Is the job outlook for PTAs bright or dark and depressing? PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roughneck85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep finding mixed info on this matter

Im very fascinated by this field and want to go int the right path. In some places I hear the outlook isnt good because of laws, recession etc.

Now other people are telling me its a solid carrer always hiring

I dont know what to believe anymore

help a student here please

Members don't see this ad.

physical therapists will always be needed and plenty of places are always hiring..job outlook is always growing for pt

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in CA right now and things differ for hiring of PT and PTA from city to city, county to county probably just like every other part in the US. In CA right now I met a few people who have either left their job as a PTA or were laid off. Basically the 3 told me that the job was good and they enjoyed it but could "see the writing on the wall" that there futures were not so bright. They got replaced with Aides and techs due to being cheaper in wage and not having to provide health insurance.

I'm in CA right now and things differ for hiring of PT and PTA from city to city, county to county probably just like every other part in the US. In CA right now I met a few people who have either left their job as a PTA or were laid off. Basically the 3 told me that the job was good and they enjoyed it but could "see the writing on the wall" that there futures were not so bright. They got replaced with Aides and techs due to being cheaper in wage and not having to provide health insurance.

not nwhat i wanted to hear

OP - Instead of asking for opinions from a bunch of strangers on the net, I suggest you
- go find a few PTAs and talk to them; offer to buy them a cup of coffee and ask for 10-15 mins of their time;
- look for specific discussion boards where PTAs congregate, read the posts there to get the background picture, and then participate intelligently.

OP - Instead of asking for opinions from a bunch of strangers on the net, I suggest you
- go find a few PTAs and talk to them; offer to buy them a cup of coffee and ask for 10-15 mins of their time;
- look for specific discussion boards where PTAs congregate, read the posts there to get the background picture, and then participate intelligently.

will do that you know of any good boards?

A lot of people are getting older so I would say that PTs will grow in demand... until some crazy technology comes out (it may happen within our lifetime!) that might make our skills obsolete.

Demand for PTA's will also continue to grow in line with that of PT's. Many clinics/facilities will look to add a PTA to their staff before a PT because they will be reimbursed the same, with lower labor costs. I live in the Central Valley, and demand is always more than supply for PT's and PTA's. (FYI: I'm a PTA trying to become a DPT)