Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is my updated list:
I thought it might help to learn who is hearing from whom. I'll start.

Interviews so far:

via email:
UAB*
Emory*
JHU
UW
UF
LIJ
SUNY Brooklyn*

via message through ERAS:
UNC*
Univ of Colorado
Yale
USF
Duke
Beth Israel*
St. Vincent's*
Mt. Sinai*
Cambridge*
UCSD*

via phone:
UCSF*

via Snail Mail:
Georgetown

Rejection:
Columbia
OHSU

Not heard from:
NYU
Cornell

* means I will attend interview.

I can't believe I got rejected at OHSU. I mean, I love Portland, but I haven't heard incredible things about the program. This whole process is such a crap shoot. Oh well, best of luck everyone. Anyone still hearing from places? I did an away at NYU, got a stellar letter there, and still haven't heard anything (yes, I've called). Frustrating process.

Members don't see this ad.

i just got one from SIU (southern illinois university) but they filled up in one day, so i may not get to go.

so either i was on the C list, and they already had a ton of filled slots, or people are much faster than me at replying.

and i totally agree about this whole process being a crap shoot. i do not understand the maddness.

If I recall right, NYU was one of the latest interview offers that I got. So I wouldn't give up on them quite yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
grunermann said:
I can't believe I got rejected at OHSU. I mean, I love Portland, but I haven't heard incredible things about the program. This whole process is such a crap shoot. Oh well, best of luck everyone. Anyone still hearing from places? I did an away at NYU, got a stellar letter there, and still haven't heard anything (yes, I've called). Frustrating process.

ditto. i did an away at ohsu. was told i'd be hearing from them "soon," but basically got a nice email saying "we're in the process of reviewing your application" ie "we're putting you on hold for seconds." sent them an email asking them if they had any interview slots for jan as i'll be in the area again for another interview, and no response. whatever. you have an awesome list. and i think we'll all make the best of wherever we end up.

Dinged by Yale - it has GOT to be the board scores :oops: right? I'm right right? yeah thats it... the board scores :laugh:

Poety said:
Dinged by Yale - it has GOT to be the board scores :oops: right? I'm right right? yeah thats it... the board scores :laugh:

Poety, how did the bad news come? Email?

MDgonnabe said:
ditto. i did an away at ohsu. was told i'd be hearing from them "soon," but basically got a nice email saying "we're in the process of reviewing your application" ie "we're putting you on hold for seconds." sent them an email asking them if they had any interview slots for jan as i'll be in the area again for another interview, and no response. whatever. you have an awesome list. and i think we'll all make the best of wherever we end up.

Doing an away at a place and shining and then not getting an interview has to be one of the worst feelings (at least it is for me). I can't imagine that psych programs place more value on paper or whatever than strong clinical performance and fitting in well. To me, it sends the message, "yeah, we've seen you perform and it's good and all, but we'd rather look at these complete strangers; we really don't trust our own attendings LORs...oh, and by the way, thanks for wasting all your money and time"

Best of luck everyone.

I did an away at cambridge hosp and I didn't get an interview. I haven't emailed or called to ask for one. Although I'm not happy about it, by the time I was done with my rotation, I had decided that I did not want to be a resident there. I was trying to figure out how I could get out of an interview day there too if they gave me one. So, with no invite, it ends the conundrum, but it does mean that I could have used that month to do something else. OTOH, it does mean that I know that I would not want to be there, which is definitely worth something because I thought it was going to be one of my top choices before I did my rotation!

gruner, that does indeed stink of nyu. maybe it was "politics?" who knows? but the bottom line is: would you want to go to a program that shafted you the way they did? i'd hope the answer is "hell no!" i'm sure you'll find somewhere better for yourself!

for me personally, ohsu was a wonderful environment to work in. the people were extremely kind, even the nurses at the superb va facility there. but i was iffy about how i'd fit in there considering my c-l goals, not to mention the fact that i don't really think i "clicked" with some of the residents. it's amazingly scary how we're going to dedicate 4, long years of our lives to these programs we've hardly gotten to know. a very flawed system, if you ask me, but one that seems to have no alternatives. in retrospect, i really regret not spending some time at the institution which i will probably rank as my #1. but we'll see how things go when i actually interview there...

stella_artois said:
I did an away at cambridge hosp [snip]by the time I was done with my rotation, I had decided that I did not want to be a resident there.

Stella, would you mind sharing why you didn't want to be a resident at Cambridge, after your rotation?

Many thanks!

psych2b said:
Stella, would you mind sharing why you didn't want to be a resident at Cambridge, after your rotation?

Many thanks!

To preface, other students were visiting at the same time as me, and they really enjoyed themselves and were happy with the hospital and the program. Cambridge is a community hosp and >70% of the beds were for psych patients.
I didn't like the rotation I was on, mainly because of how the day was structured. In terms of specific gripes - I thought that they rounded much later than they needed (they started at 3pm, which resulted in me staying until 7 most nights and they wanted me in at about 8 am, and the resident sometimes stayed til 9 pm at night), they were understaffed (only 1 pgy-2 resident) for a sizable workload, and discussed things ad nauseaum when I thought the topic had been adequately covered during yesterday or the day before or even during a previous day's rounds. Also, the attendings I worked with were very high on the fact that they were at Cambridge, which was really Harvard, as they often said. The residents did not seem like a close knit group and during the time that I was there, it did not seem like there were any social activities to encourage resident bonding. I also did not like the topics for grand rounds - they often did not seem to relate to psychiatry at all, or even the interdisciplinary nature that they emphasize as being the "cambridge way."
I had really high hopes for the program and I feel like it would not have been a good fit for me. Again, I feel bad saying negative things about a program, but other students there at the same time loved their experience at CHA - take all my criticisms with a grain of salt.

Has anyone tried the "Directory" function that is available after logging into the NRMP's website? It shows programs and also a "quota" with a number that is sometimes less than the number of positions offered on the FREIDA website.

Does it mean those programs have offered "pre-match" to applicants and are now displaying a decreased number of open positions for the match?

harvard south shore invitation today.

does anyone know anything about this program? i get the distinct impression it's not as prestigeous as the other harvard programs, but is the training good? or are the residents slave labor?

just got the invite today.

for those of you still waiting, they interview through feb 9th.

You're just collecting em aren't ya? CONGRATS MD!

Poety said:
You're just collecting em aren't ya? CONGRATS MD!

thanks, dollface. :hardy:

<blush> she called me "dollface" ahhh <sigh>

Harvard South Shore and LSU New Orleans today.