Is a Do-It Yourself move worth it???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2009dds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever done a Do It Yourself move w/ the military or knows of someone who has.

I am contemplating a DIY move of 1,200 miles. Basically the military will pay you 95% the rate they would have been charged by a contracted moving company based on the weight of your items.

We are moving a 2bdrm apartment w/o any overly heavy items. Pretty straightforward move. Our anticipated overhead will be around $1,500 for truck + diesel + lodging, etc.

Any ballpark estimates on what a moving company would have charged?

Members don't see this ad.

We moved from VA to IA (about 1100 miles) and paid a moving company $1800. They hauled everything, and took apart and reassembled everything. It was hassle free, and we had a 2 BR apt - quite a bit of crap...couple big couches, 42 inch TV, tables, desks, etc.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has ever done a Do It Yourself move w/ the military or knows of someone who has.

I am contemplating a DIY move of 1,200 miles. Basically the military will pay you 95% the rate they would have been charged by a contracted moving company based on the weight of your items.

We are moving a 2bdrm apartment w/o any overly heavy items. Pretty straightforward move. Our anticipated overhead will be around $1,500 for truck + diesel + lodging, etc.

DITY move is based on you weight. More weight you have (up to the weight limit based on rank, and with or without dependents), more money you will get at the end. I moved 1100 miles, with 8000 pounds, and was entitled to $4200. I received $3100 at the end of move, and 1100 was withheld as taxes (got that $1100 back when filled my federal tax return). If you don't have lot of weight it might not be worth to do it yourself.

There is also calculator for approximate entitlements:
https://pptas.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/pptacalc/index.jsp

The last thing: if you do DITY move and ask for advance, make sure you do not overestimate your weight. If you claim more weight and get more money in advance, military will calculate everything at the end, and if you are overpaid, it will take overpayment back.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can also do a partial DTY move. We were just moving 100 miles, and I had the moving company get all the big stuff. I then made several trips for the small stuff and ended up getting around $1200. However you will get a seperate W-2 from your normal military W-2 reporting whatever you make as income.

You can also do a partial DTY move.

I second the partial dity move....did the 100% dity once and will NEVER do it again...try it if you like but you will never do it again. The big bonus is you'll be guaranteed to have your important stuff as soon as you get your new place.