Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
k, apparently we're on the waitlist, Soon2BENT. . .

Members don't see this ad.

chicamedica said:
k, apparently we're on the waitlist, Soon2BENT. . .

Yup, got the same 2 e-mails, called, she said waitlist. Just got the third e-mail, which was an apology for the first. :) Honest mistake.

:thumbdown: UCSD
:thumbdown: Cornell

Oh well....Still keepin' the dream alive for UCLA!!! What do you guys think, should I call them and ask what the status of my application is?

Members don't see this ad :)
moonlight2000 said:
:thumbdown: UCSD
:thumbdown: Cornell

Oh well....Still keepin' the dream alive for UCLA!!! What do you guys think, should I call them and ask what the status of my application is?

yeah u should totally call!

chicamedica said:
yeah u should totally call!

I just called them and they told me I am on the wait-list. Ahhh!!!! UCLA is my first choice right now, so if anybody out there holding on to an interview and pretty much know you're not going, please cancel soon....ahhh!! (I need haldol).

chicamedica said:
woohoo! lol, we must be on the same distribution list.

haha... I only got the first rejection email, not the second waitlist email.. I guess I'm on the "U R A piece of ****" distribution list. :laugh: :laugh:

moonlight2000 said:
I just called them and they told me I am on the wait-list. Ahhh!!!! UCLA is my first choice right now, so if anybody out there holding on to an interview and pretty much know you're not going, please cancel soon....ahhh!! (I need haldol).

About this waitlist business... Anyone know anyone who got waitlisted at a top-notch program like UCLA in years past actually end up matching there??? :confused:

Univ of Washington via email today!

Yes!!!! :D

That's the last one I've been waiting on!

BID = :thumbdown:

Come on Brigham, just go ahead and make it the Boston Triple Play.

Im calling the remaining programs that I have intrest in today and asking them whether I should expect to hear anything good. Im tired of waiting.

jc237 said:
About this waitlist business... Anyone know anyone who got waitlisted at a top-notch program like UCLA in years past actually end up matching there??? :confused:

The way i understand it is that the waitlist is a waitlist for getting an interview, just cause there are a limited number of interview spots. Once you have an interview, I assume it's an even playing field.

And no, jc, you're NOT a piece of sh--. different progs want different things (just like different applicants rank the same programs differently based on their personal preferences).

Hey chicamedica,

May I ask where your from? Baltimore? If your not comfortable posting, or PM'ing me, it's not a problem - I completely understand.

chicamedica said:
And no, jc, you're NOT a piece of sh--. different progs want different things (just like different applicants rank the same programs differently based on their personal preferences).

:love: I think I'm in love :love: :love:

Besides where you live, chicamedica, can I have your phone number also. Oh, and a pic please. :love: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
chicamedica said:
The way i understand it is that the waitlist is a waitlist for getting an interview, just cause there are a limited number of interview spots. Once you have an interview, I assume it's an even playing field.

Forget jc and ear-ache. chica, give ME ur phone number, pic, etc., becuz I am REALLY in love with you!!! :love: :love: :love: :D

Really, thanks for the word of encouragement. Let us all look on the bright side!

moonlight2000 said:
Forget jc and ear-ache. chica, give ME ur phone number, pic, etc., becuz I am REALLY in love with you!!! :love: :love: :love: :D

Really, thanks for the word of encouragement. Let us all look on the bright side!

Aww you guys are so sweet. Well, I'm glad I made everyone's day! I really do believe that is what happens in admissions processes at least for residency (at least in anesthesia). Dont know if i'm right, but really seems that way. For example, a friend of mine also applying to anesthesia with similar credentials got interviews at places i haven't yet, but hasn't heard from some places I got invites from weeks ago. and these are programs of comparable caliber and reputation.

chicamedica said:
Aww you guys are so sweet. Well, I'm glad I made everyone's day! I really do believe that is what happens in admissions processes at least for residency (at least in anesthesia). Dont know if i'm right, but really seems that way. For example, a friend of mine also applying to anesthesia with similar credentials got interviews at places i haven't yet, but hasn't heard from some places I got invites from weeks ago. and these are programs of comparable caliber and reputation.
hey all

lol..been kinda on the DL lately. But yah Chica is sooooo friggin right. After having a few interviews under my belt I can now say this. Most people interviewing dont even read ur files until about 5 min before the interview. I cant even begin to tell you how many interviewers literally were readnig my app right in front of my eyes for the first time and told me so!

different things matter for diff people. At one program, the PD told us all that the way he screens who gets interviews is STRICTLY on ROLs. His reasoning is as long as you have PASSED steps 1/2 and never had to retake it and had great ROLs, evrything else banked on the interview.

So....moral of the story as Doc Chica said, everyone has diff criteria. :thumbup:

chicamedica said:
Aww you guys are so sweet.
I think chica would be much better suited in giving her location, phone number, and pic to me. I tell you what. We'll settle this like gentlemen....

I challenge you all to a duel!!!

UW today by email. I was beginning to give up on them.

Still nothing from UCSD.

Soon2BENT said:
I think chica would be much better suited in giving her location, phone number, and pic to me. I tell you what. We'll settle this like gentlemen....

I challenge you all to a duel!!!

I’m sorry chicamedica, but I don’t think it will work our between us.

I too like long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners, and curling up with a good peer reviewed journal, but I just got out of a long term relationship and I don’t know if I’m ready for a new relationship… with a woman.

So forgive me if I broke your heart. Here is picture to remember me by. Please don't cry, we will always have SDN.

Attachments

• david_hasselhoff_NIKE.jpg
    david_hasselhoff_NIKE.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 102
ear-ache said:

I too like long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners, and curling up with a good peer reviewed journal, but I just got out of a long term relationship and I don’t know if I’m ready for a new relationship… with a woman.

So forgive me if I broke your heart. Here is picture to remember me by. Please don't cry, we will always have SDN.

ROFL :laugh:

u guys are all tooooo much!

I would have gone into oto if I had known how hot those ear-aches were!

ear-ache said:

Any SDNer's going to GW interview this weekend?

Saturday interviews are a big plus in my book. :thumbup: Must suck to give up your saturdays from Thanksgiving to Xmas for interviews. Hopefully speaks to the level of commitment to residents and recruitment.

Nice day.

No from Duke :mad:

THREE messages in my ERAS inbox from B&W internal medicine prelim (do they have three different sites that I applied to or is that just to show that they really dont want me?)

Looks like Im holding steady at 11 interviews (Vandy, UF, UTSW, Oklahoma, Mayo-Jax, UVA, JHU, WashU, UAB, Colorado, Wake), 2 cancellations (Rush, SLU), 6 rejections (Duke, BID, MGH, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford), 1 waitlist (Dartmouth), 8 crickets (Cornell, Emory, Scott & White, Arizona, Northwestern, B&W [yeah, right...bring the axe], Yale, Penn)

I feel decent about my interviews, being a lowly DO. I was pissed about Duke, MGH and Stanford, obviously, but very happy with my interviews overall.

Now begins the nervous...

Idiopathic said:
Nice day.

No from Duke :mad:

THREE messages in my ERAS inbox from B&W internal medicine prelim (do they have three different sites that I applied to or is that just to show that they really dont want me?)

Looks like Im holding steady at 11 interviews (Vandy, UF, UTSW, Oklahoma, Mayo-Jax, UVA, JHU, WashU, UAB, Colorado, Wake), 2 cancellations (Rush, SLU), 6 rejections (Duke, BID, MGH, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford), 1 waitlist (Dartmouth), 8 crickets (Cornell, Emory, Scott & White, Arizona, Northwestern, B&W [yeah, right...bring the axe], Yale, Penn)

I feel decent about my interviews, being a lowly DO. I was pissed about Duke, MGH and Stanford, obviously, but very happy with my interviews overall.

Now begins the nervous...

Also got the thanks but no thanks from Duke today. Oh well, was probably #3 on my list for the NC programs anyway.

UC Irvine today.
Last week I heard from Virginia Mason and Ohio State but was busy and didn't post.

I was surprised to hear from Irvine so late though. Maybe somebody cancelled.

I have not heard a thing. Time to call?

DoDo,
Won't hurt BUT I sent one email and called twice. I think they are still in the first phase though. I think they are just very behind.

Good luck

dodo2 said:
I have not heard a thing. Time to call?

I agree with Dre - I think they're behind. When I called to ask about the status of my application, I was told the admissions committee divides the applications by some sort of alphabetical process - There is a group that reviews last names 'A-C', or something to that effect. I initially tried email, but never got a response.

SleepyTime said:
UC Irvine today.
Last week I heard from Virginia Mason and Ohio State but was busy and didn't post.

You must be a stud. I thought I was a stud.

But I didnt apply to any of those progs though.

I don't recall anyone posting they got a Georgetown invite. Did this program start giving out invites yet? I'm thinking about calling to see what's happenin'.

jc237 said:
I don't recall anyone posting they got a Georgetown invite. Did this program start giving out invites yet? I'm thinking about calling to see what's happenin'.

Yes they did - I got mine around late september. Good luck!

Uconn
Yale U
BU
MGH(R)
BID(R)
B&W
StElizabeth(I) 12/8
Tuft's(I) 1/9
UMass(I) 1/25
Baystate(I) 1/12
Dartmouth(R)
MaineMed(I) 12/21
UVM (I) Interviewed 9/14
URochester (I) Interviewed 11/14
NYMC
UAlbany(I) 1/11
PennSt (I) 1/2
UPenn
MUSC

SleepyTime said:
UC Irvine today.

I too got an invite from Irvine - which would be less surprising if it werent that it was the SECOND time they invited me. After the first time the coordinator never got back to me to confirm the interview. So I emailed her twice. Nope, no good. Figgured everything was fine. Guess Im gunna have to call.

ear-ache said:
I agree with Dre - I think they're behind. When I called to ask about the status of my application, I was told the admissions committee divides the applications by some sort of alphabetical process - There is a group that reviews last names 'A-C', or something to that effect. I initially tried email, but never got a response.

When I applied there for med school, they took 7 months to offer me an interview. Are they just slow up there?

I am fascinated by several issues:

1. How few invites came s/p mspe.
2. How UW is so late relative to every other program. From comparing my invite time relative to other applicants on this site- I "should" have gotten an invite already, about 1 week ago if not sooner. That said, relatively few people have received invites and for a program with 20 residents, there should be 150 invites, minimum.

3. How I am far less neurotic now, relative to 2 weeks ago.

Good luck all!

ultm8frisbee said:
Univ of Washington today

Congrats on UW, at least they're talking to someone :)
Say, I went to their website today and they listed all the interview days:

November 21, 28
December 5, 12, 19
January 9, 17, 23, 30
February 6

So when were they planning on notifying the rest of us?

Did the same thing rug!

they're not going to do anything after today so then it's Nov 29 before they let you know. If you have to buy a plane ticket around the holidays you are screwed!

DrDre' said:
Did the same thing rug!

they're not going to do anything after today so then it's Nov 29 before they let you know. If you have to buy a plane ticket around the holidays you are screwed!
Yo Dre, you think it's a good idea to get a plane ticket now for a late Jan. interview?

For those who have interviewed at UAB, does the Marriott provide transportation to the interview in the morning or do you take a cab/walk?

thank you.

Etomidate said:
For those who have interviewed at UAB, does the Marriott provide transportation to the interview in the morning or do you take a cab/walk?

thank you.

I walked
It is really close to where you have to go

Rug,
I have an interview with VM, with the ticket bought. If UW invites me and that particular date I need isn't available, I won't come back for another trip.

On a similar note, this may be my first and last rejection!

This whole UW thing has been weird. Invites trickling in randomly for the last 6 weeks or so? What are they doing? Not in their best interest...

Frisbee - Like your moniker!

I think you could wait if it is late January. Then again, if you are positive you will go no matter what and the fare is reasonable now, why not?

If it were me, I would hold out unless it was a big special. Anything in late January, for me, is scheduled so it can be cut...

Good luck!

Etomidate said:

thank you.

Theres a skywalk that connects the hotel to the hospital. This is not unlike the setup at WashU.

aredoubleyou said:
I too got an invite from Irvine - which would be less surprising if it werent that it was the SECOND time they invited me. After the first time the coordinator never got back to me to confirm the interview. So I emailed her twice. Nope, no good. Figgured everything was fine. Guess Im gunna have to call.

They invited late last week but said they would get back to me in 10 days due to Thanksgiving. Seems a bit unconventional. Maybe that's a good thing.

Good Luck on your interview.

LSU -shreveport. snail mail dated 11/8 but I got it on 11/25..maybe it is not a good idea to send letters to new orleans.

ALso, UTSW, really late last Friday...forgot to post.

Invite from Brigham today! Excellent. See Stanford, someone does love me. :)

DrDre' said:
Rug,
I have an interview with VM, with the ticket bought. If UW invites me and that particular date I need isn't available, I won't come back for another trip.

On a similar note, this may be my first and last rejection!

This whole UW thing has been weird. Invites trickling in randomly for the last 6 weeks or so? What are they doing? Not in their best interest...

Yeah, I've been lucky too, no rejections yet. But I would rather have them pull off the band-aid now instead of this slow torture thing. And I'm right there with you on the not going back - I didn't hear from a couple of prelim programs until after I set up my anesthesia interviews, and I'm not headed back (Oregon and Baltimore).

Called UW. They said they were not done going thru the applications yet and that their goal was the end of the week.

No comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.