Is it just me or are some Carribean medical students plain delusional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord_Vader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We started a new rotation this week and our school rotates with SGU students at the hospital. As part of the standard process the attending asked all of us what we wanted to go into. Everything seemed natural until one SGU student said they wanted to go into ortho and then another one afterwards said they were interested in urology. It was hard not to have a physical reaction to their answers but surely they must have seen the change on all of the faces of the kids from my med school. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the match rate for the surgical subspecialities extremely low for Carribean students and that statistically speaking it is very hard for those students to match into something like ortho or uro? I almost felt compelled to pull them aside afterwards and implore them to change their decisions lest they face a very disastrous road ahead. Surely someone from their school must've talked to them about the whole process? Now don't get me wrong. The majority of the Carribean students I've worked with have been pleasant and very realistic about their future. But this isn't the first time something like what I just described has occurred.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I know a good thread when I see one

Reactions: 142 users
We started a new rotation this week and our school rotates with SGU students at the hospital. As part of the standard process the attending asked all of us what we wanted to go into. Everything seemed natural until one SGU student said they wanted to go into ortho and then another one afterwards said they were interested in urology. It was hard not to have a physical reaction to their answers but surely they must have seen the change on all of the faces of the kids from my med school. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the match rate for the surgical subspecialities extremely low for Carribean students and that statistically speaking it is very hard for those students to match into something like ortho or uro? I almost felt compelled to pull them aside afterwards and implore them to change their decisions lest they face a very disastrous road ahead. Surely someone from their school must've talked to them about the whole process? Now don't get me wrong. The majority of the Carribean students I've worked with have been pleasant and very realistic about their future. But this isn't the first time something like what I just described has occurred.

Very very unlikely but not impossible. 3 people from SGU matched Ortho in 2015. Who knows what connections the students you are talking about have. If their dad is a big shot at a teaching hospital with an Ortho residency, they all of a sudden look a lot less delusional.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a fair amount of delusion necessary in order to actually go to the Carib. Literally everyone thinks they will be the exception rather than the rule.

Reactions: 23 users
Nah you just gotta be a wizard on the wards

Reactions: 38 users
Nah you just gotta be a wizard on the wards

CtIKMYf.jpg

If you feel like stabbing yourself;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/20-beautiful-women/why-us-healthcare-system-_b_9632948.html

Reactions: 24 users

It's not up to you to point out the delusions of others, especially in the small position of power you hold right now. Check your privilege and let it go.

Reactions: 41 users
no offense but OP sounds like a huge tool

Reactions: 59 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The author of that tripe is clearly delusional, the rando med students with a dream of a competitive residency aren't necessarily (what they WANT to do may not be what they think they will end up doing)

Reactions: 1 users
lol you guys are dinguses <3

Reactions: 8 users
Holy f*cking hell I think I got full blown AIDS from that. This article needs to be stopped its out here giving people cancer and aids.
But she's an "unstoppable force" :rolleyes:.. That writer needs to learn that equal opportunity doesn't mean equal results. Hopefully no one takes her drivel seriously.

Now I regret not attending the Harvard of the Caribbean.

Reactions: 19 users
Very very unlikely but not impossible. 3 people from SGU matched Ortho in 2015. Who knows what connections the students you are talking about have. If their dad is a big shot at a teaching hospital with an Ortho residency, they all of a sudden look a lot less delusional.

Probably not resorting to the Carib if Dad is a big shot at a teaching hospital bruh.

Reactions: 1 user
It's amazing how someone with a degree in English at UCLA can write so atrociously.

Reactions: 57 users
It's amazing how someone with a degree in English at UCLA can write so atrociously.

Getting a degree in English is like passing 6th grade.

Reactions: 44 users
We were born under the same constitution...SO I DESERVE ACCESS TO ORTHO AND UROLOGY.

Good thing she chose the, "Harvard of the Caribbean."

Reactions: 10 users
We were born under the same constitution...SO I DESERVE ACCESS TO ORTHO AND UROLOGY.

Good thing she chose the, "Harvard of the Caribbean."
"Although there is a doctor shortage in the U.S. for Family Medicine and Primary Care Physicians, SGU grads should be given the same opportunities for competitive residencies like Orthopedic Surgery, Dermatology, etc., in the United States."

We could, you know, fill healthcare needs. But we should have the opportunity to, you know, not. For the good of us, because screw our country- it should guarantee us equal opportunities and we shoudn't have to do a damn thing in return.

Reactions: 13 users
"Although there is a doctor shortage in the U.S. for Family Medicine and Primary Care Physicians, SGU grads should be given the same opportunities for competitive residencies like Orthopedic Surgery, Dermatology, etc., in the United States."

We could, you know, fill healthcare needs. But we should have the opportunity to, you know, not. For the good of us, because screw our country- it should guarantee us equal opportunities and we shoudn't have to do a damn thing in return.

I chose this school as my first choice and didn't even want to apply to U.S. schools, and I'm proud of this, but hey, look at how unfair it is that we don't get the same opportunities for competitive residencies.

Reactions: 8 users
I was going to say the same thing, but it is possible that she went to the UCLA of the Carib. and just calls it UCLA. Also, maybe if she wrote at least up to the par of even a non-English major college graduate, she could have gone to school here and would not have had to go to a third world country for medical school. She says "did not apply" I say, rejected for PS.

Reactions: 17 users
The editor must have been sick the day this was published. Absolutely embarrassing.

Reactions: 9 users
The editor must have been sick the day this was published. Absolutely embarrassing.

....on the same day the author was enduring one of the infamous spelling and grammar check outages that the Caribbean has reluctantly become known for.

Reactions: 11 users
....on the same day the author was enduring one of the infamous spelling and grammar check outages that the Caribbean has reluctantly become known for.
My personal favorite though is the overuse of "whereby" to increase the sophistication level. Anyone else catch that?

Reactions: 7 users
She went to UCLA for undergrad...enough said.
UCLA breeds the most pretentious/overblown pre meds in the country. They feel like they are entitled to everything. Living in Brentwood for 4 years messes with their empathy and reasoning skills.

Edit: Wow, her grammar is atrocious. She doesn't know the difference between "who" and "whom" yet she graduated from UCLA with an English degree and writes for HuffPo?

Edit: I'm also really curious when she started SGU and if she has ever decelerated. From her twitter account it seems that she is going to start school in the Fall of 2016.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/20-beautiful-women/bones-are-a-girls-best-fr_b_9377266.html
^^ There she talks about how PDs should give preference to women in orthopedic surgery residency programs

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
It's not up to you to point out the delusions of others, especially in the small position of power you hold right now. Check your privilege and let it go.

I'm convinced millennials are just mindlessly throwing this phrase into everything they say, almost subconsciously.

Reactions: 18 users
Tip for mainland students writing disparaging posts about offshore students: The word Caribbean is spelled with one r and two b's.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 14 users
To be fair, American med students can be just as delusional

Reactions: 6 users
Actually you don't, public restroom access in 3rd world countries is quite limited. You can't just take a dump whenever you want

True, but it's not frowned upon as much in third world countries...

To be fair, American med students can be just as delusional

Delusional mindsets appear everywhere, but being in the tropics probably provides a more suitable environment for their growth.

Reactions: 2 users
She went to UCLA for undergrad...enough said.
UCLA breeds the most pretentious/overblown pre meds in the country. They feel like they are entitled to everything. Living in Brentwood for 4 years messes with their empathy and reasoning skills.

Edit: Wow, her grammar is atrocious. She doesn't know the difference between "who" and "whom" yet she graduated from UCLA with an English degree and writes for HuffPo?

Edit: I'm also really curious when she started SGU and if she has ever decelerated. From her twitter account it seems that she is going to start school in the Fall of 2016.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/20-beautiful-women/bones-are-a-girls-best-fr_b_9377266.html
^^ There she talks about how PDs should give preference to women in orthopedic surgery residency programs
Oh God this article is worse than the first one