Is a PharmD still considered a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol she’s got an awful lot of passion, and opinion, for someone who is not a pharmacist...
Careful mcpickle could still be around

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Lol she’s got an awful lot of passion, and opinion, for someone who is not a pharmacist...

I attribute that to an awful lot of insecurity and needing validation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And I will happily be correcting the people who refuse to call me by the title I worked so hard to obtain. Aren't you an "Optometrist"? Go find your niche.
and you will get laughed out of the room. The only people that call me doctor are students, who I immediately correct. There are many "doctors" in a hospital. NP, OT, PT, etc - NONE OF THEM CALL THEMSELVES DOCTOR. Heck - 90% of the time I don't call the physicians I work with doctor - I call them by their first name or a nickname that they go by. Get over yourself - not to sound rude - but seriously

heck seriously one physician I work with specifically told me to NOT call her doctor because it is too formal and we are "friends"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Attention to all who have an issue with what I said...

Some of you educated people must not know what an opinion is. Sheesh, a Queen can't speak her mind without the backlash? You all had your opinions and stated it as I have said mine. I am not wrong and neither are you. If you choose not to call yourself a doctor, that is your decision. But I will choose to call myself one because it IS correct to say in terms of degree-holding.

Each to their own. Learn that. Now, I won't respond to you all individually, but I will continue to stick around on this thread because I keep being quoted and, by the looks of it, people are dying for a reply. It's good to see that this has got you all talking and doing something productive!

giphy.gif

Some of you educated people must not know what an opinion is. Sheesh, a Queen can't speak her mind without the backlash? You all had your opinions and stated it as I have said mine. I am not wrong and neither are you. If you choose not to call yourself a doctor, that is your decision. But I will choose to call myself one because it IS correct to say in terms of degree-holding.

Each to their own. Learn that. Now, I won't respond to you all individually, but I will continue to stick around on this thread because I keep being quoted and, by the looks of it, people are dying for a reply. It's good to see that this has got you all talking and doing something productive!

giphy.gif

Lol! I didn’t know you could center the text!

Haha!

Well anyways. Good for you Queen Dr. Chicpharmdee.

Long live the Queen Dr. Chicpharmdee!​

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Maybe wait until you have your pharmD first?

In that case, I’ll go by Student Doctor [Network, haha.] and/or Student Pharmacist.

You’ve been trying to change my opinion for a while now. I fear that you do this on other threads. Since we’re talking about maybes, maybe you should give your argument a break?

Last edited:
In that case, I’ll go by Student Doctor [Network, haha.] and/or Student Pharmacist.

You’ve been trying to change my opinion for a while now. I fear that you do this on other threads. Since we’re talking about maybes, maybe you should give your argument a break?

This is the internet. The argument never ends here.

wow, so much negativity...in the hospital I've seen pharmacists introduced as "hello, this is Dr.Smith, the pharmacist/discharge pharmacist" etc..."he/ she will go over this and that...". In retail they are just called "the pharmacist". In case of the plane questions, you would say yes, because all healthcare workers are trained in basic life support and CPR, all pharmacists are trained in advanced life support pharmacotherapy assuming there is a crash cart on the plane, you can also chose to be trained in intubation as part of the ACLS certification but I don't know if they have that on the plane...does it really matter, though, if someone calls you Dr. or not? I think its more important for you to love your job whatever it is and be able to balance it with your life and your family

Members don't see this ad :)
I can already see ChicPharmDee's future now. She'll try to land a residency position and try to finish a PGY2 for more credentials then when she is done, she will introduce herself as an unemployed doctor with lots of student loans.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I can already see ChicPharmDee's future now. She'll try to land a residency position and try to finish a PGY2 for more credentials then when she is done, she will introduce herself as an unemployed doctor with lots of student loans.
Where I'm going no one will call me doctor :)

wow, so much negativity...in the hospital I've seen pharmacists introduced as "hello, this is Dr.Smith, the pharmacist/discharge pharmacist" etc..."he/ she will go over this and that...". In retail they are just called "the pharmacist". In case of the plane questions, you would say yes, because all healthcare workers are trained in basic life support and CPR, all pharmacists are trained in advanced life support pharmacotherapy assuming there is a crash cart on the plane, you can also chose to be trained in intubation as part of the ACLS certification but I don't know if they have that on the plane...does it really matter, though, if someone calls you Dr. or not? I think its more important for you to love your job whatever it is and be able to balance it with your life and your family

100% agreed. It doesn't really matter—It's about preference, really. I love where I am heading and what plan on doing with my career as a pharmacist to be. The rest under this thread are all just discouraging. Unemployment, loans, dissatisfaction... It happens everywhere. I don't think any of that was necessary in adding to this thread, but it was. I truly agree with what you said. Thank you for attempting to make sense of this!

Last edited:
  • Haha
If someone graduates from a Doctor of Pharmacy school, are they still called ‘Doctor’?
Doctor is a title for pharmacist but they are not physicians.
They should actually be called pharmacist, not doctors.

Doctor is a title for pharmacist but they are not physicians.
They should actually be called pharmacist, not doctors.

This is not why we do not go by the term doctor

100% agreed. It doesn't really matter—It's about preference, really.
There are settings where only physicians are allowed to be called by the honorific. In our hospital it is strictly against policy for anyone else to introduce themselves as "Doctor" or for anyone to refer to them as such. Their title (Pharmacist, Nurse, Nurse practitioner...) must be displayed in large font on their tag as well.
Whereas I call PhD's (and anyone with a doctorate) "Dr. Anyone" when outside the hospital, we are not permitted to do so in the hospital, in our clinics or anywhere patients are being seen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
There are settings where only physicians are allowed to be called by the honorific. In our hospital it is strictly against policy for for anyone else to introduce themselves as "Doctor" or for anyone to refer to them as such. Their title (Pharmacist, Nurse, Nurse practitioner...) must be displayed in large font on their tag as well.
Whereas I call PhD's (and anyone with a doctorate) "Dr. Anyone" when outside the hospital, we are not permitted to do so in the hospital, in our clinics or anywhere patients are being seen.

Thank you @gyngyn !!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

giphy.gif

call yourself whatever you want. Your a pharmacist.

• Haha
*Pharmacist-To-Be-Unemployed

Unemployment is everywhere, especially in this economy. It happens in nursing, education... Name a field and it’s there. Nothing new. So... Next. If you don’t like what I’m saying, then why do you still reply? You can block me as well.

At this point, I’m convinced that you guys are looking for something to argue about. To the same four people waiting for a response, give this thread a break.

Student Pharmacist.
Pharmacist-To-Be. And I’m the condescending one. You can block me already.

Not sure what you mean, I never said you were condescending? Or did I say something condescending? I only see facts in this thread.

Unemployment is everywhere, especially in this economy. It happens in nursing, education... Name a field and it’s there. Nothing new.
To be fair, you can't really compare pharmacy to most professions. If you do just look at this at a superficial level, you are just coping.

Unemployment is everywhere, especially in this economy. It happens in nursing, education... Name a field and it’s there. Nothing new. So... Next. If you don’t like what I’m saying, then why do you still reply? You can block me as well.

At this point, I’m convinced that you guys are looking for something to argue about. To the same four people waiting for a response, give this thread a break.

It's funny you mention nursing first. You do know that's one health profession that is least likely to be unemployed ?

And just like that...this thread has been revived through the troughs of the internet.....

At least new points have been shed to light at one degree or another. I'll piggy back off @gyngyn

I've been in level 1 trauma centers (mostly at the DOD level as a vault tech) of which a "localized" team joint committee can give you a write up if you try to correct a patient to actually call you "doctor." The reasoning behind some of this is an increase in over-riding prescription corrections with Patient Safety Data Sheets that are updated monthly in each department. These happen because too many people tie in the title "Doctor" as one who has prescription authority. This causes confusion to the patient and more so to other pharmacists who try to call and track down these "other doctors" that changed or altered a patients new medication regimen (or so it would seem).

Again, a pharmacist is indeed a Doctor in the sense of having a doctorate degree and I can understand the want to be called doctor. I am not in favor though of "correcting" a patient to call me doctor.

Ignoring and unwatching this thread. It has turned extremely negative and that's probably what some of you might know. You know you're that chick when you cause all this conversation...

On that ChicPharmDee is ouuuut! Good luck with all your future endeavors as doctors!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignoring and unwatching this thread. It has turned extremely negative and that's probably what some of you might know. You know you're that chick when you cause all this conversation...

On that ChicPharmDee is ouuuut! Good luck with all your future endeavors as doctors!

Don't think there are any doctors in this thread.

How do you downvote a post?

on paper...yes. In my opinion its just another way for schools to charge an exorbitant amount for a degree that was a bachelors by adding in some nonsense classes.

on paper...yes. In my opinion its just another way for schools to charge an exorbitant amount for a degree that was a bachelors by adding in some nonsense classes.

5 year bachelors = not a doctor

6 year doctorate with some added BS classes = call me doctor cause I worked hard for it!

• Haha
You can just pick from this list of 30 Easiest Online Doctorate Programs for 2019. Complete one of the programs and voila! You can call yourself Doctor.

• Love
You can just pick from this list of 30 Easiest Online Doctorate Programs for 2019. Complete one of the programs and voila! You can call yourself Doctor.

There is a PhD in communications? That actually sounds like a great degree to be recognized as a doctor. "Speak to me, I'm a doctor. It's my job to communicate with you"

If someone graduates from a Doctor of Pharmacy school, are they still called ‘Doctor’?

No, only a foolish pharmacist with a OUT OF CONTROL EGO would ever be address as a "Doctor". Most pharmacist are treated like fastfood workers. So STFU and count/fill to met your metrics. Also, get me my god damn happy meal...I mean norco while you are at it and call me when it is ready to be picked up, I'll be in the store waiting and don't make me come back and demand it again.

Again, it would be embarrassing to be called a doctor with this degree. When I say "doctor", it is only to a person I actually respect.

Pharmacy is the one of the few, if not the only profession which you:

Hold no better job security compared to the average bachelors' degree holder

Get treated like a fast food worker and get ordered around by somoene with only a high school or associates level education

THIS!

This entire thread reminds me of another thread I read a few years back concerning whether or not someone with PhD in Nursing should call or address themselves as doctors to patients :D

Yeah. You’re technically a doctor with a PharmD. See, there’s a D at the end!

But let’s be real. No pharmacist in their right mind demands to be called doctor. It’s the douchiest possible request; you don’t want to be that PharmD. Some people “in the know” might call you doctor out of respect now and then, but it’s not something you want to be asking people to do. In patient care areas it’s better if you don’t due to the risk of patient confusion.

Only two groups of people ever call me doctor today:
-my school, when trying to get me to join the alumni association
-my own doctor, trying to flatter me so I give them good scores when I get my Press-Ganey survey (they don’t need to do this and I’ve told them so; my doctors have been generally awesome and I always give them great scores)

Only two groups of people ever call me doctor today:
-my school, when trying to get me to join the alumni association
-my own doctor, trying to flatter me so I give them good scores when I get my Press-Ganey survey (they don’t need to do this and I’ve told them so; my doctors have been generally awesome and I always give them great scores)

And drug reps

• Haha
I've been called doctor only when teaching, at conferences or by people soliciting donations. So unless I am at a conference or in a classroom, if you call me Doctor, I instantly get suspicious! :laugh: