Is cholecystectomy a significant risk factor of various GI tract cancers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayonnaise_clinic

Reaction score
20191226_163114.jpg
20191227_082204.jpg

I recently came across series of research articles (as I have listed above) indicating that cholecystectomy is a significant risk factor of various GI tract cancer including HCC, Cholangiocarcinoma, gastric cancer, and colorectal cancer.

Following article is a meta analysis of researches available at the moment of study.

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy is one of the most frequently done surgeries, and more than a million people undergo cholecystectomy annually.

However, physicians do not warn the possibility of increased cancer risk to patients before the surgery. Some studies have concluded that there are 2 to even 2.5 folds increased risks of various GI tract cancer.

Of course patients who fall under the absolute indications of cholecystectomy must be cholecystectomized.

However, some surgeons and physicians recommend cholecystectomy to patients who do not fully meet the indications of surgery; such as symptomatic gallstone, 7mm GB polyp, and asymptomatic 2.5cm choledocolithiasis.

Do you guys think cholecystectomy is a risk factor of various GI tract cancer?
If so, should physicians and surgeons warn patients regarding increased risk of cancer before the surgery?

To counter this increased risk of cancer, should daily low dose aspirin be recommended to patients who underwent cholecystectomy especially young patients?

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your post sets off red flags to me. This is not a forum for medical or legal advice.

You linked a mediocre study from a bad journal, which concludes "This review found no clear association between cholecystectomy and GIT cancers." There is not a society or guideline that would advocate for what you suggest. ASA prophylaxis for GI cancers is not clear-cut even with good indications.

Could there be something there? Who knows. Take good care of patients and do the best you can with the information you have at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your post sets off red flags to me. This is not a forum for medical or legal advice.

You linked a mediocre study from a bad journal, which concludes "This review found no clear association between cholecystectomy and GIT cancers." There is not a society or guideline that would advocate for what you suggest. ASA prophylaxis for GI cancers is not clear-cut even with good indications.

Could there be something there? Who knows. Take good care of patients and do the best you can with the information you have at the time.
Understood Thank you

This is what is called ‘fake news’
I wouldnt call it fake news.
There are plausible biochemical explanation, though unproven, for the increased risk.
i.e. increased intraductal preasure, secondary bile metabolites working as carcinogen.
I think there should be further researches on this issue.

Thank you for posting, but as mentioned by @IM2GI this forum is not for medical advice.
This post will be closed.

4 reasons:

1) No person should be persuaded to read an article or even consider this article for citation

2) You can not ask or give medical advice on this forum

3) Research is good, in fact, is excellent, please just give us the topic and post your research Idea. We can not answer any health-related questions.

4) PLEASE CONSULT A GASTROENTEROLOGIST for your Digestive Diseases questions and concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.