Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 1/25
AAMC average scores: Ranged from 21-25
Post-Test Expected Score: Was not sure! I've taken this test before and you never know!
Actual Score: 6 (PS) /9 (VS) /7 BS) = 22
Comments: For some , this score means absolutely nothing. But I am so thankful for a 22. It has been a struggle studying, taking the test, working full time and taking the test again. I am so thankful and grateful. I am applying with this score and know things will work out for me. For those who have struggled throughout the years, DO NOT give up. Reach everyday for your goals. Pray and find peace in your abilities. You can do it!!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
^ I hope you are doing DO, and even that is a long, long shot. Please retake!
Still applying SMPs? I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I'm a good candidate for DO and all of the SMPs that I've seen (cGPA 3.3, ACOMAS sGPA 3.47, 35 MCAT), but an adcom I spoke with mentioned that I still have a shot at allo despite an AMCAS sGPA of 3.0. Definitely don't want to spend $25k-50k for no reason

I think your scores are well-balanced. If you think 33 is a true reflection of your ability, don't bother taking it again.

I feel with more content-review (I wasn't completely done reviewing my Berkeley Review books), I could do better on Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences. I don't think I could improve on verbal though as I rarely score an 11 on verbal as it is (there's been a few times though). It would be a risk so I'll talk about it with my undergrad counselor. Thank you for your response!

Still applying SMPs? I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I'm a good candidate for DO and all of the SMPs that I've seen (cGPA 3.3, ACOMAS sGPA 3.47, 35 MCAT), but an adcom I spoke with mentioned that I still have a shot at allo despite an AMCAS sGPA of 3.0. Definitely don't want to spend $25k-50k for no reason
With a 35 you actually have a oaky shot at MD but if you do the SMP and kill it I think your chances go up even further to be in line with mid tier MD schools. Now for me the problem is whether I wanna do DO/MD. I'm highly sure than Do would accept you because of the MCAT, I think the highest MCAT in the past 2 years that someone got at the DO school that's connected to my undergrad was like a 33 so I wouldn't worry about not getting a DO acceptance. Btw, is the your AMCAS GPA or ACOMAS GPA because they are calculated differently. I'm not biased at all since I go to a school that has a DO program but I did a lot of research and I do want to continue doing so during med school so that's one of my primary factors of choosing MD over DO. For the DO side, I would like to get into med school as quick as possible and applying DO would probably give me the edge vs. waiting another year for MD since I feel like I'm not really ready to apply to MD schools yet, as their process is more stringent than DO. My GPA also took a downward trend the past year which is really bad even though I had a competitive GPA to begin with. At this point It's either get into med school quickly or wait another year and probably (hopefully) do an SMP, kill it, and go to a med school that suits my interests, goals, etc

With a 35 you actually have a oaky shot at MD but if you do the SMP and kill it I think your chances go up even further to be in line with mid tier MD schools. Now for me the problem is whether I wanna do DO/MD. I'm highly sure than Do would accept you because of the MCAT, I think the highest MCAT in the past 2 years that someone got at the DO school that's connected to my undergrad was like a 33 so I wouldn't worry about not getting a DO acceptance. Btw, is the your AMCAS GPA or ACOMAS GPA because they are calculated differently. I'm not biased at all since I go to a school that has a DO program but I did a lot of research and I do want to continue doing so during med school so that's one of my primary factors of choosing MD over DO. For the DO side, I would like to get into med school as quick as possible and applying DO would probably give me the edge vs. waiting another year for MD since I feel like I'm not really ready to apply to MD schools yet, as their process is more stringent than DO. My GPA also took a downward trend the past year which is really bad even though I had a competitive GPA to begin with. At this point It's either get into med school quickly or wait another year and probably (hopefully) do an SMP, kill it, and go to a med school that suits my interests, goals, etc
I think you both have a much better chance at mid-tier MD schools then you think. You guys will get in somewhere I'm sure!

Test Date: 1/23
AAMC average scores: Ranged from 30-35, but average was 31.6 with AAMC 10 and 11 being 31 and 30, respectively
Post-Test Expected Score: Maybe 30-32 if I was lucky. I was especially worried about verbal because my VR score ranged 7-11 on AAMC practice tests and I had 4 minutes left to do the last passage!
Actual Score: 12/10/14 = 36
Comments: I only scored a 35 once on AAMC 9 so I wasn't expecting a 36 at all. I had to triple check to make sure I read it correctly haha. I definitely struggled while I was studying because my practice test scores were inconsistent. I kept pushing through though. I was seated near the door during my exam and thought the distractions from the door opening/closing would make me perform worse. After I took the exam, I was hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I read inspirational posts from previous test takers who had low AAMC practice test scores and scored above their average to keep me motivated until test day. I'm so glad I don't have to retake.

Congrats on the other fantastic scores in this thread!!! Good luck to those who are applying this upcoming cycle :)

This was my second time, the first time I was seated near the door and it sucked. This time I told myself 'there's no effing way I'm letting them seat me by the door'. Sure enough, I got the exact same seat as last time. Even after I asked to be reseated, they told me it was preset. What are the odds haha

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my second time, the first time I was seated near the door and it sucked. This time I told myself 'there's no effing way I'm letting them seat me by the door'. Sure enough, I got the exact same seat as last time. Even after I asked to be reseated, they told me it was preset. What are the odds haha

Well, since we're MCATing, I can tell you those odds!

Say you had 30 seats at your testing center, all of which were full on both occasions. Let's also say that there's only one seat next to the door (the reject seat). With having a 1/30 chance of being randomly selected to sit there, and having been chosen twice, then your odds were about 0.1%

;)

Well, since we're MCATing, I can tell you those odds!

Say you had 30 seats at your testing center, all of which were full on both occasions. Let's also say that there's only one seat next to the door (the reject seat). With having a 1/30 chance of being randomly selected to sit there, and having been chosen twice, then your odds were about 0.1%

;)
Thanks BB, really needed that haha...Hope you do well on your test =]

When you all received your scores, was it depicted in the same manner as it is for an AAMC practice test?
Could you see your approximated percentile?

When you all received your scores, was it depicted in the same manner as it is for an AAMC practice test?
Could you see your approximated percentile?
There were percentiles for everything except composite as far as I can remember

LECOM sent me an email. Apparently its not too late to apply for Fall '14 matriculation. wut??

LECOM sent me an email. Apparently its not too late to apply for Fall '14 matriculation. wut??
Got the same thing and thought, man if I was graduating this year that would be so tempting to start in the fall instead of having to deal with another year of undergrad.

Would it hurt to just go for it anyway? (For those that have graduated, not people like me)
I'm still trying to figure out if an application sent out for ACOMAS in '14 would list me as a reapplicant for AMCAS in '15

It would be nice to matriculate in months instead of a year, but I'd REALLY prefer to stay as close to NYC/LI as possible

Don't go to lecom brahs, you have to dress up for lecture.
Is it just business casual? Or do you have to wear a tie? I was a missionary for two years so wearing a tie every day would not bother me too much :) but I know for some that is a deal breaker"

lol I already show up to classes (if I ever, I'm a never-go-to-lecture guy) in a cargos and sleeveless shirts.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it was displayed with the different scores and you could click a link to display percentile rank. It doesn't give you access to see what you missed or the missed question categories like the online test though.

I'd like to finish mine by Thursday. Pretty hard to figure out how to write an essay that will be salient amongst thousands without being rife with platitudes

I'm still trying to figure out if an application sent out for ACOMAS in '14 would list me as a reapplicant for AMCAS in '15

It would be nice to matriculate in months instead of a year, but I'd REALLY prefer to stay as close to NYC/LI as possible
if you don't get accepted then it hurts you because you'll be listed as a reapplicant next year. and there are probably VERY few spots available. I was considering it too and had a post in the pre-DO forums, and everyone suggested I not apply.

if you don't get accepted then it hurts you because you'll be listed as a reapplicant next year. and there are probably VERY few spots available. I was considering it too and had a post in the pre-DO forums, and everyone suggested I not apply.
Hm. So if I apply DO this cycle and do not get in I would be a reapplicant for MD in '16? I didn't know that reapplicant spots differ from first timers to be honest. I thought it was just a bit more difficult, and something that you can address during an interview

Ugh. I haven't even thought about my PS yet. I have absolutely no idea what to say.
I wouldn't have started it until May honestly, but I'm meeting a former MD ADCOM tomorrow for a drink and he asked that I bring in my PS

Hope it doesn't make me look like a sociopath lol

I'm really liking these! can't believe I am only using them so late. But they are giving me a good mental sweat which i think is going to happen on the real MCAT. Prepares you for tough passages that are quite VR esque for PS too. i won't be surprised if our exam is something similar.

I have been searching for things to do in these last days and I think i found it. taking these isn't as exhausting as a FL but defo is good practice IMO. recommended if you haven't used them and you have them.

its officially wednesday. less than 3 full days remain until us 1/25ers go in

How is everyone doing? I just got back from a 10 day work trip to China & realized applications open up so soon! I've informally asked about 3/4 of the people I'm planning on asking for LORs, but I need to send them the info of how to send them to Interfolio. Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm just gearing up for a summer full of waiting... Excited to start the process but not looking forward to just waiting to hear back.

I'm just gearing up for a summer full of waiting... Excited to start the process but not looking forward to just waiting to hear back.
Luckily my wife is having a kid on June 30th so that will probably help with the waiting process :)

I believe I speak for the whole thread in welcoming Bbroush Jr. to the world. Also use this as a clinical experience, shadow the ob during the delivery.

Reactions: 2 users