Other Jamaica Hospital Prematch Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainman6304

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a question,
So I interviewed at Jamaica Hospital for the IM Residency and they were asking if I was interested in the pre-matching. I'm an US IMG and I know that things are getting bleaker as the years pass for us. I was thinking about accepting but first would appreciate any information, that they may not mention, such as admin. difficulties or why they're out of the match or info from any Jamaica residents out there. Any information that you may have please feel free to share neg/positive. The interview day felt rushed and I wasn't able to get a good assessment of their program hence the fact that I am asking on this forum. If anyone could give me any insight into this program that would be great!

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Jamaica hospital doesnt really have a good reputation...I keep hearing people make fun of it and telling me how bad the residents are...not sure how true it is bec ive neve been there myself..but the one girl I know who went there wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed...

Jamaica Hospital in Queens, NY ?

1. How many programs are your applying to?
2. Where have you gotten interviews already?
3. Its not the program, but its called "self learning". All residents should be able to pick up a book and read and not expect to be "spoon fed".

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure about IM, but at least in my field (Pathology) the ACGME removed the ability to "pre-match" -- everyone has to go through the match. The hospital may be offering a "pre-match" which is really just a letter saying they intend to rank-to-match but is not binding AFAIK (and it is certainly not binding on how YOU rank a program). If they have (for example) 10 spots and they have "pre-matched" 20, and all 20 rank the program number 1 then...well...10 people still won't match there. Why would the program do this? To feel like they have more control over who matches (no program likes to go too deep down their rank lists).

Don't know anything personally about Jamaica Hospital so can't say if they are just trying to game you or not. Don't forget that most places will let you return for a second-look visit. Interview days are rushed everywhere -- it is the nature of the beast. A second look can give you a more complete picture of a program.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea about Jamaica hospital specifically, but just wanted to clarify that the post above is incorrect.

It is still possible to offer pre-matches - however, a program can't offer prematches and be in the NRMP match at the same time. The ACGME instituted an all-in policy in 2012 meaning that a program has to offer all their positions through the match. If they want to offer prematches they can no longer participate in the NRMP match, but will have to pre-match everyone. They still use ERAS for the application process, extending interviews etc, but you don't go through the match, you simply sign a contract with the hospital.

Places that are offering pre-matches and don't participate in the NRMP match includes St. Barnabas hospital (both the one in NJ and the one in NY), Jamaica hospital, and I believe St Peter's University hospital in NJ. While I can't say anything specifically about any of those places, they all matched a high number of IMGs before the all-in policy was instituted, so they probably decided to pre-match everyone as that way they have better control of who they get. Actually when I interviewed at one of those places a couple of years ago, they already had 4 people who signed their contract, and was expecting to sign the last 2 outside the match as well (and that was before the all-in policy took effect).

So places offering pre-matches will only be employing IMGs (either USIMGs or other IMGs) or US graduates who didn't match the previous year. If you look at some of the websites, you'll realize that they mainly employ IMGs from India, Pakistan, etc. I don't think that is in any way a bad thing, you just need to realize that you will not have a lot of American co-residents.

Pre-matching does offer the security of knowing where you will go, but at the same time it limits your choices significantly! So you need to consider whether you're a competitive applicant or not - and that is extremely difficult to assess. If you don't think that you are competitive (e.g. only received a couple of interviews), a pre-match would probably be your best bet, while you could gamble and wait for the match if you feel you're more competitive. However, if you wait for the match you will not be able to match at Jamaica hospital (or any other place offering pre-matches), as they will already have pre-matched all their positions.

Hope that helps... And good luck with the decision - I know it's difficult as I was in your shoes a couple of years ago...

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't know that programs had a choice like that. Thanks for the correction.