Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Hello my fellow aspiring health professionals,

I am currently a senior and plan to take a gap year, I’d like to apply to an MD/PhD program, and my end goal is to be very involved in research (with humans). I am looking for advice on when to take the MCAT. I have looked through these forums but still don’t seem to be able to make up my mind. Originally I had thought I would take it Jan 2014 and give myself about 5 months to study while going to school full time and having a fairly involved research workload, however looking through these forums I have found a lot of people advocating for a 3 month study period where you MCA- study your butt off is the better bet (no sacrificing GPA or other activities and really getting in the zone). I could theoretically do the 3 month study program after I graduate (Spring 2014) to take towards the end of the summer, but this makes me nervous (read: terrified) because it makes me feel like if I don’t do really well the first time I might not get a spot after for a retake before 2014 is over and the MCAT as we know it ceases to exist. I’m not worried about my GPA and feel like I did pretty well in pre reqs and all my other science classes have reinforced my learning (though I do think I need to brush up on some bio concepts). Do you guys think it is a good idea to try and balance what I already have going on and still try for a Jan 2014 test date, or that I would be much better off waiting until summer?

Thank you!

Looks like we have the same material. I need to purchase TPRH verbal still though. I think I'm going to knock out verbal first before ps and BS review. I'm finishing up chapter 2 and I hope to finish that whole book by the 1st. I think I will practice a few passages each day untimed and then when I get good at their strategy, I will start to do them timed.

Have you tried princetons online supplement to their books? That website is CRAP.

You don't think the online supplements are good? I got the books from a friend so I don't think I have any access to the online stuff anyway. I got a great deal though so whatever. If I do decide to go with a class it will probably be Kaplan's online course (good from what i've heard, can watch lectures on my own time, and they have a lot of additional resources).

How come you don't do a little verbal while studying the sciences? For me, I would feel lost if I completely stopped doing verbal for a couple of months while studying sciences. That's just me though. Nonetheless, i've been doing 2 passages a night untimed to start off. Once I feel a little more comfortable i'll start timing them and ramp it up to 3 passages at a time. Having just started doing verbal, it seems like it will be impossible to get at least 6 of these passages done in 60 minutes time...

How do you guys cycle through studying the sciences? Having not taken physics and Gen chem in around 1.5/2 years, i'm switching between gen chem and physics each night (until i finish the content review books). Also, on science-studying days, do you guys always do practice problems/passages? Or are there some days you guys just read the chapters?

Hello my fellow aspiring health professionals,

I am currently a senior and plan to take a gap year, I'd like to apply to an MD/PhD program, and my end goal is to be very involved in research (with humans). I am looking for advice on when to take the MCAT. I have looked through these forums but still don't seem to be able to make up my mind. Originally I had thought I would take it Jan 2014 and give myself about 5 months to study while going to school full time and having a fairly involved research workload, however looking through these forums I have found a lot of people advocating for a 3 month study period where you MCA- study your butt off is the better bet (no sacrificing GPA or other activities and really getting in the zone). I could theoretically do the 3 month study program after I graduate (Spring 2014) to take towards the end of the summer, but this makes me nervous (read: terrified) because it makes me feel like if I don't do really well the first time I might not get a spot after for a retake before 2014 is over and the MCAT as we know it ceases to exist. I'm not worried about my GPA and feel like I did pretty well in pre reqs and all my other science classes have reinforced my learning (though I do think I need to brush up on some bio concepts). Do you guys think it is a good idea to try and balance what I already have going on and still try for a Jan 2014 test date, or that I would be much better off waiting until summer?

Thank you!

First off, why do you want your MD? Have you thought about just going the PhD? If you want a career heavily focused on research, why not just PhD?

How many credit hours are you planning on taking next semester? How many are you taking this semester? Perhaps take a light load semester (12/13 hours) while studying for the MCAT? Doing so might push your graduate back a semester though, if that's cool with you.

EDIT: ALSO, if you do push it back and decide to study over the summer, you should not even apply until the 2014/2015 cycle. That said, you will actually end up having two gap years instead of the one if you applied this upcoming summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm following the SN2ed method. (4 month) after one week I think it is fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone.
You don't think the online supplements are good? I got the books from a friend so I don't think I have any access to the online stuff anyway. I got a great deal though so whatever. If I do decide to go with a class it will probably be Kaplan's online course (good from what i've heard, can watch lectures on my own time, and they have a lot of additional resources).

How come you don't do a little verbal while studying the sciences? For me, I would feel lost if I completely stopped doing verbal for a couple of months while studying sciences. That's just me though. Nonetheless, i've been doing 2 passages a night untimed to start off. Once I feel a little more comfortable i'll start timing them and ramp it up to 3 passages at a time. Having just started doing verbal, it seems like it will be impossible to get at least 6 of these passages done in 60 minutes time...

How do you guys cycle through studying the sciences? Having not taken physics and Gen chem in around 1.5/2 years, i'm switching between gen chem and physics each night (until i finish the content review books). Also, on science-studying days, do you guys always do practice problems/passages? Or are there some days you guys just read the chapters?

I've graduated with my masters in public health. So i am working full time and studying 0_0

BR are very dense and really challenge your focus and patience to the max. This is why chads video is a very good complement. I really love the G-Chem and Phys in BR. It will sink in deep when you switch back and forth between BR and chads........but that is me.

I watched chads more than one time. His stuff seemed basic and simple at the beginning. But once you spend time to think and then read BR. It becomes crystal clear.

Thanks that's good feed back! Because BR is VERY DENSE so I felt I needed another supplement and chads videos seemed like the perfect fit! I'm excited to get started using them in my studies.

So do you always read BR first then watch corresponding Chad video for topic? Then maybe do practice passages?

Thanks that's good feed back! Because BR is VERY DENSE so I felt I needed another supplement and chads videos seemed like the perfect fit! I'm excited to get started using them in my studies.

So do you always read BR first then watch corresponding Chad video for topic? Then maybe do practice passages?

I started with Chad about 10 days ahead of the modified SN2ed 3.5 months plan to set the baseline.

Took PRSW daily & 3rd parties FLs twice a week along the way.

Continued fill in gaps after each FL review by moving back and forward between Chads and BR.

Last edited:
First off, why do you want your MD? Have you thought about just going the PhD? If you want a career heavily focused on research, why not just PhD?

How many credit hours are you planning on taking next semester? How many are you taking this semester? Perhaps take a light load semester (12/13 hours) while studying for the MCAT? Doing so might push your graduate back a semester though, if that's cool with you.

EDIT: ALSO, if you do push it back and decide to study over the summer, you should not even apply until the 2014/2015 cycle. That said, you will actually end up having two gap years instead of the one if you applied this upcoming summer.

Yeah I have thought about doing just a PhD and after discussions with my mentor, the kind of research I want to do in the future would be better executed by someone with a clinical background and not just a PhD. I am taking 13 credit hours this semester, so I think I'm going for a 4 month study plan and see how I come out the other end, in any case thank you for your response =] :D

Took the Kaplan diagnostic and got a 30. I didn't finish the PS section, so I was a little irritated by that. Mainly because it would have been more fulfilling to get a 31 or 32 so that I can take advantage of their "Score higher or your money back" guarantee. I previously scored 29 two times in a row, so I think this diagnostic is pretty close to the mark.

I am now working through the Physics "lesson"

Just a question from all 2014 JANUARY MCAT takers -- why are you guys taking it in January when you can take in April and still take advantage of the rolling admissions?

It could be a stupid question, but besides not wanting to forget things from summer, why not give your self an extra 2-3 months -- are you going to benefit in any way if you take it in Jan not in April?

Just a question from all 2014 JANUARY MCAT takers -- why are you guys taking it in January when you can take in April and still take advantage of the rolling admissions?

It could be a stupid question, but besides not wanting to forget things from summer, why not give your self an extra 2-3 months -- are you going to benefit in any way if you take it in Jan not in April?

I am not one of 2014 fighter; but let me give you my 2 cents guessing.

1) Right after x'mas break.
2) April is usually tighter on school schedule including final either around corner or tons of things to wrap up.
3) No/very tight room for re-take study if wish to submit primary on June 1.
4) Jan classwork is usually on slow side.

Most critical (1) and (3).

So for someone who is in a gap year - not taking any courses, there is no benefit (in terms of MCAT or application) to do it on January and not April (not considering the need for a retake). Correct?

So for someone who is in a gap year - not taking any courses, there is no benefit (in terms of MCAT or application) to do it on January and not April (not considering the need for a retake). Correct?

Technically and narrow speaking, Yes.

But if you look at most of the folks in the Jan 2014 one, there are a lot of emotions in the air.
People really wanted to get it done in either Aug or Sept 2013 and couldn't for whatever the reason one way or other. Four months is about right for them to do it again once for all; such that the beast is behind them and they can move on their normal life and also prepare well without MCAT hanging on their axx to prepare for the primary in June.

I am pretty sure there are other individual reasons.

But again, if I am in gap year and sitting around, I will do it in Jan or Mar and not dragging my buxx till April. But this is me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm also taking the exam in January! I work full time during the week and was just wondering what some of your study plans are for those who are also working? I have the TPR books and waiting on EK in the mail. I hear EK is enough to prepare yourself. Any insight?! Happy studying! :)

Hi everyone! I'm also taking the exam in January! I work full time during the week and was just wondering what some of your study plans are for those who are also working? I have the TPR books and waiting on EK in the mail. I hear EK is enough to prepare yourself. Any insight?! Happy studying! :)

EK should be good if you already have a good knowledge base to build upon.

Anyone begin studying yet?

Since my schedule reroute, I planned out the next 5 months and, while my full-length test taking has stopped for a few weeks, I've still been reviewing. By the time I get to the test, I will have had...oh...nearly one year under my belt.

:lame:

I'm in the same situation. We got this fellow floridian!

I am having this internal battle going on with myself. I just purchased TPR review content books and I have the TPRH SW but I feel like I should just buy TBR instead. I have older TBR material and everyone here always pushes those books, but I don't want to wait a few weeks now just to get an updated book.

Should I do TBR for just PS only and then do TPR for BS?

Or, should I just study using TPR and use my older TBR books (Physics 2009, Gen chem 2010, O chem 2010) just for passage practice?

I have plenty of online questions and passages I can use from TPR online content from those books PLUS the TPRH SW.

I think my day will go like this: Read Chapter---> do practice problems (using TPR online and SW)---------> do practice passages (TPR online and TPRH SW). Then maybe during the weekend I could do some passages from TBR?

I think you can study using TPR, and fill in gaps with TBR if you don't want to spend money on new BR books. Just make sure you do TBR passages.

I'd like to request a thread title change to 'Jan2014 examinees unite' unless all of you are prometric employees

I just graduated and plus I'm a retake from Aug 2012! I want this test done and over with that way I can have the rest of the time to work and prepare for app cycle. I would advise people to take it early this year being that the new MCAT is about to be here i 2015. You don't want to be waiting till april to take then have to postpone to summer and end up getting a score you don't like. Then if you have to retake your basically up S**t Out of Luck! So my advice to you and everyone else that still has this test lurking over your shoulders is to take it early, STUDY Your ASS Off and be done with this beast!!!

Happy Labor Day My Fellow Jan2014 Takers! Anyone studying today? I plan to go over some physics! Good lick studying everyone!!!

Happy Labor Day My Fellow Jan2014 Takers! Anyone studying today? I plan to go over some physics! Good lick studying everyone!!!

hola. will be doing some studying after dinner tonight. a couple verbal passages and some physics/chem review

First break of the day.
Fellow Miami Pre-Med here!
Finished TBR Orgo Ch 2 and Gonna take the first 1/3rd of the passage set after my brea followed by another 2 passages of TPRH Verbal.

I'd like to request a thread title change to 'Jan2014 examinees unite' unless all of you are prometric employees

Not a hit at you Iceman, but I can tell, like me... you have a little OCD. And you'll probably be a gunner in med school!

I'm trying to make an MCAT study guide based off the AAMC topics list through the use of various sources including my Berkeley Review, Exam Krackers and Kaplan books. So my question is what is the actual MCAT font? Size 12 Times New Roman? It may seem like a stupid and random question but I figured if I'm going to print out a study guide I should at least make sure it is in the same format as the real thing.

Last edited:

Yessir! I Studied the Chem II Lecture of TBR yesterday, and all day today, i'm going to complete ALL passages on the lecture. I've been using this method (Content studying one day, all passages on topic the next day) and i've been attaining the concepts i need to get pretty well. Berkley passages do a good job of making the main concepts stick IMO. The passages are TOUGH though! Not complaining though, it's part of the process.

Let's be productive today!

Guys so I have completely finished the TPR verbal workbook, and the TPR ICC verbal section. I was thinking of reading the economist (these are my weakest topics) and the New Yorker daily just to stay in the rhythm. I also have EK, so my plan was to start EK maybe in a month or two, and redo all the TPR verbal passages. What do you guys think?

I'm worried i'll be in a similar situation soon... What do I do when I've done all the TPR verbal sections? I think i'm going to buy the EK verbal since it's not expensive and a great resource from what i've heard.

Guys so I have completely finished the TPR verbal workbook, and the TPR ICC verbal section. I was thinking of reading the economist (these are my weakest topics) and the New Yorker daily just to stay in the rhythm. I also have EK, so my plan was to start EK maybe in a month or two, and redo all the TPR verbal passages. What do you guys think?

I was planning on Buying the BR Verbal. I've almost used all my EK passages except for maybe 4 or 5 exams. However I do have the AAMC SA Verbal so ideally I guess I could practice from that. I have never touched TPRH verb. I think I'm going to just save it for last. I have some Kaplan verbal topicals that I was thinking of using, but I've heard that Kaplan verbal is horrible. However it is Good Practice for me since verbal is a weak point. PM me if you would like the verbal topicals. I don't mind helping a Fellow Jan2014 test taker!

I'm worried i'll be in a similar situation soon... What do I do when I've done all the TPR verbal sections? I think i'm going to buy the EK verbal since it's not expensive and a great resource from what i've heard.

You should Definitely but the EK 101 Verbal passages. They are really great to practice with and plus everyone on SDN for the most part consider them to be the closest resemblance to AAMC verbal.

I thought the Kaplan QBANK verbal was pretty spot on as far as comparing to the AAMC tests for content and rational behind the answers. My only complaint, and this goes for all the Verbal prep materials, is that the articles used are way way too short. On the actual MCAT they are all LONG and you have to sprint read through every single one just to barely make it in time. On the AAMC tests I could take it easy on at least 1 or 2 passages, but not on the real thing. Be ready for that

I was on it for the June 2013 MCAT, but figured why not wait it out as i still juggled work/one more organic chem II class i cudn't do during the summer/and crappy results in my full-length practice.
I have so far realized i need to do even more content review (TPR science workbook, Examkrackers 1001 books, then TBR books...i have them all).
I am taking that Organic Chem II class this fall...so i will probably plan to take my exam inside 2014; say april/may/june and not January. In that i will follow the advise of many on here not to take the exam while in school. I will still have to work, but at least will be able to commit 6-8hrs of study time.
Gotta do it this time. See u all around.

I thought the Kaplan QBANK verbal was pretty spot on as far as comparing to the AAMC tests for content and rational behind the answers. My only complaint, and this goes for all the Verbal prep materials, is that the articles used are way way too short. On the actual MCAT they are all LONG and you have to sprint read through every single one just to barely make it in time. On the AAMC tests I could take it easy on at least 1 or 2 passages, but not on the real thing. Be ready for that

I've also heard that as well. I'm still using the Kaplan Sectionals plus I also have the Kaplan FL and Topicals & Sectionals for all subjects. I plan to utilize all as practice for MCAT. Have you used the sectionals before from kaplan? If so what did you think about them.

I was on it for the June 2013 MCAT, but figured why not wait it out as i still juggled work/one more organic chem II class i cudn't do during the summer/and crappy results in my full-length practice.
I have so far realized i need to do even more content review (TPR science workbook, Examkrackers 1001 books, then TBR books...i have them all).
I am taking that Organic Chem II class this fall...so i will probably plan to take my exam inside 2014; say april/may/june and not January. In that i will follow the advise of many on here not to take the exam while in school. I will still have to work, but at least will be able to commit 6-8hrs of study time.
Gotta do it this time. See u all around.

MCAT + Classes just don't mix well. Plus a lot of other premed's have EC's and work. Its just to much to juggle while studying for a huge exam like MCAT. That's why I'm taking in January. I'm not enrolled as of now but in january I will start my Masters program. So MCAT will be out of the way and all I have to worry about is primary and secondaries!

Can anyone upload a calendar file for 4 month SN2ed? Or if anyone has made a 5 month version, that would be even better! I've not been able to import the calendar from here: http://mcatschedule.webs.com/mcatschedular122days.htm for some reason.

Thanks!

The calendar doesn't list any verbal review...

edit: Also, when it says "1/3", this means 1/3 of the questions in the back of the chapter? I have TPR so maybe this is different than EK and BR?

I've also heard that as well. I'm still using the Kaplan Sectionals plus I also have the Kaplan FL and Topicals & Sectionals for all subjects. I plan to utilize all as practice for MCAT. Have you used the sectionals before from kaplan? If so what did you think about them.

I haven't used them yet, but I will be in a few weeks so I guess I can let you know then.

I haven't used them yet, but I will be in a few weeks so I guess I can let you know then.

Kaplan sections are good practice in my opinion....better than a lot of other stuff. We ran out of time and only did 3 BS and 1 PS out of 14 sandwiched in AAMC 11 the last 3 days before the real thing.

I think they are simulated like some of the conceptual passages in the real thing.

inycepoo probably can give you "better comments" including FLs and topicals in which I have not used.....:p

Hey guys!

I plan to re-take my MCAT in January.

I took my first MCAT in May ... got a 21 ... I was really upset for a while.

But, I spoke with my professor, some friends, and great people here on SDN ...
I decided that I best option would be to retake them in Jan, not in Sept, because I didn't wanted to risk anything and felt the need to redo all my prep since I got such a low score.

So, I just got done with my little summer break and now I am going to go hardcore MCAT prep for 5 months!

BTW, I just graduated and now I am taking a gap year ... so the extra time will really benefit me. I am going to devote all of my time to MCAT. So, if I do good in January, I can apply really early and focus on other requirements. But if god forbid, I still would have to retake it again ... I guess I would still have good time to retake them in March/April.

BTW, when can I sign up for the January MCATs?

Oh yeah ...
The first time around I studied with Kaplan. This time I am going use my own schedule which will consist much of that 3 month MCAT schedule (but prolonged to 5 months). I will also try to use other resources this time like TBR.
The first 3 months will be content review mainly. And the final 2 months primarily will be practice tests, etc.

Who's in Washington DC (or Maryland, DC, Northern VA area) and wants to be my study friend? :)
I usually can't follow anyone's pace due to my schedule now, unless you have a similar life schedule with me: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14422130#post14422130
Will just like to have someone around doing same thing I am doing. Keep each other motivated.

Hey guys!

BTW, when can I sign up for the January MCATs?

I've heard that the schedule and registration will come out late this fall, around mid October.

I'm interested in applying to the AAMC Fee Assistance Program (FAP), would that application for the 2014 year be available at the same time as the new schedule comes out?

It says to apply way in advance before you need to sign up for your MCAT date, but the website still only has the application for 2013?

So my question is what is the actual MCAT font? Size 12 Times New Roman? It may seem like a stupid and random question but I figured if I'm going to print out a study guide I should at least make sure it is in the same format as the real thing.

Haha, I have no idea, but that's real dedication/OCD. I hope you figured it out!!

The calendar doesn't list any verbal review...

edit: Also, when it says "1/3", this means 1/3 of the questions in the back of the chapter? I have TPR so maybe this is different than EK and BR?

Can someone please answer my question :(

Haha, I have no idea, but that's real dedication/OCD. I hope you figured it out!!

:thumbup:

The calendar assumes you already know to do the 2-3 verbal passages a day except on Break days! Using either EK, TPRH Verb or BR Verb. The 1/3 passages is specifically for TBR books. They have tons of passages at the end of a passage. So if you have EK or another company you want be able be to do this part of the plan. Maybe you could just do the EK 30min class exams in its place or maybe purchase TBR books! Its a good investment! I hope that helps!

Also you did mention you had TPR! The Science work books may help you out. I would also check out the 3 month MCAT study Schedule forum on SDN.it has a detailed version of the calendar schedule plus helpful tips. I would advise you to read it first before starting the plan. Thats what I did! Quite helpful! Goodluck!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=871631

I found the above thread helpful. I just got a bunch of Berkeley Review books in the mail yesterday and was sitting flipping through them wondering if the 1/3 definition was clearly spelled out. It sounds like it's simply skipping over every few questions.

Hope that helps.

I think I'll get around to actually studying the BR material at some point but I've sorta committed myself to completing Nova Physics at the moment. Translational motion continues to mystify me.

I have not seen the 4 month schedule & I suspect that some of the details "may be" taken out because SN2ed either assume you are all big boys/girls and can look at the original schedule to check it out or he did not have time to type in all the details. He is too damn busy in med school.

In the 3 months plan, if you click on individual daily event, another windows comes up showing a description field where SN2ed put in details related to that event. There is where the 1/3 was explained.
It simply said do questions/passages 1,4,7 for first 1/3....do 2,5,8 for second 1/3......do 3,6,9 for the last 1/3.

Well, you get the idea.