Introducing myself!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTnTX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask for advice and opinions on working while I was going back to school to take my prerequisites in order to apply to physical therapy programs. First I would like to give a little background information. I am a non-traditional student and one of those people who did not "develop" a true idea for what I wanted to do in life until I had a series of negative events happen to me. I graduated with a degree that I really did not want to pursue after some personal reflection and the fact that my true passion has always been in health, biomechanics, nutrition, fitness, etc. After a lot of research a few years ago I decided that physical therapy was possibly something I wanted to pursue. I even spoke with an advisor for a PT program that told me flat out that most people in my position (person in their late twenties going back to college) would fail, kind of discouraging.

Around the same time I injured my back and was advised by some doctors to have surgery but I declined. A friend of mine introduced me to a high end trainer that worked with predominantly athletes, many who were coming off on injuries. After working with him for around a year I went from hardly being able to squat, sprint, or jump to playing basketball, football, and overall living a life without worrying about my injury. The experience changed my entire opinion and solidified what I wanted to do. I know there are others who need the same level of attention I was [thankfully] given.

A year after (recently) my girlfriend of 3+ years got into grad school and left me after I had stayed with her while she was getting her undergrad. I pretty much felt like dirt but I feel like things happen for a reason and I am now in the position where I can start school with support from my friends and family.

I apologize in advance for the long winded introduction but I thought others may be in a similar position or feel odd and out of place going back to school in their late 20s, 30s to make a career change. I know I feel self-conscious about it from time to time.

Thanks for reading. I will make another post asking about work.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums!! And don't worry, everyone on here know all my dirt too. But that is what these forums are for! We are here to help and encourage in any way we can!! I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend though. I went through a somewhat similar experience with my girlfriend of 2 years. I left her unfortunately because of some of her unfaithful actions I discovered to put it shortly. But the best thing we can do is hold our heads high and know that it means that there is someone out there that is THAT much better for us! :)

Just because your older should have no indication as to how you would do in PT school. Thats a crock in my opinion. lol YOU are the one who will determine as to whether you will succeed in PT school or not.

Now for the advice. My best advice for you is to always stay current on the requirements for the PT schools you plan to apply to. Check it monthly...or even weekly if you have to. That way you know of any changes in terms of classes you will need to take. Stay good with your grades. Aim to have a GPA of AT LEAST a 3.3 or higher to have a fair chance (a GPA of a 3.5 is about your typical good chance). Get lots of volunteer hours from different settings of PT: Inpatient, Outpatient, Orthopedic, Pediatric, Neuro, Acute...etc, etc. etc. Get to know at least one (preferably two) professors who will write you a great Letter of Recommendation. I always suggest to people to volunteer for a research group at a university. Not only does it give you an opportunity to REALLY get to know notorious professors, it also allows you to say you did research which goes a LONG way and is a HUGE perk to the admissions committees at the schools you apply to.

Other than that, stay positive and stay motivated. If this is something you want bad enough, you will get it. You have a great story to tell as well which is good for when your asked 'Why do you want to be a PT?' The answer to that is NEVER 'Because I want to help people' because you can help people in any health profession. Why specifically PT?? I think you already have that answer...

Once again, welcome to the forums and know we are on your side with this!

Welcome to the forums!! And don't worry, everyone on here know all my dirt too. But that is what these forums are for! We are here to help and encourage in any way we can!! I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend though. I went through a somewhat similar experience with my girlfriend of 2 years. I left her unfortunately because of some of her unfaithful actions I discovered to put it shortly. But the best thing we can do is hold our heads high and know that it means that there is someone out there that is THAT much better for us! :)

Just because your older should have no indication as to how you would do in PT school. Thats a crock in my opinion. lol YOU are the one who will determine as to whether you will succeed in PT school or not.

Now for the advice. My best advice for you is to always stay current on the requirements for the PT schools you plan to apply to. Check it monthly...or even weekly if you have to. That way you know of any changes in terms of classes you will need to take. Stay good with your grades. Aim to have a GPA of AT LEAST a 3.3 or higher to have a fair chance (a GPA of a 3.5 is about your typical good chance). Get lots of volunteer hours from different settings of PT: Inpatient, Outpatient, Orthopedic, Pediatric, Neuro, Acute...etc, etc. etc. Get to know at least one (preferably two) professors who will write you a great Letter of Recommendation. I always suggest to people to volunteer for a research group at a university. Not only does it give you an opportunity to REALLY get to know notorious professors, it also allows you to say you did research which goes a LONG way and is a HUGE perk to the admissions committees at the schools you apply to.

Other than that, stay positive and stay motivated. If this is something you want bad enough, you will get it. You have a great story to tell as well which is good for when your asked 'Why do you want to be a PT?' The answer to that is NEVER 'Because I want to help people' because you can help people in any health profession. Why specifically PT?? I think you already have that answer...

Once again, welcome to the forums and know we are on your side with this!

I apologize for the delayed reply but with work, signing up for school, and moving I have been on the go! Thank you for the warm welcome, it means a lot to me! As far as the girlfriend goes I understand, I had a rough time with it but I used it as motivation to finally do what I have been wanting to do for years.

Right now my GPA is 3.4 (without pre-reqs of course). I already planned on hitting up as numerous places as possible to get a variety of volunteer hours. Thank you for the pointer, I will be sure to meet each one of my professors to build a relationship for recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb question but if I have taken a course that is required at another university and want to retake it, should I go back there or is it okay to take it again at a new school?

For example, I have an A in A&P I and a B in A&PII but I took them years ago and I want to retake them.

I always was under the impression that they would cover the previous grade on your transcripts.

Just asking in advance because if I need to do that I will do what I have to do.

You can retake them at another university or even a community college. For most of the schools in Texas, they only count the retake grade. I believe for schools that participate in PTCAS, it averages the two grades. The polices on retake grades are different depending on where you plan to apply.

Of course you can do it man. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to. Beast the pre-reqs, get a solid GRE, make friends with professors so you get solid letters and volunteer/observe everywhere. There is nothing holding you back but yourself. This might sound a little out of the ordinary, but relationships take up a lot of time. You are by yourself now and that is not a bad thing. Focus on yourself and devote all your time into this if this is your ultimate goal.

Your goal should not be a long movie type relationship but your path and achievements in life. There is nobody that can take that away from you. Trust me there are plenty of girls everywhere. If this is what you really want and don't stray too far off your path, there is no doubt you will find a way to do it. Luck is for losers, go out and get it done.