Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got Tulane - Triple Board :)

Members don't see this ad.

Got the harvard today!! (Mclean program)
Dont want to go there, but want to interview just to see what its like!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just uploaded this week, dunno how long it takes for turn around. My Step 2 wont come in until 4 more weeks! nervous.
step 1 is unimpressive.
good grades, LORs, international experience, publications etc...

jlk161 said:
Just uploaded this week, dunno how long it takes for turn around. My Step 2 wont come in until 4 more weeks! nervous.
step 1 is unimpressive.
good grades, LORs, international experience, publications etc...

Congrats 2010! But curious why have you already ruled out MGH/Mclean.

okay, my two cents...

BU
Yale
UNC
Duke
Emory
U Wash
U Maryland
Cornell
NYU
MGH/McLean
JHU

Accepted interviews for all except U Wash, NYU, and Maryland.
Anyone heard from Longwood yet?

Two more...

Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Duke University

My list so far,

1. MAYO CLINIC
2. DUKE UNIVERSITY
3. DARTMOUTH
4. UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN- MADISON
5. LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY

:confused: is anyone else who submitted eras first week of october experiencing a lag in the invites he/she are receiving? i subitted 10/7 and have received 6 so far all in the first week! last week, nothing, and nothing this a.m. either.

just want to know if i'm not the only one. how long do the eras apps take to process. maybe it is the slow time for many programs? i dunno.

thanks for n e support out there.

:) :) :)

mnms said:
:confused: is anyone else who submitted eras first week of october experiencing a lag in the invites he/she are receiving? i subitted 10/7 and have received 6 so far all in the first week! last week, nothing, and nothing this a.m. either.

just want to know if i'm not the only one. how long do the eras apps take to process. maybe it is the slow time for many programs? i dunno.

thanks for n e support out there.

:) :) :)

Hi mnms,

I'm in the same boat. I submitted same day as you, and have received 6 interviews as well. Most came immediately (within two days), then the rest have been trickling like one a week. I think programs meet like once, maybe twice, a week and go over applications then send out interviews. So, it probably makes sense that you get interviews weekly. I wouldn't sweat it too much. I think it's still early in the game and some programs may not have even gotten around to looking at your app. yet. Chin up, and keep on checking. Just when you least expect it....BAM...you've got mail! :D

BTW, check your physical mail too! Just got an invite from Georgetown in my mailbox, which I haven't checked for days!! I have to say, there's something about having a letter, signed, in your hands. It's just nice. Although, I thought it was a rejection and was sooooo ready to rip it up :eek: ! Also, got a brochure from Cambridge and a letter stating that they're now going over applications. So, don't ignore your mailbox!

dynamite said:
Hi mnms,

I'm in the same boat. I submitted same day as you, and have received 6 interviews as well. Most came immediately (within two days), then the rest have been trickling like one a week. I think programs meet like once, maybe twice, a week and go over applications then send out interviews. So, it probably makes sense that you get interviews weekly. I wouldn't sweat it too much. I think it's still early in the game and some programs may not have even gotten around to looking at your app. yet. Chin up, and keep on checking. Just when you least expect it....BAM...you've got mail! :D

cool dynamite...glad to hear i'm not the only one. isn't it sad that 'we' (read i) get all worked up over this thing! oh well, guess we can just wait patiently. i have afriend who submitted on sept. 1, is a ivy leaguer, and has now only gotten 3 so far. there are those who are worse off.

best wishes!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

UCSF-Fresno
U. of Arizona
Maricopa
U. of Chicago
U. of Illinois
U. of Florida
U. of SF
UMDNJ
NYMC- WCMC
Mount Sinai- Cabrini
Mount Sinai- North General
St. Lukes
Tulane- Triple Board
Mount Sinai- Triple Board
Maimonides
:)

Ok I have heard from:
_- MCG ( will interview there tomorrow!)
- UF ( will be there Nov 7 )
- UVA ( need to schedule )
- MCV ( need to schedule )
- Loyola ( need to schedule )
All have been through email.......and MCV gave out a mass email of sorts
Good luck to all
Im still waiting to hear from USF, Emory, MUSC, Georgetown, GWU, BAylor, Miami, UNC and Duke

peace
Rizwan

p.s. Hey any other students going to these places give me a holler!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys and gals,

Anyone know anything about Rosalind Franklin Chicago Medical? Since the search feature is disabled, I can't find old posts about it. I think it's actually outside of Chicago, but does anyone know about how far outside? I'm trying to schedule my interview there to coincide with Univ. of Chicago but don't know if I'm going to need a car to go between the two places. Anyone here for Chicago?

Hi all,

New to the forum. I really procrastinated and didn't send in my ERAS till 10/17. Prolly I'm last. :oops: But received interviews from:

USC
UCLA/SFV
UCI
Tulane (triple)
Indiana (triple)

Shall we post our experiences/comments/thoughts of the programs post-interview in this thread as well? That should be useful.

Goodluck all!

just adding 2 more: UC-Irvine, San Mateo, & MUSC.

So, list now stands at:
UCSD
UC-Irvine
San Mateo
Mayo
UNC
Duke
MUSC
Emory

I'm fine with using this list to post interview reviews, but if we want to start another thread for that, I think that's groovy too.

since I last posted I got:

Pittsburgh
UC Irvine
UCSD
UIC

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

Ok, I'm updating my list:

UMDNJ-RWJ- Camden
Jefferson
Einstein
Institute of Living
MCG
UNC
U of F
U of SF
U of Miami
MUSC
East Carolina
U of South Carolina

Waiting for Wake then I'm done :)

Please post your interview experiences! I'll be posting in two weeks :)

Hey everyone! Hope you all are well. Adding Mayo and Columbia to my list . . . decided to go on about 10 total.

Good luck, everyone!!! :)

Hey all, just thought that I would update my list. I applied to 11 programs and, to my surprise, actually got invited to all 11 programs. Here they are in the order received:

1. Wash. U., St.Louis
2. Vanderbilt
3. Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
4. Univ. of Minnesota
5. Univ. of North Carolina
6. Duke
7. Univ. of Michigan
8. Yale
9. Univ. of Pittsburgh
10. MGH
11. Univ. of Arkansas

I declined MGH, and plan to cancel Yale and UNC. My first interview is in two weeks, and I will post my experiences in the interview thread. Good luck to all on the interview trail.

To those who may read this post in the future: When it is time for you to apply, I encourage you to submit you ERAS materials--EVEN if it's JUST YOUR CV--as early as possible. Three of my classmates received interviews with ONLY their CV submitted.

mosche said:
Hey all, just thought that I would update my list. I applied to 11 programs and, to my surprise, actually got invited to all 11 programs. Here they are in the order received:

1. Wash. U., St.Louis
2. Vanderbilt
3. Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
4. Univ. of Minnesota
5. Univ. of North Carolina
6. Duke
7. Univ. of Michigan
8. Yale
9. Univ. of Pittsburgh
10. MGH
11. Univ. of Arkansas

I declined MGH, and plan to cancel Yale and UNC. My first interview is in two weeks, and I will post my experiences in the interview thread. Good luck to all on the interview trail.

To those who may read this post in the future: When it is time for you to apply, I encourage you to submit you ERAS materials--EVEN if it's JUST YOUR CV--as early as possible. Three of my classmates received interviews with ONLY their CV submitted.

Moshe, whats your reasoning for turning down MGH, Yale, and UNC?

anyone applying VVVV ?

nortomaso said:
Moshe, whats your reasoning for turning down MGH, Yale, and UNC?

My reasons are really silly--according to my parents and my SO :laugh: . I really want to stay in the midwest or south. I figure that, after residency, I will practice in the midwest; thus, I really have nothing to lose by staying here. Second, the cost of living! I hate to admit this, but I am NOT good with money (actually, I'm too good with spending it--if spending money were a sport, I'd be an olympic gold medalist!).. Therefore, it's really best that I live in an area where the cost of living/rent is NOT outrageous--bye,bye MGH/YALE. As for UNC, I really don't want to relocate that far for a program that is on par with my home school.

I applied to extra schools originally, because I really DID NOT expect to get as many interview offers as I did; so, I covered my bases. Since I do not want to study at those schools, I figure that I will cancel my interviews so that others can have the spots, and so that I do not wastw their time.

BTW nortomaso, I have read several of your posts in the past and have always found them to be helpful/insightful. Thank you.

mosche

mosche said:
My reasons are really silly--according to my parents and my SO :laugh: . I really want to stay in the midwest or south. (...)
I applied to extra schools originally, because I really DID NOT expect to get as many interview offers as I did; so, I covered my bases. Since I do not want to study at those schools, I figure that I will cancel my interviews so that others can have the spots, and so that I do not wastw their time.

mosche

These are not silly reasons, mosche--if you don't want to live in the NE, there is no reason you should even waste the money on airfare to interview there--Big Name Reputations be danged!

mosche said:
Second, the cost of living! I hate to admit this, but I am NOT good with money (actually, I'm too good with spending it--if spending money were a sport, I'd be an olympic gold medalist!).. Therefore, it's really best that I live in an area where the cost of living/rent is NOT outrageous--bye,bye MGH/YALE.
Actually, as far as cost of living goes, New Haven is not bad. I have a buddy at Yale and he says it's quite affordable.

-AT.

OldPsychDoc said:
These are not silly reasons, mosche--if you don't want to live in the NE, there is no reason you should even waste the money on airfare to interview there--Big Name Reputations be danged!

Mosche, thank you and congrats on getting interviews at every program you applied to. I agree that your reasons are not silly. Finances are weighing heavily in my decision-making as well; I'm fearful of slipping further into the hole during residency. But I disagree with OldPsychDoc that interviewing at a program you probably won't attend is a waste of money. I'm planning on an academic career and am looking forward to having the opportunity of speaking to faculty members at various institutions, just to see who is out there, what they're working on, what their like, and hopefully get some ideas for future projects/directions. I think the interview process offers us a pretty unique opportunity to do this and so I prefer to view it as more than just a search for a job.

I would like to make a comment about prestige. I did an away elective at a prestigious institution and was very disappointed by the encounters I had with its residents. When asked about the program, they would consistently offer vague superlatives without any specifics as to what made their program better than others. They would cite the presence of distinguished faculty members without explaining how their presence directly contributed to their education, and they seemed in awe of their attendings. When I asked several of them about their rank order lists, it seemed apparent that they had ranked programs in terms of perceived prestige-- three residents I spoke to all had the same top three choices in the same order.

I came away from this experience wondering whether the prestige factor might actually be harmful in some cases. These residents were so infatuated with their institution that I couldn't help thinking that it was hindering their intellectual development-- they certainly seemed unlikely to question anyone's intellectual authority and shake things up. Anyway, a good experience overall for me as it gave me one more thing to watch out for on the interview trail.

Has anyone heard from UCSF? They're the only program I haven't heard from yet. (I got interviews everywhere else - yay :) ) Anyway, they have this supplemental application, which I faxed back in September. I sent them an email asking them to confirm that they got it, and got no response. Then I got a generic "Dear Applicant" email reminder about the supplemental application, and at the end it said to disregard this email if you've already sent it. So this time I called to ask if they got it, and I got a recording. Called a few more times, same recording. They downloaded my final letter last week, so I left a voicemail asking them to call or email a confirmation that my application was complete aside from the dean's letter. I haven't heard a peep out of them.

So I'm wondering, do they have something against me, or are they this non-communicative to everybody?

Ugh, this is frustrating. In addition to their non-communication, they have two interview dates designated as "basic science days" which are the dates I would want since I'm interested in a research track. But I have no idea which I would be assigned to, so I can't schedule the rest of my west coast interviews until I hear from them. Argh.

I got UCSF last week, dont give up, I think they are slow!!

Poety said:
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

Ok, I'm updating my list:

UMDNJ-RWJ- Camden
Jefferson
Einstein
Institute of Living
MCG
UNC
U of F
U of SF
U of Miami
MUSC
East Carolina
U of South Carolina

Waiting for Wake then I'm done :)

Please post your interview experiences! I'll be posting in two weeks :)

Adding Wake Forest! wooo hooo 13, I'm DONE!

i m updating my list

Brown! (dont know why, but this highlights my career)
LIJ
Mt.Sinai(Cabrini)
Beth Israel
St. Lukes
UVA
U of Maryland
MUSC

still no rejections, wondering if folks are just not gonna write back. Has anyone heard from St. Vincents? or Cambridge? Thanks and good luck!

2010 said:
I got UCSF last week, dont give up, I think they are slow!!

Thanks 2010! :)

updating my list too.

Columbia, Brown, and Longwood....almost done! Still waiting on Cambridge and Tufts.

Hi guys. My updated list is: UC Davis, UVA, USF, Cincinnati, UCSD, Stanford. I have not heard from Pitt, UCSF, or UCLA. Good luck to all.

Heard from Longwwod yesterday, s/p Dean's Letter.

Still haven't heard from MGH, Columbia, UCSF, and OHSU.

Enjoy your interviews everyone. I'll start posting impressions next week.

Has anyone heard from:

Southern Illinois University
U of Kansas
U of Kentucky
U of Louisville
Kalamzoo
Michigan state university
U of missouri-columbia
Creighton
Med Univ of Ohio
Ohio State U.
East Tennessee
Meharry
U of Tenn.
Eastern VA
WVU-charleston

Congratulations to everyone.
I have been offered interviews at NYU, Albert Einstein, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Harvard-Longwood, MGH, BU, Yale, Penn, Pitt, Harbor-UCLA, Stanford.

Waiting to hear from UCLA!

Good luck.

Smash500 said:
Congratulations to everyone.
I have been offered interviews at NYU, Albert Einstein, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Harvard-Longwood, MGH, BU, Yale, Penn, Pitt, Harbor-UCLA, Stanford.

Waiting to hear from UCLA!

Good luck.

Thats an impressive list Smash, congratulations :)

Got a voice message from UCSF today. They just assigned me a date-- about 5 weeks after my Stanford interview. Not sure if I'm going to accept as I don't fancy making two trips to California.

tiger4evr said:
i've never posted to a forum out of shyness, but i've been eavesdropping (and i'm not even a gunner) and felt bad...
here are my invites so far: wash u., st. louis u., usc and ucla-sfv. any other d.o. applicants getting interviews?

i'll add North General Hospital and St. Luke's Roosevelt (from last week), but I'm seriously starting to get concerned... Has anyone been getting interviews this week?

tiger4evr said:
i'll add North General Hospital and St. Luke's Roosevelt (from last week), but I'm seriously starting to get concerned... Has anyone been getting interviews this week?

Got MGH and Columbia via e-mail today. Only program I haven't heard from is OHSU.

so, as i said. be careful :( ]

Poety said:
who be careful?

I was wondering the same thing -- I just assumed that I had missed a post at some point in the thread. :confused: :laugh:

At what point do you guys think it's basically over? The Dean's letter has been out for almost a week now. I figure if I was going to get more interviews, it would be in the past week. Maybe in another week. After that, are the invites basically over until people starting cancelling in December?

dynamite said:
At what point do you guys think it's basically over? The Dean's letter has been out for almost a week now. I figure if I was going to get more interviews, it would be in the past week. Maybe in another week. After that, are the invites basically over until people starting cancelling in December?

hey dynamite,

yup, i'm in the same boat...i was expecting more interviews last week after the dean's letter, but nada. oh well, will do what i can with what i have i guess. maybe one or two will trickle in. you and i applied at the same time, so maybe we're on the same schedule. i applied 0ct. 7 and now have 10 intvs.

maybe a few more will trickle in...who knows.

Have interviews at: Vermont, Dartmouth, Wisconsin
Waiting to hear from OHSU, New mexico, Seattle, Maine, Charleston (SC)
Anybody heard from them? I know a few people on this thread have heard from Seattle....

Good luck to everyone!
Best Wishes,
Steve :luck:

I heard from New Mexico a few weeks ago, but still waiting on OHSU. Good luck to you too.

pigeonfool said:
Anybody heard from them? I know a few people on this thread have heard from Seattle....

Good luck to everyone!
Best Wishes,

Yay, UCLA NPI today by email.
(also Cal Pacific, forgot to add earlier)

pigeonfool...and others

interviews:
Duke
Univ. Maryland
Univ. Washington (seattle)
UCLA (NPI)
UCLA (Harbor)
UCI
UCSD
Colorado
Emory
USC (so cal)
Hawaii

waiting on Harvard programs, OHSU, George Washington, Cedars Siani

pigeonfool said:

Good luck to everyone!
Best Wishes,

I have MUSC (charleston) scheduled pigeon, and from what I understand so did all teh other applicants today at UNC, hope this helps!