PT Tech Job Search Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarrJean

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in undergrad completing an exercise science degree and taking pre reqs for PT school. I have began applying for entry level physical therapy (pt) positions. So far in my job search I have 3 options.

Job 1 - interviewed in October. Did not get the job based on availability. The clinic director was kind enough to allow me to return to at least get observation hours for pt school. Clinic director is now considering hiring me next year based on my new availability. Have not received a formal offer letter. Commute is 20 minutes. Already have relationship with the staff.

Job 2 - interviewed and received a job offer this week. Pays the same as job 1. Commute is 30 minutes.

Job 3 - recruiting manager called to express interest. Informed me that I would receive a call from the hiring manager this week. Still waiting. Pays $3 more. Have not received a formal offer letter.

Based on these 3 options, which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m assuming you mean tech positions not actual PT positions? Are these all for the same company or different? I’d they’re the same, I’d say start with option 2 since it’s immediate and you know you have it and see if you can transfer to the other clinic (option 1) once they need you.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to think about the different patient populations if that’s something that interests you! Would you be working directly under one PT, or floating in the clinic depending on where you’re needed? Also, what do you want to get out of this other than the observation hours? For example, I’m a PT Aide that works directly under a specific PT and PTA. Because of this, I also work with the same patients all of the time and am also able to build a relationship with them and see them progress throughout their time in the clinic. On the opposite side, floating and working wherever you’re needed may also expose you to more things. Regardless, working as an aide before starting school next fall has definitely shown me a lot more about the field as well as given me some good hands on experience with exercises and their purposes! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in undergrad completing an exercise science degree and taking pre reqs for PT school. I have began applying for entry level physical therapy (pt) positions. So far in my job search I have 3 options.

Job 1 - interviewed in October. Did not get the job based on availability. The clinic director was kind enough to allow me to return to at least get observation hours for pt school. Clinic director is now considering hiring me next year based on my new availability. Have not received a formal offer letter. Commute is 20 minutes. Already have relationship with the staff.

Job 2 - interviewed and received a job offer this week. Pays the same as job 1. Commute is 30 minutes.

Job 3 - recruiting manager called to express interest. Informed me that I would receive a call from the hiring manager this week. Still waiting. Pays $3 more. Have not received a formal offer letter.

Based on these 3 options, which would you choose?
I’d say go with option 2 and then if option 3 opens up before you start option two go with option 3.

I’m assuming you mean tech positions not actual PT positions? Are these all for the same company or different? I’d they’re the same, I’d say start with option 2 since it’s immediate and you know you have it and see if you can transfer to the other clinic (option 1) once they need you.
Yes I am referring to PT tech positions. Sorry for not clarifying. Option 1 and 2 are with the same company so transferring is definitely an option! Thank you for the advice I will highly consider that.

Try to think about the different patient populations if that’s something that interests you! Would you be working directly under one PT, or floating in the clinic depending on where you’re needed? Also, what do you want to get out of this other than the observation hours? For example, I’m a PT Aide that works directly under a specific PT and PTA. Because of this, I also work with the same patients all of the time and am also able to build a relationship with them and see them progress throughout their time in the clinic. On the opposite side, floating and working wherever you’re needed may also expose you to more things. Regardless, working as an aide before starting school next fall has definitely shown me a lot more about the field as well as given me some good hands on experience with exercises and their purposes! Good luck!
The opportunity to build and maintain relationships with the patients is definitely important to me and something I will factor into my job search. Observation hours are important of course but I truly value the experience I will gain and the people I will meet. Thank you for the advice! Good luck to you as well.

My advice. Go where they pay more.

However, if money is not an issue I would personally go where I see I fit the best. There are a lot of PT clinics, some good and a lot that are bad. I've worked at bad ones and trust me, you do not want a letter of rec from bad therapists. So look around and go off your interaction with them. Interview them, ask about their clientele, about their philosophy, and any questions that may be relavent to your future goals (my job was super involved in PT apps process and got us one on one interviews with DPT program directors). best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users