Is one hobby enough to humanize me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bull1212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently applying this cycle and at the moment I am confident I only have one hobby which is running. I want to add another one but I'm not sure if it'll even be considered a hobby with my background.
I'm Mexican-American and I grew up learning Spanish from my parents who were never in the medical field. However, upon entry into the medical field, I found I didn't know how to translate certain medical terms and I felt unprepared to translate. Luckily, the patients I translated for were very understanding and understood everything I said and would even teach me some words. After my first experience, I made a vow to learn Spanish medical terminology and I feel like it became a hobby because I studied words and even found ways to explain certain procedures when the procedure name wasn't enough for the patient to understand what was going on. Would you still consider this to be a hobby with my Spanish-speaking background?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

No, that is not a hobby.

If you have to ask if that's a hobby, all this tells me is that you need a hobby, ironically.

Go out and get yourself an actual hobby, please. I don't mean that in a cruel way in the least.

Reactions: 2 users
No, that is not a hobby.

If you have to ask if that's a hobby, all this tells me is that you need a hobby, ironically.

Go out and get yourself an actual hobby, please. I don't mean that in a cruel way in the least.
You definitely have a point. Also, did not find your advice cruel at all, thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Running is okay... but I guess I need to know your details worthy of a W/A slot. You don't have to if you are casually running for fitness purposes, but if you run a 5K or more, it wouldn't hurt.

Running is okay... but I guess I need to know your details worthy of a W/A slot. You don't have to if you are casually running for fitness purposes, but if you run a 5K or more, it wouldn't hurt.
W/A slot as in waitlist or acceptance? Apologies but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying sir.

I have a description for my running hobby already but I recently got into it a bit more because my younger brother took an interest in it. We talked about doing a 5K and I wanted to add it to my description but I'm not sure if I should. My logic is that I've been doing it since I was 17 y/o, and I'd be doing my first 5K at 24 y/o, so what would be my excuse for waiting for so long? I feel like this would be a valid question and honestly, I didn't do them because I overlooked they even existed.

W/A slot as in waitlist or acceptance? Apologies but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying sir.

I have a description for my running hobby already but I recently got into it a bit more because my younger brother took an interest in it. We talked about doing a 5K and I wanted to add it to my description but I'm not sure if I should. My logic is that I've been doing it since I was 17 y/o, and I'd be doing my first 5K at 24 y/o, so what would be my excuse for waiting for so long? I feel like this would be a valid question and honestly, I didn't do them because I overlooked they even existed.
Work/Activites

Stop over-thinking about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users