Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i see a lot of people have been offered interviews from SLU. Is it a good program since a lot of people have applied there? Is their screening process "porous"; ie not a very competitive program?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my first prelim interview at Winthrop in NY, via email. My app isn't even complete - still waiting for my anesthesiology LOR. Good luck to all!

ordinary guy said:
i see a lot of people have been offered interviews from SLU. Is it a good program since a lot of people have applied there? Is their screening process "porous"; ie not a very competitive program?
hey ordinary guy

i hear you on this one...my thoughts are as follows.

Given the HUGE increase in Anesthesiology this year I really dont believe there's going to be a 'easy' program to get into this year. Obviously, the word "easy" is such a loose term since there's no real ranking out there....US NEWS only does the top 20 or so and then there's the NIH research funding rank that was done in like 2000.

bottom line, i think anesthesiology is going to be like derm, optho, ortho, radiology where there's no real 'easy' program to get into. personally, i think the previously thought of as 'easy' programs, if such a thing existed, are no longer going to be that way during this match.

my dos pesos

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinkfast,
I think there is some truth to what you say about the increasing competitiveness of anesthesia. However, it is overstating it to compare it to those fields. There are over 1000 spots versus approx 600 for ophtho and even fewer for others. Every US senior should be able to find a spot somewhere. You can't say that about other specialties.

My deux centimes...

SLU-
I have always heard that it was an historically weak program. If you like SL then it's great.

ThinkFast007 said:
hey ordinary guy

Given the HUGE increase in Anesthesiology this year I really dont believe there's going to be a 'easy' program to get into this year. Obviously, the word "easy" is such a loose term since there's no real ranking out there....US NEWS only does the top 20 or so and then there's the NIH research funding rank that was done in like 2000.

bottom line, i think anesthesiology is going to be like derm, optho, ortho, radiology where there's no real 'easy' program to get into. personally, i think the previously thought of as 'easy' programs, if such a thing existed, are no longer going to be that way during this match.

my dos pesos

Like DERM??? very unlikely. Derm has like 2-3 spots per program.

Optho still stretching it. IT's kinda like derm in that there are few spots per program (maybe 5-6).

Dunno about rads or ortho. Those might have more spots.

Anesthesia usually has 10-20 people per year per program, unless it's a tiny community program that noone wants to go to.

I'd think if anes is competitive this year it might only approach that of EM.

Then again, like you thinkfast007, i'm only an MS4, so lets leave such surmising to the people who are more in the know about the applicant pool and trends. ;)

Based on last year, anesthesia is continuing to get more competetive, but not even close to derm and ortho. No way it's going to look like that this year. And it's still quite a ways away from rads and ophtho as well.

BTW, that is a good thing.

Dr. Dre my curiousity is heightened by your statement with the idea that SLU has historically not been a strong program. What have you heard are their pitfalls, if you will? Thanks for your honest accessment.

A word about the percieved competetiveness of anes.
Look at the asa website on applicant trends. It shows a 95% fill rate since 1996 on. The only real change has been the applicant demographics. It used to be like 40% IMG, and now is somewhere around 12%, I think. The exact numbers are on the asa website.
Also, I read somewhere recently that the unmatched rate of anes was 5.2% of all applicants. Surgery was 5.4%, including prelims. This leads me to believe that if you can land a surg prelim, you should be able to land an anes residency... somewhere. I think the real changes are going on at the real competetive programs. Harvard is Harvard no matter where street you're on. You can bet yer tailfeathers that it'll be tough to get in no matter what, and that the 230 shoo-ins of yesteryear are being replaced with the 250+ nerd-bombers of today.
Furthermore, the same study I read above showed an unmatched rate in EM of 10-12%. I can't see anes making that much of a leap in competetiveness b/c many people still look at it as boring.
I should state that this is my opinion, and these are old stats, but historically I have trouble believing that a reasonably competitive student won't match... unless of course they $hit their pants during the interview and then drop trou in front of god and the interviewer to finish their duty in the garbage-can a-la van-wilder.

the way i understand the "increased competitiveness" of anesthesia, is that it's more of a pseudo-competition.

the overall # of spots continues to increase (generally), and overall # of applicants increases with it. that being said, the caliber of applicant is increasing overall, as anesthesia becomes a more and more desirable field (IMHO). and everyone is still applying to the same programs - prestige / big city / etc. so we all end up competing with smarter and smarter people to go to the hottest programs - but the truth still holds that if you really do apply EVERYWHERE, you should get in SOMEWHERE.

that being said, disclaimers:
1) i really don't have any scientific basis for this "explanation." just how i think it works.
2) it makes me feel better when i reason it this way. :)

chicamedica said:
Then again, like you thinkfast007, i'm only an MS4, so lets leave such surmising to the people who are more in the know about the applicant pool and trends. ;)

yikes, my butt is still feeling the heat from the posters replies. and yes, perhaps i'm thinking a lil faster, but thats cuz i'm jacked up on coffee right now.

Of course, let me preface this by saying I'm a MSIV. And in terms of most of my info, i got it from talking to two programs directors and a few residents and this is their OPINIONS (I don not know how valid it is). It's true I dont think ANYONE can honestly say how competitive anesthesiology is right now. I'll admit maybe it's not as competitive as DERM, but I think its getting up there in terms of ortho,rads,EM, etc. I mean any of those "ROADE" specialities are pretty competitive (rads, ortho/optho, anes, derm, em...for thsoe that dont knwo what i'm talking about).

Reason. I dont have the article in front of me (at the parent's house right now) but I recall an article in that ASA newsletter. If someone could site it would be great, but I recall it stating that there are LESS programs and more applicants now. That's one thing. Secondly, I remember going on the UIC, RUSH, GW, and two other schools (cant remember which ones) match lists and looking at last years match results. I kid you not, out of a class of 150+, about 25-27 matched into Anesthesiology. I mean thats a heck of lot of folks from just ONE class!

And that's only at those schools. I know from talking to kids at my school and some of my friends elsewhere, those individuals that were ONCE interested in Rads and optho are seriously sending in apps for Anesth. I mean, look at the number of ppl that are trying to switch over from surgery just on this forum. OF course, I do not want to generalize and say that EVERYONE's trying to switch over to Gas, but I think there is certainly a higher 'interest' in the field.

Hey but with those of you all that are hoping its not competitive ;) I guess my whole manifesto is just to suggest that although once perceieved, "easy programs', may not be that way.

but hey, hopefully i'm wrong, I really REALLY REALLY hope i'm wrong :thumbup:

chicamedica said:

yikes, my butt is still feeling the heat from the posters replies. and yes, perhaps i'm thinking a lil faster, but thats cuz i'm jacked up on coffee right now.

Of course, let me preface this by saying I'm a MSIV. And in terms of most of my info, i got it from talking to two programs directors and a few residents and this is their OPINIONS (I don not know how valid it is). It's true I dont think ANYONE can honestly say how competitive anesthesiology is right now. I'll admit maybe it's not as competitive as DERM, but I think its getting up there in terms of ortho,rads,EM, etc. I mean any of those "ROADE" specialities are pretty competitive (rads, ortho/optho, anes, derm, em...for thsoe that dont knwo what i'm talking about).

Reason. I dont have the article in front of me (at the parent's house right now) but I recall an article in that ASA newsletter. If someone could site it would be great, but I recall it stating that there are LESS programs and more applicants now. That's one thing. Secondly, I remember going on the UIC, RUSH, GW, and two other schools (cant remember which ones) match lists and looking at last years match results. I kid you not, out of a class of 150+, about 25-27 matched into Anesthesiology. I mean thats a heck of lot of folks from just ONE class!

And that's only at those schools. I know from talking to kids at my school and some of my friends elsewhere, those individuals that were ONCE interested in Rads and optho are seriously sending in apps for Anesth. I mean, look at the number of ppl that are trying to switch over from surgery just on this forum. OF course, I do not want to generalize and say that EVERYONE's trying to switch over to Gas, but I think there is certainly a higher 'interest' in the field.

Hey but with those of you all that are hoping its not competitive ;) I guess my whole manifesto is just to suggest that although once perceieved, "easy programs', may not be that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by ThinkFast007
hey ordinary guy

Here's an article which could clarify some points about the competitiveness of anesthesia for the last 10 years up to 2005. http://www.grogono.com/nrmp/2005/Recruitment05.pdf

ThinkFast007 said:

Well i really think it depends on the school and the year. At my school usually about 10-12 people go into anes every year. Last year only 6 people did. The fact that there are TWENTY of us this year kinda makes me think that maybe the competitiveness is increasing, but in the words of the Chair at my school, "They say that EVERY year." ;) I guess it remains to be seen.

Thanks for the article BOB

well...hey i stand corrected. Maybe it's just the 'hype' that's making it feel more competitive. or maybe it's because i'm on SDN more nowadays as a way to get out of studying for Step2. Bad Think Fast, BAD !!

:laugh: :laugh:

I love anesthesia and am going into it too. I am going through the whole application process and such and at times we all freak out about finding a spot/matching. But if you think we are on par as far as competiveness with Ortho, Optho or Derm you are way-way off base. I don't mean this to bash us as applicants or the field of anesthesiolgy but its just not as competetive, for a US medical grad, as people on this board try to make it sound. I doubt it will ever be. I think we are all freaking out like I'm sure we did when applying for medical school. If you are an average to above average medical student you will find a spot in anesthesia - so chill and quit trying to freak people out just because you're nervous! We will all be fine.

I think this "interviews" thread has taken on a life of its own.

SleepyTime said:

We're just twiddling our thumbs, waiting for those darned interviews to start comin in!!! ;)

SleepyTime said:

HOW TRUE
I've noticed that the more a thread is posted on, the less the posts relate to the OP. Anyway, doin' my OB/GYN rotation, and spent the day at a CME conference complete with food, and no drug reps... not too shabby for such a tough rotation.

Hey everyone, please see the donation thread, I'll bump it back up to the top. Don't be cheap.

Johns Hopkins 9/14.

Hopkins today.

Why do I get the feeling this is gonna get out of hand really fast?

University of Michigan 9/14

UMich for me too 9/14 via email

Michigan 9/14.

when did you folks submit your applications to these programs? I have a friend who applied to both those programs.

Submitted 9/1.

Hopkins today via email.

Emory program director called me last week at 8:15 AM!!! I thought it was someone calling from my radiology rotation calling to ask why I wasn't in yet, so I didn't pick up.

appreciate your expedient answers!! Good Luck!

-invite to U of Michigan (9/15) via email
-invite to SLU (9/12) via email
-mount sinai, hopkins, and wake forest sent emails saying they are reviewing my application

I also recieved an invite from JHU today (9/14) via email. Submitted my ERAS application on 9/2.

yeah i got the hopkins note saying they will be offering interviews thru november. No invite here :(

Only the Hopkins form letter :(

Does anyone have any hunch of the criteria that hopkins uses ie step 1 cutoff, aoa pre req, etc. to determine who is interviewed? Thank you for your insightful remarks/ideas.

I dont think there is any way for us to know this info.

UAB invite via snail mail :D
Hopkins 'will keep reviewing till November' :(
Generic U of FLorida and Mt. Sinai email saying they have recieved my application :rolleyes:

Wow! I also got a Hopkins invite today, picked first monday in Dec. Also received 'Bama and Utah two days ago...looks like things are moving fast.

ordinary guy said:
Does anyone have any hunch of the criteria that hopkins uses ie step 1 cutoff, aoa pre req, etc. to determine who is interviewed? Thank you for your insightful remarks/ideas.

They post their averages for Step 1 somewhere, something like 235 average matched, with a range of 215-260 or something like that. But no mention of a cutoff (although it would be safe to say that it is 215 or so)

PM on the way to you. :)

UNC form email (9/15) saying they received my application and will begin reviewing and selecting interviewees. Interesting that I received this email directly without it getting posted on ERAS.

applied to michigan. downloaded 9/8. no reply from MI. no LORs in yet though.

eagle26 said:
UNC form email (9/15) saying they received my application and will begin reviewing and selecting interviewees. Interesting that I received this email directly without it getting posted on ERAS.

ive had a couple of those

Soon2BENT said:
applied to michigan. downloaded 9/8. no reply from MI. no LORs in yet though.

same thing here MI downloaded but only have PS CAF and USMLE and haven't heard anything from them

Status
Not open for further replies.