Job prospects: Not attending deliveries as Ped Hospitalist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaizenakira

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does not attending deliveries as a Peds Hospitalist hurt my job hunt for a peds hospitalist job? I am finishing residency at a stand alone children's hospital where I really didn't get experience attending deliveries and really don't feel comfortable with attending deliveries.

Members don't see this ad.

In my view, you can find a job that can include a lot of attendance or one that includes none. My first job at a smaller community hospital was a lot of deliveries since we didn't have NICU docs or NNP's. My current job at a bigger children's hospital with a fully staffed level 3 NICU has the neo's and NNP's going to all deliveries. In residency it was a mix of who attended the deliveries between the gen Peds team and the NICU team.
Bottom line, you might have limited yourself somewhat but you shouldn't have trouble finding a job simply because you want one without delivery attendance.
Also - check out the aap Hospitalist email list serve. It's a great thing for residents planning a Hospitalist career to get on and be able to read the emails that go around.