Is there anyone who doesn’t get to wear a long white coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For sure, your n = 2,3 is objective domination. I'm sure the real world is full of NPs rushing around informing people that they are not doctors. That must be why they are all switching to DNP programs by 2015.

EDIT: Just saw that you're an NP ... my role in that discussion ends here (and after reading the absurdity of your first post).

I'm a student NP. Oh, and I'm in a masters program very intentionally because I don't think the DNP adds much to the NP profession. But hey, don't let a few facts get in the way of your rush to judgement.

Also, my first post was about why it makes sense for physicians to make more than NPs. Oh, and I said PAs lecture at my school. I'm one wild and crazy dude.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a student NP. Oh, and I'm in a masters program very intentionally because I don't think the DNP adds much to the NP profession. But hey, don't let a few facts get in the way of your rush to judgement.

Also, my first post was about why it makes sense for physicians to make more than NPs. Oh, and I said PAs lecture at my school. I'm one wild and crazy dude.

Would that happen to be an online Master's degree?

I wish so badly it was an unfounded snap judgement with little validity. Unfortunately, it's the cumulative opinion of YEARS of reading/seeing the same BS over and over again. Frankly, it's going to take a lot more than the testimonial of an NP to change this, but here's to agreeing to disagree.

Would that happen to be an online Master's degree?

We're talking about professional attitudes and white coats. Does it matter where I go to school?

But for your curiosity, I go to UPenn. From what I hear they're pretty well known in health care.

So were you fishing for some sort of burn to throw out...? Why on earth would the prestige of where I go matter to you? Since I go to an Ivy can we talk as equals?

I wish so badly it was an unfounded snap judgement with little validity. Unfortunately, it's the cumulative opinion of YEARS of reading/seeing the same BS over and over again. Frankly, it's going to take a lot more than the testimonial of an NP to change this, but here's to agreeing to disagree.

Thanks. I wasn't expecting that. And honestly, on this forum I count getting to polite disagreement as a victory for the NP camp.

Last edited:
We're talking about professional attitudes and white coats. Does it matter where I go to school?

I go to UPenn. From what I hear they're pretty well known in health care.

So were you fishing for some sort of burn to throw out...? Why on earth would the prestige of where I go matter to you? Since I go to an Ivy can we talk as equals?

haha... sure and I go to Oxford. :laugh:

Getting back to the white coat... it's got me thinking a little bit.

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE WHITE?

I'd much prefer a pastel blue, solid or with thin stripes.

White to see stains.

I would prefer a clear coats.

I am putting flames on my coat so it always looks like I am moving fast.

Yup, as soon as I am not required to wear a white coat, I will be rocking 'business chic'.

RalphLaurensacksuits.jpg

Wow, that brown tweed is sexy. Mix that with some wingtips and its all classss. :cool:

What about ponchos? Like those yellow ones they sell at Great America for when it rains? Would be very useful for the "juicier" specialties.

But then, there would be a fight over who got the long vs short white ponchos.

Oldiebutgoodie

At the hospital the other day, trying to check out a patient, only a doc sitting at the desk doing charting or something. It takes me forever to find a nurse, beg them to help me, finally manage to drag one over to the check-out computer. As I'm standing there I look down at the "doc's" badge, which was partially hidden by the folds of her white coat: Unit Clerk.

Gaaaaaahhh, so annoying.

My solution:

aprons - lots of pockets! easy to wash! very prestigious looking!

MrFood.JPG

In a related note, if you are listing more than 3 things after your name and none of them is an advanced degree, you look like an idiot. Why do RNs insist on putting certifications on their signatures and coats? I don't put AB, BA, MD, ACLS, PALS, NRP.

Ha ha so true. It takes me forever to separate the credentials from their name on first glance. However I think the best way to determine whether they are a doctor or not is their shoes. At my hospital all the LWC wearing nurses and social workers wear F me pumps, i.e- boots that just about touch their knee caps with 5 inch heels.

... social workers wear F me pumps, i.e- boots that just about touch their knee caps with 5 inch heels.

I tried wearing those once. They did not work as advertised.

Getting back to the white coat... it's got me thinking a little bit.

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE WHITE?

I'd much prefer a pastel blue, solid or with thin stripes.

That's how we roll here in Peoria.
The attendings and residents wear blue pinstriped coats.

It's very distinctive.

However, down in the ED, I prefer to eschew the coat entirely, and go for black scrubs with lots and lots of pockets (http://aviatorscrubs.com/)

That's how we roll here in Peoria.
The attendings and residents wear blue pinstriped coats.

It's very distinctive.

However, down in the ED, I prefer to eschew the coat entirely, and go for black scrubs with lots and lots of pockets (http://aviatorscrubs.com/)

Not going to say that American nurses won't fit into something like that but I suspect that the new nurse uniform will one day be a muumuu

homer_muumuu.jpg

I was reminded of this thread today. The community college nursing students today had long white coats.

In OB clinic, the Ultrasound Tech STUDENT had a long, EMBROIDERED white coat on. I almost threw up. I can deal with long coats, unembroidered. That = lab coat to me. Embroidery, especially with degree is something I can't stomach. Our Pain Management team has RN, BSN all on their coats and it makes me want to vomit.

In OB clinic, the Ultrasound Tech STUDENT had a long, EMBROIDERED white coat on. I almost threw up. I can deal with long coats, unembroidered. That = lab coat to me. Embroidery, especially with degree is something I can't stomach. Our Pain Management team has RN, BSN all on their coats and it makes me want to vomit.

I think embroidered would be better - because then at least his degree was easily on display, so that you knew he wasn't a doctor despite wearing a long coat. It's with those who wear unembroidered long white coats where the confusion arises, because if you can't see their ID easily, you have no idea if they're a tech/pharmacist/nurse/doctor/etc. They're just an unidentified person in a long white coat.

I have had this arguement with one of my attendings who made us wear our white coats on his rotation since he believes it conveys us in a "more professional light" to other medical personel.

Otherwise I have never worn my white coat since I was an intern. I actually have never been recognized as anything but a doctor when not wearing my white coat.

I really think if you dress sharply and carry yourself well it is going to make a physician stand out much more. Going with a sport coat or otherwise just a nice pair of real dress pants (not kaki's or dockers), a nicely fitted dress shirt w or w/out a tie and nicely shined shoes, nobody else in the hospital is going to be dressed that way. I understand many docs either hate fashion or just do not care but if you really have a problem with the white coat and want to be set apart somewhat than this is really the best option. Not to mention its fun to have a bit of fashion sense-makes you really stand out to people if you have a keen sense. I think its fun and has eliminated me being mistaken with the phlebotomist :)

I have had this arguement with one of my attendings who made us wear our white coats on his rotation since he believes it conveys us in a "more professional light" to other medical personel.

Otherwise I have never worn my white coat since I was an intern. I actually have never been recognized as anything but a doctor when not wearing my white coat.

I really think if you dress sharply and carry yourself well it is going to make a physician stand out much more. Going with a sport coat or otherwise just a nice pair of real dress pants (not kaki's or dockers), a nicely fitted dress shirt w or w/out a tie and nicely shined shoes, nobody else in the hospital is going to be dressed that way. I understand many docs either hate fashion or just do not care but if you really have a problem with the white coat and want to be set apart somewhat than this is really the best option. Not to mention its fun to have a bit of fashion sense-makes you really stand out to people if you have a keen sense. I think its fun and has eliminated me being mistaken with the phlebotomist :)

You sound like a real fashionista.

haha. This thread cracks me up.

Ha ha so true. It takes me forever to separate the credentials from their name on first glance. However I think the best way to determine whether they are a doctor or not is their shoes. At my hospital all the LWC wearing nurses and social workers wear F me pumps, i.e- boots that just about touch their knee caps with 5 inch heels.

If only every hospital were like yours...:D

A social worker and the nutritionists at my old hospital wore those boots...and they had the legs and were in shape to wear them.

Yeah, I am a leg man. :cool:

For me, scrubs have enough pockets. Wallet and keys in the pocket facing the inside and my PDA/iTouch, phone and pens in the pocket facing out. The only worry are my stethoscope "ears" around the neck if I am working with a crazy patient that would try to use them to strangle me. Though I am not in psychiatry, it is still a concern.

I have only carried 3 pagers at most in the hospital, all fit on the waist of my scrub pants.

If I do wear a white coat, the ears go into one of the pockets.

A man almost never gets mistaken for anything but a doctor....women on the other hand, are always confused for nurses, techs, etc. Awesome

That would not work in my case. In the office, I am wearing my white coat when doing procedures and more often than not, very high heels (although not boots in most cases). Many of the local female surgeons here also do the same.

Man what we need is blinged out head mirror things. All the patients will know the doctor is in the house when he rolls in with an "iced-out" head mirror.