What type of laptop should I get if I am on the premed track?

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at laptops for college. I am leaning towards Apple Macbook Air since I can get it under a thousand with a student discount and what not on holiday discounts(crossing my fingers). Would this laptop be good enough for someone who is going pre-med pre med track? I am open to suggestions. Idc what OS, I just need something that will last me for four years. Edit: I should also mention I have been thinking about the Lenovo Yoga C930.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it is more based on your OS preference. However, I would consider purchasing a laptop that has a decent processor and RAM so you can multitask without lag. You wouldn't be worse off one way or the other, but while I was attending college it seemed most people had Apple products. I'm just more of a Windows person since I also enjoy gaming.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it is more based on your OS preference. However, I would consider purchasing a laptop that has a decent processor and RAM so you can multitask without lag. You wouldn't be worse off one way or the other, but while I was attending college it seemed most people had Apple products. I'm just more of a Windows person since I also enjoy gaming.
After talking to some students who are going into pre-engineering they suggested that I go with Lenovo. Do you think that 8 GB of RAM is enough for undergrad? I think 16 may be too excessive.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of accessories, a cheap drawing tablet would be nice for drawing structures (especially in ochem, biochem) on OneNote. If your laptop comes with a digitizer built in, that's a plus.

You’ll largely be opening powerpoints and streaming khanacademy videos when your professor is bad. Any laptop will do

Get whatever you want. You need internet access and word processing.

I have a Lenovo (made of aluminum) and it is a tank. I love it. Lasted me throughout all of UG, only issue was battery life which faded quickly. Honestly as a premed invest in good headphones, your laptop doesn’t really matter. I went through so many cheap sets of uncomfortable earbuds/headphones. I wish I would’ve just invested in a decent pair of each.

For med school I plan on using a desktop I just built and a Microsoft surface laptop or maybe a surface book/surface pro.