Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
felicity said:
my list so far:

unc
emory
duke
university of texas
university of maryland-sheppard pratt
northwestern

plus a nice little note from MUSC saying they like me, but they are waiting for my school to get their sh&& together and send all my stuff! that was very sweet, actually, because i was wondering about them...

I am very happy. This is really fun. I feel so lucky to be almost there! Isnt it funny how some schools send boring old email notifications, and others send these very happy zippy notes full of exclamation points (!!! DUKE!!!!!). It totally is already affecting my perspective on the school! I had heard some negative things about Duke but now I have a renewed perspective because of their happy chipper little email!

Cheers,
felicity

I agree 100%! I plan to cancel UNC; however, since Duke's e-mail was sooo nice, I think that I will still interview there!

Members don't see this ad.

mosche said:
I agree 100%! I plan to cancel UNC; however, since Duke's e-mail was sooo nice, I think that I will still interview there!

wtf? I havent gotten a zippy letter from duke OR a wheres your stuff letter from MUSC? the bahstahds....

I could swear that last week someone posted that they had already received an invite from Yale. I just looked back through the thread and was unable to find that post. :confused: Was I dreaming? :confused: If anyone has any idea/insight into Yale invites, PLEASE post!

Members don't see this ad :)
mosche said:
I could swear that last week someone posted that they had already received an invite from Yale. I just looked back through the thread and was unable to find that post. :confused: Was I dreaming? :confused: If anyone has any idea/insight into Yale invites, PLEASE post!

yeah mosche, the op has an interview to yale, and like 9000 other places ... I smell gunners in the psychiatry threads :laugh:

Poety said:
yeah mosche, the op has an interview to yale, and like 9000 other places ... I smell gunners in the psychiatry threads :laugh:

Okay, it's +pad+ official: I'm a blind dork!

mosche said:
Okay, it's +pad+ official: I'm a blind dork!

If you got your panties in a knot over yale then you ARE a dork mosche, but we love you anyway :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For any of the folks wondering about DOs gettin interviews or just in general for the other nice people out there in the Psych world, I will begin my trail....

UVA
U of Maryland
MUSC
Beth Israel NY

I too got suckered my the MGH email, I thought it was gonna be a great day, but man, I think that was the biggest tease EVER. It feels like the Northeast programs are taking their jolly time.
Good Luck all!

Poety said:

Wow, I think that's the first time I've been called a gunner. I don't know whether to laugh or cry lol. I've just kept mine in one post so it's more concise. Yeah, I got an invite to Yale, but UCSF is showing no love, and I'm not sure I expect them too. Oh well.

BTW, I just got the email from Duke. It was kinda creepy what they knew. I mentioned my sig other in my PS; he was personally invited to attend things for Duke. Personal or weird...i'm not sure yet.

Good luck to everyone else. It's gonna be an exciting year!

grunermann said:
Wow, I think that's the first time I've been called a gunner. I don't know whether to laugh or cry lol. I've just kept mine in one post so it's more concise. Yeah, I got an invite to Yale, but UCSF is showing no love, and I'm not sure I expect them too. Oh well.

BTW, I just got the email from Duke. It was kinda creepy what they knew. I mentioned my sig other in my PS; he was personally invited to attend things for Duke. Personal or weird...i'm not sure yet.

Good luck to everyone else. It's gonna be an exciting year!

OMG - NOW the Duke people are not only sending out invites, they're INVITING S.O.'s and I don't even get a "I got your application?" WTF!!!! :(

Yeah they are a buncho creepy bahstahs :D

now, grunermann, why is your s.o. mentioned in the p.s. btw? juicy juicy --- do tell :clap: :clap: :clap:

Poety said:
OMG - NOW the Duke people are not only sending out invites, they're INVITING S.O.'s and I don't even get a "I got your application?" WTF!!!! :(

Yeah they are a buncho creepy bahstahs :D

now, grunermann, why is your s.o. mentioned in the p.s. btw? juicy juicy --- do tell :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok people I have the feeling that invites to duke are being sent out very slowly. My email, as I alluded to, had a very personal touch from the program director on a sunday night after 7! She alluded to how slowly the process is going for her. Plus, my email is coming a few days after others started receiving emails.

As for mentioning my sig. other, I played the gay card :) I figured that surviving being gay, out, admitting to wanting to do psychiatry (all during surgery) deserved some praise from programs :)

Again, be patient everyone. I bet a lot of people hear from Duke over the week.

Anyone ever driven from Raleigh/Durham to Charleston, SC? How long and tiring a drive is it? I would like to knock out the south in a week, but don't want to kill myself.

I have received the following invites:
UNC
Wash U
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Yale
Case Western Reserve
Cleveland Clinic
U Mich

still waiting on some others:

in particular, does anyone know anything about Mayo's program and when they invite for interviews?
someone mentioned "negative" things they heard about Duke, what were those things?

I'm also in the couples match boat with my SO in a more competetive field... here's my list of invites so far:

U Chicago
Northwestern
Wash U
Michigan
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
UCLA-Harbor
UCLA-NPI (I was on an away rotation and they interviewed me while I was out there. It seemed like they don't normally get into gear until at least November 1st.)

Members don't see this ad :)
email rejection from univ. of pitt

didn't wanna move there, anyway. awaiting more rejections...

Whew!! Finally got my first invite today. Feeling a little better now.

Beth Israel in NYC

dynamite said:
Whew!! Finally got my first invite today. Feeling a little better now.

Beth Israel in NYC

CONGRATULATIONS DYNAMITE!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

UMDNJ- Newark
NYMC-WCMC
U. of Florida
U. of South Florida
UCSF-Fresno
Maricopa

-DO in 2006 :oops:

Thanks poety :D !! I was getting a little nervous after looking at all the interviews y'all have been getting. Hopefully this will only be the beginning. :luck:

BTW, why can't I stop checking ERAS??!! It's like 10:30. The Yanks are playing. The Steelers are on MNF. Why am I compelled to check the damn ERAS every 5 minutes knowing that nobody would send me an email right now? Talk about compulsion... Help me!! Maybe I should just unplug the internet...

Heard from Duke over the weekend as well, very personalized e-mail and follow-up e-mails regarding things she thought I'd be interested in. Her personal touch is renowned (is that a word, or did I make it up, or is it just misspelled?).
I agree with previous posters, that the PD seemed to be slogging through the multitude of app's and sending out very personal e-mails late Sunday night - she can't have managed to go through them all at this point... Don't throw out your chickens before the eggs hatch... uh, or something like that. :laugh:

MUSC also sent a nice little note from their program director, letting me know they were eagerly anticipating my two other letters and transcripts. It's possible that those of you who haven't heard, actually already have all your stuff in, so you don't need the little "love note" encouragements to get your stuff sent in. ;) *laugh* (as opposed to their not "loving" you, you actually are on top of it).

Anyway, no other love on these parts. Our dean said that as long as we got 3 interviews, we'd place somewhere. And I'd be content at any of the places so far - maybe not ECSTATIC, but content, you know? Geez, I love 4th year Med school, how much does this rock compared to our first three years? :love:

-psych2b

Got a lot of interviews so far

Wash U
UW
UTSW
UNC
Emory
Vanderbilt
Yale
U Penn
Baylor
U Wisconsin
U Maralynd Shep/Pratt

Waiting for Pittsburgh???? Amyone heard from them?????

Dont dispair,

There are a lot of programs out there!!!1

Just got email rejection from Vanderbilt - didn't want to live in TN anyway, but ouch it kinda stings doesn't it? :thumbdown: :oops:

Poety said:
Just got email rejection from Vanderbilt - didn't want to live in TN anyway, but ouch it kinda stings doesn't it? :thumbdown: :oops:

Ive heard nothing but bad things about that place anyway!!!

Hey everyone,

Hope you all are doing well! Sorry I have not been posting the last month or so . . . finished up my applications, then stuck in the OR with a bunch of GYN docs . . . very painful, but so happy to be finished with that torture. Anyway, I am happy to say my interviews are starting to roll in. Congrats to everyone with interviews so far! And to those awaiting particular places, stay calm and keep your chin up, it's still pretty early! Most of my invites have offered interviews from November until late January, or even early February.

Interviews (All via email, except USF by phone)
UF
USF
UM-Jackson Memorial
Hopkins
Cornell
NYU
UVa
UMD/Sheppard Pratt
Emory
MUSC

Best of luck! Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail :)

WOW! I finally got an invite from Yale today at 11:00 a.m.! I had almost given up on it!

mosche said:
WOW! I finally got an invite from Yale today at 11:00 a.m.! I had almost given up on it!

YOU ROCK MOSCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooo HOOOOOOOOOoo :thumbup:

you are THE man <bowing> :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I GOT MY FIRST REJECTION WOOOOOO HOooooo lol :laugh:

2010 re Vanderbilt said:
Ive heard nothing but bad things about that place anyway!!!

Like what?

hey i have some questions about mayo--did anyone even apply there? do you know what kind of a program it is--or what have you heard?

How about case western or cleveland clinic? how well do those rank? i heard cleveland clinic is questionable because they just recently moved away from the main hospital--what do you know about that?

ANy info regarding these would be very much appreciated!! Thanks and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Hurricane said:
Like what?

I am interested in research, and its quite minimal there. Also they have a new chairman staring in Jan. which could be good or bad. Nashville is a nice place to live, but the clinical training is middle tier at best. I spent a year there before med school and got some inside opinions, and I family in other departments at Vandy. Of course you need to visit and get your own impression, It might be right for you.

2010 said:
I am interested in research, and its quite minimal there. Also they have a new chairman staring in Jan. which could be good or bad. Nashville is a nice place to live, but the clinical training is middle tier at best. I spent a year there before med school and got some inside opinions, and I family in other departments at Vandy. Of course you need to visit and get your own impression, It might be right for you.

Thanks for the info!

DeltaChi said:
hey i have some questions about mayo--did anyone even apply there? do you know what kind of a program it is--or what have you heard?

How about case western or cleveland clinic? how well do those rank? i heard cleveland clinic is questionable because they just recently moved away from the main hospital--what do you know about that?

ANy info regarding these would be very much appreciated!! Thanks and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
CCF has an extremely well regarded C-L service. It's kind of an interesting sight if you're there in the morning to see the 3 teams fan out. Don't know much about the program in general. I did hear about them moving to a different location, but I don't know how that has affected the residents' learning opportunities or quality of life in general.

Case attracts a lot of applicants interested in forensic psych, because they all want to work with Phillip Resnick. The program director, Dr. William Campbell, is new (2 years, I think), but all of the residents are big fans of his. He works hard to support them and since he has come on he has made a number of changes that have increased their quality of life and exposure to educational opportunities. If he gets you into a room one-on-one, he'll sell you on the program, and he's a damn good salesman. (He has an MBA. Maybe that has something to do with it.)

Cheers
-AT.

atsai3 said:
CCF has an extremely well regarded C-L service. It's kind of an interesting sight if you're there in the morning to see the 3 teams fan out. Don't know much about the program in general. I did hear about them moving to a different location, but I don't know how that has affected the residents' learning opportunities or quality of life in general.

Case attracts a lot of applicants interested in forensic psych, because they all want to work with Phillip Resnick. The program director, Dr. William Campbell, is new (2 years, I think), but all of the residents are big fans of his. He works hard to support them and since he has come on he has made a number of changes that have increased their quality of life and exposure to educational opportunities. If he gets you into a room one-on-one, he'll sell you on the program, and he's a damn good salesman. (He has an MBA. Maybe that has something to do with it.)

Cheers
-AT.

whats ccf?

atsai3 said:
oops
Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

updated list:

UMDNJ
Jefferson
UNC
U of F
U of Miami
Palmetto
MCG
Einstein - today by eras/email
Institue of living

Poety said:
updated list:

UMDNJ
Jefferson
UNC
U of F
U of Miami
Palmetto
MCG
Einstein
Institue of living

What's the Institute of living?

dynamite said:
What's the Institute of living?

Its a program in Hartford, assoc with Hartford Hospital - I knew about it because I grew up in MA and its kinda well known in the NE ... at least where I grew up :)

University of Maryland! Nice!!

So far:
Beth Israel
Univ. of Maryland

Wow, when I list it, it seems really SHORT!! Actually, you guys think that most programs don't offer interviews till your app is complete? Univ. of Maryland only requires two letters of rec. and my second one was uploaded just today and now I have an offer from them. So, maybe I'm not gettin any love cause my two remaining letters aren't in yet! Would this be what you psychiatrists call "rationalization?" :D

Update . . . adding Baylor and Pitt . . .

UF
USF
UM-Jackson Memorial
Hopkins
Cornell
NYU
UVa
UMD/Sheppard Pratt
Emory
MUSC
Baylor
Pittsburgh

Poety said:
Its a program in Hartford, assoc with Hartford Hospital - I knew about it because I grew up in MA and its kinda well known in the NE ... at least where I grew up :)

Hey Dynamite, Congrats on the interviews!!! UMD is a great school. I think you're correct (and not just rationalizing), most of my invites came on days when a part of my application was completed. So, for example, the day my transcript went up, I heard from a few; the day my final letter went up, a couple more, etc. I'm sure you'll start hearing more when you're other letters roll in!

dynamite said:
University of Maryland! Nice!!

So far:
Beth Israel
Univ. of Maryland

Wow, when I list it, it seems really SHORT!! Actually, you guys think that most programs don't offer interviews till your app is complete? Univ. of Maryland only requires two letters of rec. and my second one was uploaded just today and now I have an offer from them. So, maybe I'm not gettin any love cause my two remaining letters aren't in yet! Would this be what you psychiatrists call "rationalization?" :D

BCS_001 said:
Update . . . adding Baylor and Pitt . . .

UF
USF
UM-Jackson Memorial
Hopkins
Cornell
NYU
UVa
UMD/Sheppard Pratt
Emory
MUSC
Baylor
Pittsburgh

Going to hang myself soon if I dont hear from Pitt,

also adding
Umass to my list

2010 said:
Going to hang myself soon if I dont hear from Pitt,

also adding
Umass to my list

bcs o1 are you gunna GO to all these interviews?? yikes! :scared: :wow: :wow: :wow:

felt shy about posting, but guilty about reading and not contributing: ucsf, stanford, ucla/sfva, usc, san mateo... i haven't gotten any more invites in the past 2 weeks, but hoping that this will change after the dean's letter goes out

psychgirl06 said:
felt shy about posting, but guilty about reading and not contributing: ucsf, stanford, ucla/sfva, usc, san mateo... i haven't gotten any more invites in the past 2 weeks, but hoping that this will change after the dean's letter goes out

PsychGirl,

Are you applying anywhere outside of CA? I'm on the East Coast and have already set up interviews for UPENN, Duke, Pitt, JHU, and Yale; but absolutely no word from Stanford or UCSF. I'm wondering if there are regional biases--i.e., programs invite local candidates first.

psychgirl06 said:

Wow!! Very impressive. I'm also on the East Coast and haven't heard from any Cali schools. Great job psychgirl06! :)

Has anyone heard from OHSU? They still haven't even dl'ed my application!!! I can't believe that!

I feel your pain, Gruner--no download love from ohsu here, either.

watto said:
I feel your pain, Gruner--no download love from ohsu here, either.

I just don't understand...ok, I'm going to breathe deeply, but if Nov 2nd roles around and there is still nothing, I don't know what to think :)