Take the job??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imt3001

Reaction score
So I heard back from some summer jobs, and I have been offered a position as a therapeutic recreation assistant for a longterm care facility (basically a nursing home) that does have a memory care unit.
I am on the fence about whether or not to take the job cause I want to know if it would actually strengthen my application or not...
I have also applied to some rehab tech positions, but haven't heard back from those places yet.
Thanks for the input:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would deff take the position, it is work experience in an area close to what you wanna do. If you get a better offer you can always take the better offer. I personally would take it because sometimes it takes a while to hear back from jobs! Good luck

I worked for the last 2.5 years as a patient coordinator for a surgeon. So I suppose the only really connection to PT at work that I have is through referrals and the fact that my job is ortho based. I think any experience in a health care setting will strengthen your app as you’re still being exposed to patients directly and can gather a further understanding of other professions in the medical field. I would take it for now and if you hear back about something you’re more interested in, you can always go that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it. It is a good experience for rehab career and you will figure out whether or not this type of setting is appealing to you for the future as well.

Take the job. Pretty much every applicant was a tech and it isn't anything special (I was one at one point). Also by working with different health professions you can discuss your experiences with other professions and how it relates (or didn't relate) to PT during an interview. I worked as an assistant in the OR for the perfusionist working the heart lung machine prior to school.

I learned so much about the heart, biochemistry, lab values, etc... it was wonderful and has really helped in my clinical rotations in the cardiac ICU. Because of that experience, I have seen a patient go from first incision, to the heart stopped as they were placed on bypass, to seeing their heart start again, get stapled up, to be transferred to the ICU sitting up for the first time, to discharge, to outpatient, to discharge again. I would have never seen the stress the surgeon, PA, and nursing staff goes through to get a patient to that CICU. I've witnessed their journey to PT, now I'll treat and see them out of PT.

Thank you guys for the advice. I did decide to take the job because it will allow me to work with a population I don't have much experience with, and yes, the more health care hours the better. Excited to have a summer job:)

Reactions: 1 user