Is it too late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbt81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently decided to apply to irish medical schools. I dont know why I didnt think about this earlier, my entire family lives there, i just didnt know there was such a thing as the atlantic bridge program.
Regardless, I was wondering do they have deadlines ect. when applying for entrance 2006.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike North American med schools, the Irish schools will consider late applications (I applied in April last year and was waitlisted). However, since the official deadline is November 15th, it would be in your best interest to get the materials in as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
cbt81 said:
Hi,
I just recently decided to apply to irish medical schools. I dont know why I didnt think about this earlier, my entire family lives there, i just didnt know there was such a thing as the atlantic bridge program.
Regardless, I was wondering do they have deadlines ect. when applying for entrance 2006.
thanks!
The deadline seems to be something of a moveable feast. I got all my stuff in for the November 15th deadline when I applied, but I know people who didn't even consider this until they got all their rejections from Canadian schools (at the end of June). That being said, I think that if you apply that late you only get a chance at the spaces that are left because of people turning down offers, so e.mail Atlantic Bridge ASAP and get the process started if you are serious, to get the best chance of getting in. Also, I see a lot of people stating a preference for Tritinty, but that is seriously limiting your options, and UCC is a good school (just one no one out of Ireland has heard of). It has excellent teaching standards, and Cork University Hospital is a good teaching hospital. You won't be disadvantaged by going here, and there are some advantages to not being in Dublin (like the living expenses, and Cork is small enough to walk most places, while being big enough to have decent restaurants, 3 theatres, and lots of live music and theatre as well). Good luck.

med2UCC said:
The deadline seems to be something of a moveable feast. I got all my stuff in for the November 15th deadline when I applied, but I know people who didn't even consider this until they got all their rejections from Canadian schools (at the end of June). That being said, I think that if you apply that late you only get a chance at the spaces that are left because of people turning down offers, so e.mail Atlantic Bridge ASAP and get the process started if you are serious, to get the best chance of getting in. Also, I see a lot of people stating a preference for Tritinty, but that is seriously limiting your options, and UCC is a good school (just one no one out of Ireland has heard of). It has excellent teaching standards, and Cork University Hospital is a good teaching hospital. You won't be disadvantaged by going here, and there are some advantages to not being in Dublin (like the living expenses, and Cork is small enough to walk most places, while being big enough to have decent restaurants, 3 theatres, and lots of live music and theatre as well). Good luck.

Thanks!
I actually got the application yesterday and sent it out this morning.
Thanks for the advice about UCC! I actaully know a lot about the school (I have to cousins who just started ther, non-medical). Most of my family lives in Kerry, and I have visited cork. Im glad you like it...
thanks again!
cara

I thought ABP doesn't send your application to schools until next year (January). Correct?

Arb said:
I thought ABP doesn't send your application to schools until next year (January). Correct?

APB says that your application shoudl be complete by Nov. 15. If stuff is late, its still acceptable, but you ahve to pay a fee. However, APB doesnt send everything over to Ireland until january.