Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think before you go offending people you should maybe take a look at the LOCATION of other schools before throwing statements like that around. Living in Baltimore can, like most other major cities, be dangerous. So can Atlanta. And NY, and LA. The list goes on. The DIFFERENCE is JHSPH is NOT in the most desirable area. If you have ever visited Emory you would know its located in the suburbs. While there is a chance of crime everywhere (cities, small towns, and farms included) some areas definitely have a higher rates of violence and crimes.
I think it's ignorant to ignore factors like crime when deciding on a place to live. Everyone has a different opinion on what is acceptable to them. Berating people for asking these questions doesn't really help the situation or make the city look any better.

On a sidenote: Most of the major cities on the "lists" that go out are highly affected by gang violence/crimes etc. While there are times that this does affect other populations generally unless you end up in an area you don't want to be or don't take simple safety precautions you *should* be fine. I lived in one city that was atop many lists for a few years and in the great state of NJ that houses Camden, former most dangerous city.

A couple of things. 1. JHSPH is not in the most desirable area, I teach children 3 blocks down. However most people who go to JHSPH are not living anywhere near the school itself, they're living in around Charles Village and Mt. Vernon. The purpose of me pointing out the "ranking" was show that the rankings can be faulty, considering that someone previously brought up a "statistic" that Baltimore is the 2nd in crime.

2. If people were thinking critically about what they are saying in terms of crime, they would realize your sidenote, that most of the crime in these cities are amongst people who are committing crime, rarely is it random acts of violence.

However living here and interacting with people who attend JHSPH SoM etc is that this "fear" is a poor attempt to mask living/working/going to school amongst impoverished peoples more so than a fear of actually being attacked/assaulted etc. Or maybe it is a real feel but it's fueled by prejudice, whether people like to admit it or not. You can take that how you feel but I figured I'd put it out there for people to start thinking critically about what they are implying about having serious safety concerns about living in Baltimore.

And I also have no desire to make this city look better. I'm not originally from here, and honestly I don't have any loyalty or affiliation with this city at all. But its annoying and YES offensive to be around and read things on this forum about their "concerns" with the safety of a city that they've probably never been too and most of their knowledge about this city comes from biased media, "ranking" and an HBO show.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm psyched to be in such an exciting environment for the next two years, and I'm really looking forward to meeting you who go/are going to JHSPH! I also want to get involved with the school and university sort of extracurricularly. I'm interested in student government, going to performances, playing music, athletics... and so on.

But I can't find any information about the relationship between SPH students and the rest of the uni. Does anyone know? Especially someone who's studied there?

Also, on a similar topic, I'd really love to know how many students are in each department, program, etc. For example, if I'm incoming MSPH in PFRH, will I be one of 100? 200? 500? :eek:

Finally, does anyone know the "profile" of JHSPH? Such as how many students, from which countries/states, from what unis, average age, average GPA, hobbies, languages spoken, &c.

Many schools make these fun lists readily available, but I've not been able to find one for us...

Hi I am a not currently a student and I am actually hoping for admission to the PFRH department. But I wanted to say to answer one of your questions. I attended the open house back in October and the PFRH department had a wine and cheese event after the information sessions. It is one of the smallest departments in the school of Public Health with about 25 students (someone is a current student can correct me if I am wrong). But yeah the students kept emphasizing how they are a small department and in a way become like a family. I kind of like this as everyone seemed to know eachother. I am sure however, that you would get to meet other students since courses are open to people in other departments. I also understand that the International Health department is very large, and of course the general MPH has many students.
I'm psyched to be in such an exciting environment for the next two years, and I'm really looking forward to meeting you who go/are going to JHSPH! I also want to get involved with the school and university sort of extracurricularly. I'm interested in student government, going to performances, playing music, athletics... and so on.

But I can't find any information about the relationship between SPH students and the rest of the uni. Does anyone know? Especially someone who's studied there?

Also, on a similar topic, I'd really love to know how many students are in each department, program, etc. For example, if I'm incoming MSPH in PFRH, will I be one of 100? 200? 500? :eek:

Finally, does anyone know the "profile" of JHSPH? Such as how many students, from which countries/states, from what unis, average age, average GPA, hobbies, languages spoken, &c.

Many schools make these fun lists readily available, but I've not been able to find one for us...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am a not currently a student and I am actually hoping for admission to the PFRH department. But I wanted to say to answer one of your questions. I attended the open house back in October and the PFRH department had a wine and cheese event after the information sessions. It is one of the smallest departments in the school of Public Health with about 25 students (someone is a current student can correct me if I am wrong). But yeah the students kept emphasizing how they are a small department and in a way become like a family. I kind of like this as everyone seemed to know eachother. I am sure however, that you would get to meet other students since courses are open to people in other departments. I also understand that the International Health department is very large, and of course the general MPH has many students.

That's great to hear! I know the school has ~2,500 students altogether, so 500 in PFRH would be unexpected :p

Thank you, and best wishes :luck:

Hi,

I'm a current JHSPH MPH student, and I don't know of any compiled lists, but the cultural and academic diversity of the student body is extraordinary. I think this is even more so in the MPH program, since everyone has had health related experience before coming to Hopkins. In terms of extracurriculars, the reality is that this is an extremely intense program, and there is not much time for anything else. MSPH/MHS and MPH students share the same courses, so the demands are very much the same. The terms are 8 weeks long, midterms and finals arrive quickly, and there is little resting time. Weekends are largely for studying and writing papers. That said, it's an extraordinary place, and I think you'll love it. The excitement level among the students is extremely high.

Ha ha, 500 would be quite large. You're welcome and thanks too. :)

That's great to hear! I know the school has ~2,500 students altogether, so 500 in PFRH would be unexpected :p

Thank you, and best wishes :luck:

I emailed to am alum that I knew from my school who is in PopFam and this is what she said:

I cant remember much about my app process, but I think that I applied to Hopkins in late January-Feb. And I'm pretty sure I heard back in April from the department. Don't stress out. I think really as long as your essay is well written and you show dedication to the field or a passion to learn about it, you will be set. As far as slots go, I have no idea. I think that my current MSPH class is about 25, if that gives any indication.

Also: http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/degreeprograms/mph/prospective_students/C_Demographics.html

Encouraging to read that some people applied later in the game and still got in. I applied around the time this alum did and I am hoping I will hear back soon.

I emailed to am alum that I knew from my school who is in PopFam and this is what she said:

I cant remember much about my app process, but I think that I applied to Hopkins in late January-Feb. And I'm pretty sure I heard back in April from the department. Don't stress out. I think really as long as your essay is well written and you show dedication to the field or a passion to learn about it, you will be set. As far as slots go, I have no idea. I think that my current MSPH class is about 25, if that gives any indication.

Also: http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/degreeprograms/mph/prospective_students/C_Demographics.html

I just found out that I got into the MHA program! Hopkins was by far my number 1 choice, so I'm good to go. Now I just have to wait for that letter in the mail to make it official....haha. Has anyone else been accepted into the MHA program? I think we also take classes with general MPH students as well, so I'll see you guys in the fall too. Btw, I just visited the campus and its awesome. Anyone worried about security should relax, the area isn't that bad.

Hi,

I'm a current JHSPH MPH student, and I don't know of any compiled lists, but the cultural and academic diversity of the student body is extraordinary. I think this is even more so in the MPH program, since everyone has had health related experience before coming to Hopkins. In terms of extracurriculars, the reality is that this is an extremely intense program, and there is not much time for anything else. MSPH/MHS and MPH students share the same courses, so the demands are very much the same. The terms are 8 weeks long, midterms and finals arrive quickly, and there is little resting time. Weekends are largely for studying and writing papers. That said, it's an extraordinary place, and I think you'll love it. The excitement level among the students is extremely high.

Hi espre!

I've been scouring through endlessly on the forums trying to narrow down which mph program to go to this fall. There is undoubtedly a consensus that the Johns Hopkins mph is an INTENSE program -- my question is, exactly HOW intense??? Will the 11 month program even allow me for time to retake my mcats and do some clinical research on the side? My ultimate goal is to become a doctor BUT I have a strong interest in international health systems development and would love to marry the two further down my career. Don't get me wrong, if I get into med school this cycle, I am planning on deferring and the decision to go to Johns Hopkins will be an easy yes :).

Johns Hopkins has the specific field i'm interested in, and with the 1-year mph, I can do an internship/fellowship/work during the year in between. Only problem is -- if the program really is so intense, I won't have time to really focus on my classes or the mcat, which is a bit counter-productive and I really wouldn't be making the best use of my time there.

My other option, which I am equally considering, is University of Michigan's Health Policy and Management program. A solid 2-year mph program with great job prospects should I not get into med school. With a 2 year curriculum, it should give me more time to study and prepare for reapplication to med school. Basically the more practical route -- except the concentration is more management focused as opposed to health systems development. And well...it's not Johns Hopkins where everyone automatically thinks of healthcare.

Obviously you can't evaluate the capacityof my study habits, but based on your experiences there (and those from your cohort), is it overkill? Should I just take it slow, get the full experience of the mph and take the safe practical route if my end goal is really to become a doctor?

Does anyone else have any insight in terms of applying to med school/doing extracurriculars while doing the johns hopkins mph?

Hi,

Hi espre!

I've been scouring through endlessly on the forums trying to narrow down which mph program to go to this fall. There is undoubtedly a consensus that the Johns Hopkins mph is an INTENSE program -- my question is, exactly HOW intense??? Will the 11 month program even allow me for time to retake my mcats and do some clinical research on the side? My ultimate goal is to become a doctor BUT I have a strong interest in international health systems development and would love to marry the two further down my career. Don't get me wrong, if I get into med school this cycle, I am planning on deferring and the decision to go to Johns Hopkins will be an easy yes :).

Johns Hopkins has the specific field i'm interested in, and with the 1-year mph, I can do an internship/fellowship/work during the year in between. Only problem is -- if the program really is so intense, I won't have time to really focus on my classes or the mcat, which is a bit counter-productive and I really wouldn't be making the best use of my time there.

My other option, which I am equally considering, is University of Michigan's Health Policy and Management program. A solid 2-year mph program with great job prospects should I not get into med school. With a 2 year curriculum, it should give me more time to study and prepare for reapplication to med school. Basically the more practical route -- except the concentration is more management focused as opposed to health systems development. And well...it's not Johns Hopkins where everyone automatically thinks of healthcare.

Obviously you can't evaluate the capacityof my study habits, but based on your experiences there (and those from your cohort), is it overkill? Should I just take it slow, get the full experience of the mph and take the safe practical route if my end goal is really to become a doctor?

Does anyone else have any insight in terms of applying to med school/doing extracurriculars while doing the johns hopkins mph?

Hi totorogi,

I've had the same concerns (though bc I'm considering re-applying to PhD programs, not med school) and have talked to some current JHSPH students. The consensus seems to be that the program is intense, but not overkill, for someone focusing mainly on the program. However, undergoing the entire med school application process may be overreaching, simply because there aren't many breaks.

That said, if you did the 11-mo Hopkins MPH program, and then applied in fall of 2012 (once the degree is complete and you are focusing solely on applying), wouldn't that be the same timeline as doing the 2-yr MPH at Michigan? Just asking, since you seem excited about the Hopkins program, and since that's kind of what I'm thinking in terms of grad school applications...

Members don't see this ad :)
That said, if you did the 11-mo Hopkins MPH program, and then applied in fall of 2012 (once the degree is complete and you are focusing solely on applying), wouldn't that be the same timeline as doing the 2-yr MPH at Michigan? Just asking, since you seem excited about the Hopkins program, and since that's kind of what I'm thinking in terms of grad school applications...

Yup! you got that right. Either way I'll be spending 2 years off. I'd start my application in June 2012 to start in Fall 2013. What I'll need to focus on during the year is to be able to demonstrate that I did something substantial with my degree in public health -- as opposed to just getting the 3 letters after my name. Of course, what I do with the mph comes from the year of research/work after I graduate -- but that won't be reflected in my apps...gahhh

I was also super excited about UMich when I went to their visit day. Really impressive program with a high caliber of excellence. They said they had a 100% job placement in their HMP program last year. Can't beat job security! Lately I've been leaning more towards Johns Hopkins cause I've already done the healthcare consulting thing for 3 years, and while it'll be nice to continue moving up, there's a reason why I decided to go for an mph instead of an mba, and towards medicine. Stay with something safe? Or heck with it, go with something that's a little more interesting (int'l health systems) but not know exactly what i'll end up doing with it -- and work my ass off, possibly compromising my chances for med school.

For all of you who are going into JHU public health this year and who are not living in Reed hall, are any of you planning to reside right by the school building? Does anyone have any contact information for landlords right along Wolfe Street? I won't be able to physically go there until the school year begins, so some help will be appreciated. thanx!

Has anyone heard anything about funding at all? The financial burden of all this is starting to sink in...

Yup! you got that right. Either way I'll be spending 2 years off. I'd start my application in June 2012 to start in Fall 2013. What I'll need to focus on during the year is to be able to demonstrate that I did something substantial with my degree in public health -- as opposed to just getting the 3 letters after my name. Of course, what I do with the mph comes from the year of research/work after I graduate -- but that won't be reflected in my apps...gahhh

I was also super excited about UMich when I went to their visit day. Really impressive program with a high caliber of excellence. They said they had a 100% job placement in their HMP program last year. Can't beat job security! Lately I've been leaning more towards Johns Hopkins cause I've already done the healthcare consulting thing for 3 years, and while it'll be nice to continue moving up, there's a reason why I decided to go for an mph instead of an mba, and towards medicine. Stay with something safe? Or heck with it, go with something that's a little more interesting (int'l health systems) but not know exactly what i'll end up doing with it -- and work my ass off, possibly compromising my chances for med school.
Hm. The advantage of finishing the MPH in May 2012 is that you would have a full thesis/capstone to show schools (and time to work on your own research), as opposed to applying with an ongoing project, you know? That's my thinking right now.

Can you make it to any of the accepted student events Hopkins is holding? Things might all make a little more sense after talking to students and faculty members...

yeah, will definitely have tons of questions for them at the admitted students day.

Does anyone know if we need to have a car in baltimore? I'll be coming out from california -- not sure if i'll need my car or if it's just easier to leave it in cali.

When I took a tour recently with a current student I was told that having a car isn't necessary (only useful if you are planning on traveling outside the city frequently). Baltimore has great public transportation around the city and to the campus (there is a hopkins shuttle that goes to most of the surrounding areas). If you are looking to research housing, I would recommend skimming craigslist to get an idea of prices and location availability. Hopkins also has a few links on its website to places that list openings. They even have a board that lists ads by students who are looking for roommates in local apartments.

Has anyone heard about funding yet? Or found out how they will notify us? I was going to email them again, but the point person has been so nice and friendly that I don't want to bug her again with another question.

Has anyone heard about funding yet? Or found out how they will notify us? I was going to email them again, but the point person has been so nice and friendly that I don't want to bug her again with another question.

Nope haven't heard back on funding -- though I forgot to fill out that second form other than the FAFSA. worried that it'll make a difference cause i turned it in last week. :/

Yes, I asked for confirmation that they received my application for financial aid (is that what you mean? Or do you mean departmental funding?) and they said yes, and that they'd gotten my FAFSA, and that I'd hear from them in April when the applications are due.

As for departmental... well. I emailed the point person in my department about it a few days ago and haven't heard back.

I still have heard nothing from JHSPH. My application was sent to the department over ten weeks ago. Has anyone heard recently from the MSPH program in International Health? How about the SBI track specifically? Should I assume this is a bad sign?

I still have heard nothing from JHSPH. My application was sent to the department over ten weeks ago. Has anyone heard recently from the MSPH program in International Health? How about the SBI track specifically? Should I assume this is a bad sign?

I'm getting a bit worried too. My application was sent for review 7 weeks ago to the day. I applied MSPH in international health, PCMI track. I called admissions the other day and the woman took my last name, looked up my application, and said (nicely, but still rather vaguely) "it looks like it was forwarded on January 11th, and it takes 8 to 10 weeks, so you'll hear by the end of this month." So I'm not sure if that means they haven't looked at it yet or perhaps it's in the rejection pile and she just didn't want to tell me that.

At any rate, you're not the only one still waiting.

Good luck!

I called JHU a week ago and she said the same thing to me ("takes 8-10 weeks"). Turns out I was accepted a few days later. I also thought that I was rejected because of her response--don't read too much into it, you may yet be accepted!

I'm getting a bit worried too. My application was sent for review 7 weeks ago to the day. I applied MSPH in international health, PCMI track. I called admissions the other day and the woman took my last name, looked up my application, and said (nicely, but still rather vaguely) "it looks like it was forwarded on January 11th, and it takes 8 to 10 weeks, so you'll hear by the end of this month." So I'm not sure if that means they haven't looked at it yet or perhaps it's in the rejection pile and she just didn't want to tell me that.

At any rate, you're not the only one still waiting.

Good luck!

I haven't heard anything either. My application is on week 9 since it was in review.:(

I called JHU a week ago and she said the same thing to me ("takes 8-10 weeks"). Turns out I was accepted a few days later. I also thought that I was rejected because of her response--don't read too much into it, you may yet be accepted!

Thanks! That's reassuring, though I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Congrats again on your acceptance!

I just posted this on the Waiting Game thread, but I'll put it here too to update you. I just talked to JHSPH on the phone..because my application was forwarded to the department almost eleven weeks ago. The admissions office said "wow, you should have heard by now" so she transferred me to the department of international health. The lady there (super nice, helpful, kind, and understanding!) looked at my application and said that it is still under review. The SBI track is taking forever to decide this year, she said, because they received so many more applications than they are used to. She didn't know what else to tell me, because it's still under review, and doesn't know when the committee will reach a decision. She did say that I would not be getting a scholarship, other than the 75% reduction in tuition the second year if I were to be accepted.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the second year tuition reduction?

I just posted this on the Waiting Game thread, but I'll put it here too to update you. I just talked to JHSPH on the phone..because my application was forwarded to the department almost eleven weeks ago. The admissions office said "wow, you should have heard by now" so she transferred me to the department of international health. The lady there (super nice, helpful, kind, and understanding!) looked at my application and said that it is still under review. The SBI track is taking forever to decide this year, she said, because they received so many more applications than they are used to. She didn't know what else to tell me, because it's still under review, and doesn't know when the committee will reach a decision. She did say that I would not be getting a scholarship, other than the 75% reduction in tuition the second year if I were to be accepted.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the second year tuition reduction?

Its called the Master's Tuition Scholarship. The main page makes it seem as though it's selective but at least in PFRH it seems as though anyone in enrolled and in good standing for the next year will get it. I'm not a math person but I semi calculated it and it seems to make the 2 year MSPH program the same price as the 11 month MPH program. Its just that the first year is exorbitant and the second is not that bad. Without it the 2 year programs would be about 80k

http://www.jhsph.edu/student_affairs/financial/Institutional_Scholarships/institutional_funding.html

Gotcha, thanks for explaining!

Its called the Master's Tuition Scholarship. The main page makes it seem as though it's selective but at least in PFRH it seems as though anyone in enrolled and in good standing for the next year will get it. I'm not a math person but I semi calculated it and it seems to make the 2 year MSPH program the same price as the 11 month MPH program. Its just that the first year is exorbitant and the second is not that bad. Without it the 2 year programs would be about 80k

http://www.jhsph.edu/student_affairs/financial/Institutional_Scholarships/institutional_funding.html

Nope haven't heard back on funding -- though I forgot to fill out that second form other than the FAFSA. worried that it'll make a difference cause i turned it in last week. :/

Hey totorogi,
What is the "second form other than the FAFSA"? I just checked all the emails I received from JHSPH and the admissions website to see if I missed it and I don't see what you're referring to. It's freaking me out a little bit!
Thanks!

Hey totorogi,
What is the "second form other than the FAFSA"? I just checked all the emails I received from JHSPH and the admissions website to see if I missed it and I don't see what you're referring to. It's freaking me out a little bit!
Thanks!

If you were accepted, you should have gotten an email from Financial Aid with login information to access your financial aid information. There is a link there to JHSPH's financial aid website (or you can just go to the website yourself) that has the 2011-2012 Financial Aid form. It is a simple form and you can submit it via email, fax or snail mail.

If you were accepted, you should have gotten an email from Financial Aid with login information to access your financial aid information. There is a link there to JHSPH's financial aid website (or you can just go to the website yourself) that has the 2011-2012 Financial Aid form. It is a simple form and you can submit it via email, fax or snail mail.

Annalise,
Thank you. I hope I'm not too late!

Hey ya'll. I got my housing assignment, so if you're looking to live in Reed Hall, you might want to send in your applications, if you haven't already! Thanks.

Wow, that makes me nervous you have already gotten a housing assignment and I have not even heard whether or not I am in at the school! I'm afraid if I am finally accepted, I'll be behind the curve on everything!

Hey guys,
Do you know when we find out about scholarships (Sommer, Center for Global Health MPH etc)? Thanks

Hey guys,
Do you know when we find out about scholarships (Sommer, Center for Global Health MPH etc)? Thanks

The Sommer Scholars section of the JHU website says mid-march but MPH section says scholarships are awarded by the end of Feb, so I'm guessing most scholarships have been awarded. Anyone hear anything?

Who else is going to Admitted students day on April 8th?

I just RSVP'd and if anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room please PM me.

The Sommer Scholars section of the JHU website says mid-march but MPH section says scholarships are awarded by the end of Feb, so I'm guessing most scholarships have been awarded. Anyone hear anything?

Actually I called to ask. They have not made the final decisions regarding scholarships but a few people have been selected. If you want to find out if you have been nominated, you should maybe give them a call. That's how I found out I wasn't :-(

So Im hoping I just did my math wrong but is the MSPH tuition really going to be ~$81,000??? Did anyone else calculate it yet?

i got my tuition to be : $41,376 (1st year) + $10,344 (2nd year) = $51,720 total.

Where did $81,000 come from?

So Im hoping I just did my math wrong but is the MSPH tuition really going to be ~$81,000??? Did anyone else calculate it yet?

Per my acceptance letter

"Tuition for the 2011-12 academic year is projected to be $42,816. During your second year, while on the field placement, you will be eligible to receive a Masters Tuition Scholarship, which will provide 75% tuition support during this portion of the program. This scholarship is in addition to any salary you will be earning as part of your field placement."

FINALLY a response! Just checked the website for the 2293847 time today and it finally came through after 9 pm. I'm in! Department of International Health, SBI. Who else is with me? Congrats to everyone!

Hi, have any of the international students who plan to enroll in MPH program received any mails to generate I 20 form(to apply for F1 visa) from the international office ?

Congrats Globalhealth!

Has anyone been notified about scholarships?

FINALLY a response! Just checked the website for the 2293847 time today and it finally came through after 9 pm. I'm in! Department of International Health, SBI. Who else is with me? Congrats to everyone!

Cograts GlobalHealth. I will surely be your classmate in the International Health class if I get a scholarship from JHSPH. Otherwise ......... I keep my fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Once again congrats:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Does Hopkins have a visit day for admitted students? Is there one for all departments? Or are they department specific? Anything for the Epi department?

Thanks!!

(still haven't heard from them and am trying to book my trip to the east coast to visit harvard, hoping to swing by hopkins on the same trip...)

I did my undergrad at JHU and while the school of public health has a lot of links with other parts of the university, I did not find that it was particuarily integrated into the entire system. Granted I really felt like every school was very autonomous. JHSPH is on the JHU medical campus so it is very well integrated into the medical institute (JHMI) aspect of the university. The school of medicine and school of nursing are right there so I would assume the links between them are really strong. The undergrad campus is 20 mins away and can be reached via the JHMI shuttle which runs very frequently during the week between the two campuses and stops along the way at the Amtrak's Penn station, and Mt Vernon/Peabody institute. A lot of undergrads do research at JHSPH and other parts of JHMI and senior public health majors at hopkins take classes at JHSPH so the two campuses are also connected that way. While it's a hassel to cross register for classes between the schools it's pretty easy to do so if you want to take an undergrad/grad humanities class, or an I.R. course at SAIS in DC that is also a possibility.

As far as Baltimore goes I lived there for four years and loved it. Ive actually been living in Boston for the past year and, while I will miss the public transportation here, I can't wait to go back to Baltimore. The city has a lot of personality, friendly people, wonderful affordable food, and a lot of cultural opportunities. Honestly it's like any other city, don't take unnecessary risks or go out alone in sketchy areas by yourself at 2am and you'll be fine.