Is a PharmD still considered a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If someone graduates from a Doctor of Pharmacy school, are they still called ‘Doctor’?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have never called a pharmacist a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy is the one of the few, if not the only profession which you:

Graduate with doctorate level loans and hold doctorate level responsibilities and liability

Hold no better job security compared to the average bachelors' degree holder

Get treated like a fast food worker and get ordered around by somoene with only a high school or associates level education

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
Technically the license is a doctorate level. So yes.

However, in practice pharmacist generally prefer first names.
Doctor title is used nore often in the academic setting.

On another note, there are some medical doctors who are changing their title to "physician" for clarity because "doctors" are being overused in so many ways that it is way too hard to differentiate. Yes im talking about pt, nps who are doctors, audiologist ect.

• Haha
If a pharmacist calls themselves doctor in a hospital, I guarantee the physicians, PAs and nurses will insist on NOT calling them doctor to avoid confusion about who will treat patients.

This physical therapist called herself doctor and it took the physicians, PAs and nurses hours to figure out who this new doctor was. The nurses response was "oh so you're not a real doctor".

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Yes, but no intelligent person would call them that in a retail or clinical setting. Even pharmacists don't call themselves doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
pharmacists are doctors of the drive through in retail and doctors of powerpoint in hospital

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The pharmacy profession used to be very respectable.... (sigh)

Last edited:
  • Haha
You want to style around a hospital as a doctor....better be up on your advanced life support...

so when you are on an airplane and a flight attendant asks, "Is there a doctor on board?" Do you have to answer to that call or do you say nothing?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so when you are on an airplane and a flight attendant asks, "Is there a doctor on board?" Do you have to answer to that call or do you say nothing?
IM DEADDDD :laugh:

Yes, but no intelligent person would call them that in a retail or clinical setting. Even pharmacists don't call themselves doctor.
I have seen pharmacists call themselves doctors in a primary care/ambulatory care setting to patients. Definitely not Retail nor Hospital.

I have seen pharmacists call themselves doctors in a primary care/ambulatory care setting to patients. Definitely not Retail nor Hospital.
Because they want to self-validate themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems to me that everyone wanna be doctors without having to go to medical schools? By everyone, I mean nurses, PT, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, etc.... Is it that the people wanting doctor titles or that schools are making things up to justify higher tuition and more years in schools?

I mean, I don't see anything good for coming out of this inflation of degrees and titles. Are the jobs really much different now (vs before doctor degrees) that require more schooling/training?

• Love
still this situation is mostly in healthcare (other being law). Hope we will not see doctors things infecting other fields (e.g. engineering, computer science, accounting, etc). But given this trend, that would be next when schools are done squeezing the last drop from healthcare. Soon, everyone is a doctor!

It seems to me that everyone wanna be doctors without having to go to medical schools? By everyone, I mean nurses, PT, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, etc.... Is it that the people wanting doctor titles or that schools are making things up to justify higher tuition and more years in schools?

I mean, I don't see anything good for coming out of this inflation of degrees and titles. Are the jobs really much different now (vs before doctor degrees) that require more schooling/training?
Did you not call your professors in undergrad and graduate school Dr. Something?

Did you not call your professors in undergrad and graduate school Dr. Something?

well, I was not talking about academia. In academia, a PhD or a doctorate is generally required for the job of a professor. Students address them as "Doctor" only in that setting.

but I think you know what I meant in my previous posts. Pharmacy specifically, you think a PharmD is really needed to perform current pharmacist job or a BSPharm is just fine?

I know many working retail and clinical pharmacists who are BSPharm and they are just working as fine and as knowledgeable as any PharmD. I read on this forum that extra year for PharmD is mostly about looking up clinical guidelines and Lexicomp and doing presentations that nobody actually cares about. I mean I do not think customers at Walgreens or CVS need a pharmacist to perform a presentation on them, right? While that might be oversimplified, there is some truth I guess. Nobody calls pharmacists "doctor" because a doctor degree here is not really needed for the job. The point is that who came up with this PharmD idea which gave the basic for schools to capitalize on and now the saturation situation? Following the money (motives) tells me that schools are the one that scam everyone as it is very obvious (to me) that they are the only one that is walking away with money to the bank.

Last edited:
well, I was not talking about academia. In academia, a PhD or a doctorate is generally required for the job of a professor. Students address them as "Doctor" only in that setting.

but I think you know what I meant in my previous posts. Pharmacy specifically, you think a PharmD is really needed to perform current pharmacist job or a BSPharm is just fine?

I know many working retail and clinical pharmacists who are BSPharm and they are just working as fine and as knowledgeable as any PharmD. I read on this forum that extra year for PharmD is mostly about looking up clinical guidelines and Lexicomp and doing presentations that nobody actually cares about. I mean I do not think customers at Walgreens or CVS need a pharmacist to perform a presentation on them, right? While that might be oversimplified, there is some truth I guess. Nobody calls pharmacists "doctor" because a doctor degree here is not really needed for the job. The point is that who came up with this PharmD idea which gave the basic for schools to capitalize on and now the saturation situation? Following the money (motives) tells me that schools are the one that scam everyone as it is very obvious (to me) that they are the only one that is walking away with money to the bank.
I still addressed my professors as Dr. Something when I saw them outside of school. I even call other people with a PhD Dr. Something when introducing myself to them. I call my dentist Dr. something, I call my sister's optometrist Dr. Something, I even say I want a Dr. Pepper when I want to drink it.
I would honestly feel safer if the pharmacist who is counseling me got a doctorate degree, although I don't call them Dr. Something. Otherwise I would just go online myself to check with web MD. Also, would you address a pharmacist as Dr. in the academic setting?

I still addressed my professors as Dr. Something when I saw them outside of school. I even call other people with a PhD Dr. Something when introducing myself to them. I call my dentist Dr. something, I call my sister's optometrist Dr. Something, I even say I want a Dr. Pepper when I want to drink it.
I would honestly feel safer if the pharmacist who is counseling me got a doctorate degree, although I don't call them Dr. Something. Otherwise I would just go online myself to check with web MD. Also, would you address a pharmacist as Dr. in the academic setting?

sometimes I realize that I just can't win... You win!

I think that health care professionals should afford each other all due respect, and I did hear of a pilot study at a JPS hospital where patient outcomes showed improvement when all members of the treatment team intentionally addressed one another on a 1st name basis instead of by title. However, it irks me when I see someone who is technically a doctor use the term as a means of trying to pass themselves off as a medical doctor for the purposes of selling something. The shelves of Barnes and Noble are full of people with people holding EdD's that constantly refer to themselves at "Dr. SoAndSo" as a means to make people think they are reading medical advice from a licensed physician. We make attorneys print "not certified by the board of xxx" and I feel like if you are giving medical advice in a printed book that you should be required to have some disclaimer.

sometimes I realize that I just can't win... You win!
lol, way to be passive aggressive and what are you talking about? I just told you I don't call my pharmacist a doctor but would like to see they got a doctorate degree just to make me feel better. Its like the difference between seeing a chef pretend to wash his hands versus seeing a chef just walk straight out the bathroom. Also, I didn't realize this was a debate you could win. I was literally just stating what I do and questioning you.

lol, way to be passive aggressive and what are you talking about? I just told you I don't call my pharmacist a doctor but would like to see they got a doctorate degree just to make me feel better. Its like the difference between seeing a chef pretend to wash his hands versus seeing a chef just walk straight out the bathroom. Also, I didn't realize this was a debate you could win. I was literally just stating what I do and questioning you.

ah... the Socratic method... thumbs up!

so the PharmD degree is like a chef pretending to wash his hands in the bathroom to make you feel better, right? lol.

ah... the Socratic method... thumbs up!

so the PharmD degree is like a chef pretending to wash his hands in the bathroom to make you feel better, right? lol.
Yes.... That's why I said it.... I really don't understand what you are trying to say to me here. Do I have to hold your hand and walk you through this? I think we are both on the same page but you seem to think I am arguing against you or something. I am not saying the work is invalid, I am saying the title doesn't matter since we don't address them as such but would feel better if they did obtain that title through hard work.

Yes.... That's why I said it.... I really don't understand what you are trying to say to me here. Do I have to hold your hand and walk you through this? I think we are both on the same page but you seem to think I am arguing against you or something. I am not saying the work is invalid, I am saying the title doesn't matter since we don't address them as such but would feel better if they did obtain that title through hard work.

sorry buddy, I guess it is what is called "friendly fire". I did not really watch, lol

That's exactly what I thought when all of my classmates started calling themselves Dr on graduation day

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You might as well just go become a Store or District Manager for one of the pharmacy chains. What more bragging rights do you have when you get to order around doctorate degree holders while you hold only a high school diploma?

You might as well just go become a Store or District Manager for one of the pharmacy chains. What more bragging rights do you have when you get to order around doctorate degree holders while you hold only a high school diploma?

It's hilarious when they give customers a gift card to apologize for pharmacists who won't fill their controls early.

I have a PhD and a PharmD, still sign my notes ‘RPH’.

why are people so work up about the title, there are professions that make way more money and way more respected and they are not doctors

Yes, I'm sure the flight attendant will be thrilled when Doctor Art Historian Ph.D. answers the call. "Doctor" is a general term, but context is everything. I think most people can assume from the context of the situation, if they should not identify themselves as a doctor, to avoid being confused with a medical doctor. And that definitely means healthcare settings.

The replies to this thread are so funny... Because when spelled out, PharmD is called the Doctor of Pharmacy. It is a doctorate level degree. People choose not to read the first word because they're disrespectful and want hierarchy.

Now, this does not apply in the same context as a Doctor of Education or a Doctor of Philosophy because those professionals have zero training in healthcare. They most definitely will not be the kind of doctor to save a life on a plane as someone under this thread tried to used as an example.

To all the negative folk on here that are so strung out on the PharmD title, get a life. These are the same bitter people that are on other posts, discouraging others and spreading negativity about Pharmacy. #WeGood.

They are but no one ever calls them doctor. Except pharmacy professors and some preceptors. They get super offended when they aren't referred to as doctor.

Of course they would get offended. Because people refuse to call them by their title. :rolleyes:

The replies to this thread are so funny... Because when spelled out, PharmD is called the Doctor of Pharmacy. It is a doctorate level degree. People choose not to read the first word because they're disrespectful and want hierarchy.

Now, this does not apply in the same context as a Doctor of Education or a Doctor of Philosophy because those professionals have zero training in healthcare. They most definitely will not be the kind of doctor to save a life on a plane as someone under this thread tried to used as an example.

To all the negative folk on here that are so strung out on the PharmD title, get a life. These are the same bitter people that are on other posts, discouraging others and spreading negativity about Pharmacy. #WeGood.

Will Doctors of pharmacy save a life on a plane?

• Haha
I think I'm starting to spot a future Pharmacist who will get upset when the patient doesn't address them as Doctor when they stop by to pick up their meds at Walgreens....That'll be pleasant for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
And I will happily be correcting the people who refuse to call me by the title I worked so hard to obtain. Aren't you an "Optometrist"? Go find your niche.

• Haha
And I will happily be correcting the people who refuse to call me by the title I worked so hard to obtain. Aren't you an "Optometrist"? Go find your niche.

Do you work in a hospital? I guarantee if you insist on calling yourself doctor, the nurses, physicians, and PAs will say "oh so you're not a real doctor".

• Haha
Sounds like you'll be very happy because you'll be doing it every day...if you can find a job when you are done with school. And I don't care if someone calls me by my name or Doctor. I get paid the same either way.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel I should have a input here chic, no one in my class of LIU which happens to be the school you are going to refer themselves as Doctors, your professor Gonzalez will tell you the same thing. And he is the one in the broad of pharmacy and does compounding.
I happen to be your alumni if you are going to LIU. no one in the school has the ambition to be a doctor. And now Im working with people who make more than Doctors and the title is useless to them.There are so many vice presidents in banks, executive chefs and executive sales managers, its titles inflation. I like young people, you guys have dreams,when you get the PharmD it wont matter anymore. Are you African or carribean?My class didnt have any African american at all. I know its a big deal for you. but get into practice and it wont matter. your professors in pharmacy also do not want to be addressed as doctor. I only save someones life because I carry first aid,epipen, nsaids,antiobiotics with mewhen I travel. If the announcment says there are no doctors, I go up and help

Last edited: