is a 17inch screen laptop too big?

ihatepants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well first of all do alot of students use laptops in class, in college of course? And if I plan to use mine is a 17 inch screen to big and distracting for other students? Would it be rude to have such a big bright screen in class? If so how big is the best to be courtious to other students?

Members don't see this ad.

Well first of all do alot of students use laptops in class, in college of course? And if I plan to use mine is a 17 inch screen to big and distracting for other students? Would it be rude to have such a big bright screen in class? If so how big is the best to be courtious to other students?

Lots of students, at least at my school, use their laptops in class. I personally don't think large screens are any more distracting. Most people using laptops tend to sit in the back row(s) anyway.

I hope it doesn't bother people, I'm considering a bigger screen on my next laptop.

If you're actually taking notes in class, that wouldn't bother me. If you play bright games and surf the net... yes, I would be ready to kill you if you sat in the front row. It's distracting.

That said, I'm about to start bringing my tablet to class, and I'm hoping that I can inconspicuously surf the net on it and bother no one since it will be flat on my desk.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's no big deal. Get whatever laptop you want. I personally avoid 17" screens because of the price premium, but you want and can afford a big, badass laptop, go for it.

It's no big deal. Get whatever laptop you want. I personally avoid 17" screens because of the price premium, but you want and can afford a big, badass laptop, go for it.

I have a 17" widescreen laptop. It's not the one i would have picked given a wider variety, but it was a next-best warranty replacement for my old one when it died.

It's a little on the heavy side but the screen-size isn't an issue in class (2-3" isn't going to make or break anything).

If it's the one you want and you can afford it, go for it.

During my freshman year, I used to have a 17 inch hp laptop. I would advise against it because if you want to go to places like the library, the laptop would weight around 5-6 pounds. That stacks on to other books and stuff. I'd go with something around 12-13.3, with 15.4 being the max.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider weight at all unless you're planning on getting one of those gigantic gaming laptops that weigh over 10 lbs. If you get something like a Toughbook or a Thinkpad, it's going to weigh a little more due to the extra reinforcement. Of course, you're also getting a better product.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider weight at all unless you're planning on getting one of those gigantic gaming laptops that weigh over 10 lbs. If you get something like a Toughbook or a Thinkpad, it's going to weigh a little more due to the extra reinforcement. Of course, you're also getting a better product.

I agree. I throw my 15.4" laptop in my backpack and take it to school and work all the time. Laptop wise it's fairly heavy, but it's weight has never been an issue for me.