I know I am getting ahead of myself but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMA2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the standard PT interview entails? What kind of questions do they ask? I figure I better start preparing myself now!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been to seven or eight interviews and after awhile they are all the same. Your first one will be the most intimidating, but after that you'll feel like a professional interviewer.

Usually, the activities begin at 9:00 in the morning and conclude between 12:00 and 1:00. You and other applicants (professionally dressed) all sit in large conference room making small talk, sipping coffee and enjoying simple carbs provided by the program.

The interview usually involves just one faculty member. You could however interview a faculty member and a current student, or you could interview one faculty member, and then another (not simultaneously).

At some point, a current student will you give a tour of the facilities, and will answer any questions you have. At most programs, there is a separate session for questions. Believe me, you will have enough time to ask questions, and might think the students are too solicitous. They're just trying to be good ambassadors.

Questions to expect include:

"Why do you want to be a PT?"
"How do you deal with difficult people?"
"How do you handle conflict?"
"What attracted you to our program?
"How do you work in groups?"
"How do you deal with stress?"
"What are some positive qualities that you bring to the profession?"
"If you do not get accepted anywhere, what will you do?" (kind of rude in my opinion)
"Do you think you can adjust to (insert city here)?"

You ask them:

"What do you do here?"
"What makes you proud of this program?"
"Are there any changes you would make to this program?"
"What do you expect of your students? What makes a good student?"
"Do you do any advocacy work?"

If I think of more, I'll edit this post.

Kevin

Most of my questions were based on my background specifically. I was told by my interviewer that the answer to the questions are not as important as the confidence and character behind the answers. In other words, you must know yourself - your strengths, weaknesses, your interests and PT.

But here are some general questions that were asked, that were not so background specific.

1. What is your best learning method?
2. Can you describe your learning thought process for me?
3. If you were to choose some of the aspects of PT [teaching, research, patient interaction, community health, etc.] what would they be and why?
4. You're older than the average age of candidates, how do you feel about that?
5. Where do you see your top contribution to the field of PT in 5 years?
6. What have you gained most from your volunteer work?
7. Where do you see PT in regards to the APTA's 20/20 vision?
8. Are you interested in research? Why not a more research intensive school like USC?

There is a handful more but I can't remember them all. Just remember, the questions may seem intimidating BUT it was all facilitated through a casual conversation. It was a very relaxing and welcoming experience.

Good luck.

Last edited: