This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Academically if you shoot for average, are you a very good doctor?
There’s no correlation. I’ve seen people with excellent grades make very poor clinicians. They were very good at memorizing though. I’ve seen people ranked lower but are better doctors. Clinical competency and understanding how to communicate with patients has nothing to do with memorizing the Krebs cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Florida is one of the cheapest states to live in? We have no state income text and real estate is cheaper
Are you sure? I may be wrong but looking at multiple resources they aren’t even top 10. One has florida ranked at #32. Cheaper than to live in the rural Midwest? Does state income tax correlate cost of living? I agree with you if you’re comparing it to other popular and saturated areas

Have you worked mostly in saturated areas? I believe your thoughts and advice are true for very saturated areas, but more rural ish areas I don’t think this is true. I can’t say for sure since I’ve never worked there but I bet there are lots of rural ish areas in central Florida where $1000+ a day associateships should be pretty easy to find. I’m in the Midwest and was doing $200k+ by my second year as an associate (area of ~500k). I also had lots of benefits. About half of my friends who are still associates are in the $200k+ range (with lots of benefits). Some I wouldn’t even include as rural (again in areas of ~500K), but rural is a subjective term. None of my friends who are associates in saturated areas (ie LA and Denver) are above $200k and have worse benefits, but benefits nonetheless. OP—Look at job postings or even call around to dental recruiters and ask what’s a normal range for an associate dentist where you are planning on living. Compensation in dentistry is very geographically dependent.
If it’s so easy to get a job that pays $200k/year (for working only 4 days/wk) as a new grad like what you described, then dentists shouldn’t have problem paying back their $500-600k student loan debt. If what you said is true, then one can easily increase his/hers salary to $300k/year by working 5-6 days/wk, instead of just 4 days/wk. If what you said is true, then why do many dentists (and some successful ones like Coldfront and Daurang) on this forum say dentistry is not worth pursuing any more (due to oversaturation, decrease in insurance reimbursements, expansion of corps, high student loan debt etc)?

My first job paid me $800/day. My wife’s first job paid her $500/day. I worked 6 days/wk. My wife worked 5 (sometimes 6) days/wk. Our combined income was in the mid $300k and our combined student loan debt was $450k. With the home loan, we owed close to $1 million. Despite such huge debt, we felt we had a very luxurious lifestyle….the kind of lifestyle that many of our general dentist and physician friends wished they could have. It was a huge jump in lifestyle......from a $1500 beat up Honda Civic (during my ortho residency) to driving a $77k 7-series BMW, which I paid $1300/month to lease.

I agree with you that it’s very geographically dependent. But like I said before, nothing in life is easy. In order to earn an above average salary, you have to make some sacrifices….such as living in a boring town, where nobody wants to live….living far away from your friends/relatives….working 5-6 days/wk etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I can add as I have currently made $0.00 from dentistry is watch your posture. If you are on the extreme ends of heights above 6 foot or less than 5 you need to be especially careful of your posture.

I wish I had been more cognizant of this as someone on an extreme end myself. Dentistry can be very taxing on your body

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s so easy to get a job that pays $200k/year (for working only 4 days/wk) as a new grad like what you described, then dentists shouldn’t have problem paying back their $500-600k student loan debt. If what you said is true, then one can easily increase his/hers salary to $300k/year by working 5-6 days/wk, instead of just 4 days/wk. If what you said is true, then why do many dentists (and some successful ones like Coldfront and Daurang) on this forum say dentistry is not worth pursuing any more (due to oversaturation, decrease in insurance reimbursements, expansion of corps, high student loan debt etc)?

My first job paid me $800/day. My wife’s first job paid her $500/day. I worked 6 days/wk. My wife worked 5 (sometimes 6) days/wk. Our combined income was in the mid $300k and our combined student loan debt was $450k. With the home loan, we owed close to $1 million. Despite such huge debt, we felt we had a very luxurious lifestyle….the kind of lifestyle that many of our general dentist and physician friends wished they could have. It was a huge jump in lifestyle......from a $1500 beat up Honda Civic (during my ortho residency) to driving a $77k 7-series BMW, which I paid $1300/month to lease.

I agree with you that it’s very geographically dependent. But like I said before, nothing in life is easy. In order to earn an above average salary, you have to make some sacrifices….such as living in a boring town, where nobody wants to live….living far away from your friends/relatives….working 5-6 days/wk etc.
The few people who I personally know who are in the $500k+ debt load are doing exactly what you are saying or some type of federal forgiveness program. As associates they are working 5-6 days a week, making as much as they can. They are making it work. Most of my dentist friends and I went to a state school where our incomes on 4 days a week are plenty to cover the loans and still live a good life. It’s pretty easy to do the math if you know your debt and your ballpark income to see if dental school is worth it to you. Which is rather subjective.

Our perceptions are molded by our experiences. It’s sorta like paying $100k for a house 15 years ago and selling it for $500k today (much faster than inflationary increase). The people who got dental degrees on the cheap will always look at the more expensive degrees today and say how it’s “not worth it” or whatever. They are comparing today’s situation to a situation that no longer exists. The reality is it’s still very much “worth it” to some people. No doubt it depends on the debt to income ratio. The OP here seems to be on the lower end of debt. And depending on where he is willing to work, they can be at the upper end of income for an associate without stretching probability too much. But to say all associates makes $100-120k across America is straight up not true. $150k is starting for new grads in my area. Several of my classmates started north of that. Lots of careers and industries are past their “golden era”. Doesn’t mean they aren’t worth pursuing given the right variables.

And to be clear here, if OP said they will be in $600k of debt and only want to associate in LA for life, I’d say run from dentistry.

We all have our own form of success stories. I’m an owner now. Life is good.

Reactions: 6 users
Wait until you have a family of your own and you shall see. That $100k take home amount (or $8333 a month) vanishes quickly when you have kids. With 2 kids, you can’t just live in a 2 bed 2 bath condo. You’ll need at least a 4 bed 3 bath house, which will easily cost you $600-800k in Florida (or $1.2-1.3 millions in CA). A monthly home mortgage payment + property tax + insurance + maintenance will be at $5-6k/month for a $600-800k house. A car payment + insurance + gas +maintenance for a $50k car will set you back at least $1k a month. Most dentists work as independent contractors. This means that you’ll have to pay for your own malpractice, health, disability insurances. Health insurance for a family of 4 will be around $1300 a month and insurance companies raise the premium every year. Hopefully, your spouse has a job that provides health benefit so you won’t have to buy one. When your kids are younger, you will need to pay for childcare service so you and your spouse can go to work….that’s at least $2k a month. When you kids are old enough to drive, you’ll have to add them to your insurance plan….that’s another $1500 for 6 months. You also have to save for your kids’ college educations if you want them to have as little student loan debt as possible. A week vacation to Hawaii for a family of 4 easily costs you more than $10k. You also need to put some of your income away (401k, Sep IRA) for your future retirement. You can’t just rely on the social security money that the government is supposed to save for you when you retire. The list goes on and on.

I’ve seen a lot of young doctors and dentists who think they make a lot of money and therefore, they go out and buy a lot of expensive things for themselves. They had suffered for so long (8+ years of schooling and living the below the poverty level). They want instant gratification. They didn’t think about investing and saving for their retirements. They think they are still young and should have plenty of time to pay back the debts. Time goes by very quickly. By the time they retire, they have nothing…..except for the house that they paid off. The thing with dentistry is it’s a physically demanding job. As you get older, your back starts to hurt and you won’t be able to produce as much as when you were younger.

How do you manage to owe so little loan ($250k) for dental school? Do your parents help pay for part of it?
So true. I know a lot of people who graduated with significant amount of debt and yet refuse to move away from major cities to earn more money or save. They worked so hard for the past 8 years and now feel entitled to live lavishly. Just paying the minimum payments on their loan.

I also know people who graduated with zero debt(help from parents)/military/nhsc scholarships and still live pretty frugally.

I guess it all depends on your lifestyle. Or more importantly lifestyle of your significant other 😂😂😂. It’s really hard to change that. Just like someone’s personality…

Figure out what makes you happy the most. Is it living in a giant house in major cities? Driving expensive cars? Owning luxury handbags? Etc.

Some people are happy not having any of the above.

Last edited:
So true. I know a lot of people who graduated with significant amount of debt and yet refuse to move away from major cities to earn more money or save. They worked so hard for the past 8 years and now feel entitled to live lavishly. Just paying the minimum payments on their loan.

I also know people who graduated with zero debt(help from parents)/military/nhsc scholarships and still live pretty frugally.

I guess it all depends on your lifestyle. Or more importantly lifestyle of your significant other 😂😂😂. It’s really hard to change that. Just like someone’s personality…

Figure out what makes you happy the most. Is it living in a giant house in major cities? Driving expensive cars? Owning luxury handbags? Etc.

Some people are happy not having any of the above.

Goes back to the insanity - why don't people focus on their income rather than avoiding debt/debt obligations? As dentists, we are in a unique position to make a lot more money than most people, even with a 500k+ debt load. Dentists have the potential to pay off that debt load AND live a lifestyle of luxury. There shouldn't have to be any compromises as long as someone is willing to work hard.

Goes back to the insanity - why don't people focus on their income rather than avoiding debt/debt obligations? As dentists, we are in a unique position to make a lot more money than most people, even with a 500k+ debt load. Dentists have the potential to pay off that debt load AND live a lifestyle of luxury. There shouldn't have to be any compromises as long as someone is willing to work hard.
IMO just working hard is not enough. There are definitely some compromises you need to make especially for a new grad with 500k+ student loans. Graduating 10-15 years ago is not the same as today. Can you really start out making 150k a year while living in the heart of New York City or LA surrounded by amazing restaurants where number of potential partners are also limitless? I don’t think so. You need to work hard and that means you have to work a lot of weekends and that takes away time from enjoying going on dates, spending time with family, going to bars, having fun, etc.

Also building a practice takes time. I’m sure you didn’t start out netting millions of dollars starting out. Dentistry is getting more and more competitive.

Good luck telling millennials to work their asses off when they just did that for the last 8 years. We want instant gratification.

The few people who I personally know who are in the $500k+ debt load are doing exactly what you are saying or some type of federal forgiveness program. As associates they are working 5-6 days a week, making as much as they can. They are making it work. Most of my dentist friends and I went to a state school where our incomes on 4 days a week are plenty to cover the loans and still live a good life. It’s pretty easy to do the math if you know your debt and your ballpark income to see if dental school is worth it to you. Which is rather subjective.

Our perceptions are molded by our experiences. It’s sorta like paying $100k for a house 15 years ago and selling it for $500k today (much faster than inflationary increase). The people who got dental degrees on the cheap will always look at the more expensive degrees today and say how it’s “not worth it” or whatever. They are comparing today’s situation to a situation that no longer exists. The reality is it’s still very much “worth it” to some people. No doubt it depends on the debt to income ratio. The OP here seems to be on the lower end of debt. And depending on where he is willing to work, they can be at the upper end of income for an associate without stretching probability too much. But to say all associates makes $100-120k across America is straight up not true. $150k is starting for new grads in my area. Several of my classmates started north of that. Lots of careers and industries are past their “golden era”. Doesn’t mean they aren’t worth pursuing given the right variables.

And to be clear here, if OP said they will be in $600k of debt and only want to associate in LA for life, I’d say run from dentistry.

I agree that not all new grad associates make $100-120k across America but I still stand by my earlier statement that making $200k/year for working 4 days a week is above average….and not the norm for a new grad dentist. Any boss that pays a clueless new grad, who has no known previous work experience, $200k/year for working only 4 days/wk must be crazy person…..unless he’s in the area, where there is a shortage of DDS and the office has an unlimited supply of patients. With the new openings of new dental schools and expansions of corp offices, such area is not easy to find anymore. If it's so easy, I would strongly recommend dentistry to everyone even when they have to take out $5-600k loan.

If you read some of my past posts, you know that I one of the optimistic dentists on this forum. But I also respect the opinions of many pessimistic “doom and gloom” dentists on this board. They are not wrong about the oversaturation, the insurance pay cuts, the rapid rise in dental school tuitions etc. And now, the rapid rise in inflation rate (caused by this Covid pandemic) has made the matter worse. Nonetheless, I am still very optimistic about our dental profession. At least it's not completely taken over by big corps like pharmacy and optomentry. If you are willing to work hard and make sacrifices, you can have a very successful career wherever you set up your practice…..even in my great state, California. The reason I am hesitant to recommend dentistry to many young college kids is I am not sure if they are willing to make the same sacrifices that my wife and I made. I don’t know if they are ok with working on the weekends or not. I don’t earn a 7-figure income like Tanman and Coldfront but I’ve done very well. I think I am doing better than a lot of my colleagues who are practicing in less saturated states. Many of them still have to pay back the debts.

Last edited:
IMO just working hard is not enough. There are definitely some compromises you need to make especially for a new grad with 500k+ student loans. Graduating 10-15 years ago is not the same as today. Can you really start out making 150k a year while living in the heart of New York City or LA surrounded by amazing restaurants where number of potential partners are also limitless? I don’t think so. You need to work hard and that means you have to work a lot of weekends and that takes away time from enjoying going on dates, spending time with family, going to bars, having fun, etc.

Also building a practice takes time. I’m sure you didn’t start out netting millions of dollars starting out. Dentistry is getting more and more competitive.

Good luck telling millennials to work their asses off when they just did that for the last 8 years. We want instant gratification.
Hard work is a prerequisite, being flexible in going where the money's at is another. If you're going to accumulate that amount of debt, then you must be prepared to do what it takes.

I didn't net millions starting out but even in the first full year, I was netting at least 500. That's enough to take care of my student loans and get a house too. I don't think it's that bad unless you limit yourself in your ability to succeed. Instant gratification isn't off the table here. I started cheap, had no practice loans, got a house early on, got the cars I wanted, and so on... you're right though, life's too short to compromise. No point in getting a sports car in your 50s.

Another perpetuated myth is you have to work many hours to make lots of money. Totally untrue. You just have to be efficient and fast. Also, I grew up in a major city. It gets boring eventually, trust me. I like to live closer to an international airport hub so I have freedom to travel the world. Although, I do love LAX since they have private terminal options.

Anyway, you can still get instant gratification if you're willing to do what it takes to make the money.

Reactions: 3 users

Hard work is the key ingredient for success. If you work hard, you can do very well even in states like CA, NY. The harder you work and the higher volume of patients you treat, the more clinical experience you will gain and the more efficient you will become. Each of my offices doesn’t have enough patients due to oversaturation. To keep myself busy, I book as many patients in one day as possible and work as few days per week as possible. And for the other free days in the week, I travel to work at other offices. I travel to 6 different offices (4 are my own and 2 are Corp offices) and I treat more than 1500 active ortho patients per month, which are many times more patients than what most of my colleagues see per month. More patients = more money.

life's too short to compromise. No point in getting a sports car in your 50s.
Not a fan of the noisy engine and bumpy ride of a sport car. I’ve just return the leased Model X to Tesla and got this X7. It’s not as fast as your Cayenne but this car makes me feel like I am on airplane. I didn’t think I would ever go back to driving another gasoline car again.

Attachments

• 20211129_212759.jpg
    20211129_212759.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 159
  • X7.png
    X7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 164

Thank you for this reply. Again, I don’t have absolutely no intention of opening a practice, I just wanted to know if associating for life was an option that SOME dentists take. And that owning a practice wasn’t some kind of requirement when I don’t even know a thing about that yet. I think the end goal is practice ownership, but if I enjoy associateships for me, I don’t see why I should have to open a practice.

@Screwtape if you don’t mind me asking, where is your area where you’re getting $150K for new grads?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this reply. Again, I don’t have absolutely no intention of opening a practice, I just wanted to know if associating for life was an option that SOME dentists take. And that owning a practice wasn’t some kind of requirement when I don’t even know a thing about that yet. I think the end goal is practice ownership, but if I enjoy associateships for me, I don’t see why I should have to open a practice.

@Screwtape if you don’t mind me asking, where is your area where you’re getting $150K for new grads?
Keep in mind ownership is not just about earning more. Someone alluded to this earlier, but as an associate you don't have control over the practice systems, what assistants you get, what materials/equipment you have, or what procedures you get to do. It may not seem like a big deal at first, but it can get frustrating very quickly. In my experience it was hard to find an associateship that had everything. My best role had all of these, was earning well, but owners tended to cherry pick cases and load my schedule with just fillings and srp, which got tiring after a while. My point is, its going to be difficult to find a perfect practice you can associate at for your entire career. You will have to adapt to these less ideal factors or keep bouncing around offices to find something ideal. Bear in mind, though, for private offices, if your boss knows you never want to own, they may eventually drop you in favor of someone who will eventually buy their practice.

I suppose one approach you could take is working with corporate and becoming an "owner" in their system. They can offer support in marketing/billing/HR, and you'll have more autonomy and income (probably not as much as a solo owner). They will still call many shots, but it might be a good way to balance your priorities and mitigate the risks I've mentioned above.

Being a dentist is not terrible, but I would not recommend it at this time. There are too many headwinds for the practice owner and being a lifelong associate is a crapshoot.

Being a dentist in a corporate setting isn’t fun. Public health can be miserable but there are a few bright spots. Most private offices don’t need associates and private practices are hit or miss and there are no almost always no benefits. Owning a practice is the only way but inflation is hurting dentists badly because we can’t raise fees if in network. My long term view is a staffing shortage that’s permanent because our offices won’t be desirable enough to work at given other work form home alternatives.

Being a dentist is not terrible, but I would not recommend it at this time. There are too many headwinds for the practice owner and being a lifelong associate is a crapshoot.

Being a dentist in a corporate setting isn’t fun. Public health can be miserable but there are a few bright spots. Most private offices don’t need associates and private practices are hit or miss and there are no almost always no benefits. Owning a practice is the only way but inflation is hurting dentists badly because we can’t raise fees if in network. My long term view is a staffing shortage that’s permanent because our offices won’t be desirable enough to work at given other work form home alternatives.
So what would you recommend instead at this time?

Derm (if you can be competitive enough to match) has all this and makes $400-$500k working for 35-40 hrs a week
Outpatient psych (Much easier to match) is $300k for 35 hrs
Lots of 8-4 M-Thu family med gigs pay $260k+ in the right locations
EM (if you're cool doing shift work) is $350-$400k for 36 hrs/week (approx 12-14 shifts/month, can do 12 12s or 16 8s)
PM&R ($300k) and $4-500k if you do pain

I only know a little about dentistry from friends and from what I read on this forum. But I also know a lot of successful businesspeople who didn't go to college or got a random degree they never use. I feel like dentistry is similar in that aspect. I know people who can micromanage the heck out of metroPCS and boost mobile stores to squeeze out $2k/profit/month from each store (may not seem like much but little investment up front) or gas stations or what have you
What about PA or CRNA?

with PA you're very limited in what you can do. CRNA is more lucrative ($150-$250k) and despite what some people say "oh they don't know what they're doing etc" it's a great career. I'm considering anesthesiology and I don't feel threatened by them. Complex cases will always require an MD or I can take a job supervising CRNAs. They do all the easy cases. Long gone are the days where MDs can do easy cases all day for $$$
Wouldn’t you say working as a CRNA as an “associate” would come with the same issues being an associate dentist? Essentially you’re someone’s employee. And the pay is relatively the same

Derm (if you can be competitive enough to match) has all this and makes $400-$500k working for 35-40 hrs a week
EM (if you're cool doing shift work) is $350-$400k for 36 hrs/week (approx 12-14 shifts/month, can do 12 12s or 16 8s)

I only know a little about dentistry from friends and from what I read on this forum. But I also know a lot of successful businesspeople who didn't go to college or got a random degree they never use. I feel like dentistry is similar in that aspect. I know people who can micromanage the heck out of metroPCS and boost mobile stores to squeeze out $2k/profit/month from each store (may not seem like much but little investment up front) or gas stations or what have you
These are all very good fields but it's extremely hard to get into a med school.....much harder than dental school, especially if you have an Asian last name. My brother got 9 interviews for Derm. He published and presented his research thesis while he was in med school. But he didn't match to any of these Derm programs. He did 3 years of internal medicine and then another 3 years for GI fellowship.

• Love
with PA you're very limited in what you can do. CRNA is more lucrative ($150-$250k) and despite what some people say "oh they don't know what they're doing etc" it's a great career. I'm considering anesthesiology and I don't feel threatened by them. Complex cases will always require an MD or I can take a job supervising CRNAs. They do all the easy cases. Long gone are the days where MDs can do easy cases all day for $$$

Stay away from California if you choose this field. According to my cousin, who has practiced anesthesiology for 20 years, it's the worst field in medicine. The work hours suck. You have to please the surgeon whom you work with. The hospital staff don't repect you because you are not the hospital's employee....you work for a group that has contract with the hospital. You have to hire a biller to bill/collect the money from the insurance companies. You don't get paid for treating the illegal immigrants who don't have any insurance. Being an anesthesiologist, you can't open your own practice like other specialties in medicine.

One night, he had to wake up in the middle of the night and drove to the hospital to perform an epidural for a patient. The patient had medicaid, whic only paid him $200 for the procedure. He now works FT at an outpatient center. The hours are better....no more weekend hours....but the pay is much less. It's ok because he recently paid off his student loans.

I agree that not all new grad associates make $100-120k across America but I still stand by my earlier statement that making $200k/year for working 4 days a week is above average….and not the norm for a new grad dentist. Any boss that pays a clueless new grad, who has no known previous work experience, $200k/year for working only 4 days/wk must be crazy person…..unless he’s in the area, where there is a shortage of DDS and the office has an unlimited supply of patients. With the new openings of new dental schools and expansions of corp offices, such area is not easy to find anymore. If it's so easy, I would strongly recommend dentistry to everyone even when they have to take out $5-600k loan.

If you read some of my past posts, you know that I one of the optimistic dentists on this forum. But I also respect the opinions of many pessimistic “doom and gloom” dentists on this board. They are not wrong about the oversaturation, the insurance pay cuts, the rapid rise in dental school tuitions etc. And now, the rapid rise in inflation rate (caused by this Covid pandemic) has made the matter worse. Nonetheless, I am still very optimistic about our dental profession. At least it's not completely taken over by big corps like pharmacy and optomentry. If you are willing to work hard and make sacrifices, you can have a very successful career wherever you set up your practice…..even in my great state, California. The reason I am hesitant to recommend dentistry to many young college kids is I am not sure if they are willing to make the same sacrifices that my wife and I made. I don’t know if they are ok with working on the weekends or not. I don’t earn a 7-figure income like Tanman and Coldfront but I’ve done very well. I think I am doing better than a lot of my colleagues who are practicing in less saturated states. Many of them still have to pay back the debts.
BINGO.

Out of 100 kids that graduated dental school probably only one or two like you. Gone are the days of working hard and saving money. It's all about living in the moment now. I see it first hand with my cousins lol (gen Z). Working hard on the weekends and living in the middle of nowhere to earn more money starting out is easier said than done.

I definitely think dentistry is still is an amazing career choice. But I wouldn't want to pursue it without any parents help/military/nhsc scholarship.

Hard work is a prerequisite, being flexible in going where the money's at is another. If you're going to accumulate that amount of debt, then you must be prepared to do what it takes.

I didn't net millions starting out but even in the first full year, I was netting at least 500. That's enough to take care of my student loans and get a house too. I don't think it's that bad unless you limit yourself in your ability to succeed. Instant gratification isn't off the table here. I started cheap, had no practice loans, got a house early on, got the cars I wanted, and so on... you're right though, life's too short to compromise. No point in getting a sports car in your 50s.

Another perpetuated myth is you have to work many hours to make lots of money. Totally untrue. You just have to be efficient and fast. Also, I grew up in a major city. It gets boring eventually, trust me. I like to live closer to an international airport hub so I have freedom to travel the world. Although, I do love LAX since they have private terminal options.

Anyway, you can still get instant gratification if you're willing to do what it takes to make the money.

This. I think most of us have some level of hard work instilled in us so that's not an issue. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten into dental school. Problem is being flexible lol.

Most of the answers said to me from others when I ask them these questions:

Would you join the military and payback only 4 years of your life in exchange for zero loans? nahhh... I ain't moving overseas or have the military send me on a ship, etc..

Would you join the NHSC and work in rural areas for only 4 years of your life in exchange for zero loans? nahhh I ain't living in ****ty rural areas...

It's amazing that you were able to net $500K minimum in your FIRST YEAR but I honestly don't know of anyone who did that in my class. Maybe if you have parents that own a PP for you to walk straight into? I still doubt they would be banking $500K though..

I think you are both an amazing clinician and businessman :)

I really like seeing positive views like yours and @charlestweed and also hate seeing the doom and gloom about dentistry on this website b/c it's simply not true for everyone.

This. I think most of us have some level of hard work instilled in us so that's not an issue. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten into dental school. Problem is being flexible lol.

Would you join the military and payback only 4 years of your life in exchange for zero loans? nahhh... I ain't moving overseas or have the military send me on a ship, etc..

Would you join the NHSC and work in rural areas for only 4 years of your life in exchange for zero loans? nahhh I ain't living in ****ty rural areas...

It's amazing that you were able to net $500K minimum in your FIRST YEAR but I honestly don't know of anyone who did that in my class. Maybe if you have parents that own a PP for you to walk straight into? I still doubt they would be banking $500K though..

I think you are both an amazing clinician and businessman :)

I really like seeing positive views like yours and @charlestweed and also hate seeing the doom and gloom about dentistry on this website b/c it's simply not true for everyone.
I agree with all of this. People in dental school are pretty spoiled and entitled. They think they deserve a mercedes and a 3500 square foot house pretty quick after graduation. They won’t say that but that’s what will end up happening with many of them. Heck some people in my class say they don’t even want to work. It’s stupid lol

BINGO.

Out of 100 kids that graduated dental school probably only one or two like you. Gone are the days of working hard and saving money. It's all about living in the moment now. I see it first hand with my cousins lol (gen Z). Working hard on the weekends and living in the middle of nowhere to earn more money starting out is easier said than done.

I definitely think dentistry is still is an amazing career choice. But I wouldn't want to pursue it without any parents help/military/nhsc scholarship.

Only way to go is military, NCHS, or you’re guaranteed to be grandfathered into a strong practice. Otherwise, there’s better opportunities.

If don’t have the geographic flexibility to move where the military or NHSC tells you for 4 years after school, you don’t don’t have the geographic flexibility to move to where you’ll crush it either.

Only way to go is military, NCHS, or you’re guaranteed to be grandfathered into a strong practice. Otherwise, there’s better opportunities.

If don’t have the geographic flexibility to move where the military or NHSC tells you for 4 years after school, you don’t don’t have the geographic flexibility to move to where you’ll crush it either.
Exactly my point

People say this all the time. But which professions are you talking about?
Real estate and IT mostly, but I'm sure I'm leaving out others. You can make a good six figure salary doing either of those things, and you don't have to go to school for 10 years and take massive debt with you along the way. I would still choose dentistry over those other fields though due to my masochistic nature

BINGO.

Thank you for the kind words. Actually, I was just like your cousins. I too wanted to drive nice car and live in a nice house as soon as possible. I wanted instant gratification. Life is too short. I didn’t want to wait to get a nice car until I am in my 50s. I chose to work on the weekends because I didn’t want to drive a Camry. When I was in HS and college, I delivered newspapers and worked as a busboy on the weekends. So it isn’t a big deal. Not having to face the heavy traffic problem on the weekends is a plus. Having Tues and Thurs off allows me to run errands because all the businesses are opened. I can go out with my wife and the restaurants are less busy on the weekdays. Since most of my patients prefer the weekend appointments, Saturdays and Sundays are my big money days.

Keep in mind ownership is not just about earning more. Someone alluded to this earlier, but as an associate you don't have control over the practice systems, what assistants you get, what materials/equipment you have, or what procedures you get to do. It may not seem like a big deal at first, but it can get frustrating very quickly. In my experience it was hard to find an associateship that had everything. My best role had all of these, was earning well, but owners tended to cherry pick cases and load my schedule with just fillings and srp, which got tiring after a while. My point is, its going to be difficult to find a perfect practice you can associate at for your entire career. You will have to adapt to these less ideal factors or keep bouncing around offices to find something ideal. Bear in mind, though, for private offices, if your boss knows you never want to own, they may eventually drop you in favor of someone who will eventually buy their practice.

I suppose one approach you could take is working with corporate and becoming an "owner" in their system. They can offer support in marketing/billing/HR, and you'll have more autonomy and income (probably not as much as a solo owner). They will still call many shots, but it might be a good way to balance your priorities and mitigate the risks I've mentioned above.

This is how a lot of "buy-ins" work, theyget you dependent on them and the promises of being an "owner". It's like being an "owner" in a timeshare - a lot of times its a scam and they just try an trap you into being a lifelong "owner-associate".

Are those numbers correct? That seems like an awful amount of work for not so much money. If it is true, I can count my blessings and be happy that I went into dentistry.

I think you are both an amazing clinician and businessman

Just to clarify, I net above 500k in the first year of practice, which took a little over a year of associating. The benefit was that I was able to save up enough cash to build the office from scratch without a practice loan. In my first year of associating, I think I made 250-350k+ from what I recall of my monthly checks (again, I'm not sure of exact figures since it's been so long). By our 4th month of opening, we were in the 100k/month territory and just went up from there.

If you ask me about the military or public health, I wouldn't even consider it unless I got equivalent pay with a lot less patients. Even the loan forgiveness appears paltry to the potential of being a practice owner. I don't think people should consider public health or the military option unless they had a passion for it. Loan forgiveness is tempting, but people can make a lot more by being a practice owner.

I agree with all of this. People in dental school are pretty spoiled and entitled. They think they deserve a mercedes and a 3500 square foot house pretty quick after graduation. They won’t say that but that’s what will end up happening with many of them. Heck some people in my class say they don’t even want to work. It’s stupid lol

People do deserve a mercedes and a 3500 sq foot home early on, that's why they worked hard in dental school, and they just need to work hard to get the lifestyle they think they deserve. There's no point in having a nice car and a large house when you're older, but of course, I always recommend prioritizing opening an office first. Once you have your office open, these material goods are easily attainable. Everyone and their mom seems to have a mercedes C-class or 3 series BMW (ugh). If you're going to be a dentist, aim higher.

Reactions: 3 users
This is how a lot of "buy-ins" work, theyget you dependent on them and the promises of being an "owner". It's like being an "owner" in a timeshare - a lot of times its a scam and they just try an trap you into being a lifelong "owner-associate".

Are those numbers correct? That seems like an awful amount of work for not so much money. If it is true, I can count my blessings and be happy that I went into dentistry.

Just to clarify, I net above 500k in the first year of practice, which took a little over a year of associating. The benefit was that I was able to save up enough cash to build the office from scratch without a practice loan. In my first year of associating, I think I made 250-350k+ from what I recall of my monthly checks (again, I'm not sure of exact figures since it's been so long). By our 4th month of opening, we were in the 100k/month territory and just went up from there.

If you ask me about the military or public health, I wouldn't even consider it unless I got equivalent pay with a lot less patients. Even the loan forgiveness appears paltry to the potential of being a practice owner. I don't think people should consider public health or the military option unless they had a passion for it. Loan forgiveness is tempting, but people can make a lot more by being a practice owner.

People do deserve a mercedes and a 3500 sq foot home early on, that's why they worked hard in dental school, and they just need to work hard to get the lifestyle they think they deserve. There's no point in having a nice car and a large house when you're older, but of course, I always recommend prioritizing opening an office first. Once you have your office open, these material goods are easily attainable. Everyone and their mom seems to have a mercedes C-class or 3 series BMW (ugh). If you're going to be a dentist, aim higher.
The guy I was in talks with to replace in his rural practice encouraged me to do the military route. I do regret it in some ways since I won’t be able to set up shop immediately. Perhaps minority ownership. I’m curious to what service members can achieve on the side while paying back their time

Dentistry is a good field dependent on how you get there. And what you do once you are there.

If you went into debt (500K plus) and plan on being an employee the rest of your life at a DSO/practice associateship .... then odds are you will be financially strained for many years.

But I've also known many dentists who made BIG MONEY working as an associate for DSOs. The orthodontist I replaced at my current place of employment (DSO) made a staggering amount of money. He worked for 5-6 days per week. I understand now why he never went into private practice. But these are hard working, exceptional dentists.

It goes both ways. Plenty of less than average dentists making less than average dentist money. I've known many private practice dentists who make average money. Just owning a private practice does not mean you will hit it big. It's a small business. Run it poorly and you will suffer financially. Like most small business' .... you will be at the mercy of economic conditions (Covid, recessions, etc. etc.) that you cannot control.

I've done fine in my life. But if I were to choose another path. Being a general dentist owner in a small community would be a desirable second choice. A simpler life outside the BS of large urban cities. Money would not be my primary choice. Living life would be.

The message here is clear. Don't go into dentistry with a large financial DS debt with plans on being an "associate". Just doesn't make sense.

Yes. These are numbers for my area (low COL, higher-than-average salaries). In more saturated areas EM can take home $250-$300k. Knock off 15-25% of these numbers for academic jobs. Some fellowships don't even make sense. Certain fellowships can result in LOWER salaries. For example, 3 years of internal medicine you can become a hospitalist working 7 12s on 7 off for $300k. If you do endocrinology or nephrology you'll make $250k AFTER while having invested a few more years as a fellow (being paid $80k). More competitive fellowships (cardio, GI, PCCM, heme-onc) pay around 600/500/400/400 but they're not guaranteed, more competitive, and some less prestigious residency programs will make you do an extra year of residency as an IM chief to boost your fellowship application.

From what I understand MOST dentists are only making $150-$200k, while you're an outlier making half a mill a year, that is not the case for most I presume?
I'm not sure about other dentists, but I am around 1.5 to 2MM at 30 hours a week, depending if you include some capital investments. That's pretax of course. Less work, less school, less pressure, and more money. What else can you ask for?

Yes. These are numbers for my area (low COL, higher-than-average salaries). In more saturated areas EM can take home $250-$300k. Knock off 15-25% of these numbers for academic jobs. Some fellowships don't even make sense. Certain fellowships can result in LOWER salaries. For example, 3 years of internal medicine you can become a hospitalist working 7 12s on 7 off for $300k. If you do endocrinology or nephrology you'll make $250k AFTER while having invested a few more years as a fellow (being paid $80k). More competitive fellowships (cardio, GI, PCCM, heme-onc) pay around 600/500/400/400 but they're not guaranteed, more competitive, and some less prestigious residency programs will make you do an extra year of residency as an IM chief to boost your fellowship application.

From what I understand MOST dentists are only making $150-$200k, while you're an outlier making half a mill a year, that is not the case for most I presume?
This question seems to be the crux of many discussions on this board. I don’t know a single owner who works at least 4 days a week that makes $150-200k (maybe according to their w-2 lol). The reality is those are early associate numbers a lot of places… why on earth would you deal with the headaches and risk of ownership for associate money? I will admit my contacts are mostly in the Midwest and none in super saturated major metros. But I was recently looking at practices to buy, so I’ve seen a fair amount of practice numbers (in multiple locales). Those are part-time owner numbers in competitive markets or those who are close to retirement and have given up lol. Every practice I was looking at the owners were doing atleast $300k+, many $400k+, and even some $500k+. $150-200k are associate numbers with less than 5 years of experience in most parts of the country.

I think the averages are always skewed due to all the part-time workers in dentistry and owners taking most of their compensation outside of salary. I also think there are a vocal minority of dentists in saturated areas that don’t know what it’s like beyond their major metro area.

Reactions: 4 users
Would you say dentistry attracts more people who greatly value lifestyle over other factors? And are more likely to retire/work part time than their physician counterparts? I was recently at a DS for some treatment and half a dozen students told me they wish they did med school but I feel like it's the "its always greener on the other side" and they don't know what they don't know and how brutal medicine can be
I felt this way in school because you guys have cush schedules, studying in coffee shops and listening to recorded lectures. Even in your clinical years you don't really experience the stress of performance while caring for patients. Medical school gets an A+ for lifestyle.

Would you say dentistry attracts more people who greatly value lifestyle over other factors? And are more likely to retire/work part time than their physician counterparts? I was recently at a DS for some treatment and half a dozen students told me they wish they did med school but I feel like it's the "its always greener on the other side" and they don't know what they don't know and how brutal medicine can be
Absolutely. That was one of my main reasons… my father was a physician who worked weekends regularly. Dentistry also attracts those who are a bit more entrepreneurial on average compared to Med school I would think. Much higher chance of owning your own business in dentistry. I always wanted to be in healthcare. Dentistry offered me a shorter path with easier hours and more autonomy. And from my perspective, better pay per hour generally speaking. Most definitely in my case as an owner dentist who works 30 hours a week.

I'm not sure about other dentists, but I am around 1.5 to 2MM at 30 hours a week, depending if you include some capital investments. That's pretax of course. Less work, less school, less pressure, and more money. What else can you ask for?
I'm assuming you have multiple practices right?

Would you guys agree that dentistry as a profession offers a better lifestyle/work-life balance on average? Disregarding the schooling part of your life. I see stuff about dentists working 6 days a week now… but that could be dentists working to pay off loans?

And here I thought I needed to go OMFS and have a wizzy factory to pull numbers like that.
Dont fool yourself Tanman is an outlier, making 1.5 to 2 milli even pretax put him into a very small select group of docs doing these number in a single GP office.

Would you guys agree that dentistry as a profession offers a better lifestyle/work-life balance on average? Disregarding the schooling part of your life. I see stuff about dentists working 6 days a week now… but that could be dentists working to pay off loans?
Dentist lie. They only count their clinical time as working. So if you own a business and provide patient care Monday - Thursday you say you work 4 days we week and forget that you run payroll and go shopping for the business on Friday, and handle calls or go to the office to fix something on Saturday etc.

The work life balance that is typical for most small business owners is the same for dentists with the added stress that if you take a vacation your business basically stops generating revenue while the bills keep coming.

Dentist lie. They only count their clinical time as working. So if you own a business and provide patient care Monday - Thursday you say you work 4 days we week and forget that you run payroll and go shopping for the business on Friday, and handle calls or go to the office to fix something on Saturday etc.

The work life balance that is typical for most small business owners is the same for dentists with the added stress that if you take a vacation your business basically stops generating revenue while the bills keep coming.
Proper delegation and solid systems in place really help reduce the extra work. What you are saying is fair to a degree, however, I feel like you are over exaggerating the negatives of the work life balance. Though I suppose it’s different for everyone. I work less hours (total, including administrative duties) as an owner than I did as an associate and make about double. Plus more favorable taxes to boot! Are you an owner yourself?

You probably wouldn't consider military/public health back then when tuition was relatively low and salary was pretty similar if not higher than today with less saturation of dentists. Typical grad now will owe $300k-400k MINIMUM if taking out full loans. Most are in the $500k-$600k range and that's a mountain to climb. Now ask a new grad if they are willing to take on another $400-500k practice loan. That's super risky.

You can still open up a practice later after the military/public health. You are not required to stay there forever.

I agree dentists do have a penchant for exaggeration, when I look back to March 2020, I found it interesting to see many of the same dentists on FB investment groups, who just prior to COVID said how highly successful and profitable their practices were along with the success of all their midas touch with investments. Well come COVID many were quit panicked and seem to be shocked to hear that they should have 3 months of emergency expenses at least for both personal and business, they said it wasnt possible to have this. Considering the practice gross of many of these practices touted and take homes, you would have thought they should have sailed the pandemic with no concerns.

You probably wouldn't consider military/public health back then when tuition was relatively low and salary was pretty similar if not higher than today with less saturation of dentists. Typical grad now will owe $300k-400k MINIMUM if taking out full loans. Most are in the $500k-$600k range and that's a mountain to climb. Now ask a new grad if they are willing to take on another $400-500k practice loan. That's super risky.

You can still open up a practice later after the military/public health. You are not required to stay there forever.

That's crazy to take out a practice loan that big. New grads can start a practice much cheaper without paying a massive dental tax. I spent a little over 100k in my startup with 6 rooms. I feel the lost lifetime average income from being in the military and public health is far greater than what is gained with the forgiveness of a 500k loan.

I agree dentists do have a penchant for exaggeration, when I look back to March 2020, I found it interesting to see many of the same dentists on FB investment groups, who just prior to COVID said how highly successful and profitable their practices were along with the success of all their midas touch with investments. Well come COVID many were quit panicked and seem to be shocked to hear that they should have 3 months of emergency expenses at least for both personal and business, they said it wasnt possible to have this. Considering the practice gross of many of these practices touted and take homes, you would have thought they should have sailed the pandemic with no concerns.

Did they panic because of covid or did they panic because of the performance of their office and investments? I know we picked up a lot of patients since the covid-paranoid and older dentists scaled down a lot and we ended up taking their patients. The good news was that people were really resistant to lockdowns and it's that vocal minority that's scaring people. Thankfully, I don't cater as much to kids or older people, but I know offices that cater a lot to older people seemed to get hit harder. We found the pandemic was overall a boom for us in 2021, except in Q4 where we had a strong dip and the stupid 5 week lockdown from march 20 - april 30 (of 2020) which resulted in a close to 40% drop. I put some of my numbers up in another thread for 2021.

• Love
That's crazy to take out a practice loan that big. New grads can start a practice much cheaper without paying a massive dental tax. I spent a little over 100k in my startup with 6 rooms. I feel the lost lifetime average income from being in the military and public health is far greater than what is gained with the forgiveness of a 500k loan.

Did they panic because of covid or did they panic because of the performance of their office and investments? I know we picked up a lot of patients since the covid-paranoid and older dentists scaled down a lot and we ended up taking their patients. The good news was that people were really resistant to lockdowns and it's that vocal minority that's scaring people. Thankfully, I don't cater as much to kids or older people, but I know offices that cater a lot to older people seemed to get hit harder. We found the pandemic was overall a boom for us in 2021, except in Q4 where we had a strong dip and the stupid 5 week lockdown from march 20 - april 30 (of 2020) which resulted in a close to 40% drop. I put some of my numbers up in another thread for 2021.
Alot of the panic was from realizing they were going to be out of incomes for a bit of time so because of the drop in income from lack of pffice production and drop in investments simultaneously, these were individuals I watched who from previous statements were 100% stocks with no bonds because they knew they could handle the volatility, and in previous statements said it it was dumb to have any sort of emergency funds etc, so it was an eye opener to see people who run seminars on successful practices panick at being closed for 2 months.

Dont fool yourself Tanman is an outlier, making 1.5 to 2 milli even pretax put him into a very small select group of docs doing these number in a single GP office.
He said he works 30 hours a week, one practice, bread and butter dentistry no fancy full arch cases or whatever on another thread. I would think you would have to be churning such incredible volume of restorations, crowns, and endo in a day.

Alot of the panic was from realizing they were going to be out of incomes for a bit of time so because of the drop in income from lack of pffice production and drop in investments simultaneously, these were individuals I watched who from previous statements were 100% stocks with no bonds because they knew they could handle the volatility, and in previous statements said it it was dumb to have any sort of emergency funds etc, so it was an eye opener to see people who run seminars on successful practices panick at being closed for 2 months.

Lol that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Unless the income and cash flows are consistent monthly, emergency funds and reserves are definitely needed to help smooth out the seasonal highs and lows. Even for someone as aggressive as myself, I'd think they know that their workforce would leave them in a heartbeat if they can't feed their families.

Proper delegation and solid systems in place really help reduce the extra work. What you are saying is fair to a degree, however, I feel like you are over exaggerating the negatives of the work life balance. Though I suppose it’s different for everyone. I work less hours (total, including administrative duties) as an owner than I did as an associate and make about double. Plus more favorable taxes to boot! Are you an owner yourself?
I don’t own a practice right now. I do run a small business in addition to my associateship.

It’s hard to imagine working less as an owner than an as an associate. Chair side work is almost always reduced, but other responsibilities increase exponentially and we often don’t count them. For example - just going to a local networking event or a dinner with local business owners is time on the clock. Same with any meeting or club or whatever you’re involved in to stay in front of people in your community for the business’ benefit. It all counts as hours in the business and we frequently leave them out when talking to others about how much we work.

People tend to spend the money they have, dentists included.