursue medicine after nursing is that I feel like my skills and knowledge will be best served from the physician role. I also feel it will give me a unique perspective as a physician. I took the MCAT 2015 in April. The new MCAT was heavy on biochemistry and biology principles. The new psychology and sociology section is not as easy as many think. The new topics in biochemistry, psychology, and sociology requires many hours of studying and practice questions. Physics is not a heavy portion in the MCAT 2015. It only accounts for 12% of the physical sciences section. Overall, my advice would be to keep working hard and stay focused on your goals! The application process will be here before you know it and you will be on your way to being a great physician!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Long time reader/lurker. First time posting.

I too am an ICU Nurse currently in the application process. I have applied to 5 total medical programs. I've worked in CVICU and now Medical/Surgical ICU. I have the CCRN certification from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. For the last year and a half, I have worked nights full time while completing the prerequisites for medical school. It is a long road that requires a tremendous amount of diligence and hard work. I am excited that I am finally in the application process now. I have submitted all of secondary applications and am awaiting interview invites at this time. My reason for wanting to pursue medicine after nursing is that I feel like my skills and knowledge will be best served from the physician role. I also feel it will give me a unique perspective as a physician. I took the MCAT 2015 in April. The new MCAT was heavy on biochemistry and biology principles. The new psychology and sociology section is not as easy as many think. The new topics in biochemistry, psychology, and sociology requires many hours of studying and practice questions. Physics is not a heavy portion in the MCAT 2015. It only accounts for 12% of the physical sciences section. Overall, my advice would be to keep working hard and stay focused on your goals! The application process will be here before you know it and you will be on your way to being a great physician!

Thanks a bunch for the advice, I wish you the best of luck on the app process!!!

35-year-old ED nurse here (I'm surrounded by ICU'ers!), in this year's application cycle too. I've seen you in other threads and just wanted to drop you and everyone else some good luck glitter. Happy to talk via PM if you ever want to.

Reactions: 2 users
Just letting you know I'm following you're thread! I'm an RN applying next cycle.

Thanks. I plan on updating my progress every semester. Included with the updates, I plan on including my experience of balancing out family, school, and work.

35-year-old ED nurse here (I'm surrounded by ICU'ers!), in this year's application cycle too. I've seen you in other threads and just wanted to drop you and everyone else some good luck glitter. Happy to talk via PM if you ever want to.

Thanks bud, I've also followed some of your posts, seems like luck is on your side thus far. Will definitely PM you in the future!

Sorry I wasn't more eloquent before...I worked a 13 hour shift and then drove 3 hours to get to my hometown for a visit while I have a break from school. I am cheering for you and wishing you success! I'll be following your cycle!

Don't feel too bad.....I'm really out of the inner circle, I'm a prison nurse!

A RN here too...I think it would be awesome to have a thread that we all keep up and update how we are doing with this pre med/med school process. I did not realize how many RN want to go to medical school until I "addict" myself to SDN *=_+

Hey guys, been a long time lurker here. I've contemplated many times as to when I should pull the trigger and start taking prerequisite classes for medical school. Well after getting married, having two kids, and working as an RN for a good amount of years, and BREAKING THE NEWS TO MY WIFE, it seems like the best time is to start now. My first year in state college did not fare me so well (Withdrew all of my courses in Fall '06, and accumulated a whopping 0.067 GPA in Spring '07 for 15 unit attempts. THAT'S RIGHT GUYS, 0.067 gpa!!!!) Yes, I was one of those young and dumb immature guys who did not take college seriously and did not take the initiative to take school seriously until later. Since then, I've gotten my act together and managed to do well by getting by racking up a 3.67 GPA in my BSN program and getting mostly A's and B's on my science courses (Intro. to Chem = "B", Anatomy = "A", Physiology = "A", Microbiology = "A")
Factoring all of my grades, my current stats and are:

27 years old
cGPA: 3.065 (with about 154 college credit units accumulated) <--- I guess you can say I barely made the cut-off in here??? :)
sGPA: 3.733
4 years of nursing experience (Med-surg, Cardiovascular Unit, Critical Care)

I haven't started on my premed prerequisites but have enrolled in General Chemistry 1 for the following Fall '15. I plan on take each science courses a semester, balancing it out by repeating the courses I have failed back in Spring '07 (Damn you 0.067 GPA!!!). My current flow chart as follows:

Fall '15 *Currently In-Progress*
General Chemistry 1
Biology 1

Spring '16
TBD

Summer '16
TBD

Fall '16
TBD

Spring '17
TBD

Summer '17
TBD

Fall '17
TBD

Spring '18
TBD

Summer '18
TBD

Fall '18
TBD
By the time I finish my prerequisites, I will be 30/31, maybe even 32. Some of you guys are probably thinking, why are you slowing it down and not taking two science classes a semester?!?!?! Well, I have two kids, and am working full-time NOC shift as a registered nurse. Squeezing in a science course a semester is already taking a load on my schedule with family and work, the thought of throwing in another science course in the mix will force me to work part-time, something I cannot afford to do at the moment. I am blessed to have a wife who understand my dreams and goals of becoming a physician, and is willing to be the breadwinner of the family, should I get accepted into an MD/DO program. I'll do my best to update this thread with my progress in school. :)

New ICU RN here. Once was a bio/chem major who switched to Nursing due to circumstances as a foreigner. But after 1 year as a nurse on a med/surg floor, I have revamped my thought to pursue medicine...Since I can earn another degree while completing my pre-req, I have decided to go for it. So far I have enrolled as follows
Gen Chem I w/ Lab
College Physics I w/ Lab
Genetics w/ Lab
Social Behavior (Psych): A research class
Survey of Research in Biochem/Biotechnology.
My area of interest is to pursue research in Medicine.
As a nurse be careful with whom you disclose your plan with. Most of your fellow RNs wont be happy that you're pursuing medicine. But we all will succeed. Good luck to you. Besides my unit has decided to give me every weekend job.

Hey, checking in to update on my progress. I am currently on the final week of my fall semester. I am currently sitting at an 88.9% on my chemistry with the ACS chemistry exam worth 15% and at a 93% on my biology class with a final left. Almost there guys, I'm looking forward to this winter break!!!!:horns:

Reactions: 4 users
Grades are in...

Fall '15:
Chemistry 1A (5 unit course)- 88.3% - "B" <-----Blahhhhh
Biol. 1 (4 unit course) - 94% - "A"

Fall '15 GPA: 3.44~.

Spring '16:
Chemistry 1B (5 unit course) - *In progress*
Biol. 2 (4 unit course) - *In progress*
Cultural Geography (3 unit course) - *In progress*

Last edited:
Same with the chem class for me. Chem 2 was a B. But I'm keeping my head up and ready to move on to org 1 and pre calculus

*Update*

Spring '16 Grades are up:
Biol. 2 - "B+"
Cultural Geography: "A"

Hey guys just checking in. Spring semester is officially done!!! Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from my Chem. 2 class as it was conflicting with my work & family schedule. I'm planning on taking it this summer or upcoming fall along with 2 other courses. So here's what Summer '16 looks like:

Chemistry 1B (maybe/4 unit course) - In progress
Community Health (3 unit course) - In progress
Medical Terminology (3 unit course) - In progress.

I will do my best to keep this thread going.

*Update*

Hey guys checking in again. Just completed my summer semester. Unfortunately for this summer, I was not able to squeeze in a Chem 1B course at my local cc or state college, I'm highly considering taking it at UNE to accommodate my work/family schedule. I did manage to ace my other courses this summer. So here are my official summer grades:

Summer '16:
Community Health (3 unit course) - A
Medical Terminology (3 unit course) - A

For next semester, I've only enrolled in one course so far which is a food nutrition class. But do plan on squeezing in either Chem. 1B and O-chem I or Physics I. We'll see how that goes.

Fall '16
Food Nutrition & Health (3 units course) - *In progress*
O-chem I (TBD)
Physics I (TBD)
Chemistry 1B (4 unit course) - *In progress*

Last edited: