Is it possible to study for both the dat and mcat at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspremed2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Recently purchased dat Bootcamp and was wondering if the bio, gen chem and o chem is the same for the mcat. I know that both exams have differences as far as pat, physics, bio chem, and math, but I wanted to know mainly for bio, gen chem and o chem. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

why?

trying to study for both would not be an efficient use of your time. DAT and MCAT are actually very different exams. Studying for both at the same time is a sure way to fail both tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Toss in the PCAT while your at it. Practice makes perfect ;)

Do 1 at a time if u want to take both exams eventually. Take on the DAT 1st and then the MCAT. You will need a lot of time invested for the MCAT and almost just as much for the DAT.

Why not just decide if you want to be a Physician or a Dentist before and then you only take one exam?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the others have stated, the DAT and the MCAT are very different exams, IMO, if you considering taking both I would study for one at a time. I have worked with many students who were no successful getting into medical school and switched to dental. Just curious why are you taking both?

Nancy

Instead I’d recommend studying for the DAT and the LSAT. Both tests are quite similar and law and dentistry are also pretty much the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything is possible if you put the effort and gave yourself enough time.

Also, OAT AND DAT are quite similar except DAT have PAT and OAT have Physics instead.

Anyway. Why can't you decide if it's dentistry or medicine, seems your parents are pushing you into this.
Why should you screw yourself over your parent's wishes?

Just do what makes you happy.

Anyway, I believe Medicine is a better choice.

What makes you happy?

Anything is possible if you put the effort and gave yourself enough time.

Also, OAT AND DAT are quite similar except DAT have PAT and OAT have Physics instead.

Anyway. Why can't you decide if it's dentistry or medicine, seems your parents are pushing you into this.
Why should you screw yourself over your parent's wishes?

Just do what makes you happy.

Anyway, I believe Medicine is a better choice.

What makes you happy?
Is there any chance I could talk you out of that font color?
I can't bear to read more than a word or two...
How about Navy instead?

Is there any chance I could talk you out of that font color?
I can't bear to read more than a word or two...
How about Navy instead?

Yeah, I am not fond of that color either.
I have to find a new one though.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve taken both. MCAT is, in my opinion, significantly harder and a MUCH different exam. Don’t waste your time studying for both. I’d suggest putting your time into deciding which career choice you prefer. That said, if you are totally unsure what you want to do, go shadow someone in computer science or business or something else...your personality may be one that has no “calling” for any field in particular. Plowing through Med or dental school is a slog if you aren’t at least somewhat sure....but if you just can’t pursue something else, but are still unsure between Med and dent, study for the MCAT. If you decide medicine you’ll be set, and if you eventually decide dental you’ll be happily surprised how easy the DAT is and it’ll make studying for it that much easier.

Reactions: 2 users