Is it just me or are some Carribean medical students plain delusional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i know a few science stuff but
Foreign trained physicians are not better than DOs when it comes to match rate. If you are talking about their CVs and credibility, they are actually better than US MD graduates.

i agree with this.
i find it sad that most program director don't see the CV of a lot of Foreign Medical graduates because their application get filtered out right away.
during my intern year, there's this MD PhD Internist/Cardiologist from India who was a PGY-1 for Family medicine.
He was part of the Rapid Response team and there's "confidence" on how he ran the code.

i don't understand why he has to do residency again.
he told me the answer and how it was very costly for him since he applied to Internal Medicine, Family medicine, Neurology and even Psychiatry.
and he believes most PD rejected his application because he graduated from med school 12 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Read million dollar mistake.

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com

It shows the reality of a SGU student with a 260 USMLE step I applying to ortho.[/Q
Read million dollar mistake.

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com

It shows the reality of a SGU student with a 260 USMLE step I applying to ortho.
I agree that it sucks for that dude, but instead of whining, there are other things he could do if being an orthopod is really THE ONLY thing he would be happy doing. He could've just gone to a US med school and literally start over. To my knowledge, that's not against the rules, and it's not much, if any worse than what some people do to get into med school, period. Some people take a graduate degree and reapply, some people get another undergrad degree and reapply. I even read about this one guy who wanted it so bad, he actually got his Ph.D. so that the interviewers would have to call him doctor and reapplied. I mean, it was probably a pretty accurate take on Caribbean med schools, but if his grades and med school application were really all that, he was kind of an idiot for giving up on US schools so easily. I've lived in some AWFUL places in Florida (I once accidentally rented a room from a guy whose house was in a nudist residential community, and that dude HAD to weigh 500 lbs. I made it 2 weeks before I just told him to keep my deposit and rent and left. I also once rented a garage that had been turned into an outdoor room. Had to go inside to take a shower or use the bathroom.) I guess my point is, and maybe it IS just because I'm old, but this guy just seemed sort of like a tool to me. Like a person who is used to having it fairly easy. It could very well be that, because I also thought the wizard of the wards wrote atrociously, and she supposedly has an undergrad degree in English. I really do rue the day someone decided everyone was special and needed to be made to feel special, and everyone deserved to graduate from high school (I remember a time when people actually just eventually flunked out), and everyone NEEDS to go to college. *sigh*

As a us grad I can tell you that I am incredibly credible with an awesome cv

Pretty sure it still can't beat a foreign trained grad

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

@NEVERSURRENDERMD

Here is the kicker...

Best part is that he had a Touro CA deferred acceptance. Guy could have gone AOA ortho rather easily if he scored in the same percentile on the COMLEX as he did on the USMLE. Dumb as bricks.

Now he could try again, but he would have to admit that he matriculated from a caribbean school. This would be a turn off for many schools. Yes, there are cases stated on SDN where a person who has graduated from a carrib school and landed a DO acceptance. Yet, there are too few of them to know how legit this is. What he should have done is match into a prelim spot and reapplied to ortho again (if he is gung ho about ortho). If he wanted to just match, then he should just try for general surgery, family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, etc. from a surgery/medicine prelim spot. This is what students from such schools have done in order to match into a categorical/advanced position. Not sure why he didn't try?

Reactions: 1 users
US MD > Foreign trained physicians > DOs > Caribbean (us citizens > non) > others
LOL I don't know the average step scores for foreign trained physicians versus DO's...maybe that's true.

most of them have 99 on their step 1 and 2 ( so > 240ish) hence the 99ers, especially those from India.
but wait there's more, they have tons of publications and done with residency/fellowship.
and we think that doesn't mean much here...but no.
an intern here ( who is a practicing cardiologist in his/her country) can read "that" EKG more accurately than me on day 1.

@NEVERSURRENDERMD

Here is the kicker...

Now he could try again, but he would have to admit that he matriculated from a caribbean school. This would be a turn off for many schools. Yes, there are cases stated on SDN where a person who has graduated from a carrib school and landed a DO acceptance. Yet, there are too few of them to know how legit this is. What he should have done is match into a prelim spot and reapplied to ortho again (if he is gung ho about ortho). If he wanted to just match, then he should just try for general surgery, family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, etc. from a surgery/medicine prelim spot. This is what students from such schools have done in order to match into a categorical/advanced position. Not sure why he didn't try?
There you go! Exactly! There ARE options for this guy. Am I the ONLY one who thinks this guy is just a bit spoiled and hasn't lived enough and had his teeth kicked in enough times before he becomes tough enough? LOL ... I know you shouldn't wish that on anyone, but it's happened to a lot of us, and reading his Caribbean experience and him whining about it just seems a little naive to me. He's got a effing MD. Go out there and make it work, man! Want to be an orthopod? BECOME THE BEST DAMN ORTHOPOD IN THE WORLD!!!

It doesn't work that way, and sheer determination as the sole means of succeeding in this process is a pre-med conceit.

There you go! Exactly! There ARE options for this guy. Am I the ONLY one who thinks this guy is just a bit spoiled and hasn't lived enough and had his teeth kicked in enough times before he becomes tough enough? LOL ... I know you shouldn't wish that on anyone, but it's happened to a lot of us, and reading his Caribbean experience and him whining about it just seems a little naive to me. He's got a effing MD. Go out there and make it work, man! Want to be an orthopod? BECOME THE BEST DAMN ORTHOPOD IN THE WORLD!!!

Reactions: 4 users
That's a pretty sweeping generalization.
What about the person who took 5 years off to work IT and start a family, then go back to school.
Caution with that broad brush.
Raises hand!!!!! I'm that guy!!!!!!!! Took more than 5 years off. I'm freakin' 49 now.

It doesn't work that way, and sheer determination as the sole means of succeeding in this process is a pre-med conceit.
I'm not talking about guts and merit. I'm talking about living in the real world and FINDING a way. Pepper arguments with as many wink wink/nods as you feel necessary. If I want to make something happen, I'll figure out a way to make it happen.

the reality is, from a patient's point of view. MD still trumps DO ( no offense to our DO colleagues)
so a Carribean MD won't have to spend 2-4 minutes of his time explaining to the patient how a DO is equivalent to an MD as long as both of them did the same residency.

my colleague is a DO and a good friend..
he tells me why he prefers using Dr. John Smith vs John Smith, D.O. on his lab coat.
one of his "favorite stories" post IM residency, while practicing as a hospitalist is that, the patient asked him... " so when will we see the doctor?"

This is really quite regional. I've almost never seen it in my area, but I'm also in a state with the 2nd oldest DO school and that has one of the largest DO:MD ratios in the country. That said, I've heard stories, primarily from people out west that are similar to what you describe. It is definitely NOT something that you have to explain with every patient, regardless of region, but I suppose if it was a daily or even weekly occurrence, it would be annoying.

Also, what would you talk about for 2-4 min? Its more like 30 sec to maybe 1 min.

I agree that it sucks for that dude, but instead of whining, there are other things he could do if being an orthopod is really THE ONLY thing he would be happy doing. He could've just gone to a US med school and literally start over. To my knowledge, that's not against the rules, and it's not much, if any worse than what some people do to get into med school, period. Some people take a graduate degree and reapply, some people get another undergrad degree and reapply. I even read about this one guy who wanted it so bad, he actually got his Ph.D. so that the interviewers would have to call him doctor and reapplied. I mean, it was probably a pretty accurate take on Caribbean med schools, but if his grades and med school application were really all that, he was kind of an idiot for giving up on US schools so easily. I've lived in some AWFUL places in Florida (I once accidentally rented a room from a guy whose house was in a nudist residential community, and that dude HAD to weigh 500 lbs. I made it 2 weeks before I just told him to keep my deposit and rent and left. I also once rented a garage that had been turned into an outdoor room. Had to go inside to take a shower or use the bathroom.) I guess my point is, and maybe it IS just because I'm old, but this guy just seemed sort of like a tool to me. Like a person who is used to having it fairly easy. It could very well be that, because I also thought the wizard of the wards wrote atrociously, and she supposedly has an undergrad degree in English. I really do rue the day someone decided everyone was special and needed to be made to feel special, and everyone deserved to graduate from high school (I remember a time when people actually just eventually flunked out), and everyone NEEDS to go to college. *sigh*

Agree that there is more he could do, but I find it very unlikely he'd be able to repeat med school in the US. He absolutely would not be able to repeat at a US MD school, he's already taken the steps and already looked into this as described in his blog. He would also have a very hard time getting into a DO school given his attendance of a Carib school. Not impossible, but certainly not easy.

Something tells me a much bigger factor had to do with his SO relationship and wanting/needing to be home. That simply became a bigger importance to him after spending essentially the last 4 years either on a foreign island or as a nomad.

I think the point of his posts was more that he was taken in by the rhetoric that those schools use ("Harvard of the Caribbean"), and unfortunately for him, HE was naive enough to take them at their word and invest a quarter of million based on it. This is one of the reasons why its always better to stay in the US than trust these for-profit foreign med schools.

On a personal note, when I applied, I applied late, but I also applied very broadly including to 2 Carib schools, and even interviewed "at" both. My SGU interview has eerily similar to this guy's. The guy flat out told me that virtually everyone gets the residency they want. Fortunately, I'm more of a worst case scenario type of person and I'd already looked at the facts, and even more fortunately I didn't have to worry about it in the end.

most of them have 99 on their step 1 and 2 ( so > 240ish) hence the 99ers, especially those from India.
but wait there's more, they have tons of publications and done with residency/fellowship.
and we think that doesn't mean much here...but no.
an intern here ( who is a practicing cardiologist in his/her country) can read "that" EKG more accurately than me on day 1.

This is simply inaccurate. Some have those things. The ones that have those things are the ones you see getting a residency (obviously not all of them), and/or they've made connections with programs. You may have a skewed view because your interaction seems to be limited to your hospital, but being from a family with numerous relatives and family friends that were/are in that exact situation and being a member of a community with a relatively large percentage of foreign physicians, I can assure you that this is not the majority.

Your exposure seems to be to the successful ones, while I know plenty with what would be considered average to even slightly above average apps that are on their 3rd or 4th cycle applying, or have even just given up.

Last edited:
there were two typos by the start of the 4th paragraph.
looks like she needs less checking of privilege and more checking of spelling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
the reality is, from a patient's point of view. MD still trumps DO ( no offense to our DO colleagues)
so a Carribean MD won't have to spend 2-4 minutes of his time explaining to the patient how a DO is equivalent to an MD as long as both of them did the same residency.

my colleague is a DO and a good friend..
he tells me why he prefers using Dr. John Smith vs John Smith, D.O. on his lab coat.
one of his "favorite stories" post IM residency, while practicing as a hospitalist is that, the patient asked him... " so when will we see the doctor?"
are you sure? I don't think patients even know the difference between np and M.D.now. We have an NP that works in our clinic. Some patients would address her as "dr so and so", etc. Of course, she never find the need to correct them ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure? I don't think patients even know the difference between np and M.D.now. We have an NP that works in our clinic. Some patients would address her as "dr so and so", etc. Of course, she never find the need to correct them ;)

Why do you think she should spend her time correcting them? These patients might be technically correct if she holds a DNP :p

Why do you think she should spend her time correcting them? These patients might be technically correct if she holds a DNP :p
Bc their definition of dr is just a convenient homonym..and they know it. Oh well

You are correct. My apologies. I asked him about it, and I had misunderstood something he had said to me when we were talking about his training. My point, however, was that the medical school a presumptive physician attends is not necessarily that important and that it's the hands on training that other physicians pay more attention to once a person has passed the boards and made it to that point.

I think I would agree that what you get out of training is more important than where you do your training for most people. But passing boards does not equalize things. Plenty of physicians who pass their boards are still subpar/poor professionals which may be related to their past training experiences/standards.

I would say that in general where you train in medical school sets the stage for your career. It is simply the place where most people are formally introduced to all the specialties of medicine,observe different types of clinicians, access resources to pursue extracurricular stuff such as public health/research, and garner meaningful awards/grants/fellowships.

The same could be said about residency/fellowship with obvious more focused impact. Some people just accept this more than others (but even those who don't certainly use every opportunity to name drop...).

I think I would agree that what you get out of training is more important than where you do your training for most people. But passing boards does not equalize things. Plenty of physicians who pass their boards are still subpar/poor professionals which may be related to their past training experiences/standards.

I would say that in general where you train in medical school sets the stage for your career. It is simply the place where most people are formally introduced to all the specialties of medicine,observe different types of clinicians, access resources to pursue extracurricular stuff such as public health/research, and garner meaningful awards/grants/fellowships.

The same could be said about residency/fellowship with obvious more focused impact. Some people just accept this more than others (but even those who don't certainly use every opportunity to name drop...).

Med school lays the groundwork for residency. Where you to med school definitely plays a role in where you go to residency, both type of degree and prestige of school.

Residency is where you really learn how to be a doctor in your chosen field. Individual aptitude plays a role, but so does quality of training. Of note, prestige of program and quality of training are not always the same.

If your residency or fellowship is done at a place that is well renowned and respected and you impress your superiors as Shelton did, then I think most doctors care more about that then where he got his MD. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but in the workplace, to most physicians I've worked with, a MD is an MD. They still look at it as better than a DO, but that's changing, and what I said about where they did their residency, etc still applies to DO's. I worked at Piedmont Hospital with a DO who was an anesthesiologist, so again, once you get that medical degree, it is THE RESIDENCY that most of your peers care about. They even talk about that. They don't stand around talking about which med school each other went to but THEY DO talk about residencies and DEFINITELY fellowships. The reason is because there just aren't that many impressive med schools, even in the US. Most doctors went to some podunk med school. I know that I'm most likely headed to one.

If your residency or fellowship is done at a place that is well renowned and respected and you impress your superiors as Shelton did, then I think most doctors care more about that then where he got his MD. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but in the workplace, to most physicians I've worked with, a MD is an MD. They still look at it as better than a DO, but that's changing, and what I said about where they did their residency, etc still applies to DO's. I worked at Piedmont Hospital with a DO who was an anesthesiologist, so again, once you get that medical degree, it is THE RESIDENCY that most of your peers care about. They even talk about that. They don't stand around talking about which med school each other went to but THEY DO talk about residencies and DEFINITELY fellowships. The reason is because there just aren't that many impressive med schools, even in the US. Most doctors went to some podunk med school. I know that I'm most likely headed to one.

You're right that to a certain extent an MD is an MD. However, med school help you get the residency (US MD > DO > Carib / FMG). Residency helps you get fellowship (or job). Fellowship (or residency) helps you get job.

After a few years, once you have your own track record, very few people will still care where you trained.

Reactions: 3 users
in reality, speaking from experience hospital people don't really compare where you got your degree.
Once you're in.. you're IN.
We talk about our student loans most of the times and how many years it will take us to pay it LOL!
sad but true.

And we explore the " Loan repayment " / " Student Loan Forgiveness" that the federal government and most states have.
my program, $40,000/ year paid to your student loan and you still get a good annual income.
the catch is you'll be practicing in a very underserved area for a few years.

upload_2016-6-10_10-44-55.png

Back to more important things.. Orthopedic Surgeon by day, Indy racer also by day. Wait, Surgeon by day, racer by night. Surgeon by night, racer by.. forget it...

in reality, speaking from experience hospital people don't really compare where you got your degree.
We talk about our student loans most of the times and how many years it will take us to pay it LOL!
sad but true.

And we explore the " Loan repayment " / " Student Loan Forgiveness" that the federal government and most states have.
my program, $40,000/ year paid to your student loan and you still get a good annual income.
You must work in a hospital or some place where you work closely with the doctors and you get to be friends with them like me, because that's exactly right. Nobody gives a flip where anyone went to school. At least that's been my experience, and I've got tons of doctor friends, or rather I did, from back then, and I worked with them for 9 years.

You must work in a hospital or some place where you work closely with the doctors and you get to be friends with them like me, because that's exactly right. Nobody gives a flip where anyone went to school. At least that's been my experience, and I've got tons of doctor friends, or rather I did, from back then, and I worked with them for 9 years.

i think many people are misunderstanding the point of my original post. My point is that where you go to medical school sets the foundation of your medical or clinical career. It also in part determines where you may end up in residency. I did not state anywhere that where you go to medical school should be associated with your reputation among your peers. Again, a bad physician can come from anywhere.

That being said, for most of community practice jobs, even where you trained for residency matters less as long as you are a fit. However, med school/residency training site does matter to department heads for those who are seeking faculty positions. Believing otherwise is foolhardy.

It was my understanding that outside of academic medicine, where you went to school and how competitive your residency was doesn't mean ****.
The only thing that matters when normally practicing outside of a teaching hospital is how efficient you were (your RVU), and how well you tend to no piss other people off and get along with a team.
This is coming from previous CMO's who both said that they don't give a damn where you trained, as long as you passed and you're an efficient doctor who doesn't have trouble looking people in the eye when speaking with them

It was my understanding that outside of academic medicine, where you went to school and how competitive your residency was doesn't mean ****.
The only thing that matters when normally practicing outside of a teaching hospital is how efficient you were (your RVU), and how well you tend to no piss other people off and get along with a team.
This is coming from previous CMO's who both said that they don't give a damn where you trained, as long as you passed and you're an efficient doctor who doesn't have trouble looking people in the eye when speaking with them

This is basically true. Higher profile residencies are most important for academia. However, it really matters for your first job. After you establish a track record of scholarship, teaching, and clinical care people in academia will care more about your accomplishments in these areas and less about your training pedigree.

i'd take an IMG grad (with no US residency) vs a mid level provider any given day.

Not me. The PA is way hotter (just playing the odds) and I know enough for the both of us in that room.

Reactions: 9 users
i'd take an IMG grad (with no US residency) vs a mid level provider any given day.

Well the competition is IMG vs other docs for residency...not with midlevels. Kind of a pointless statement.

Well the competition is IMG vs other docs for residency...not with midlevels. Kind of a pointless statement.

You missed the point. But that's OK.
i guess you haven't been with a lot of mid level providers doing primary care OR have seen patients who INITIALLY saw them.

if i was a patient and i'm being seen today, i'd rather be seen by an IMG ( who probably finished his/her residency at home) vs. a mid level provider like a PA/ NP etc.

i saw a patient last week for follow up who was diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism and treated with Synthroid because her lab results showed low levels of TSH.
IF only the nurse practioner who saw this lady understand that Low TSH is HYPERthyroidism and all the symptoms of the Patient are textbook case of HYPERthyroidism
then this woman wouldn't be in my office after 5 days.

You want another real life example?

A 55 yr old man on 2mg warfarin has an INR of 1.35 for Months... yes months!
and this NP did not make any changes on the dosage of his warfarin.

so... not a pointless statement.

i guess you haven't been with a lot of mid level providers doing primary care OR have seen patients who INITIALLY saw them.

if i was a patient and i'm being seen today, i'd rather be seen by an IMG ( who probably finished his/her residency at home) vs. a mid level provider like a PA/ NP etc.

i saw a patient last week for follow up who was diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism and treated with Synthroid because her lab results showed low levels of TSH.
IF only the nurse practioner who saw this lady understand that Low TSH is HYPERthyroidism and all the symptoms of the Patient are textbook case of HYPERthyroidism

in b4 n=2 you don't have any published data!?@!#!@?#!@$!

Interesting...well let me know how it goes when you demand an unlicensed IMG at the urgent care instead of the licensed NP.

I'm more impressed that the NP was able to maintain the INR at such a precise level for several months.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm more impressed that the NP was able to maintain the INR at such a precise level for several months.

Because the NP only sees the patient every 3 months. same thing with blood work.
So in 6 months, there was just 2 INR readings
and since it is "normal" there was no Flag on the values.

But we both know, since we went to med school that a patient on anticoagulation therapy should have at least a 2.0
even an unlicensed person, ( aka MS3 or MS4) knows this.

that was my point.

sad but true.

40k to your loans? Holy crap that's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you're worried about med school loans or even undergrad loans, you should check out what I do and did for money before I decided to go to med school. Actually, that's somewhat misleading, as I still do it, but it's just that since I have a staff I trust (all also seeking some sort of grad degree, be it Masters or PhD, JD, MD) who are excellent traders in their own right, I don't have to keep as near a close eye on them as I used to. This is how we're all paying our way through college/grad school, guys. We took our student loans and used our investment knowledge to increase that paltry amount by hundreds of percent, and got so good at it, we decided to start a think tank and biz out of it. We're one of the few if not the only funds I know of that will let you deposit only $2k and have it actively traded. If you guys are really having that hard of a time with money, you should check it out. I refrained from posting anything about it on here because I didn't and still don't want to break any posting rules about advertising or anything, and if I am, just remove this and I won't do it again, Scout's Honor. Just trying to help. Here's the link... http://dougbondenterprises.com.

And another episode of CNBC's American Greed is born...

If you're worried about med school loans or even undergrad loans, you should check out what I do and did for money before I decided to go to med school. Actually, that's somewhat misleading, as I still do it, but it's just that since I have a staff I trust (all also seeking some sort of grad degree, be it Masters or PhD, JD, MD) who are excellent traders in their own right, I don't have to keep as near a close eye on them as I used to. This is how we're all paying our way through college/grad school, guys. We took our student loans and used our investment knowledge to increase that paltry amount by hundreds of percent, and got so good at it, we decided to start a think tank and biz out of it. We're one of the few if not the only funds I know of that will let you deposit only $2k and have it actively traded. If you guys are really having that hard of a time with money, you should check it out. I refrained from posting anything about it on here because I didn't and still don't want to break any posting rules about advertising or anything, and if I am, just remove this and I won't do it again, Scout's Honor. Just trying to help. Here's the link... http://dougbondenterprises.com.

At least you waited 59 posts before revealing why you're here.

Reactions: 6 users

Someone give him $2k just to see what happens.

What are your total assets under management?

Not sure if you need to decrease the meth or increase the lithium...

Not sure if you need to decrease the meth or increase the lithium...
Hey man, don't hate. I make money. I'm also going to med school because I want to make life better for those without. If you want to hate that, I'd say you have need the meds.

At least you waited 59 posts before revealing why you're here.
I resent that. That is not why I'm here. Someone brought up how bad their money situations was via loans. I let them know that there is an alternative. I'm here so I won't get sucker punched quite as much as I otherwise would when it comes time to apply for med schools, and the same for when I actually start med school.

And another episode of CNBC's American Greed is born...
Whatever. If you knew me you'd feel bad about saying that, but I forgive you as you know virtually nothing about me. I'm 49 years old and medicine is another career for me. You surely can't expect me to have not had a career prior to now.

Whatever. If you knew me you'd feel bad about saying that, but I forgive you as you know virtually nothing about me. I'm 49 years old and medicine is another career for me. You surely can't expect me to have not had a career prior to now.

I could not care less about you having another career. If you were familiar with the show, you would recognize my comments about the sketchiness of your so called investment operation. Anyone promising 100%-250% returns every year should immediately flag one's scam alert.

Reactions: 5 users
guys, 2k and ur student loan goes away
worth it even if its got like 1% chance to succeed huh?

just curious tho what do u trade in

guys, 2k and ur student loan goes away

In the guy's defense, he didn't say that. He said they allow you to invest as little as $2k, as opposed to a more typical ante of, say, $10k.

But yeah, "hundreds of percent" return is... improbable, to say the least.