Army Dentist, Is it worth it at 47?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of applying to join the Army. I have 16 yrs of experience and I am done paying off my loans. I was very much looking forward to joining the Army for the experience and wanting to serve. But I haven't heard a lot of good things about joining the Army. I'll have to sign up for 4 yrs with a sign in bonus that's paid through the 4 yrs.
I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about the day to day life of a Army dentist. Army dentist, Would you do it again or would you stay away?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am in the process of applying to join the Army. I have 16 yrs of experience and I am done paying off my loans. I was very much looking forward to joining the Army for the experience and wanting to serve. But I haven't heard a lot of good things about joining the Army. I'll have to sign up for 4 yrs with a sign in bonus that's paid through the 4 yrs.
I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about the day to day life of a Army dentist. Army dentist, Would you do it again or would you stay away?
Maybe consider National Guard? I know a guy who just joined in his 50's.

The Army doesn't have a problem with my age. Is National guard better? Is that what you meant?
I was suggesting that given your 16 years of private practice experience, it may be a very difficult adjustment to go from being a civilian to an Active Duty Soldier. I don't know your particular situation or motivations for serving, but you need to accept that you will ultimately have no control over many parts of your time in Active Duty. Location, assistant, scope of practice, etc. National Guard may be an easier path because it is a part-time job commitment unless you're called up and you can stay in your community.