Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Per my acceptance letter

"Tuition for the 2011-12 academic year is projected to be $42,816. During your second year, while on the field placement, you will be eligible to receive a Masters Tuition Scholarship, which will provide 75% tuition support during this portion of the program. This scholarship is in addition to any salary you will be earning as part of your field placement."

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the Masters Tuition scholarship is only for the MHA program. Once again, I'm not positive, but that was the impression I was under. So the international health program might end up costing more.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has heard about JHSPH scholarship/fellowship decisions. If you have, how were you informed?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my financial aid. Only 40K less than the cost of attendance (78K). Seeing as how I am a full-time student with no income and no family support, I have NO F'ING CLUE where I will get 40K. Yikes.

Got my financial aid. Only 40K less than the cost of attendance (78K). Seeing as how I am a full-time student with no income and no family support, I have NO F'ING CLUE where I will get 40K. Yikes.

There are still grad-plus loans you can apply for and work study (if you qualify). You might not get 40K out of these two options but might lower it somewhat.

after 8wks and 3 days i finally got accepted for the mph jhsph 2011 program. Best wishes for those still waiting for their descision.

what's the revised tuition for the 2011-2012 academic year and what's the most probable estimate for accommodation and living expenses? Secondly, how does one go about the visa application process?

How do we find out about our financial aid package?

I got an envelope in the mail. Tuition is approximately 50K and they estimate total cost for the year to be $78K. I am looking into Grad Plus loans now. Mmm, good luck.

I got an envelope in the mail. Tuition is approximately 50K and they estimate total cost for the year to be $78K. I am looking into Grad Plus loans now. Mmm, good luck.

That's interesting, on my financial aid award letter it says that the estimated cost of attendance is around $63K. I wonder why you have a different figure.

My aid consists of a gigantic loan package, amounting to $37K. Going to have to look into those Grad plus loans as well.

what's the revised tuition for the 2011-2012 academic year and what's the most probable estimate for accommodation and living expenses? Secondly, how does one go about the visa application process?

Here is the breakdown of costs as written on my financial aid letter:

Tuition: $42,816
Matriculation fee: $500
Health insurance: $2,500
Books/supplies: $1,600
Board: $3,420
Room: $8,460
Personal expenses: $2,034
Transportation: $1,854

Total cost: $63,244

I should add that these are the costs estimated for the MSPH degree. Perhaps that's why there's a difference in the tuition that I and GladifImakeit saw.

Last edited:
Here is the breakdown of costs as written on my financial aid letter:

Tuition: $42,816
Matriculation fee: $500
Health insurance: $2,500
Books/supplies: $1,600
Board: $3,420
Room: $8,460
Personal expenses: $2,034
Transportation: $1,854

Total cost: $63,244

I should add that these are the costs estimated for the MSPH degree. Perhaps that's why there's a difference in the tuition that I and GladifImakeit saw.

I am sure that is the case. I am doing the 11-month MPH program. Yep, I'm still going to Hopkins even though I will be super in-debt. Hope it's worth it!

Is it worth taking out 70K in loans for an MPH degree from JHU? I've heard only amazing things about the program from alumni. I wanted to get in so badly, and now I'm in. But the idea of being that much in debt in a year...in this economy...with no guarantee of a job after I graduate... STRESSSSS

Members don't see this ad :)
The scholarships are out.. So whose getting the prestigious Sommers scholarship? Now I don't know if I'll still be attending JHU. congratulations to those of you that were awarded!

The scholarships are out.. So whose getting the prestigious Sommers scholarship? Now I don't know if I'll still be attending JHU. congratulations to those of you that were awarded!

How did you find out that the scholarships are out? When I called they said they will release the information on April 1st.

Hey, GladifImakeit, any luck with Grad Plus loans? I'm gearing up to call the financial aid office and am wondering how helpful you've found them to be...

Hey I got into the JHSPH for the MHA program. Applied for FAFSA, anyone know how long it takes? Already sent in the supplemental package for aid.
Also does anyone know a little about the program itsself?

Does anyone know how likely it is to get the Masters Tuition Scholarship (75% reduction on tuition) during your second year? Do most students get this scholarship?

Does anyone know how likely it is to get the Masters Tuition Scholarship (75% reduction on tuition) during your second year? Do most students get this scholarship?

My understanding is that it's given to everyone in "good academic standing," which I'm sure is a B average or so. Every second-year MHS student I've spoken to is getting it.

Hey, GladifImakeit, any luck with Grad Plus loans? I'm gearing up to call the financial aid office and am wondering how helpful you've found them to be...

They said they won't start the gradplus process until April. I'm hoping some scholarship news is sent out April 1st and I'm lucky enough to get some aid money!

just a quick question, the 52k thats mentioned in the tuition and fees, do we have to pay it at one go? or can we break it up in different schedules?

Also I was admitted to the MPH course... I heard it is one year long but normally how long do people take to complete it?

thanks

You are guaranteed this as long as you complete the requirements for your department (which is generally that you must take at least 16 credits per term and make at least a B in your required courses..both of which you should be doing anyway!)

For those who received your decision letter: did the decision letter specify the track in which you were admitted? If so, did you get in the track you originally applied to? I applied to the division of clinical epidemiology.

For those who received your decision letter: did the decision letter specify the track in which you were admitted? If so, did you get in the track you originally applied to? I applied to the division of clinical epidemiology.

the snailmail that I have got did not specify the track. But I believe I got into the track I applied for....I did not get any email

Did any of you on this forum receive the Sommer scholarship award or the Global Health one?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone on here has been on the waitlist and later got an acceptance? I know there's a low chance of it happening for me, but I wanted to see if waitlists are even touched by Johns Hopkins, since a lot of people seem to go there as a first choice, leaving very few seats left open after April 15th.

Thanks!

the snailmail that I have got did not specify the track. But I believe I got into the track I applied for....I did not get any email

vienna4u, thank you for telling me this! If you don't mind me asking, did you get any funding from hopkins?

I was wondering if its possible to change your concentration. I applied to Health Policy and Management and now I wanna get into Epidemiology...I have been accepted into Hopkins, but now I wanna change my concentration. Does anyone know if its possible?

vienna4u, thank you for telling me this! If you don't mind me asking, did you get any funding from hopkins?

No, but I believe it is cheaper than the other school I was admitted to. Also they said on the admitted students day that the course is pretty hectic so we should not be expecting that we wolud be able to manage RA positions also. :(

I was wondering if its possible to change your concentration. I applied to Health Policy and Management and now I wanna get into Epidemiology...I have been accepted into Hopkins, but now I wanna change my concentration. Does anyone know if its possible?
From what they said on the web admitted students day, there is a customised course for each concentration, I am not sure if it is changeable or not. It should be there in the archives of the first email we got about the admitted students day.

Last edited:
I didnt..Did you?

Hi no :( I didn't get it... I'm wondering if it's worth it paying almost $80,000 for an MPH!!
Really guys I wish we could ask JHSPH graduates of >2 years who took out a loan if it was worth it. Does JHSPH open up doors of employment ?or is it all a business of making money from Ivy league inclined and ranking obsessed individuals like me? :(

To the other question I'm pretty sure one can change ones concentration. I know it's possible for the MPH program just as one can customise ones study.

I had a question......I have been allotted a railroad type apartment in Reed Hall (675$) when I had originally applied for a 4 or 8 suite(610-620$) apartment..... I know there isnt too much of a difference....but I would like to keep the costs to a minimum if possible.... is it possible to change one's room once allotted?

since I got the decision so late I do think Hopkins is not VERY keen on me, I wouldnt want to go about upsetting the applecart ...

Hi no :( I didn't get it... I'm wondering if it's worth it paying almost $80,000 for an MPH!!
Really guys I wish we could ask JHSPH graduates of >2 years who took out a loan if it was worth it. Does JHSPH open up doors of employment ?or is it all a business of making money from Ivy league inclined and ranking obsessed individuals like me? :(

To the other question I'm pretty sure one can change ones concentration. I know it's possible for the MPH program just as one can customise ones study.

do come to jhsph...:D

Last edited:
Last week I finally got off the waiting list and going into the International Health program (SBI)! SO HAPPY! It was the program I most wanted and I'm glad I finally got it <3

However, this puts me a little behind on the apartment/house search in Baltimore and I'm rushing about, trying to look at everything at once!

If any female on here is still looking for a roommate, please let me know! I would love to room with someone else who is doing Public Health and I'm generally neat, punctual, dependable, and don't snore. What else can you want!

Congrats to everyone on here ^_^

Do any of you know if MPH students are allowed to take courses at the main JHU campus (for example, in the school of arts of sciences) to count for elective credits?

I applied to the MHS program in Epi and haven't heard back yet. Its been ages. I think going on 9 weeks since I submitted and 6 weeks since sent to the committee for review.
hey i'm applying for mhs in epi too! jst couldn figure out the tuition for the entire program if u can beat that! Is it 42k or 84! it's 4 terms rite??? Do reply.. my life depends on it!

hey i'm applying for mhs in epi too! jst couldn figure out the tuition for the entire program if u can beat that! Is it 42k or 84! it's 4 terms rite??? Do reply.. my life depends on it!

Do any of you know if MPH students are allowed to take courses at the main JHU campus (for example, in the school of arts of sciences) to count for elective credits?

I was in the MPH program at JHSPH last year, and I don't know anyone who did this. The main problem is that the SPH is on a quarter system (8-week terms), and this is out of sequence with the rest of the university. There were, however, undergrads who took courses at the SPH. If you are accepted to the program, you could certainly email/call the MPH office to ask them about this.

Hello
Thanks for your insightful post. Can you please help me on following points:-
1. How safe/unsafe is Baltimore, especially for foreign students coming to Johns Hopkins?
2. What are my chances to get admission in MHA of JH with following scores and experience:- GRE=1290 (V=500, Q=790), TOEFL=104, Work Exp=7 years, Background= Medicine with Management (MBBS with MHA), Foreign student
3. As the 2nd year internship is paid internship, what is the average remuneration for 11 months?
4. Please share your interview experience for MHA admission.
Thanks
MD
Do you mind sharing your stats? and what department you were admitted to at
Sorry for the late reply. I'm an international student. With an MBBS degree
GRE V 640, Q680, AW3.5
Toefl 102
GPA 3.31 undergrad
Submitted JHU: 30th/ 1st of Dec
Submitted SOPHAS:11/11/2010
Mailed: 17/11/2010 ( without my transcripts)
Transcripts submitted: 9/12/2010
Applied to : JHU, Harvard, Emory, Univ of Texas and Univ of Minnesota.
Accepted: JHU, uni of Texas and Minnesota
Awaiting: Harvard and Emory.

Lol I can't believe I'm finally posting my stats after stalking this forum for zoo long and feeling that my GRE score esp the quantitative part was poor!
Over 2 years work experience as a physician in s Tertiary hospital, currently work for the navy, I have conducted numerous community development projects in the rural village where I was posted. Have interned with the World Health Organisation and PEPFAR..
Also involved in other voluntary organisations while in medical school

Hey Friends, Am a Doctor From India trying to apply for MPH. Read this thread and would like to know if they waive the GRE for international Doctors.

Is it Possible to apply with just TOEFL scores?

Please enlighten me on these issues and let me know guys.

Would be of great help to me

Thanks.

Good to see their are others still applying and much more to same program and department...:)

Ha ha, funny enough. I am in the same situation. I sent my transcripts from college way back in November, and then one summer class transcript about a week ago. So I am guessing that they still need to locate it. I read in the application submission confirmation email that if you sent your documents way ahead of time to still give it 2 weeks time. Since your application had not yet been submitted. Let me copy and paste what it said. But I was definitely freaking out too. But then I thought let me wait 2 weeks and then call them since that's what they recommend.
This is from the email they sent after applying.
Status of Application and Supporting Documents
You can check on the status of your application and supporting documents via your online application account by logging back in here. Supporting documents (transcripts, test scores, letter of recommendation, etc.) may take as long as two weeks after arrival in the admissions office to be entered and appear in your online application record. If you have applied for admission to JHSPH before or if you sent your documents ahead of time, it still may take up to two weeks for those documents to be entered into your record (note: the admissions office only retains application documents for two academic years; you may be asked to re-submit official documents). If you have any concerns after two weeks from the confirmation of delivery of documents to our office, you may email the admissions office at [email protected].

Hey, I have a question for you. will be of great help if you can let me know about it...
Am a Doctor from India trying to get into MPH. Does Johns Hopkins waive GRE?
Thanks.

Yes it does. You have a Doctoral level degree and you are given that option. Just start filling out the application and you will see. I have a Doctoral level degree and could have chosen the option, but decided against it (as it puts you at a lower risk of not receiving a scholarship).