Late application consequences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

After contacting the ABP with regards to whether or not my chances to be accepted into one of the Irish medical schools this fall are at risk for applying late(end of Feb 2012), and being told that I have a good chance. I was thinking realistically what are my chances to be consider for a 2nd round of offers, since many applicants have already secured their spots. I am an older applicant(30) with a well rounded application.
Any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated.
Thank you all,
Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you never really know until you are invited for an interview, my application was considered extremely late as well (Finished in late January) however I was still chosen for first round of interviews and offers.

You should definitely have a back-up option just in case and I also found that viewing the forum often helped with realizing when the rounds of interviews and offers were given out. AFAIK, no second round of interview have been handed out yet. Unfortunately, ABP has mentioned several times that handing in an application late definitely hinders one from receiving an offer, however do not lose hope until they give you a rejection.

Good luck!

I guess you never really know until you are invited for an interview, my application was considered extremely late as well (Finished in late January) however I was still chosen for first round of interviews and offers.

You should definitely have a back-up option just in case and I also found that viewing the forum often helped with realizing when the rounds of interviews and offers were given out. AFAIK, no second round of interview have been handed out yet. Unfortunately, ABP has mentioned several times that handing in an application late definitely hinders one from receiving an offer, however do not lose hope until they give you a rejection.

Good luck!
Thanks S0B, I will defiantly keep my options open for next year. It is so lame as ABP told me that I wont have any problem. I guess they are a business and as such more applications equal higher profit.
Well, hopefully I will get some good news down the long road.
All the best to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks S0B, I will defiantly keep my options open for next year. It is so lame as ABP told me that I wont have any problem. I guess they are a business and as such more applications equal higher profit.
Well, hopefully I will get some good news down the long road.
All the best to you

There are a few people in my class, myself included who finished their app at the end of February and successfully got in during the 2nd/3rd wave. Keep in mind, that not all the schools require interviews.

There are a few people in my class, myself included who finished their app at the end of February and successfully got in during the 2nd/3rd wave. Keep in mind, that not all the schools require interviews.
Thanks Lbgem, There is still hope!
good luck with your studies.

Thanks Lbgem, There is still hope!
good luck with your studies.

haha thanks, massively cramming for anatomy right now after our brutal micro test yesterday.

gl with your apps

haha thanks, massively cramming for anatomy right now after our brutal micro test yesterday.

gl with your apps

Do you mind sharing what you cover in your anatomy class? I am currnetly taking an anatomy course for my undergrad and was wondering how helpful it would be

Do you mind sharing what you cover in your anatomy class? I am currnetly taking an anatomy course for my undergrad and was wondering how helpful it would be

Some people say undergrad anat doesn't help at all, others say they had np with med anat because of it. I really do think it definitely helps you. Especially in the beginning since you've heard a lot of the terms before. That's not to say you can't do well without it, but you're definitely going to have to work that much harder compared to people that have done it before.

First semester (UCD): Upper (scapula, pec major/minor, the bazillion hand muscles, neurovasculature, etc), lower limbs, second: cardioresp.

Ahh thanks! We actually are not covering the intrinsic muslces of the hand. And I'm guessing you guys have bell ringers and such as well? I have those right now and they are so terrifying

Ahh thanks! We actually are not covering the intrinsic muslces of the hand. And I'm guessing you guys have bell ringers and such as well? I have those right now and they are so terrifying

Bell ringers?

Where you have pinned specimen and you have a certain amount of time to name the labelled structure, and you hope over station to station?

Where you have pinned specimen and you have a certain amount of time to name the labelled structure, and you hope over station to station?

aha ya, they're called spotter exams over here, hadn't heard that particular term before. have one tomorrow morning in fact :p. They did a trial thing last semester without one - not sure they'll keep it that way for 1st semester of 1st year. But yes we have them.

aha ya, they're called spotter exams over here, hadn't heard that particular term before. have one tomorrow morning in fact :p. They did a trial thing last semester without one - not sure they'll keep it that way for 1st semester of 1st year. But yes we have them.

so what courses do you do first year? microbio, anatomy, etc..?

Also, what do you mean "they did a trial thing last semester without one"? Does that mean they didnt have practicals and the only thing tested was theory?

Also how many students fail courses? A very small number or a substantial minority? Do people ever get dismissed for poor academics?

so what courses do you do first year? microbio, anatomy, etc..?

Also, what do you mean "they did a trial thing last semester without one"? Does that mean they didnt have practicals and the only thing tested was theory?

Also how many students fail courses? A very small number or a substantial minority? Do people ever get dismissed for poor academics?

After the midterm (also called continuous assessment over here) yesterday I could see why they're also known as bellringers.

Lots of questions I see :p.

We had to write up lab reports/experiences instead of having a spotter exam last semester. Giles (very very good anatomy prof) wanted to see if that would help us more than having a spotter exam. I'm not sure if they're keeping it that way or what. Of course we had practicals. And yes, I feel like anatomy without a spotter exam is a little weird. They favor essays over here, so one of the questions for example was discuss the lumbrical muscles in the hand iirc. You still have to know the location of everything (my least favorites are nerves vs veins vs arteries), cause you can get an MCQ that has 5 options with pick the false statement, and one option will be X nerve is inferior to X vein or something like that. Or more medial/lateral/etc.

We were told people don't fail/leave for academic reasons - it's almost always personal. I was also told by last year's class everyone passed. Take that with a grain of salt. It's unheard of to fail out - I'm completely guessing there might be a couple people that may need to retake an exam or two, but nothing major. I'm also probably not the best person to ask about it as I don't monitor everyone's attendance in what not :p, I tend not to go to class.

Keep in mind the grading scale is different here, an A is 70%+ (and they have E's here, in between D/F :p). You can check on the UCD website there's the scale there somewhere. I think an E is 30%? and that's considering conditional pass - conditional in the sense your other classes must make up for this grade, so need a certain GPA to have E consider a pass. Just by itself D is passing. Before you rejoice, let me again point out most tests are essay. I feel like the MCQs are basically grade boosters here, because they can't nitpick you or mark you off for not being mindreaders on what they want you to say. Or having to make posters (for one class) and then class average was a C- or D? (can't remember which) because that's what the graders 'felt' like you deserved. Some people like the essays here (they tend to be Irish) because it gives you wiggle room and you can spew out all the stuff you do know rather than having a right or wrong answer like an MCQ. If you notice class averages are higher though for MCQs, and lower for essays, but my *impression* is you're less likely to fail an essay than an MCQ because they want to help you pass.

Anyways, I could go on forever about how much I dislike the way the grading is done here because it does seem so subjective, but it is possible to get an A. Very very unlikely though for the reasons mentioned above.

Something I didn't realize late into the semester - grades don't matter first two years! That is, it doesn't count towards your class rank at all. Last two years yes. First two years no. Just pass. Maybe grades will make a difference first two years if you're applying to a research position somewhere and they ask you what your grades are, so do your best, but don't sweat the rest. No one gets straight A's over here, not even the super Hermione-like overachievers. That's just the way the system is set up.

This is completely geared towards UCD btw, not sure which school you're headed to. I can't speak for the others.

Edit: First year - general subjects: patient centred practice, molecular basis of life and disease (immuno, biochem, genetics, cancer, inflammation), anatomy (upper and lower limb), elective (highly recommend social history of irish healthcare. First year - second semester: anatomy (cardioresp), cardioresp pharmacology, microbio, cardioresp physiology, public health, cardioresp path

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the info! Haha yeah there is a bell, hence the bell ringer. All the courses sound interesting..but I can't imagine having anatomy essay type questions, you would really have to know it inside out as opposed to guessing an MC if you have no clue

Wow thanks for all the info! Haha yeah there is a bell, hence the bell ringer. All the courses sound interesting..but I can't imagine having anatomy essay type questions, you would really have to know it inside out as opposed to guessing an MC if you have no clue

Yup, that's why I prefer MCQ. And sometimes, even when you think you've written everything known to man about it complete with da Vinci artist renditions, you won't get an A+. Some profs feel A's are reserved for the people that teach them things they didn't know about the subject, or have Ph.D level knowledge on it. Again, not all profs, but enough to drive me crazy with the essays. I've stopped worrying about it at this point. Funny thing is my grades are higher now and I've put less time into the classes - gotten more efficient.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. I am free as a bird for a little while til finals roll around.

Also, I'll be in Dublin before classes start in the fall, so if you (or anyone else headed to UCD) wants to meet up/get the skinny on stuff, just let me know. You'll get mentors assigned to you first week of orientation (btw, school orientation starts on Monday, but our program's orientation didn't start until Wednesday. Not sure if that holds true for this year, so you might want to check up on that when you book your flight if you want to spend more time with loved ones).

Yup, that's why I prefer MCQ. And sometimes, even when you think you've written everything known to man about it complete with da Vinci artist renditions, you won't get an A+. Some profs feel A's are reserved for the people that teach them things they didn't know about the subject, or have Ph.D level knowledge on it. Again, not all profs, but enough to drive me crazy with the essays. I've stopped worrying about it at this point. Funny thing is my grades are higher now and I've put less time into the classes - gotten more efficient.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. I am free as a bird for a little while til finals roll around.

Also, I'll be in Dublin before classes start in the fall, so if you (or anyone else headed to UCD) wants to meet up/get the skinny on stuff, just let me know. You'll get mentors assigned to you first week of orientation (btw, school orientation starts on Monday, but our program's orientation didn't start until Wednesday. Not sure if that holds true for this year, so you might want to check up on that when you book your flight if you want to spend more time with loved ones).

thanks for all the helpful info. Now I just want an acceptance letter in the mail haha.