Is anyone here in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

This is my first attempt at applying to medical school. I have been accepted to 2 places but it looks like I may not be able to attend either because my husband cannot find a job in either of the two locations. I am unsure that I will get any more interviews, let alone offers this year.

My questions:
Has anyone else gone through a similar situation?
What did you end up doing the next year?
How do adcoms view re-applicants who appear to have nothing "wrong" with their application? Do they assume that I did not get accepted at any schools in the previes year and then had to reapply for that reason? If they assume that I'm reapplying because I couldn't get accepted anywhere, could they then assume that there IS something "wrong" with me that my application doesn't show, making that the justification for my previous rejections? In my mind this could be a huge set-back (or am I being too extreme?).

I'm just feeling very sad and unsure about this and any advice would be very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you defer one of those acceptances to give your husband a year to find a job in that location?

Congrats on your acceptance! I would defer a year to see if your husband can find a job near one of the schools. This leaves the issue of which offer to accept and which to decline, however. I don't have any advice for that situation, unfortunately. Best of luck in trying to work things out, and good luck to your husband in job-hunting.

Cheers,
KJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I have been in that boat and quite frankly in sucks. I gave up an acceptance 2 years ago to an out-of-state school because my husband couldn't get a job there and I thought for sure my state school would clear me off the waitlist. WRONG. I stayed on the waitlist all summer until I was rejected August 12.

By that time it was too late to get my acceptance back so I was out of luck and kicking myself and feeling hurt and angry and sad and.................etc.

This time we decided early on if he can't get a job we would split my family and I would move to the new city with our 8 year old daughter and he would live with our 16 year old son and we would see each other on weekends. It would really really stink to have to do that. Luckily he may have a job in the new city, so we may be moving together, but that is still up in the air.

Do you have kids? If not, it should be easier to handle the seperation? How long have you been married? It will be 20 years for us this year, so it wouldn't be as hard on us as someone who is recently married.

My advice...... An acceptance may not come your way again. You should take this one and hope for the best. Your husband could start looking now and still would have 6 months to find something. Alot of schools won't let you defer, perhaps you could try. It doesn't hurt to ask them. I know I was too embarassed to reapply to the school where I got my acceptance and turned them down.

I really wish you luck. Follow your heart, but keep your dream of being a doctor alive and well also. What would you feel like if you gave up these acceptances, reapplied and was turned down? How would you feel? How would you feel towards your husband? How would it affect your relationship? Just some things to keep in mind.

Good luck. PM me if you want to.

First of all, disclaimer: I'm not married and I don't have kids (take this with a grain of salt:) ). I think that you should take one of the acceptances (whichever is the better fit for you and more likely for you husband to find a job). Then for him to continue looking for a job around the school, if he can't find one before school starts. Also, alot of things can happen in the time between now and the start of school. But, once you give up an acceptance, it is virtually impossible to get it back.