Is Mid year worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This probably have been posted at some point, but I want your fresh new opinions. I am a P3 thinking of doing a residency, not really sure whether I need to go or not? or whether i should just directly contact the programs I am interested in?

How much does it cost total? It says priority to P4's

Please HELP!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO not at all worth it as a P3. If you're only applying locally, might not even be worth it as a P4 if you go to your local residency showcase. I spent 800 bucks on Midyear last year.

IMO not at all worth it as a P3. If you're only applying locally, might not even be worth it as a P4 if you go to your local residency showcase. I spent 800 bucks on Midyear last year.

Not even to see if the local residency programs are there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not even to see if the local residency programs are there?

If you have a local residency showcase where the programs will be, that's enough. If you don't have one of those, then you should go.

Also some programs (few and far between, but they exist) strongly favor candidates who go through PPS, so you also should go if you're applying to one of those programs.

I applied all over the eastern half of the US so I went. Ended up matching locally, but still don't regret that I went, in case I matched somewhere else. Also, it'll be fun since it's in Vegas.

how many did you apply to? I am not really sure if there is a limit/ cost per residency?
I appreciate your answers!!!

how many did you apply to? I am not really sure if there is a limit/ cost per residency?
I appreciate your answers!!!

I applied to 9 programs, interviewed at 4. I think 9 or 10 is a good number to apply to, as most likely you won't get invited for interviews everywhere you apply unless you're the most well-rounded person ever.

There was no cost per application last year. Now they're coming out with a common application called PhORCAS (apparently it's like PharmCAS but I wouldn't know, as I never used that) and I believe it will charge application fees. Not sure what they are but you can probably find it on google. I guess the good thing about it is that you will have to do less paperwork, but the bad thing is that your apps won't be as customizable unless there's some kind of supplemental apps involved in the process.

Also you have to consider interviewing costs. Some people spend more than $1k on interview expenses. I only spent like 300 bucks because I only flew to 1 interview and had air miles.

Thanks, I was gonna apply to 3 programs only, so now I need to look more into it!!

I ONLY want to do a residency if I can't get a job anywhere else. No nuclear, No PBM, No mail order, No staff hospital positions, No retail (except CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid...I rather die than work there.), No NOTHING.

If I am really THAT UNLUCKY and can't find a job PERIOD. Then I'll do a residency as that will be my only option left.

Should I go to mid year?

I'm not just going but looks like I'll be presenting a poster. :luck::laugh::love:

I ONLY want to do a residency if I can't get a job anywhere else. No nuclear, No PBM, No mail order, No staff hospital positions, No retail (except CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid...I rather die than work there.), No NOTHING.

If I am really THAT UNLUCKY and can't find a job PERIOD. Then I'll do a residency as that will be my only option left.

Should I go to mid year?

Do you wanna get drunk and partay with hot pharma crowd afterhours ? Otherwise, sounds like it would be a waste for you.

I thought student poster applications began on August 15th? Do you have the link?

I don't - I don't know anything yet - I just got signed onto this research project and requirement is to present a poster at midyear. I haven't looked into logistics yet since I started literally today but as long as deadlines haven't passed - I can make anything happen :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely had it rationalized out why I needed to go to midyear as a P3...in retrospect, it was not worth it at all, wished I had just saved my money.

Cost is going to vary a lot, depending on how you are getting there, hotels, etc.

Should I go to mid year?

Not exactly how it works. You apply for residencies during your P4 year, most application deadlines are the beginning of January. Interviews from there until March, and in Mid-March you find out if you matched anywhere. If you matched, you gotta take the residency or you're banished from the match process forever.

Nowadays, almost no one can find a job before they get their pharmacy license, which would happen like 1-3 months after graduation.

Not exactly how it works. You apply for residencies during your P4 year, most application deadlines are the beginning of January. Interviews from there until March, and in Mid-March you find out if you matched anywhere. If you matched, you gotta take the residency or you're banished from the match process forever.

Nowadays, almost no one can find a job before they get their pharmacy license, which would happen like 1-3 months after graduation.

I wonder how true that really is.

I'm not just going but looks like I'll be presenting a poster. :luck::laugh::love:

What kind of presentation? Did your school ask you to do this?

Do you wanna get drunk and partay with hot pharma crowd afterhours ? Otherwise, sounds like it would be a waste for you.

Sounds soooo FUN! Hmm.....maybe I should go for that! lol

SCH, you would be proud of me btw, I managed to snag a deal of a lifetime and buy a one of a kind ulta-fitted-yet-very-conservative Dolce and Gabanna suit for the conference. I'm gearing up :smuggrin:, so now must buy shoes. I already have my eyes on this pair of Tory Burch bad boys - in nude, now just patiently waiting for sale:( :smuggrin::

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Tory-...od143590152skuBLACK&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Wow that sounds so HOT! I am sure you will look great. Show me a picture of the suit! I love the color on the heels! HOT!!! :love:

Do you want to do a residency?

My last rotation at a hospital I was there with 2 residents. One was a retail pharmacist for CVS for 6 years and then applied for a residency and one graduated in 2011 and just became a resident this year.

So if I can't find a job in a year (due to sh*tty luck) then I'll do a residency.

If I can find a job then screw that! :laugh:

I was told Sept, though my DM made it clear he intended for me to get one.

Retail chains usually make offers to their interns earlier. Although this year, Kroger waited until way late in our district.

But for going out and just applying/interviewing for jobs, most places are looking for "already licensed."

What kind of presentation? Did your school ask you to do this?

Sounds soooo FUN! Hmm.....maybe I should go for that! lol

Wow that sounds so HOT! I am sure you will look great. Show me a picture of the suit! I love the color on the heels! HOT!!! :love:

Do you want to do a residency?

My last rotation at a hospital I was there with 2 residents. One was a retail pharmacist for CVS for 6 years and then applied for a residency and one graduated in 2011 and just became a resident this year.

So if I can't find a job in a year (due to sh*tty luck) then I'll do a residency.

If I can find a job then screw that! :laugh:

I mean, yeah you can do that, but you have to realize that means almost 13 months in between ending school and residency.

No. Don't go shopping for residencies. Don't be one of those annoying P3's trying to hustle at the showcase. I think ASHP banned P3's from even entering until the final hour of the session.

However, do go and drink/party on a school sanctioned field trip, haha.

No. Don't go shopping for residencies. Don't be one of those annoying P3's trying to hustle at the showcase. I think ASHP banned P3's from even entering until the final hour of the session.

Yes. The latter is why I'm going... and to get chebs drunk. :D

I mean, yeah you can do that, but you have to realize that means almost 13 months in between ending school and residency.

I know! I don't know what to do. Are you doing a residency?

Can I find a PBM job without a residency? Can I find any job without a residency?

This is so hard. I just know I don't want to do one unless I really can't find a job period. LOL.

So only P4s are allow to shop for residencies? LOL.

Yes. The latter is why I'm going... and to get chebs drunk. :D

You are willing to spend $1000 to $1500 for one night of drinking?

Can I find a PBM job without a residency? Can I find any job without a residency?

This is so hard. I just know I don't want to do one unless I really can't find a job period. LOL.

I'm being silly...no. There are other reasons to go. Not centered on drinking. Like networking dinners, for example.

I know you're being serious. I just still catch myself wondering sometimes.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure you mention this in your interviews! :smuggrin:

I need all the help I can get.:lame:

I know you're being serious. I just still catch myself wondering sometimes.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure you mention this in your interviews! :smuggrin:

I need all the help I can get.:lame:

Whats wrong with that question?

Do I need to do a managed care residency or can I get a PBM job without doing one? that's actually a great question. You don't know the answer to it, doesn't make it a bad question.

I have interviewed at Harvard to UPenn to many other schools and jobs etc. I am an interview PRO. If I wanted something thru interview I would get it period. Don't need to worry about me. :laugh:

Only thing I care about is landing the most relaxing job with the highest pay with as little work as possible. I strongly prefer no residencies, but will do one if left with no other choice.

I'm being silly...no. There are other reasons to go. Not centered on drinking. Like networking dinners, for example.

Nice. Are you doing a residency for sure then?

Nice. Are you doing a residency for sure then?

Well nothing is for sure since not everyone gets a residency :D but it is definitely on my list of things to strive for. Not sure if I'm going to take a year off my PhD to get one or if I'll wait til I finish my PhD to apply. I'm going with the flow right now, one semester at a time. My goal is to keep my gpa above 3.5 right now. That's hard enough.

Well nothing is for sure since not everyone gets a residency :D but it is definitely on my list of things to strive for. Not sure if I'm going to take a year off my PhD to get one or if I'll wait til I finish my PhD to apply. I'm going with the flow right now, one semester at a time. My goal is to keep my gpa above 3.5 right now. That's hard enough.

That's good. What are you going to do with the PhD? You want to become a professor?

That's good. What are you going to do with the PhD? You want to become a professor?

With the PhD I'm getting I'll have a lot of options. Professor, industry, government organizations, administration, international organizations, etc. some of our graduates went to drug companies, NIH, CDC, WHO, places like that.

We'll see.

With the PhD I'm getting I'll have a lot of options. Professor, industry, government organizations, administration, international organizations, etc. some of our graduates went to drug companies, NIH, CDC, WHO, places like that.

We'll see.

you're doing outcomes and policy correct? not my cup of tea but having expertise in that area gives you TONS of options. good luck.

We'll see.

I knew a PhD is required to become a professor, but is it required for industry, gov. organizations, administration, etc?

I thought a PharmD is enough for industry, NIH, CDC etc? Maybe I am wrong. :confused:

You don't want to stay in hospital then?

If I land this hospital position that I just interviewed for, then no I will not do a residency. It's a hybrid clinical/staff position that is 65% clinical. I'll just work here for a while and go for the BCPS when I'm eligible.

If I land this hospital position that I just interviewed for, then no I will not do a residency. It's a hybrid clinical/staff position that is 65% clinical. I'll just work here for a while and go for the BCPS when I'm eligible.

really? 65%? why not 60 or 70?

What is BCPS stand for?

So you didn't apply for a residency this year either? You are doing the SAME thing as me then! :laugh: You are looking for jobs NOW and if you can't find one you will apply for a residency next year! This is the best idea IMO.

What is BCPS stand for?

So you didn't apply for a residency this year either? You are doing the SAME thing as me then! :laugh: You are looking for jobs NOW and if you can't find one you will apply for a residency next year! This is the best idea IMO.

I think it's board certification although I may be wrong.

If you guys do not want to do residency, how come ? I am orgasmically in love with my rotations ( even the less exciting ones ), I think I would want to do the residency just for the idea of having 2 extra years of this amazing lifestyle. Screw the money and starting family - in my opinion, there is nothing more exciting than being in the hospital and doing clinical work. Do you guys not want that ?

If you guys do not want to do residency, how come ? I am orgasmically in love with my rotations ( even the less exciting ones ), I think I would want to do the residency just for the idea of having 2 extra years of this amazing lifestyle. Screw the money and starting family - in my opinion, there is nothing more exciting than being in the hospital and doing clinical work. Do you guys not want that ?

Well I only had 3 rotations so far. 1) PBM 2) Hospital, but I only did TPNs. I know more about TPNs now than anything else! hahahaha....3) I am now at a home infusion pharmacy. More TPNs! YAY!!! and some antibotics, milirone, vancomycin, etc.

That's my experience so far I do NOT have much hospital experience at all. So I can't speak for it. I don't have experience it in really.

I just know I HATED trying to read the doctor's sloppy handwritings in the charts!!!! EVERY hospital needs electronic charts period! PLEASE!!!! No one can read that mess! Damn.

Also I owe a lot of student debt, I kinda want to start paying that off asap. If I didn't owe anything I might be more willing to do a residency.

Secondly, my age. We are actually the SAME age! :laugh: So you feel me. If I was 20 yo I would be more willing to do a residency.

I feel at this age. I need to have a life, I need to travel, have fun, do FUN THINGS like some of my friends, etc. I do not need to be studying or stuck in a box for a few more years...I was in college for 8 years after high school while everyone else was out having fun, traveling and partying...I think it's finally time for me to start even though I am not gonna be young anymore.

Lastly, OMG. I am sooooo SICK logging onto facebook and seeing my friends going on expensive vacations, getting expensive gifts fromt their husbands, going to parties, going to fun places, HAPPY with their CUTE babies...while I am here with NO life...stuck in a box. :rolleyes:

I swear I must be the ONLY person on Facebook that doesn't have a cute baby, a good husband taking me on vacations and buying me gifts!

I use to think college is "worth" it and good and all...but now I just want to be like everyone else and start having fun.

I was actually in college for 9 years after high school! I forgot to add the 1 year at Columbia Dental school!

Damn, I am old and boring.

When will I finally have a LIFE like everyone else?

A residency takes up all your time. I really would like to have some time to myself and actually get to do something "FUN" that's a forigen word to me since I was in college my entire life making perfect grades...god what a waste. :rolleyes:

Whoah, SCH, so musch wisdom in your post. I know what you mean - feeling old and stuff and wanting to FINALLY have a life. But imagine things you could do if you specialize - you could do oncology, critical care, you can work in ER, you can do infectious disease ! Sooooo many amazing specialities - and you could be making money in the process too: looks like PGY1s pay anywhere between 30-50 k in this state. Not a lot but enough to live on and have some fun.

How come you left dental school if you don't mind me asking ?

Whoah, SCH, so musch wisdom in your post. I know what you mean - feeling old and stuff and wanting to FINALLY have a life. But imagine things you could do if you specialize - you could do oncology, critical care, you can work in ER, you can do infectious disease ! Sooooo many amazing specialities - and you could be making money in the process too: looks like PGY1s pay anywhere between 30-50 k in this state. Not a lot but enough to live on and have some fun.

How come you left dental school if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks Chebs! :) Not really wisdom just how I feel now about my life. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I spent 9 years of my life in college after high school and I always worked for the best grades...so you KNOW I really had NO life..so not sure if I want to do that for 2 more years...Maybe if I see something I really like.

I have a pediatrics rotation on block 7...so maybe I would really like that! if I do I'll do a residency in pediatrics.

Why did I drop? Well, I wanted a job that was cleaner with no blood, no physical touch of patients, etc. I am not very good with my hands. Also the tuition at Columbia alone was 45K...plus living in New York City etc. I would be almost 300K in debt when I graduate....I do not want to take on that much debt. 100K is more than enough already! :laugh: Also I don't think I want to open up my own practice (a dentist usually have to) that seems like too much work for me. haha..

What kind of residency do you want to do? Whats your favorite?

What is BCPS stand for?

I did apply. I only got one interview out of the 10 places I applied to and I didn't like the place.

Yeah I want that, but when your GPA is C+, it makes it hard to get granted an interview no matter who you know, what LORs you get, what rotations you did, projects you did, etc. Hell, my uncle is Chief of Medicine at one of the hospitals I applied for a residency at. He said the only way he could influence them was after I got an interview.

Well I might apply for a managed care residency and see if I get it or not.

So GPA is everything for residencies? If they don't count my P3 year I have a 4.0...but counting it will leave me at a 3.6 is that good enough for a managed care residency?

Well I might apply for a managed care residency and see if I get it or not.

So GPA is everything for residencies? If they don't count my P3 year I have a 4.0...but counting it will leave me at a 3.6 is that good enough for a managed care residency?

I think your lack of desire for the residency would show through during your interview and sabotage your chances...just sayin'...