Is it possible to study for the DAT while working and taking classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okiedokeartichoke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First thread :)

I have Human Anatomy & Physio II lecture and lab, biochemistry, and possibly one more biology course to look forward to next semester (7 or possibly 11 credits of science). I have strategically planned my schedule so that all my courses fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Of the remaining days of the week --MWF--I will be working part-time (15-20 hours/week). Weekends are open. I figure the courses I'll be taking will coincide with the material needed to learn for the biology section of the DAT anyways. My main concern is when the projected date for the DAT should be given my somewhat busy schedule. Is there anyone out there who has been through a similar situation and would like to shed some light about what's best (or just anyone who can offer sound advice)? My spring break is during the middle of March so there's one potential week I could schedule it for; however, I could also take it in May once finals are over. Otherwise, I could just take it whenever depending on what seems to be best based on the class syllabi. I was hoping to take it sometime in March/April in case I need to retake in June/July and still be considered early. How many months do you think I should set aside? Is this feasible?

Just to give some background about me to help formulate a better opinion: I plan on applying during the next cycle, June 2016. I've already graduated from College A earlier this year, so I'm taking courses at College B to fulfill more prerequisites and raise my sGPA. I have no other responsibilities (i.e. raising a family) besides taking classes, working, and studying for the DAT. I don't plan on volunteering or upholding any club leadership positions since I already have plenty EC experience under my belt from undergrad. Now, the catch is ... I can't settle for anything less than A's for this upcoming semester because of my less than stellar GPA from undergrad. That also means I can't settle for anything less than a DAT score under 21. Thus, I have to do extremely well with both. During the fall semester, I took A&P I + Lab while working and I was able to do very well in both courses even with cramming/studying the night before. Now that I've experienced what classes are like here, it seems that the rigor of College B doesn't compare to the rigor of College A, especially in the sciences, so I don't seem too worried about the spring semester course load (hopefully this statement doesn't come back to bite me in the arse... *knocks on wood*). As for my study habits, I am a habitual procrastinator and crammer, but I'm trying to fix that in 2K16 and I'm driven to succeed. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading this ridiculously long post for such a simple question.

P.S. I already have Cliff's and Destroyer. Will get Chad's and Bootcamp eventually.

TLDR; Low GPA'er here fresh out from undergrad hoping to raise sGPA/oGPA and achieve the best DAT score I can. How many months should I study for the DAT while simultaneously taking 7 or possibly 11 credits (3-5 classes) of only science courses and working part-time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you score low on the DAT you always have the option of a retake. But a low GPA is something that can not be undone. I would focus on your classes and maintaining as high a gpa as possible. The biggest mistake students make is rush to take the DAT when not prepared and the results not positive. The DAT is very challenging and a test you do not want to take more than once.

Just my 2 cents..

Nancy

Reactions: 3 users
I would say that you should purchase a PAT software and start practicing now bc Pat is more about practice than it is about learning then start studying for your DAT right after classes in May. The other sections are about memorization so they can be accomplished in 6-8 weeks but you'll find it valuable to practice a little of PAT over a long period of time rather than trying to hone your perceptual ability skills in a month although that depends on how naturally it comes for you

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that you should purchase a PAT software and start practicing now bc Pat is more about practice than it is about learning then start studying for your DAT right after classes in May. The other sections are about memorization so they can be accomplished in 6-8 weeks but you'll find it valuable to practice a little of PAT over a long period of time rather than trying to hone your perceptual ability skills in a month although that depends on how naturally it comes for you

Right! I've read so many breakdowns and PAT is definitely something to be practiced over a long period of time to build up the skills needed. So you don't think it's do-able to study for the DAT while I take classes simultaneously? I just don't want to take the DAT past June in case I have to do a retake and push my mail out date any further than necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you score low on the DAT you always have the option of a retake. But a low GPA is something that can not be undone. I would focus on your classes and maintaining as high a gpa as possible. The biggest mistake students make is rush to take the DAT when not prepared and the results not positive. The DAT is very challenging and a test you do not want to take more than once.

Just my 2 cents..

Nancy

Oh yes, I definitely would not like to go through the misery of studying for the beast twice. No thank you.

Hi everyone! First thread :)

I have Human Anatomy & Physio II lecture and lab, biochemistry, and possibly one more biology course to look forward to next semester (7 or possibly 11 credits of science). I have strategically planned my schedule so that all my courses fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Of the remaining days of the week --MWF--I will be working part-time (15-20 hours/week). Weekends are open. I figure the courses I'll be taking will coincide with the material needed to learn for the biology section of the DAT anyways. My main concern is when the projected date for the DAT should be given my somewhat busy schedule. Is there anyone out there who has been through a similar situation and would like to shed some light about what's best (or just anyone who can offer sound advice)? My spring break is during the middle of March so there's one potential week I could schedule it for; however, I could also take it in May once finals are over. Otherwise, I could just take it whenever depending on what seems to be best based on the class syllabi. I was hoping to take it sometime in March/April in case I need to retake in June/July and still be considered early. How many months do you think I should set aside? Is this feasible?

Just to give some background about me to help formulate a better opinion: I plan on applying during the next cycle, June 2016. I've already graduated from College A earlier this year, so I'm taking courses at College B to fulfill more prerequisites and raise my sGPA. I have no other responsibilities (i.e. raising a family) besides taking classes, working, and studying for the DAT. I don't plan on volunteering or upholding any club leadership positions since I already have plenty EC experience under my belt from undergrad. Now, the catch is ... I can't settle for anything less than A's for this upcoming semester because of my less than stellar GPA from undergrad. That also means I can't settle for anything less than a DAT score under 21. Thus, I have to do extremely well with both. During the fall semester, I took A&P I + Lab while working and I was able to do very well in both courses even with cramming/studying the night before. Now that I've experienced what classes are like here, it seems that the rigor of College B doesn't compare to the rigor of College A, especially in the sciences, so I don't seem too worried about the spring semester course load (hopefully this statement doesn't come back to bite me in the arse... *knocks on wood*). As for my study habits, I am a habitual procrastinator and crammer, but I'm trying to fix that in 2K16 and I'm driven to succeed. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading this ridiculously long post for such a simple question.

P.S. I already have Cliff's and Destroyer. Will get Chad's and Bootcamp eventually.

TLDR; Low GPA'er here fresh out from undergrad hoping to raise sGPA/oGPA and achieve the best DAT score I can. How many months should I study for the DAT while simultaneously taking 7 or possibly 11 credits (3-5 classes) of only science courses and working part-time?

I personally worked while studying for the DAT and I felt like that alone was much; I couldn't imagine studying for classes, working, and studying for the DAT but I know it's definitely possible. Seeing as you need the grades to help account for the GPA I would definitely make that a priority. If you start doing PAT now and designate an hour for that a day, you'll be more than set going forward. I can give you more details about my specific study schedule if you'd like via PM but just keep working hard and it will all work out with your mindset. Best of luck!

I personally worked while studying for the DAT and I felt like that alone was much; I couldn't imagine studying for classes, working, and studying for the DAT but I know it's definitely possible. Seeing as you need the grades to help account for the GPA I would definitely make that a priority. If you start doing PAT now and designate an hour for that a day, you'll be more than set going forward. I can give you more details about my specific study schedule if you'd like via PM but just keep working hard and it will all work out with your mindset. Best of luck!

Thanks. PM coming your way :)

I also personally studied for the DAT and got a 24 AA while working 60 hrs a week. It took me a very long time bc I could never study more than a few hrs a day which is why I would advice you do it once classes are done but I think it's possible for sure. PM me as well if you have any questions

I also personally studied for the DAT and got a 24 AA while working 60 hrs a week. It took me a very long time bc I could never study more than a few hrs a day which is why I would advice you do it once classes are done but I think it's possible for sure. PM me as well if you have any questions

Hey!

I am hoping to take the DAT, while also working (probably 45 hrs/week). Just curious, how long before your test date did you start studying, given your heavy work schedule? It's a little discouraging seeing all these breakdowns where people studied 24/7 for an entire summer. Unfortunately, that isn't really an option for me this year.

Thanks! And awesome scores, I've always had so much respect for those who have balanced academics with work, family etc (I'm not quite at your level, but I would love to be ;)).

Hey!

I am hoping to take the DAT, while also working (probably 45 hrs/week). Just curious, how long before your test date did you start studying, given your heavy work schedule? It's a little discouraging seeing all these breakdowns where people studied 24/7 for an entire summer. Unfortunately, that isn't really an option for me this year.

Thanks! And awesome scores, I've always had so much respect for those who have balanced academics with work, family etc (I'm not quite at your level, but I would love to be ;)).

I started studying 5ish months before my test and ended up having to move my "proposed" test date (I hadn't actually signed up yet) back several times until I felt ready bc I only wanted to take it once.
To be fair, I had a few hours everyday that I managed to study while at work and that helped a lot because I was so exhausted when I got home at night and had to tackle an hour of PAT or whatever.

You'll be miserable but I can't stress how important it is to take breaks and go out every other weekend if you can. Towards the end , I swear I had like 2 mental breakdowns

Hi, OP here. Just to give an update 4 months later:

My semester is coming to a close. I didn't end up studying for the DAT simultaneously while taking 4 science classes on top of working and commuting. I know myself as a person, and I realized that juggling all of these things, on top of family and home responsibilities, was too much to bear. So, I've decided to instead study for the DAT right after finals and schedule it for either end of June/early-mid July. It's not ideal, but it's what I need to do. My application won't be officially mailed out anyways until August because my Committee sends out letters no earlier than the first week of August, so ... I guess I can give myself more time to study.

However, now it's just a question of whether I should study in a short span of time (7 weeks) or lengthen it out to 8-10 weeks. I don't want to be miserable for too long and let the anticipation irk me when I feel ready even before D-day, but I also see how an extra 3 weeks would be beneficial and I could pace myself better. But, I'm also the type of person who works well under pressure, so I'm not sure what to do :shrug:It's been 3 years since I've taken orgo/GC, and 4-5 years since Bio 1 & 2, but I've been taking all upper bio classes this semester, so I've been in bio-mode. Anyone have any suggestions?

My semester is coming to a close. I didn't end up studying for the DAT simultaneously while taking 4 science classes on top of working and commuting. I know myself as a person, and I realized that juggling all of these things, on top of family and home responsibilities, was too much to bear. So, I've decided to instead study for the DAT right after finals and schedule it for either end of June/early-mid July. It's not ideal, but it's what I need to do. My application won't be officially mailed out anyways until August because my Committee sends out letters no earlier than the first week of August, so ... I guess I can give myself more time to study.

However, now it's just a question of whether I should study in a short span of time (7 weeks) or lengthen it out to 8-10 weeks. I don't want to be miserable for too long and let the anticipation irk me when I feel ready even before D-day, but I also see how an extra 3 weeks would be beneficial and I could pace myself better. But, I'm also the type of person who works well under pressure, so I'm not sure what to do :shrug:It's been 3 years since I've taken orgo/GC, and 4-5 years since Bio 1 & 2, but I've been taking all upper bio classes this semester, so I've been in bio-mode. Anyone have any suggestions?

it honestly depends on what you want on your DAT. If you want good score, you will need more time.

I started studying 5ish months before my test and ended up having to move my "proposed" test date (I hadn't actually signed up yet) back several times until I felt ready bc I only wanted to take it once.
To be fair, I had a few hours everyday that I managed to study while at work and that helped a lot because I was so exhausted when I got home at night and had to tackle an hour of PAT or whatever.

You'll be miserable but I can't stress how important it is to take breaks and go out every other weekend if you can. Towards the end , I swear I had like 2 mental breakdowns

u only had 2 mental breakdowns? i get mental breakdowns every time i open dat destroyer

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in a similar boat as you. Will you be working in the summer?

it honestly depends on what you want on your DAT. If you want good score, you will need more time.

I guess this seems to be the consensus. I just hate delaying :(

If you can take 10 weeks from the end of finals to your DAT test date (May 7th to July 16th would work, you could adjust as needed), I couldn't recommend this more. If you follow it to the T you will do well.

http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf

Yeah, I've taken a look at Ari's schedule and may utilize it. Gives a good baseline of how much I should expect myself to do each day. Is that what you did yourself?

I will, yes! I only work part-time, but I have co-workers who plan to vacation during the summer. I'm the fill-in and will be trained to uphold more work responsibilities, so I'm expecting to work more than I normally do, unfortunately. But, at least I'll make more money to save up for applications and other fees involved in this process. Will you be working?

Yes, it is what I did myself. I did every single last thing it told me to do no matter how long it took. I worked M-F 9-5, and did the day's studying until anywhere from 10:30-12:30 (I usually finished up around 11:30 or so). Exercise in the mornings. Saturdays and Sundays I studied way longer in order to make sure I was getting everything. Only time for socialization/relaxing is 9pm and later on Saturday night.

Props to you for working full-time and incorporating DAT studying and exercise daily. Feeling motivated and a glimmer of hope, thanks!

You can do it. All it takes is work. I'm not smarter than your average bear. There are no secrets. Feel free to reach out if you need any specific advice!

Sounds great! I plan to PM you sometime in the near future when I catch more downtime. Be on the lookout, scumbag :D

Yes, it is what I did myself. I did every single last thing it told me to do no matter how long it took. I worked M-F 9-5, and did the day's studying until anywhere from 10:30-12:30 (I usually finished up around 11:30 or so). Exercise in the mornings. Saturdays and Sundays I studied way longer in order to make sure I was getting everything. Only time for socialization/relaxing is 9pm and later on Saturday night.
Hats off to you man, I know the schedule is already challenging, but doing it while working full-time takes serious dedication. Congratulations!

I'm number 3 studying only for the dat this summer. While working Full time and having 2 kids. I plan on keeping my children enrolled in daycare everyday while I study.

I hate to keep them in daycare when I could be watching them, don't forget how expensive it is... But I have no choice but to do well on the DAT. I already signed up for everything, bought all the books, and finishing up classes for this semester. I'm also applying to schools in June.

We got this!

Reactions: 2 users
I worked full time as well while studying for the DAT. Looking back, it would've been more time efficient to just solely study for the exam in a few weeks and take it on a summer break. But things didn't work out that way and I needed to have a job. It's definitely doable though.

If you take several months to study for DAT without working or taking any classes count against you since you had plenty of time to study for DAT? Let's say a full time student with part time work gets 21AA vs a guy who didn't work or took any classes and had plenty of time to study got 23AA. Will the school prefer the former guy because of his conditions?