Ped boards 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting nervous as the exam is next week? Any advice for last minute studying. This is my third (and hopefully final) attempt!

Members don't see this ad.

I am extremely nervous. This is my first attempt. I have the two weeks before the exam off and i’m using it to complete medstudy and PBR. I think what makes me most nervous is there is no real gauge to help us determine if we are ready for this test. With all of the step exams there were practice tests, but there is nothing reliable for this exam. My medstudy average is 73% so i’m praying that’s enough….

I am extremely nervous. This is my first attempt. I have the two weeks before the exam off and i’m using it to complete medstudy and PBR. I think what makes me most nervous is there is no real gauge to help us determine if we are ready for this test. With all of the step exams there were practice tests, but there is nothing reliable for this exam. My medstudy average is 73% so i’m praying that’s enough….

The ABP does offer a practice test. It's not full length, but it will give you an idea of the questions and difficulty. You can find it in the self-assessment portion of your ABP portfolio:

How to Access ABP-Developed and ABP-Approved Self-Assessments​

1. Log in to your ABP Portfolio.
  2. Click on the “Search Activities” button in the MOC section.
  3. Click on the "Self-Assessment (Part 2) Search" button.
  4. Use "Filter Options" to narrow your search results. Set the “Sponsor” filter to “American Board of Pediatrics” to display ABP activities.
  5. Use the “Interest Area” filter to search for subspecialty-specific activities.

General Pediatric Comprehensive Knowledge Self-Assessment​

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The ABP does offer a practice test. It's not full length, but it will give you an idea of the questions and difficulty. You can find it in the self-assessment portion of your ABP portfolio:

How to Access ABP-Developed and ABP-Approved Self-Assessments​

1. Log in to your ABP Portfolio.
  2. Click on the “Search Activities” button in the MOC section.
  3. Click on the "Self-Assessment (Part 2) Search" button.
  4. Use "Filter Options" to narrow your search results. Set the “Sponsor” filter to “American Board of Pediatrics” to display ABP activities.
  5. Use the “Interest Area” filter to search for subspecialty-specific activities.

General Pediatric Comprehensive Knowledge Self-Assessment​

Any idea how reflective this is for the actual test? in terms of passing?

Any idea how reflective this is for the actual test? in terms of passing?
The content and the types of questions are very similar. I do not have a gauge for prediction of a passing score--I think I got around 70% correct and passed boards with a score >200. The questions on boards are much easier than PREP and are similar in style to MedStudy, but the questions tend not to be as particular as those with MedStudy (there will be very few questions where you have to know minutiae and you either know it or you don't).

The content and the types of questions are very similar. I do not have a gauge for prediction of a passing score--I think I got around 70% correct and passed boards with a score >200. The questions on boards are much easier than PREP and are similar in style to MedStudy, but the questions tend not to be as particular as those with MedStudy (there will be very few questions where you have to know minutiae and you either know it or you don't).
Are you saying that med study is more nit picky? That's actually great info to know from your experience. Thank you.

In your experience in terms of difficulty

Med study > PREP > Boards > self assessment?

Are you saying that med study is more nit picky? That's actually great info to know from your experience. Thank you.

In your experience in terms of difficulty

Med study > PREP > Boards > self assessment?
Yeah, the questions I struggled with the most on MedStudy were the super esoteric ones and there were like 2 like that on boards. The boards themselves are harder than the self-assessment just because they're longer--the content is equivalent from what I remember (grain of salt--it's been 5 years since I took gen peds boards, but I took peds endo boards last year). PREP content is good, but the question stems are sooooo much longer, so the boards actually go much quicker. I think overall I was between 65-70% on PREP. I didn't complete the MedStudy question bank because I despised the questions, but I did review their videos and took notes on them as my primary means of study.

I’m finding myself doing better on medstudy than PREP. I hope that’s a decent indicator . I no longer have access to the self assessment, but I recall it being straight forward and not too difficult.

Also doing better on medstudy. I’m sitting at a 75%. Hope thats enough. Will only have time to complete 75% of the question bank

How did everyone that know it went? Thought it was quite difficult. Just need that pass! Only did Med study percent first pass ~65%. Hopefully it was enough prep but not sure. Gonna be nerve wracking until the result. Glad it’s over for now.

I thought it was hard too, I calculated between 15-20 that I was not sure per block. But who knows maybe I got those and more wrong. I am a bit stressed. I did all the Med study and flash cards x2, took notes and tried to review. Of course, looking back I could have done more, as always there is more to do and to learn. I hope to pass, I wonder how the others feel.

I thought it was hard too, I calculated between 15-20 that I was not sure per block. But who knows maybe I got those and more wrong. I am a bit stressed. I did all the Med study and flash cards x2, took notes and tried to review. Of course, looking back I could have done more, as always there is more to do and to learn. I hope to pass, I wonder how the others feel.
Same here. I had around 20 questions I was unsure of the answers per block.

same here , I recall marking 15-20 per block.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, marked about 20 per block and afterwards, looking things up, realized I made a lot of dumb mistakes. I think I’ll be retaking next year

How do we get to know the results of the board - is it by email or we have to check in the ABP login?

two years ago the email was delayed by few days, so we had to login to ABP website. I think the results are usually out on the website the first Wednesday of December at 6am EST.

Last year they had a giant banner on the website announcing that results were not out yet and that candidates would receive an email. And then results were released like the next day. I was amused (and not waiting on results :))

two years ago the email was delayed by few days, so we had to login to ABP website. I think the results are usually out on the website the first Wednesday of December at 6am EST.
Good stuff.

If you look at Ashish Goyal's videos for his PBR course, he posted a video every year since 2016 of his kids saying how cool of a dad he is for helping people pass the boards lol...

Point is, assuming it was filmed on the day of the results coming out, they line up well with the results coming out sometime during the 1st week of December. So hopefully next week!

(clearly I have too much time on my hands...)

Last year it was Thursday, December 2 around 6AM, so I think it’s possible results will come out this week

Last year it was Thursday, December 2 around 6AM, so I think it’s possible results will come out this week
I just called the ABP and was told that results will not be out this week. She said they will likely be out the second week of December.

For the past 2 years, they’ve released the scores on the first Thursday of December.

Strange…

If anyone else is willing to call to see if they get a different answer than I got, that’d be awesome!

This wait is killing me!!!!!

Last edited:
I just called the ABP and was told that results will not be out this week. She said they will likely be out the second week of December.

For the past 2 years, they’ve released the scores on the first Thursday of December.

Strange…

If anyone else is willing to call to see if they get a different answer than I got, that’d be awesome!

This wait is killing me!!!!!
So tentatively next week...? >_<

I just called and was just told it will be "sometime before Christmas". Though the woman I spoke to said last year it was released on December 10th, so expect sometime close to that date. Though results were actually released on December 2nd so not sure what to expect...

I just called and was just told it will be "sometime before Christmas". Though the woman I spoke to said last year it was released on December 10th, so expect sometime close to that date. Though results were actually released on December 2nd so not sure what to expect...
That is hilarious. My letter from last year was even dated December 2. I wonder why she thought it was December 10. Nonetheless, I agree - leaves us still unsure of what timeline to expect

That is hilarious. My letter from last year was even dated December 2. I wonder why she thought it was December 10. Nonetheless, I agree - leaves us still unsure of what timeline to expect
Pretty dumb seeing as even steps give you a date range. You just know that it’s always the last day of that range lol

Last edited:
Torture!!!

Nothing to to but wait and stay as distracted as possible…

This is ridiculous I am really hoping to get the results tomorrow in the morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Torture!!!

Nothing to to but wait and stay as distracted as possible…
I can't, I keep having nightmares that I failed even though my ITE's were 190 and 186 and I passed the ABR self assessment with 83.5% I know I did some dumb mistakes and I might fail.

I can't, I keep having nightmares that I failed even though my ITE's were 190 and 186 and I passed the ABR self assessment with 83.5% I know I did some dumb mistakes and I might fail.
It sounds like you were well prepared and likely passed!! Everyone makes dumb mistakes. Those are just the questions that stick out in our memories and give us nightmares 😫

If the worst happens and you do fail, you are not alone and it will be okay. At least says me after failing last year and subsequently learning from friends and colleagues how common it is.

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 for a good outcome this year for us all.

Does anyones ABP portfolio page still show the gen peds test as an open registration? Its making me nervous...

Does anyones ABP portfolio page still show the gen peds test as an open registration? Its making me nervous...
Mine still shows “registered for the general pediatrics exam” and “not yet certified”

Mine still shows “registered for the general pediatrics exam” and “not yet certified”
Mine saying "final date to certify..." and registration accepted without showing a date of my test...not sure what this is supposed to mean. Because my friend doesn't have this on their account, only their subspecialty ITE exam registration info...getting really scared

Mine saying "final date to certify..." and registration accepted without showing a date of my test...not sure what this is supposed to mean. Because my friend doesn't have this on their account, only their subspecialty ITE exam registration info...getting really scared
Mine shows what urs shows in addition to what I posted above. Above that box I also see my ITE subspecialty registration

Having read way too many prior SDN threads, I don’t think any changes will be made until after midnight. But also who knows

Mine says the same thing. If I try to apply for an exam it says no open registrations at this time. I think everyone should see the same thing

Mine says the same thing. If I try to apply for an exam it says no open registrations at this time. I think everyone should see the same thing
Just giving more information. If I try to apply for a new exam, the only thing it has listed that I can apply for is my subspecialty in training exam (which I’ve already applied for and haven’t taken Yet so i’m not sure why that’s there?)

Same here. "Not yet certified", final date to achieve certification given, and if I try to apply no open registrations.

Where are you guys seeing “not yet certified”???

I don’t see that right now.

Nevermind!! I found it!

Ugh…

This wait is literally the worst.