How does your clinic handle patients who refuse to wear a mask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cirruslife82

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I know of a couple of clinics that allow the patient to wear the clear plastic faceguards that sits on the forehead, but just curious about other's experiences when patients come in citing medical reasons, mostly nonsensical, for why they can't wear a mask in the clinic. Are they turned away?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically what the title says. I know of a couple of clinics that allow the patient to wear the clear plastic faceguards that sits on the forehead, but just curious about other's experiences when patients come in citing medical reasons, mostly nonsensical, for why they can't wear a mask in the clinic. Are they turned away?
Yes

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
In psychiatry, I'd imagine we'd make them undergo flooding therapy for their anxiety or claustrophobia by holding a pillow over their face. If they protest they can't breathe, we'd call 911, since this is psychiatry and our ACLS/BLS has probably expired.

However in reality, since this is psychiatry, our clinic is freaked out about COVID and all visits are virtual.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
No mask-no service. They don’t get in the door actually! We do provide masks for people that don’t have one and want one!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my state, you can actually call the police for non-compliance. For instance, if you tell the individual to go out and get a mask, and if he/she refuses to leave, you can call the police. I don't know if it is that way in your state. You might want to find out.

In our state, the cases are very high. We are on a Stay at Home order.

• Wow
In my state, you can actually call the police for non-compliance. For instance, if you tell the individual to go out and get a mask, and if he/she refuses to leave, you can call the police. I don't know if it is that way in your state. You might want to find out.

In our state, the cases are very high. We are on a Stay at Home order.
Leave here (they don’t leave), is trespassing regardless of masks

Reactions: 3 users

Yes. Where I'm doing fellowship there are signs everywhere that say - in English and Spanish - that facemasks are required, and if patients don't want to wear one, they will be asked to leave. Don't think anyone has refused.