Ask an accepted medical student living in 'The Big Guava' anything!

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi hSDNers I hope everyone is getting through their college applications just fine! I'm a current applicant in the 2018-19 medical school application cycle, and I've been accepted to Osteopathic medical schools (DO) so far this cycle. I first joined SDN in 2012 and was involved as a high school student in hSDN back in the day, so I'm always happy to pass along advice wherever possible!

So feel free to ask questions about high school, college, or anything along the pre-medical process! I should be able to answer most questions except maybe some specifics about certain MD schools. You can either post on this thread, or send a pm!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What did your med school application look like if you don't mind sharing? I mean like
Clinical exp.
clinical volunteering
non-clinical volunteering
ECs shadowing
research
mcat score
gpa
Starting college next year and I can't wait to start seriously shaping my application. Would love to get a feel of what other admitted applicants did :D

Hi @InTypical, great question! I won't list out every single thing I did in detail but I'll give you a general idea of some things I pursued based on what you asked!

Clinical Experience - I had about 300+ hours in the ED department and clinical lab of a major hospital in my area which really gave me a chance to interact with patients independently most of the time before the nurses/physicians would see them. I near the end of first year of college, and I can honestly say that this experience confirmed my desire to pursue medicine. Until you get your hands dirty in the field, you really don't know if this is something you truly want to pursue.

Non-clinical volunteering / ECs - I volunteered with the Boys and Girls club in my local area for about 3 years. I served as a peer mentor at my university for 3 years helping freshmen students over the course of an entire year as they adjust to college. I also served as a lab assistant in General Biology courses and Immunology. I was a member of Theta Chi fraternity throughout all 4 years, and I served on the exec board of clubs during my time at my university.

Shadowing - I was fortunate enough to shadow 2 MDs and 1 DO.
Family Medicine MD - 75 hours / Internal Medicine MD - 24 hours / OMM DO - 50 hours

Research - Depending on where you attend, it may be more difficult to get involved in research and it certainly isn't necessary, but if you can, why not give it a shot. I was fortunate enough to participate in Bioinformatics research on hypothetical proteins with one of my professors and was able to have something published before graduating from college. It was actually a really neat experience, and I also had the opportunity to attend an international conference in Las Vegas with graduate students!

MCAT score/GPA - I consider myself an underdog in this category because my science GPA was below average, and my MCAT score was sub-500. So, I obviously recommend you do better in this department, but at the end of the day, if you work hard and keep grinding, you'll make it.
sGPA 3.19 / cGPA 3.57 / MCAT 498

My biggest suggestion is remain organized as you progress through college, and don't be afraid to adjust your situation in order to help yourself be successful. For example, if you had to lessen some your ECs one semester to conquer certain science courses. If you ever have any more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what is guava?

what is guava?

Good question haha! Guava is a tropical fruit, and Tampa/Ybor is called 'The Big Guava.'
Guava.jpg

Why did you chose that nick?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My friends used to joke and say “Papa is coming to town,” when I used to visit them up north while we were in college. Then it became Papa Tampa, so I just thought I’d add some flair to it since Tampa is ‘the Big Guava.’
Does the refrigerator light turn off when you close the door?
Yes the light does indeed turn off, I’ve tested it as a child putting the door almost to close and the light flickered off! Haha
Have you ever seen a car skeleton on a tree? Why do firemen still take cats off trees?

No I have not haha. And cat lives matter too!