Is Mid year worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I go I'm staying either at Harrah's, Caesars, or the Bellagio. If these guys keep offering to give me free rooms in Atlantic City, no reason why they can't offer it in Vegas.
Just got back on Sunday, stayed at Harrahs. 5 days wasn't enough. Cheap, nice rooms, convenient location on the strip (although mandalay is quite a distance), we had a rental car and there were plenty of spots in the lot. Hotel also had super fast elevators, which was a really nice because I've been in some high rise hotels before that didn't have that, and it was awful getting to your room. Toby Keith's bar is there and has $12 all you can drink for the ladies (guys subsidize that with $6 beers).

Caesars and Bellagio are definitely more upscale, but you'll pay a premium there. Definitely had a good experience at Harrahs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought you'd like this one! Small hole in the wall place this summer. And best part is it tasted better than it looks.

53287034588327497801189.jpg

:love:

Coffee makes my heart flutter (sometimes literally but mostly figuratively ;) )

I don't even drink coffee and that looks uh-mazing.

That's not real coffee.

Real coffee, like real beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you dig folgers, starbucks, or even sanka, more power to you as long as you enjoy your cup! :thumbup:

Personally, I drink nothing less than freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee with specific water to coffee ratios, brew times, water hardness, and water temperatures.

I do grind the beans for 15 seconds and use water from our filtered and chilled source.

But your right Joey....as my bud sez...he likes his coffee like he likes his women....dark and strong..... as I like it creamed and sweet.....

Strange tho.....i would always drink black coffee when I travel.

I bought this dress in black - is this conservative enough for a conference ? I think if I'm going for three days, I'd like to be able to change outfits daily, so I'm bringing two suits and one dress. What do ya think about it in black ?

dress.jpg

I bought this dress in black - is this conservative enough for a conference ? I think if I'm going for three days, I'd like to be able to change outfits daily, so I'm bringing two suits and one dress. What do ya think about it in black ?

Depends on what you are doing at the conference. If you are interviewing or doing a major presentation - wear a suit. Note: the same suit can look very different with different blouses and accessories. And good suites come with both pants and skirts for added versatility. ;) If you are just attending - you can even wear jeans, no one will care. Really.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's more like it. You can't ever go wrong with Herve Leger. ;)

Wearing jeans the entire time

Ok....shorts/khakis for golf. But for the first time in a long time, im a total Spectator for this meeting. No banquets....no presentations....no pharma events....and no booth participation. Jeans it will be.

Ok....shorts/khakis for golf. But for the first time in a long time, im a total Spectator for this meeting. No banquets....no presentations....no pharma events....and no booth participation. Jeans it will be.

Guess I know how to find you

I will make it easier..... cowboy boots.

Some people got a residency without going to the Midyear but they were super involved locally. I think that as a P3 it would be beneficial for you to see how chaotic it can be :). You will learn all the preparations you need to do or what else you need to work on for your future career. It is recommended but not mandatory. Some people may reason out that it is expensive so they won't go. That is definitely understandable therefore it is subjective. But if you do not know what you want after graduation, checking out Midyear is the best thing for you especially if you are questioning yourself if you should do residency or not. I learned a lot about the residency showcase, leadership, networking and etc. I also went and said hi to the alumni students from my school who got into a residency and are now on the other side screening/interviewing students. I saw my upper class P4's and saw how they worked hard and made themselves competitive for residency, again I learned from these people by just observing or visiting their posters (as well as supporting them). Overall, I benefited and used my time well to get the resources I need to prepare for this year. There were only 10 of us my class who went and considering what I know from last year such as how Midyear is like, I have become a great resource for the incoming P3. But then, if you are unable to go you should at least get a coffee with one of your upper class and ask how it was like. Hope this helps

Some people got a residency without going to the Midyear but they were super involved locally. I think that as a P3 it would be beneficial for you to see how chaotic it can be :). You will learn all the preparations you need to do or what else you need to work on for your future career. It is recommended but not mandatory. Some people may reason out that it is expensive so they won't go. That is definitely understandable therefore it is subjective. But if you do not know what you want after graduation, checking out Midyear is the best thing for you especially if you are questioning yourself if you should do residency or not. I learned a lot about the residency showcase, leadership, networking and etc. I also went and said hi to the alumni students from my school who got into a residency and are now on the other side screening/interviewing students. I saw my upper class P4's and saw how they worked hard and made themselves competitive for residency, again I learned from these people by just observing or visiting their posters (as well as supporting them). Overall, I benefited and used my time well to get the resources I need to prepare for this year. There were only 10 of us my class who went and considering what I know from last year such as how Midyear is like, I have become a great resource for the incoming P3. But then, if you are unable to go you should at least get a coffee with one of your upper class and ask how it was like. Hope this helps

So that makes it seem like my involvement in clubs and community service don't seem like much :(

I was a P3 when I went last year but I am unsure whether I would be missing out if I don't attend the Naplex review??? Do you think this is useful?

So that makes it seem like my involvement in clubs and community service don't seem like much :(

I wouldn't interpret it that way. Maybe I should rephrase my sentence. I should have probably said something like they knew what they wanted, they knew how to make things workout and they knew how to make themselves stand out :/ . Club involvement and community service is important and they all count ! Keep doing what you love to do. One of the questions you should ask yourself is why are you getting involved in these clubs and why are you doing community service? Going to conferences is just a piece of the puzzle. Do what you think you like to do and do what you think would help you grow etc...

I've actually questioned myself about involvement in clubs and community service. There are followers and leaders. If your always a follower you might wanna start leading your own outreach. According to one of my mentors, one of them weighs more than the other.

Not all is lost. There is still hope. If I win my school clinical skills competition, I'll have to go. :smuggrin:

In the meantime, I have more money in my pocket.

Besides, I have a presentation on the 5th that's worth an entire grade.

There is always APhA....

:)

Not all is lost. There is still hope. If I win my school clinical skills competition, I'll have to go. :smuggrin:

In the meantime, I have more money in my pocket.

Besides, I have a presentation on the 5th that's worth an entire grade.

There is always APhA....

:)

c'monnnn....you're practically in a suburb of vegas, you can drive there and stay at a cheap hotel.

and you're turning down CLINTON?!

for shame.

I just booked Aria, 12/1-12/7. The good location on the strip + cleanliness + the fact that we'll have a shuttle to Mandalay sold me.

4 weeks.

May your flight to Vegas be safe.... and don't get stuck on row 28 of DC-9 in a middle seat between fat cowboys attending the annual rodeo conference.

:smuggrin:

4 weeks.

May your flight to Vegas be safe.... and don't get stuck on row 28 of DC-9 in a middle seat between fat cowboys attending the annual rodeo conference.

:smuggrin:

Mmmmmm...fat cowboys

Just got back on Sunday, stayed at Harrahs. 5 days wasn't enough. Cheap, nice rooms, convenient location on the strip (although mandalay is quite a distance), we had a rental car and there were plenty of spots in the lot. Hotel also had super fast elevators, which was a really nice because I've been in some high rise hotels before that didn't have that, and it was awful getting to your room. Toby Keith's bar is there and has $12 all you can drink for the ladies (guys subsidize that with $6 beers).

Caesars and Bellagio are definitely more upscale, but you'll pay a premium there. Definitely had a good experience at Harrahs.

I wasn't at midyear, but also had a great experience at Harrahs. Mainly because I played texas hold 'em and kicked some... They have bounty tourneys where you get an extra $20 for every player you knock out. Knock out 4 and you've won your buy-in back, plus another $500 for winning. Good times. Math rules.

Carrot top is pretty funny.

I wasn't at midyear, but also had a great experience at Harrahs. Mainly because I played texas hold 'em and kicked some... They have bounty tourneys where you get an extra $20 for every player you knock out. Knock out 4 and you've won your buy-in back, plus another $500 for winning. Good times. Math rules.

Carrot top is pretty funny.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Anything wrong with not scheduling a boat load of interviews before you go? It would be a waste of time to set up an interview for a position you may end up having no interest in after speaking to the current resident's or director.. you can only find out so much via the pps paragraph / blip of information available to you.

Anything wrong with not scheduling a boat load of interviews before you go? It would be a waste of time to set up an interview for a position you may end up having no interest in after speaking to the current resident's or director.. you can only find out so much via the pps paragraph / blip of information available to you.

Not scheduling interviews at PPS before midyear is a somewhat no-no for two reasons....first and most commonly...employers do not check emails or PPS messaging at Midyear so it can be very difficult to schedule an interview. Second, the program may only schedule certain blocks of time and these blocks can become full, making it difficult to interview.