is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
i wanted to know if its possible to match into radiology with borderline passing step 1 scores? and avg grades overall.
would this be possible in NY

Members don't see this ad.

I'll say its possible, but you're gonna have to bust your butt to really improve the rest of your application.

rock step 2 (I mean rock it!), get involved in research, do some aways.

Will have to apply broadly (outside the tri-state area) to a lot of programs.

I think NY is one of the most competitive areas for radiology to match.

wherer is the easiest program to get into in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten in myself!

dunno. I dont think its about finding an "Easy place to get in".

I dont see radiology being like that. If such a place existed I could see many people applying there as a backup of sorts.

I think its more about making a good impression and working hard from here on out

Community programs in red states are easier I think.

I applied to most of the 'less popular' community programs in the midwest, south, and northeast with a Step 1/2 of 204/220 and I did not match. I was a senior US allopathic applicant.

Westsidespartan-

How was the rest of your application? Clinical grades, research, extracurriculars, LORs? Did you receive any interviews?

How many programs did you apply to? Sorry to hear that...keep trying!

The rest of my application consisted of clinical grades of satisfactory (pass) on most clerkships, honors in radiology and ob/gyn. I had letters from radiology, medicine, and family medicine. No pubs/research. I received 9 radiology interviews and 7 transitional (went to 4) interviews. Did an away rotation at a small community program in my hometown that did not fill last year. Still no match, but I am happy with my TY.

Just wait a year or two, radiology will fall in popularity and you will get in.

westsidespartan said:
The rest of my application consisted of clinical grades of satisfactory (pass) on most clerkships, honors in radiology and ob/gyn. I had letters from radiology, medicine, and family medicine. No pubs/research. I received 9 radiology interviews and 6 transitional (went to 5) interviews. Did an away rotation at a small community program in my hometown that did not fill last year. Still no match, but I am happy with my TY.

Whats the plan for next year? Just asking to see what options there are, incase i end up in a similar situation. Not trying to pry.

MD Dreams said:
What's happening in a year or two?

It's already happening. Three years ago the match spiked at ~1500 applicants and cont. to drop to the ~1270 this past match. Did you see that there was only 1 open surgery spot this year BEFORE the scramble. It seems to me that people are self-selecting b/c rads is 'competitive'.

Chair of the dept at a school told one applicant that he had no shot of any program and the app. ended up matching at the chairs program. - poetic justice eh?

MD Dreams said:
What's happening in a year or two?

Severe medicare reimbursement cuts are going into effect - and this is only one factor.

Docmike2006 said:
Severe medicare reimbursement cuts are going into effect - and this is only one factor.

Reimbursement cuts -- and an increasing workload, as well as turf wars. Radiology is no longer a cake walk.

Sure there are reimbursement cuts, but which specialty has not experienced this? It happened to pathology 15-20 years ago, it has also happened to the surgeons. Furthermore everyone in trying to get into the imaging game will also take a hit (Neuros, orthos, cardiologists).

Increasing workload - that means you'll continue to be in demand in the forseeable future.

Turf wars - there always have been turfwars, always will be. There is plenty of cardiac disease to go around when CTA of the coronaries goes prime time. As far as IR turf wars go, the newer procedures (which tend to come to IR first) tend to reimburse better than older procedures like vascular stenting (which has already seen a pay cut).

It's still the best field out there IMVBO (In my very biased opinion). Newest tech, diverse pathology, having a pivotal role in diagnosis, and having a role in treatment (with IR). No other field offers the flexibility in locale (you can do telerads from anywhere in the world).

Think about the pertinent negatives: much less paperwork BS, no social work BS, no clinic (unless you do IR). I can't think of any other field I would rather do!
:D