Advice for overseas dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marwah Saleh

Reaction score
Hi
I am an overseas dentist and i want to move to the USA. I found several dentist jobs in michigan, florida and Georgia. Kindly can you give me advice whether one city is better than the other? Also how much is the acceptable average salary of a dentist in the USA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am an overseas dentist and i want to move to the USA. I found several dentist jobs in michigan, florida and Georgia. Kindly can you give me advice whether one city is better than the other? Also how much is the acceptable average salary of a dentist in the USA?

First of all, are you going to be able to get a license to work as a dentist the US? It could be a challenging process for foreign dentists except for those from Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful with jobs tied to a visa.
If you are a "guest worker" and your employer is your sponsor you can be taken advantage of by said sponsor.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, are you going to be able to get a license to work as a dentist the US? It could be a challenging process for foreign dentists except for those from Canada.
Thank you very much for your reponse. Yes i am going to apply for getting a license. I understand that it is a challenging process.

Be careful with jobs tied to a visa.
If you are a "guest worker" and your employer is your sponsor you can be taken advantage of by said sponsor.
Thank you very much for your fast response. Can you explain a little bit. If the job is tied to a visa then i cannot leave it if i am not comfortable. Is this what you mean?

Thank you very much for your reponse. Yes i am going to apply for getting a license. I understand that it is a challenging process.
I just wanted to chime in and emphasize just how challenging of a process this can be. It's not as simple as applying for a license – there's several exams, further schooling, and location limitations for where you can practice with a non-North American dental education. You shouldn't be thinking about location for dental jobs yet – think about getting into a program that you have to complete before applying for a license. Look into the exams that are required as well (such as the INBDE). There's an international dentists forum on this website that you should look through.

For you to be able to practice in the US you either have to repeat two years of dental school, or work under a limited license which has a lot of its' own limitations or do a residency.
I don't think you can simply "apply for a job" without getting certified first.
A basic salary for a starting dentist is around 120k
Hope this helps.