Is this enough reinvention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterwolf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve found this forum incredibly helpful to keep me on track. I’m looking to get some advice on my next steps. Both my undergraduate and science gpas were previously below 3.0, they were cGPA 2.7 sGPA 2.1. I am a career changer and all the classes that I took in my DIY post-bacc were taken for the first time.

Post Bacc GPA: 3.85 (51 credit hours)

Cell/Molecular Bio w/ lab : B
Gen Chem 1 Lecture: A
Gen Chem 1 Lab: A
Latin 1: A
Intro to Psych: A
Organisms Bio w/ lab: A
Gen Chem 2 Lecture : A
Gen Chem 2 Lab: A
Music Theory I: A
Organic Chemistry 1: A
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab: A
Physics 1 w/ Lab: B
Behavioral Statistics: A
Music Theory II: A
Classical Guitar Ensemble: A
Organic Chemistry 2 Lecture: A
Organic Chemistry 2 Lab: A
Physics 2 w/ Lab: A
A & P 1 w/ Lab: A

Updated udergrad GPA: cGPA 3.03, sGPA 3.09

My only outstanding items now are biochemistry and the MCAT. I will also continue to volunteer and shadow.

Clinical Volunteering: 250 + hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 + hours

Shadowing: 60 hours

Texas Resident

What does this upcoming year look like for me if I am applying next cycle MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely good for DO, and quite possibly in the running for TX MD schools. Looks like you’re past the 3.0 automatic GPA cutoff that a lot of programs use. It really comes down to your on MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve found this forum incredibly helpful to keep me on track. I’m looking to get some advice on my next steps. Both my undergraduate and science gpas were previously below 3.0, they were cGPA 2.7 sGPA 2.1. I am a career changer and all the classes that I took in my DIY post-bacc were taken for the first time.

Post Bacc GPA: 3.85 (51 credit hours)

Cell/Molecular Bio w/ lab : B
Gen Chem 1 Lecture: A
Gen Chem 1 Lab: A
Latin 1: A
Intro to Psych: A
Organisms Bio w/ lab: A
Gen Chem 2 Lecture : A
Gen Chem 2 Lab: A
Music Theory I: A
Organic Chemistry 1: A
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab: A
Physics 1 w/ Lab: B
Behavioral Statistics: A
Music Theory II: A
Classical Guitar Ensemble: A
Organic Chemistry 2 Lecture: A
Organic Chemistry 2 Lab: A
Physics 2 w/ Lab: A
A & P 1 w/ Lab: A

Updated udergrad GPA: cGPA 3.03, sGPA 3.09

My only outstanding items now are biochemistry and the MCAT. I will also continue to volunteer and shadow.

Clinical Volunteering: 250 + hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 + hours

Shadowing: 60 hours

Texas Resident

What does this upcoming year look like for me if I am applying next cycle MD/DO?
Yup, you have reinvented yourself. Please send an app to my school!!

Chances for MD will only be with TX schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like you've worked really hard and done a great job. Now ace the MCAT. DO is in reach with a reasonable MCAT, and maybe MD with a strong one.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a med student, also a re-inventer.

I might suggest 9 more credits of post-bac to get to 60 credits, but definitely enough to take the MCAT and see.
Maybe finish out A&P, take micro, biochem, genetics, and/or more psych. There's a few non-science courses in the post-bac that probably isn't doing much to make your app standout. Upper level science courses like micro, genetics, and biochem would give more confidence to adcoms on your academic ability, imo. They are also beneficial for MCAT and medicine in general.

Good luck!