Is it still possible to do a Nuclear Medicine residency on its own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shezadeh

E.I.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I first started browsing this forum (long, long ago), Nuclear Medicine was dying out as an independent specialty. Is it still possible to match into Nuclear Medicine and not Radiology+Nuclear Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

In the Match this year (2021), there was a single PGY-2 position offered in nuclear medicine, which one DO student and no MD students ranked. The program did not fill that position.

In the Match this year (2021), there was a single PGY-2 position offered in nuclear medicine, which one DO student and no MD students ranked. The program did not fill that position.
which program was this? looking for an opening...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not recommend it. Take the extra year and get dual certification.
You mean Radiology and Nucs dual certification? I imagine that's what you mean. I doubt OP is a radiology resident.

You mean Radiology and Nucs dual certification? I imagine that's what you mean. I doubt OP is a radiology bunny.
Yeah. Most residencies already there or heading that way. Adds an extra year on training over traditional Nucs but infinitely more employable.

Where can one view this information? Sorry, still trying to learn how this works

Where can one view this information? Sorry, still trying to learn how this works
^ The tables on this PDF show that there is one program that's Nuclear Medicine only residency.

^ The tables on this PDF show that the program is in Oklahoma.

^ Seems like the program is University of Oklahoma.

^ The tables on this PDF show that there is one program that's Nuclear Medicine only residency.

Emory has a program.

Again seems dumb at this point unless you plan to use the NM residency to get into DR.

Emory has a program.

Again seems dumb at this point unless you plan to use the NM residency to get into DR.
It’s a way into radiology for FMGs or IMGs who are ok doing two residencies to practice in the US. I’ve met a few.

It’s a way into radiology for FMGs or IMGs who are ok doing two residencies to practice in the US. I’ve met a few.
Agree.

However, what if you shut down the NM residency and just gave those slots to DR?

I personally think it’s cruel. Introducing these people to an awesome field (biased nuc rad here), but then don’t give them a viable path to a job at the end.

That was the exact reason. Some FMGs/IMGs would rather match in something rather than be unmatched completely.

Interesting, there used to be many more.

I heard we should do a prelim before getting into nuclear medicine. Is that true? But some programs show they have 1 2 and 3 year resident. so confuse. who knows the answer.

I heard we should do a prelim before getting into nuclear medicine. Is that true? But some programs show they have 1 2 and 3 year resident. so confuse. who knows the answer.

From the Rush website:

Three nuclear medicine residency pathways are available.
  • Three-year: Requires at least one year of training in fundamental clinical education in a program accredited by ACGME or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or equivalent
  • Two-year: Requires completion of an accredited patient care specialty residency
  • One-year: Requires completion of an accredited program in diagnostic radiology

If you have no prior US training, then you need to do a prelim year and then a 3-year nuc med residency. If you have completed a prior US/ACGME clinical specialty (e.g. internal medicine or family medicine), you can do a 2-year nuc med residency. If you completed a US/ACGME radiology residency, you only need to do 1 year of nuc med.

The higher bang for your buck if you have prior radiology training in your home country is to do the ABR alternate pathway as maxxor said.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From the Rush website:

If you have no prior US training, then you need to do a prelim year and then a 3-year nuc med residency. If you have completed a prior US/ACGME clinical specialty (e.g. internal medicine or family medicine), you can do a 2-year nuc med residency. If you completed a US/ACGME radiology residency, you only need to do 1 year of nuc med.

The higher bang for your buck if you have prior radiology training in your home country is to do the ABR alternate pathway as maxxor said.
Thanks. That is what I want to know!! awesome!

If you are DR in your own country, doing the 4 fellowship pathway is a better route than doing a dead-end NM residency.
Thanks. My point is doing the nuclear medicine to boost my image writing skill, from that, I can hop up to fellow after 2 years.

Thanks. My point is doing the nuclear medicine to boost my image writing skill, from that, I can hop up to fellow after 2 years.

I still think you run a serious risk of wasting years of visa eligibility on a dead-end career path and would be better off doing radiology fellowships.

I'm ABNM/ABR certified. I love the field. I think all NM-only residencies should be shut down and converted to radiology fellowships. These programs are doing their trainees a tremendous disservice.

I still think you run a serious risk of wasting years of visa eligibility on a dead-end career path and would be better off doing radiology fellowships.

I'm ABNM/ABR certified. I love the field. I think all NM-only residencies should be shut down and converted to radiology fellowships. These programs are doing their trainees a tremendous disservice.
Thank you so much. Do you know how to get ARB certified? I am confused right now. I want to jump into fellowship but also worry about my capability for writing report in English.