Did I screw myself over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZosoEquus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated high school with a 2.9 in 2008 and went to a four year university that fall, changing my major three times over my course there (started as athletic training, then pre-vet biology, finally decided on psychology). I did not take school seriously, at all (as with high school), and ended up on academic probation after failing many classes. I moved back up home in 2010 with only 30 credits to show after two years at school. After taking a year off to work, I was motivated to get back into school. I transferred to a community college. I completed as much as I could there, and now I just started my first semester at a small nearby four year university. My current GPA is a 3.1.

My major has been psychology for a while now, but as I get closer and closer to finishing school, I have realized that although I like psychology, I am really put off by poor job prospects and cost/amount of schooling I would have to put in in order to secure even just a mediocre job. My mother is a pharmacist, so I have always been interested in doing something in the medical field. I have also had a strong interest and done well in science classes. I started researching different careers and physical therapy really seemed to suit me well. I haven't done any shadowing yet, I will be starting next month. My boyfriend hurt his back recently and I have also been going with him to his sessions.

My major is still psychology (I have taken too many classes to restart a new major) but I will now also be taking all of the prereqs for PT school. I am set to graduate in spring 2016, so I know I will have plenty of time to gets lots of shadowing in and studying for the GRE. My question is, how will my transcripts from my first school affect my chances? Considering I do well in all my classes now and graduate with a good GPA, get lots of shadowing hours, and a high GRE score? I have matured and definitely do not have the same mindset I did 5 years ago; I know that this is my last chance to really bite the bullet and buckle down. But I am afraid that my poor decisions and former state of mind may have already killed my chances. Any thoughts/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools also look at pre-req GPA, so if you have high grades in science classes, then you stand a fair shot. I recommend looking through other threads, since there's been plenty of advice given for people with low GPAs. Just search for "low GPA" and you'll get plenty of advice that way.

There are indeed a multitude of "what are my chances" threads, as well as a very helpful and searchable sticky at the top of the forum. If you're overall GPA ends up being closer to a 3.5, especially withing your pre-reqs, you nail the GRE, and have a variety of quality observation experiences, you will probably be fine. Having all those F's on your first transcript is going to be bad, but you should be able to demonstrate that you have turned things around since then.

As knj said, do everything else right and you should be fine. As long as your overall GPA is >3.0 and you do well in your pre-req courses, you'll be fine. Stick with psychology and do not change majors again. Changing majors actually hurts your chances because it looks like you can't make up your mind and you lose interest quickly. How do schools know your committed to PT when you've switched majors four times?

You can't erase your transcript. Talk to schools and see if it's worth applying with all those poor grades in your early years as an undergraduate.

Kevin