Is it possible for a Radiologist to practice as a pcp on the side(after work business/probono etc)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tman507

Reaction score
I was just wondering since i have a strong interest in Radiology, whether it is possible, and since Radiologists are knowledgeable on most fields whether they retain knowledge to work safely as a pcp as well

Members don't see this ad.

Doubt you will get any love on this post.

Why do you think you'd be able to manage patients with multiple chronic illnesses when you never have been trained too?

I'm just a med student, but this seems like a somewhat self explanatory thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doubt you will get any love on this post.

Why do you think you'd be able to manage patients with multiple chronic illnesses when you never have been trained too?

I'm just a med student, but this seems like a somewhat self explanatory thing.
Agreed, was just wondering if a radiologist were to notice someone get a siezure in public, or collapsed would he be able to intervene and check the guy out, or would he only be a bystander etc?
Thanks for the input

Reactions: 1 user
You will have some difficulty with insurance companies.

Other than that if an NP can work as a PCP, a radiologist should be able to. Renewing your medication knowledge is not that hard.

But the question is why you want to do that?

Reactions: 3 users
You will have some difficulty with insurance companies.

Other than that if an NP can work as a PCP, a radiologist should be able to. Renewing your medication knowledge is not that hard.

But the question is why you want to do that?
Its not that I'd want to do that precisely. I had a few ideas:
*-could a radiologist open a practise as a "pcp/radiologist"(do consults) and order and read his own imaging(with the pretence that he has access to equipment) to selected patients? (this was what i was actually asking, should've been the thread question)....even if not working solo, like a radiology group could do this to ultimately take control of their patients and even give work for IR
Also
-In a public incident(a fall, patient collapse, siezure etc) should a radiologist rather be a bystander?

*-could a radiologist open a practise as a "pcp/radiologist"(do consults) and order and read his own imaging(with the pretence that he has access to equipment) to selected patients? (this was what i was actually asking, should've been the thread question)....even if not working solo, like a radiology group could do this to ultimately take control of their patients and even give work for IR
Also
-In a public incident(a fall, patient collapse, siezure etc) should a radiologist rather be a bystander?
Why would you think you can do a job you are not trained for?

Do you think an internist could moonlight as a radiologist?

Also

There are several specialties that read their own imaging generally speaking. For example I know a lot of sports med people who read their own images, same goes for many surgeons. I’ve seen them look at the official radiology reports afterwards but for the most part they come up with a treatment plan based on what they read.

As a pcp, no I definitely don’t think a radiologist has the training to manage as one. I don’t order imaging that often, so the bulk of my work really doesn’t have much to do with radiology. Why do think being a pcp is easy or you don’t have to be intelligent?

There are several specialties that read their own imaging generally speaking. For example I know a lot of sports med people who read their own images, same goes for many surgeons. I’ve seen them look at the official radiology reports afterwards but for the most part they come up with a treatment plan based on what they read.

As a pcp, no I definitely don’t think a radiologist has the training to manage as one. I don’t order imaging that often, so the bulk of my work really doesn’t have much to do with radiology. Why do think being a pcp is easy or you don’t have to be intelligent?
I know being a pcp is not easy I have lots of respect for the profession

Yes I have noted that most surgeons try to figure out what's happening on imaging and then confirm/guide their dx by reading the radiologist report

my question was just something I've thought about and wanted some insight

Thank you for your input

Can a radiologist work as a PCP as in have their own office and manage simple chronic disease? Technically yes (as any physician with a full state license could) but practically this would never work for a large number of reasons, some of which mentioned above. If one were so inclined, a radiologist could help out at a volunteer health clinic or serve on medical committees. However, again, most radiologists probably would not be interested (unless there was some POCUS action haha).

In terms of helping a member of the public during a medical emergency, I feel that most radiologists that could definitely help out. As you may (or will soon clearly know), there are very limited interventions that can be done in the pre-hospital setting. Provided the radiologist is BLS or ACLS certified (which most have to be to practice in a hospital environment), there are simple things that can be done, even if just chest compressions or keeping an airway open with a jaw thrust, which could be life-saving.

About forgetting medications - There are key medications you learn in med school and use on almost a daily basis during internship that will never go away. Radiologists also respond to contrast reactions which in the outpatient office setting, all you got is a crash cart and a reaction kit, which contain code-type and other common medications (albuterol, lasix etc.). You definitely won't be able to prescribe and manage chemotherapy or DMARDs for example.

Perhaps my answer is slightly atypical. I am a more outgoing radiology resident going into IR (but i really enjoy diagnostics as well). If my techs or nurses call me for anything I am there right away.

TL;DR there is a stereotype of radiologists that we sit in dark rooms and are not able to practice"clinical" medicine. While we do sit in dark rooms at times, I have had more patient contact in residency then I ever thought I would...and I actually enjoy it. I never realized how clinical radiology truly is through image interpretation and as a consult service to the hospital.

Reactions: 2 users
Can a radiologist work as a PCP as in have their own office and manage simple chronic disease? Technically yes (as any physician with a full state license could) but practically this would never work for a large number of reasons, some of which mentioned above. If one were so inclined, a radiologist could help out at a volunteer health clinic or serve on medical committees. However, again, most radiologists probably would not be interested (unless there was some POCUS action haha).

In terms of helping a member of the public during a medical emergency, I feel that most radiologists that could definitely help out. As you may (or will soon clearly know), there are very limited interventions that can be done in the pre-hospital setting. Provided the radiologist is BLS or ACLS certified (which most have to be to practice in a hospital environment), there are simple things that can be done, even if just chest compressions or keeping an airway open with a jaw thrust, which could be life-saving.

About forgetting medications - There are key medications you learn in med school and use on almost a daily basis during internship that will never go away. Radiologists also respond to contrast reactions which in the outpatient office setting, all you got is a crash cart and a reaction kit, which contain code-type and other common medications (albuterol, lasix etc.). You definitely won't be able to prescribe and manage chemotherapy or DMARDs for example.

Perhaps my answer is slightly atypical. I am a more outgoing radiology resident going into IR (but i really enjoy diagnostics as well). If my techs or nurses call me for anything I am there right away.

TL;DR there is a stereotype of radiologists that we sit in dark rooms and are not able to practice"clinical" medicine. While we do sit in dark rooms at times, I have had more patient contact in residency then I ever thought I would...and I actually enjoy it. I never realized how clinical radiology truly is through image interpretation and as a consult service to the hospital.
-I'm a very outgoing person as well, I would like to have some patient contact and was very concerning, so I'm happy to hear that besides IR, there is some form of contact in DR as well.
-Yes i was thinking about your basic medication list.

Thank you for your comprehensive response, much appreciated